Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Out of curiosity, do you folks mess around a lot of with placed stashes? I usually keep a spare backpack on me for those occasions where I need to shave some weight and pick up crap later, but I otherwise struggle to maintain more than one BIG stash in a centralized location with a workbench. Right now I'm in the early game and I have my big stash in Rostok, a second stash I ditched for weight in Garbage, and a third in Agroprom...and even THAT is bugging me despite the fact that I know I'll pick up the latter two soon.

I get the impression that some people have stashes scattered all over the place, and I think that would drive me nuts. Of course I don't really use the fast travel system (besides hiring the occasional guide), so maybe that's a key part of maintaining a network of stashes without going crazy?

Oh no any time i have a stash in the wild i get antsy in my pantsy and must bring it to my hoard. I usually leave a few stashes in convenient fast travel locations or a central zone stash encase i want to actually hoof it between levels. I leave a stash in wild territory for example just past the burners because the constant merc spawn in the construction site is annoying as hell and they always drop good gear weighing me down on the way to yantar. I want to actually walk to yantar but i can't leave behind the loving gear and artifacts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Welp i think my saves just too old in EFP which makes me sad if thats true because all my games will eventually die now.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

So every stalker save has a half life because eventually A-life will have too many things in the zone and the game will freeze/crash because it's reached its limit. I'm working with the devs atm but it feels like we're at the object limit but i gotta try a few more things before we determine that. My current game date is dec 30th 2018, i forget when the game starts but i easily have 200+ real life hours in this save. It's been happening in CoP levels though and there's some spawn shenanigans that can happen in those levels so my first test will be to fast travel out of zaton to see if i freeze in another level and then its strip tease roulette to see if its a weapon/suit issue.

It used to be worse back in the day because SoC/CoP never had that many items and figured you'd finish the game long before you reached the limit.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I got hit with a (new?) trap in the Red Forest. At least one I've never seen before, and not in this particular area.

On my way to shut off the Brain Scorcher, I looked to my right and saw a friendly NPC waving at me further up the hill.

When I approached him, he disappeared only to reappear a bit further down the road. At first I thought it was just a bug, but the whole thing piqued my interest--so up the hill I went.

Eventually it became obvious that something very fucky was going on, but I wasn't prepared for the big reveal to be a pincer attack by two Controllers (including one cutting off my only escape). It was almost a guaranteed instakill, but after eight or nine attempts I managed to kill one fast enough to put some distance between myself and the second so its suicide-aura didn't put the kibosh on me.

It reminded me that for all the dynamic open world aspects, I kind of miss these creepy set pieces.

Nice that looks awesome.

How many hours have people gotten in gamma without save corruption? I'm really over EFP now that i know my save can become, "too big" that short into the loving game. It used to only occur if you've literally done everything in the zone and were just wandering around for months on the same save. I didn't even fully explore outskirts much less go to prip and the CNPP.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

In my last EFP run i started with just a knife and simply sprinted around everywhere avoiding fights or rushing bandits like a maniac knifing them down haha. It's dangerous to start with a gun when you don't got a suit because it tricks you into gun fights that you simply cannot survive. A pair of binocs is a better investment because you can run towards the sound of fighting and grab loot once the dust settles.

Might get into gamma once i exhaust my current grab bag of games since it looks like it's getting far more updates than EFP and more stable to boot.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Namnesor posted:

0.9 Loner playthrough still continues to brick wall me; I've pushed all the way into Pripyat and the Outskirts for missions and stash coordinates, still have not gotten Expert tools, nor have I found any suits that are better than my medium Nomad. Mercifully I scrounged up to 100% quality pelts that have been crucial to my survivability, to the point where I think pelts, as rare as they can be to acquire, are perhaps a bit too overpowered, but that's a different conversation.

