Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So there is demo for a fun game in the current Survival Fest on Steam that STALKER fans might enjoy. Its called Zero Sievert and its basically a mix between STALKER and Escape from Tarkov with the gameplay and visual style of a top-down Roguelite shooter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLIKgOZXv10

I sunk about 12 hours into it the last few days and finished all the missions available in the demo. I'll definitely be buying this when it comes out, it absolutely nails the STALKER and Tarkov vibes so far.

Some random thoughts/tips for those that try the demo:

• Don't bother buying guns from the traders, get the workshop and you can eventually fix one you loot in raid, and several of the quests will offer a selection of guns as a reward.
  • It may be tempting to use a looted gun, but the penalty for their low durability (which is usually 25-40%) is pretty stiff.
  • Choose the recycling hideout upgrade for one of your hideout slots and prioritize it alongside the workshop. It makes a big difference in the amount of scrap you get back from scrapping trash guns and ammo.
  • 7.62x39 PS does work, just like Tarkov. Fix yourself up an SKS (or get one as a quest reward eventually) and it'll do great until you can get your hands on an AKM. Alternatively the Nugget is always reliable, though not ideal against mutants/wildlife packs or in close quarters.
  • You're really squishy first, but once you get some decent armor your can survive a lot of fights better. Make sure to keep your armor in good repair.
  • I found it more cost effective to just pay for armor repairs as it seemed to take significant amounts of weapon scrap to repair even modest armor damage.
  • Weight capacity sucks at first, backpack upgrades are a top priority, and once you get your stamina skill up I highly suggest the Mule specialization for the extra carry capacity.
  • Once you get a decent carry weight, always try to grab an extra gun to take out of the raid with you, preferably one with attachments, as those can sell for a decent amount (or be useful upgrades) and you can scrap the gun for weapon parts to fix your poo poo up.
  • Sniping is surprisingly viable, and much like Tarkov carrying a sidearm as backup can help if you have to go into cramped areas, the APS is surprisingly good despite using 9x18.
  • Much like Tarkov get stash upgrades ASAP.
  • A lot of the loot is kinda useless, for the demo at least. Have a rough idea of what you need for your hideout upgrades and otherwise just grab valuable loot.
  • Valuable loot includes obvious stuff like Watches, chains, cigarettes, and the crystals from anomaly fields. However there is some other stuff that is surprisingly valuable, such as Alenka Chocolate (not the generic ones), bottles of coke, and gameboys/playstations (these are extremely valuable!).
  • Keep an ear out for the sound of a jet plane. If you hear that check your map shortly after for an air drop marker. It'll have a crate full of goodies ranging from guns (in perfect condition), attachments, ammo, and food. They seem to either attract or generate random hostiles though, so be careful.
  • Don't pick medical recipe books as quest rewards, they were the only ones I ever found in raid. (and honestly after a while I was getting so much medical stuff as loot I never felt the need to craft advanced medical stuff).
  • Go for ammunition books IMO, I never found any and was stuck with HP ammo as the only thing I could craft, meaning I pretty much bought all my ammo.
  • The barman's ammo selection kinda sucks, basically nothing but Hollowpoints and other civilian grade stuff. Once you get access to the Green Army trader you can get PS rounds.
  • When it comes to other humans its more Tarkov than Stalker, the "Loners" in the raid are not friendly and will still shoot your rear end if they see you, so shoot first. Same goes for the Green Army guys, you may be working for their boss but they'll still try to kill you in raid. This might change if you're wearing a Green Army armor suit. I don't know, I stuck to the Totally Not a Sunrise suit Barman sells.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Aug 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The Zero Sievert Demo (an updated one actually) is up again for anyone interested in trying it out that missed it the first time.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Is there a good install guide for GAMMA, all of you gushing about it is starting to convince me to give it a try. Been a long time since I was last in the Zone.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Any good beginner tips for GAMMA? I remember seeing some good advice previously but digging back a bit I can't find anything obvious.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

1. It helps to begin with a decent shotgun of some sort.

Unfortunately because I started on Survivalist (this isn't my first time in the zone afterall) a decent shotgun wasn't an option. I ended up going with a 1911, a Sunrise Suit, and some misc things. The pistol is working decently enough so far. That said, looks like getting a new weapon is going to be a bit of work, isn't it? I did manage to get an over-under double barrel off a bandit, but its in horrible condition, hopefully I can find parts for it eventually.

