Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Which game/mod are people mostly talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sorry for the kind of stupid question, but which of the three 'base' games do I need to have installed in order to go on to run Anomaly and then Gamma?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bohemian Nights posted:

Zero! It's completely stand-alone and free

Huh. I kind of assumed it had to depend on the installed games for textures etc. I guess GSC considers that an active community playing STALKER games is nothing but a good thing for them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there anything I should know Before I Play? My understanding is that the STALKER modding community tends toward sadism.

Edit: How do I disable the headbob? I seem to tilt left and right with every step and it gives me an immediate headache.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 12, 2023

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

alex314 posted:

I advise you to also remove the requirement of saving only in safe spaces.

Is that in Settings or MCM?

Thanks for the info on headbob and DOF.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

So in my latest play session, I learned that you start to slowly die of dehydration when you're down to 3 of the 6ish bars on your thirst meter.

I should probably figure out where to obtain water.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Namnesor posted:

In vanilla STALKER getting an exoskeleton is just an end-game upgrade with zero downsides, and in that context it's not very interesting.

In ShoC it made you unable to sprint, and had insufficient radiation protection for the endgame (which took place in the power plant itself).

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Are upgrade kits an alternative to paying mechanics for it?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That said, if you ever find an MP-153 "Carabiner" it gets my "best shotgun in the zone" seal of approval.

Is a regular MP-153 decent, or does it need to be the Carabiner variant?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is it possible to convert powder between types? Recorn it or something?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Radiation is listed as being an Anomaly in the PDA guide stuff, so it is quite possible that they do.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Namnesor posted:

That's... okay then.

I'm thinking maybe next I'll play a bit more peacefully and go Ecologist, or be everyone's enemy as a Bandit.

Be everyone's enemy as Monolith.
Thus starting with a vintorez and defying the curse

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You can recharge melters by dragging them over spare trash artifacts.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Arrath posted:

I like making a risky run to Wild Territory once I have a shotgun with more than two shots and a fair few slugs. Carefully dome a few mercs and chances are you'll come up with some decent gear.

But without advanced tools you won't be able to repair it to usable condition.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

moller posted:

Is this a thing in GAMMA? I'm spending like 10 minutes coming through the tall grass looking for boar carcasses. Is my install broken?

What model is your PDA?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You're almost certainly going to have to build the Better PDA yourself. Start saving capacitors.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Put Hides on your belt instead. They offer very good bonuses for when they're available with little to no downside.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Make sure to use AP ammo in Dead City. Exos can be troublesome otherwise.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

She can accompany the player for a few missions and the devs don't want her to die instantly to a bandit she wandered into.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I thought it was the psysuckers who generated the ghosts? They turn invisible so it can be hard to tell, but I tended to fire a burst at where the ghosts seemed to be coming from and often took one down.

There is a burer, but they don't create ghosts.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 25, 2023

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How is .45 for antimutant these days? It's been nerfed a time or two I understand.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tons of expired military rations too.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Let he who has never ground up a Jellyfish and snorted it cast the first stone.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Note that the special psy-protective hat is a plot element only and does not provide protection against anything except the two specific plot things it protects against.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

causticBeet posted:

Once you get rolling a bit more, Rostok is a machine that turns random mutant parts and assorted garbage into easy stashes and money. Taskboard on the PDA is a key tool here, making it super easy to hover up turn-ins for stuff you already have and missions that match whatever you are looking to do.

It can be worth keeping a locker here with a few hundred kilos of assorted mutant parts so whenever someone wants something you can immediately fish it out and turn it in.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Low-% parts are basically worthless. If a gun has no high-% parts it is also worthless. Leave it where it dropped.

Electronics are always in short supply though. Disassemble every spare electronic item you find and stash all the bits.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Remember that you can set up stashes of your own anywhere you choose by dropping a backpack.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Namnesor posted:

You're not practically locked out of any area, but faction relations can effectively lock you out of areas. With bullets.

You are locked out of the north until you Do Stuff.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

Also, where do i get a sharper knife?

Butcher in the old aircraft hangar in the Garbage.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

There's also Chernobylite, where you go into daily runs into the zone then come back to our bunker and spend the evening using what you brought back to prepare for the next outing.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

aniviron posted:

I did that too, but then the boxes started getting full enough to cause performance issues...

My boxes couldn’t hold that much each so I had a bunch of them that I’d rummage through looking for the part that I swear I had here somewhere. It’s very immersive.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

My main complaint about artifacts was that collecting them was entirely pointless in the early/mid game. There was nothing that could be done with an artifact without a whole lot of effort so just leave them where they lie.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

In the original S.T.A.L.K.E.R I obsessed about keeping my base loadout lightweight so I could run 5% further before running out of stamina.
This was cancelled out by also wanting to carry more ammo than anyone could ever possibly need*.

* I needed every single round

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Grok should really add a medic to the Rookie Village or The Farm in Cordon.

Real Stalkers rub some dirt on it then drink an entire bottle of vodka.