I'm sitting on like 450k cash, I am post-scarcity, yet I'm still using 5.56 because I can't fix up a better freakin' gun! And, as if to mock me, I got an IWI ACE 52 with a 100% barrel! I had literally everything on hand to field swap every part and repair it up to 100%!

Variable scopes are bugged on the ACE 52 and only use their max zoom level. :negative:

The forester and nimble in zaton are not tool dependent or at least weren't in most mods is it the same in gamma? The entire purpose of those 2 are to allow you to use the work bench regardless of finding tools thats why they were in fairly difficult areas.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

i must compose posted:

Holy gently caress where the gently caress is stalker 2 news

Just get gamma, stalker devs are notoriously glacial even when there's not a war going on in their country haha.

Namnesor posted:

They do not work that way in GAMMA, no.

The Scar is so loving funny, the only time I ever felt it was actually malicious was when it simulated Discord notification sounds. That's just cruel.

Bah thats silly, if you're gonna fight to the forester in red forest you should be able to use a technician without having to give him tools. It was for those games where you just couldn't find the drat tools no matter how hard you looked.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah I know, and I know to some extent the tool kits are based on "realism" but you think they could've made an exception for one of the worst assault rifles lol. Oh well.

While I'm grumbling, I wish you could remove barrels for repairs without having a replacement barrel to slot in their place. Kind of annoying to see a gun with useful parts and think "Oh I can use these to repair that one I've got at home" and then you remember that while the barrel was servicable, you need to be able to pull it out of the gun to fix it in the first place, which means you need a trashed barrel to sub in cause...?

I know in the early days they either made sure you had to have parts to swap or the gun would just always work without parts because the AI would try to shoot the broken guns and cause crashes. There's still a crash where a gun gets degraded to 0 and basically will stay perma jammed and the AI will try to use it. This normally doesn't happen because theres a script that ensures no AI drops a gun at 0% BUT if a gun is dropped on the ground and say a grenade goes off on it you can get the gun being basically destroyed. This happens a ton in jupiter where you get non stop spawns on the cause way and a stalker will pick up a gun that gets repeatedly blasted by explosives.

There used to be a mod that allowed you to shoot guns out of hands, basically destroying guns which would revert AI to the sprinting mode which was hilarious when you didn't know what happened. You'd be having a great firefight then all of the sudden the other stalker would just loving zoom off into the wilds. It was also bullshit taking a random rear end birdshot blast and having your expensive gun get utterly wrecked.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

In EFP if the stalkers you brought with you die you'd lose faction rep so i never bothered because they'd always go down to grenades or stand in the open instead of taking cover. Do you lose rep in gamma for having companions die?

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Damnit see i'd always bring friends just to share extra loot with esp when traveling through an area like red forest or outskirts. Do you still lose rep for failing the personal quests? I still remember having the entire merc faction in dead city go hostile because 2 mercs died before i could turn in their quests haha--why the gently caress is it my fault they died?!

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Yeah the only radio quests i accepted were in small zones like wild territory, rostok, AWH, and meadow. I loving hated searching vehicle graveyard or dark valley goddamn--darkscape on the other hand wasn't too bad once you found the spawn spots because there's only like 4-5 so you just run forever towards that location and scan it quick then run to the next.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Has anyone ever tried actually investigating one of these things? Does it actually lead to something, or is this just random flavortext?

Working on finishing up various jobs I've taken down south, then I'm gonna turn off the Miracle Machine and move north past the Barrier to Zaton or Jupiter. Probably start stocking up on AP ammo for what'll likely be the grueling slog of getting through turning off the Brain Scorcher.

These will spawn unique stashes, only found one of them in garbage in a stash i've never seen before and it had really good loot. There's apparently 1 per level so write the freq down but be warned you can look all over the loving map for it, i got lucky and it was by the hunter in garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Welp that area is where i met the tiny chimera before too haha i was trying to get under the raised shovel to grab a stash and there was a loving chimera the size of a cat failing to path to me it was hilarious until it mauled my leg.