Done some odd jobs, will probably pick up a multitool next time I get a decent payday after having picked up a cookset to help solve food issues. Haven't left cordon yet, but I got a stash location each in Garbage and Swamp I could go check out. Also managed to get some artefacts (The kind that actually need to be shoved in the containers to prevent radiation) but Sidorovich doesn't seem to be interested in purchasing them, I guess I'll have to haul them to Rostok or the Scientist Bunker?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Speaking of the non radioactive artifacts, they seem to have “perks”. Does using those perks require mounting the artifact to your belt (I think this is a thing, can’t quite remember a couple years since I played Anomaly) or does keeping it in the inventory work.

Good point in mentioning keeping stash size reasonable. I should keep the cordon one lean and set up a stash up in Garbage where it’d be convenient to shift up to Rostok eventually. Is Rostok still a good, centralized location for a loner to setup their “main base”? I dunno if GAMMA added a bunch of maps.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So uh, if I went to sleep too early and woke up at 3am and its dark and scary out... what can I do to pass the time? Either literally or just keeping myself occupied. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I forgot how miserable the Clear Sky Swamps are. Bad sightlines, mutants everywhere, awkward pathing, and best of all "Oh sorry did you dip your toe in the water for a half second? Have a shitton of rads"

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

well it cost me nearly a hundred rounds of .45 and almsot all my food/meds/vodka but I got a few jobs in the swamps done and the stash I originally went in to check out had a basic toolkit. So now I just gotta figure out somewhere to start setting up a base. Whats a good source of wood and metal scraps? Just breaking down junk items? Where do I get junk items besides buying them? I don't got much cash after restocking.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Any advice for getting my hands on gun repair kits? Is it easier to scavenger the bits to craft them, or to just buy them (or buy the parts)?

I really need to get something better than this 1911, lol.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Namnesor posted:

Definitely don't buy full repair kits, buy or scavenge the constituent parts and craft it yourself.

Unless you are extremely wealthy and the repair kit is outside of your current repair tools level, then maybe it'd be worth it.

The handgun repair kit was 12-13k, the repair items needed to craft it would've cost more than that. Maybe the math works out differently for more advanced repair kits, or maybe its cause I'm on Survivalist.

Anyways, I have a handgun kit now after buying it thanks to a good chain of missions paying out decently. Reviewing my pile of parts and guns, I managed to put together a PP-19 with only two mags and barely any ammo for it. Finally something that isn't a pistol!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Is cooking using a campfire broken in Gamma? I try to use my field cooking kit next to a fire (close enough for the extinguish prompt to show up) and it still consumes fuel charges from the kit.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh I guess it could be that the cook kit itself has limited uses.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 18, 2023

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Top tier the multi-fuel stove?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Huh, the garbage piles in Garbage aren't radioactive anymore? How the zone has changed.

Also I wish these stashes would stop giving me compression bags, I have 4 of them now, and no sleeping bag to compress!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The handgun repair kit was 12-13k, the repair items needed to craft it would've cost more than that. Maybe the math works out differently for more advanced repair kits, or maybe its cause I'm on Survivalist.

Anyways, I have a handgun kit now after buying it thanks to a good chain of missions paying out decently. Reviewing my pile of parts and guns, I managed to put together a PP-19 with only two mags and barely any ammo for it. Finally something that isn't a pistol!

Wait a second, I think I may have made a fundamental mistake in my understanding of this:

Does that mean I need four of those 12 ga repair kits or a single kit with at least four CHARGES?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Its your health display. The top is your PSY attribute, lowered by psychic damage. If that empties, you die from brain frying. Bottom most bar is your stamina (full good) and above that radiation exposure (Empty good).

The bit in the middle is your health display, the small bars are individual body parts (Head, Torso, limbs). The person in the center is an overall health bar of sorts, if that empties you die. If the smaller bars empty bad things happen. Limbs will break and severely hamper you, torso and head bars emptying might kill you? I don't think I've had those empty, or never seen them fully empty (I don't tend to look close if I've been killed).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ahhhh, finally a shotgun, and a good pump action one to boot! I finally feel like I have something that I can properly take on mutants with. It was worth dropping almost 15k on those two parts that seemed to refuse to drop.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah thats why I was willing to sink the cash into it instead of keep hoping for bits. This is an investment that'll hopefully last a loonnng part of my career.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Apparently the multi-fuel stove can't use campfires instead of fuel. :eng99:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Made some good progress tonight. Managed to make a Medium Armor repair kit so I fixed up a CS-2t and Screen Helmet I've had stashed. The CS-2t doesn't seem that great, but its still a nice upgrade over my Sunrise suit, besides rad resist, which the screen helmet more than compensates for. Also cobbled together a bear detector, not that I've been doing much artefact hunting given my poor anomaly protection.

