Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Hardmode jungle does NOT gently caress around :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Anyone have any idea of the pirate map drop rate (it drops from sharks and jellyfish, right?)? I want to craft the terra blade but it's been an hour and ive yet to see a single one.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Fewd posted:

I'm working on trees too. It's a bit sucky that apparently the leaf blocks you plop yourself won't grow those vines like the original big trees.

My älftree in progress. Thinking I need to demolish those blocky houses and start doing ones more like what the vendor guy up there has.

Dareon posted:

I found one in my first tree, so :iiam:
What's the name of the item that makes Living Wood? I finally found one of these with a chest, but it had a Leaf Wand.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I got tired of the minerals chest getting so crowded up with old pre-hardmode metals, so I took all of them to a vault and set up another crafting station in case it was needed:

Now someone needs to make a giant pit filled with gold bars with a little diving board at the top, and take a picture. Bonus points if they have an after picture with them smashing into little bits when they land.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 4, 2013

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Jackard posted:

What's the name of the item that makes Living Wood? I finally found one of these with a chest, but it had a Leaf Wand.

Living Wood Wand or something like that. I came across multiple when rolling new worlds to find a pyramid so just keep looking. It shouldn't be too rare unless rng likes to gently caress with you.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What is currently the "best" pure mobility setup? I currently have Wings/Bundle of Balloons/Ankh Shield/Lightning Boots for flight/flying higher/running through enemies/running faster and I'm wondering if I'm better off with Lava Waders or Ninja Gear for the last slot.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I fought the Brain of Cthulhu last night.

That fight was not at all what I was expecting :stare:

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Man oh man oh man, there is no early game blessing like coming across a huge stash of diamonds now. I love what they've done with gems. And I loooooove my new bling.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ignimbrite posted:

Hardmode jungle does NOT gently caress around :stare:

The interestingpainful thing is that the armor set and spellbook you can get in the Hardmode Dungeon help immensely with exploring the Hardmode Jungle (Magnet Sphere is ludicrous in a wide-open enemy-infested area), whereas the armor sets you can make with Chlorophyte (especially the Turtle Armor) are the best way to survive in the Hardmode Dungeon.

Choose which biome you want to be brutally sodomized in first! :gibs:

(In all honesty, if you have a Megashark, the HM Jungle isn't too bad save for obnoxious poison damage... just don't try to fight the boss there unless you really, really know what you're doing. It's probably the easier of the two brand-new hard mode areas, not counting the Temple.)

Asehujiko posted:

What is currently the "best" pure mobility setup? I currently have Wings/Bundle of Balloons/Ankh Shield/Lightning Boots for flight/flying higher/running through enemies/running faster and I'm wondering if I'm better off with Lava Waders or Ninja Gear for the last slot.

I'm actually finding that underground, I'm having a lot better mobility with a simple Sandstorm Balloon/Wings than a Bundle. Something about how the Bundle/Boots/Wings interact makes it really hard to go where I want to go, which is a significant problem when trying to fight hardmode bosses underground.

The Ankh Shield is utterly indispensable, though. It is without question worth every bit of grinding needed to get it.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
All the ultra endgame stuff is nice but I've really taken a shining to Golden Shower since 1. It has infinite penetration, a high rate of fire, and low mana cost along with the defense debuff jacking up the damage a good deal which makes it fantastic for mowing through hordes of poo poo while also hitting things like paladins hiding behind a skeleton army so they don't plow my face with hammers plus generating loads of health with ghost armor 2. It is piss magic, like the KC Green comic

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Does world size determine how many biomes / 'event' areas you get? Like, if you select Large world size, are you more likely to get a bunch of biomes strewn everywhere or a giant tree / pyramid / beehive / etc?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Nope, it just changes how big the biomes are, and how much stuff is in them. Corruption biomes get more downwards tunnels, a larger central tunnel and more orbs for example.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Retro42 posted:

Web Slinger!

This thing is great. It's like Spiderman and the Ivy Whip had an unholy arachnaphobia inducing baby.