I think I'll finally be feeling confident once I manage to replace the PP-19 with an actual rifle of some kind. The shotgun has been such a boon. I can kill mutants so much easier now with far less ammo cost and much less likely to get hurt costing money in meds. I finally have a decent bit of cash even after starting to purchase more non ammo/food/meds stuff more regularly.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

lol, just had a funny encounter. Just aroun dawn I went into the Truck Cemetery to grab a couple stashes and do a few jobs I picked up. First one had me going over to what was apparently the Renegade's main camp? to kill someone. Wiped the place out, noticed a work bench that I didn't have permission to use, weird.

Start moving southwest through the cemetery to grab a stash and at one point I turned around and saw someone nearby, they shouted and... ran away? I attempted to follow find them, but couldn't in the maze of trucks. So I carefully resumed my trip to the stash, as I passed a group of Mi-24s though I happened to turn around again and there there person was and, again, they ran away. Around the helos is more open though so I could track them and since the ID came up Renegage, I put a burst of 9mm FMJ into them with my PP-19*. Got a message that I had just killed a mechanic and no longer needed permission to use their vice, whoops? Walk over to loot them and they had no weapons, just a file... so why was the idiot following me? Was he gonna try stabbing me with the file? :v:

* which I finally just got a couple more magazines for, so thats helpful.

[EDIT] Which game is Truck Cemetery from? I barely remember this place, it is surprisingly creepy in the early morning gloom and rain...
[edit 2] and right after I say this, I get jumped by a loving Chimera that nearly tears my left arm off... was really fun trying to kill it with my gun wobbling, my vision swimming, and all my blood pouring out....

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 19, 2023

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I swear, I can never tell when those moments where Stalker goes absolutely stone dead silent with nothing but the sound of my own footsteps in the mud are the game bugging out or doing a very, very good job of making me totally creeped out on edge at the dead quiet.

It went from gloomy and heavy rain to no rain and modest fog almost before I realized it and then went silent. I keep expecting the psy-storm alert/sounds to start but they haven't...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Is there a setting somewhere to set what the quick release item drops? Cause I noticed it drops basically everything but ammo... including medicines. Those are useful in a fight!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Made some good progress today again.

Stashes have been kind. Pulled an ecologist science suit out of one and a Stalker Voyager Suit out of another, which is apparently one of the best overall medium-grade Loner armors you can get. Additionally I was able to fix up an AK-74M, though I ended up using it only few a couple hours tonight before I found a stash that had a 7.62 A/V barrel in fixable condition. I cleaned it up and immediately gutted the 74M for the parts to fix up an AKMS I've had sitting in my stash for ages. So now I've got a solid 7.62x39mm rifle. I also got the psy helmet from the eggheads, though I don't think I'll be venturing into the brain scorcher just yet...

Starting to feel pretty confident in my equipment for mid-game. Next goal is getting the next tier of night vision (tier 1 is kinda crap...) and maybe upgraded the Bear detector into a Grizzly and start doing some dedicated artefact hunting using the ecologist suit, which is surprisingly practical to just bring with me after installing an upgrade that cut its weight from over 6kg to about 1.5kg.

Unrelated, but I found a lady stalker that isn't Hip. Didn't realize those were a thing;

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

In Gamma, are there any Loner bases with a trader besides Cordon? Kinda annoying to go down to Loris to buy some things (mostly a wide ammo selection) my good rep with the Loners gives me access to.

I guess I should raise my rep with the ecologists or something. Does the trader for them focus on NATO or WP stuff?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

tbh I've never enjoyed getting in the middle of Duty and Freedom's stupid squables, I usually try to avoid overly antagonizing either side and half the time it goes:

"Hey Dutyman, got any work?"
"Sure wanna kill some Freedom at this spot?"
"No, real work."
"I guess you could bring me a Controller hand."
"Cool, anything else?"
"Bring me some Freedom patches!"
No. :mad:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh are you actually playing with the clearsky warfare system enabled? I heard it was A) buggy as poo poo B) Not that good. What are your thoughts?