Oh my god yes. I found it just before my partner went to go sleep, and holy crap it is awesome.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Is there a way to get the game to give you the crimson instead of the corruption? I'm hella tired of generating worlds now.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Is there a way to get the game to give you the crimson instead of the corruption? I'm hella tired of generating worlds now.

Yes, you repeatedly generate worlds until it gives you Crimson :shobon:

I guess I was lucky when the second world I generated had Crimson in it. No hollow trees or pyramids though :(

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Jesto posted:

Does world size determine how many biomes / 'event' areas you get? Like, if you select Large world size, are you more likely to get a bunch of biomes strewn everywhere or a giant tree / pyramid / beehive / etc?

In my experience, large worlds tend to have three or four giant trees. Never seen more than one pyramid though, so that would at best be affected by the number of desert biomes.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Jackard posted:

As Fewd said, it's called the 'Living Wood Wand'. I lucked out on my first biome having a hollow tree, so I'm going to be spending some time making me a tree city. And a 'fake city' for when the invasions begin. Razzafrazzin' mages...

A question: are the jungle temple and the dungeon both 'must haves' on every seed? Because I don't have a pyramid or crimson on my map, but I don't want to lose my temple/dungeon combo. Also, can we still use the meteor head exploit to farm souls/keys from the biomes?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The dungeon is never not generated, and I imagine the jungle temple would be the same since it has specific hardmode content and there's apparently a chest that needs a key from it and everything.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I think the jungle temple straight up gets created when you enter hardmode since mine seems to have plowed through and absorbed several underground houses.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Devour or Fire posted:

I think the jungle temple straight up gets created when you enter hardmode since mine seems to have plowed through and absorbed several underground houses.

I'm definitely not on hardmode yet and the temple is definitely there already for me.

No hive though :(

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Jungle temples are definitely there from the start, also what size is your map? I've been playing on large maps and my most recent one has a temple and 3 hives.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Daeren posted:

At first, I made a nice set of treehouses in a World Tree because I found it really early and I loved the aesthetic. I rapidly ran out of room, however, and the treehouses grew ugly and cramped. Even with the most stacked apartments possible on the branches, I still couldn't make enough to fit all the NPCs I was going to get. I was also worried about the Hallow/Crimson corrupting the whole thing from under me one day and turning life into a living hell. So, I decided to make a new fortress. I had plenty of clay, dirt, stone, or anything I wanted to make your standard castle...

...but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to make a flying castle from the very bones and skulls of my enemies :black101:

It will eventually have everything I need to survive hard mode - a crafting hall, storage, a glowing mushroom farm, some herb farms, and maybe an armor showcase. The capper on top I have planned is a skull made of skulls with lava in its eye sockets that is also drooling lava from its mouth down the sides of the castle.

My God I forgot how much I loved this game.

My solution for cramped branches is to fit a number of places into the trunk, since I made it wide enough to have a rope shaft to the top and rooms on the side. It won't be perfectly treehouse but i'm being a bit more practical and using the 25-30 wide trunk I built as apartment space. I am rapidly deforesting most of the large world i used, although I've taken to generating small extra worlds and clearcutting them. I don't even want to know how many blocks of wood i'll have gone through when I'm eventually done because my last building spree alone last night went through 900 of them. Just prior to that i'd killed off the Eye for the first time and also the brain right after it so I still have a lot of things that need building, in addition to a storage and crafting area in the branches instead of at the base like I have it for convenience now. I seem to have been inspired to do this out of a certain nostalgia for the C64 game Below the Root.

Worst part? I had a good chunk of the trunk completed early on before finding out there was a living wood wand, so I had to go through and demolish a lot of what I built to get it rebuilt as living wood.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Oct 4, 2013

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
In my preparations for hardmode, I killed the Queen Bee a half-dozen times and found out that bee grenades absolutely WRECK the Wall of Flesh. All the tethered mouths are destroyed within 5-6 seconds, and the wall dies within 30. The bee is much easier than the wall if you have a dark lance, so for people that me that have trouble with the wall fight, this makes it significantly easier.

Question to those getting hardmode keys, is there anything stopping you for taking the keys to a fresh world, killing Skeletron, and opening the chests there? Seems like it'd be easier than fighting your way through the hardmode dungeon.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Male Man posted:

That's the only way to get them down, but why bother? Ropes are expendable. Put up what you need to traverse an area and then leave it.