Can it even be turned on mid playthrough? Could be an interesting way of shaking things up.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Stalker 2 doesn’t have to be some complex endeavor, that’s what the mods will be for in a couple years. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

After a few days off from the zone I’m back at it. I found a UMP but it only had the one magazine. Does anyone using magazines redux know if any traders sell UMP magazines?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Man I've been using Mags Redux for a while now, but I actually don't know the answer to that because of how weird it is by default. Certain vendors seem to arbitrarily (and consistently) sell a small handful of certain magazines (like the guy at the farm in Cordon usually sells...FORT and/or PM(?) magazines; the Major in Rostok sells a few 20 Gauge shotgun magazines for some bizarre reason, and the guy at the flea market in Garbage sells 4 or 5 different types of magazines, etc.) It doesn't usually make a lot of sense.

I think the vendors sell mags for the guns they'd sell if not for Gamma's "Traders don't sell guns" thing, but I'm not sure.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Wow, these arena fights are real bullshit in Gamma, especially with the mag system. Love to be dropped into a fight with my mags not set to my loadout and the grenade launcher unloaded. :argh:

[edit] fight after that was 2 grenades and a knife vs an exosuit with an AR, lovely.

And the final fight is a "free for all" in supposedly identical exosuits (mine is definitely different) where everyone just tries to kill me. :mad: Yeah I'll pass for now...

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 29, 2023

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I recently fixed up a USP 45 Tac with a silencer and I am rapidly becoming a convert to 45 Hydrashock over shotguns for anti-mutant work. Its getting to the point where I pull my pistol out in preference over the Remmington 870. Now I *really* want to get some magazines for that 45 UMP I got sitting in my stash. I also splurged and dropped a bunch of cash to get a conversion kit from Duty and now I'm rocking an AK-105 "Shakal" with an ACOG and canted RMR sight and I freaking love it.

I've also started experimenting with the artifact melter, anyone got any good advice for artifacts?

OwlFancier posted:

I didn't do it with magazines but I didn't find the arena too hard. It is bullshit in a couple of cases like the grenades vs exosuit fight but the fun kind of bullshit. Just took a couple of goes.

The last fight with the exosuit "free for all" just wrecks me. They have ammo that can easily piece the exosuit I'm wearing (which I am almost certain is a worse model than theirs, despite the arena man's claims of uniformity) and not being able to sprint means repositioning is really hard when several of them start to box you in on multiple angles (and ofc, despite claims of being a free for all, they're all exclusively trying to kill me it seems).

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 29, 2023

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Whats the best way to get to Zaton from Rostok? I'd rather not go through the red forest as I just remember that being a massive slog of nonstop mutants and monolith when I played base Anomaly a couple years ago.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I just wanna visit Nimble cause I hear he sells a wide variety of magazines, in addition to all his other goodies.

Hitting up some northern stashes hoping for tier 3 tools would be nice as well.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So Nimble does NOT sell a huge variety of magazines, just a huge variety of attachments and conversation kits (including the AK-105 Shakal kit which I can highly recommend). Unfortunate.

Good news is on my way back though I bumped into a Merc squad in what I thought was Monolith territory (so I hadn’t slipped on my Ecologist environsuit disguise since it’s not meant for gunfights) and had to get rid of them and one carried a UMP and three magazines, so I got my objective anyways! I aaalssooo got a Merc ACE suit off one of his buddies so I’ll be in great shape if I ever get my hands on expert tools.

I’ve got two green stashes in Red Forest I could check, maybe an extended expedition is in order…

Or maybe I just go back up to Jupiter and Zatin and do work there hoping to earn more stash locations and avoid the forest…

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So basically get a hard-hitting per single shot weapon when fighting those guys, don't spray?

One day I'll have a 7.62x51 battle rifle like a FAL, SCAR-H, or SR-25 or whatever else is in gamma...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Bummer, Lyonka Death, a Top 100 ranked Loner, I'd seen all over the southern half the map as I played was finally killed alongside 2 other Loners by a group of military attacking their campsite in Agroprom.

Cleared X16, forgot there wasn't really any reward from Sakharov, thanks jerk, that cost me a LOT of ammo and a decent amount of meds and other supplies. :mad:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I forgot how, even compared to the labs, Agroprom Underground creeps me the gently caress out and I never stay in here any longer than I have to. Besides Strelok's hideaway, is there anything worth poking around for down here? I'm not sure I ever have, in any version of Stalker, lol (which is probably why its so intimidating, cause I know it less than X16 for example).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I’ve just been keeping a stockpile (selling anything over X amount) at Butcher and picking up stuff for requests and dropping off whenever I pass through. However I’m reconsidering that now that I’m starting to venture north of the Barrier.

Especially since once I find expert tools I’m probably going to move my base of operations/primary stash from Rostok to Yanov.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 30, 2023