Because I can't leave resources behind like that. Trust me.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Interesting note: The new ores completely replace their counterparts. So no gold for you, but plenty of platinum to go around blinging!

Onto another topic: can I use a teleporter to move between my ground house and my cloud fortress for my friends? I want to make a living area essentially 'mage-proof' for invasions, so I was thinking of setting my spawn point at a sparse ground home, then just warping up to the fortress when I needed it.

...I just now got the idea to build the Kingdom of Zeal. Or, the 2-d equivalent.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Is it possible to downgrade back to a previous version?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

SlyFrog posted:

Because I can't leave resources behind like that. Trust me.

It's not left behind, it's there for the next time you come through! :v:

Ktzi
Aug 1, 2006

There are plenty of spiders!

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I wish you could determine which you get, I got nothing BUT Crimson.

Luck of the drew, c'est la vie.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I would not be upset if every generation was crimson. It's just such a nicer layout than corruption and the brain is a more interesting fight than the eater.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I used to make these horrible landspike spires over my hellevators with crafting/storage at/around ground floor, and two columns of NPC apartments on either side of the main shaft. Real easy to access with the right floor spacing. The incredible number of new NPCs means the spire's height starts getting out of control and wyverns become a problem, though, so I'm trying out a three column setup. Not sure if I like it.

Devour or Fire posted:

All the ultra endgame stuff is nice but I've really taken a shining to Golden Shower since 1. It has infinite penetration, a high rate of fire, and low mana cost along with the defense debuff jacking up the damage a good deal which makes it fantastic for mowing through hordes of poo poo while also hitting things like paladins hiding behind a skeleton army so they don't plow my face with hammers plus generating loads of health with ghost armor 2. It is piss magic, like the KC Green comic
Okay, you need Tim's hat, and a raincoat from rain zombies so you can complete the look.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

drat it, yet another blood moon in the hard ice biome trying to find that mythical third ice golem to complete my armor set, but nothing. Managed to snag a frost wand though, it's pretty snazzy. I love how I'm pretty sure every single biome gets hardmoded. There's even a different between hard surface ice and hard underground ice! Ice chest mimics with unique loot! An adorable little snowman pet!

Now if only I could complete my drat ARMOR SET.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
I'm really new to this game so this might be a pretty common thing. I was exploring underground, looking for chests and heart crystals when I got a message that the Eye of Cthulu had spawned. Cramped tunnels really aren't the best place for that fight so I scooted back to the glowing mushroom cave I had just left. The fight was going pretty well, but when the eye was down to around 600ish health he just flew off screen and never came back. Is that normal? Did I take too long fighting him?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I believe the Eye will gently caress off into space and disappear if the sun rises before you kill it.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Dez Orwell posted:

I'm really new to this game so this might be a pretty common thing. I was exploring underground, looking for chests and heart crystals when I got a message that the Eye of Cthulu had spawned. Cramped tunnels really aren't the best place for that fight so I scooted back to the glowing mushroom cave I had just left. The fight was going pretty well, but when the eye was down to around 600ish health he just flew off screen and never came back. Is that normal? Did I take too long fighting him?

Yeah, you have to kill the Eye before night ends or it fucks right off.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
Ahh, that makes sense. I was underground so I didn't notice the time of day. Thanks guys.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Sloober posted:

I would not be upset if every generation was crimson. It's just such a nicer layout than corruption and the brain is a more interesting fight than the eater.

I feel like the eater would be a better fight if it was a bit harder. Unless you rush straight there wearing copper and kill orbs with your first bombs, you're probably going to have more than enough gear to fight it. The concept of a worm boss you have to dodge around, that has multiple sections and divides, is pretty great but you get enough armour and gear to trivialise it pretty early on, especially if you build an arena and stuff.

I actually didn't really like the brain. It felt too much like the eye but with a weird teleporting thing and a large group of tiny enemies where you just have to shoot/stab vaguely towards the cloud until they're dead. The Eater needs you to dodge and line up piercing weapons and stuff, but the brain basically comes down to whether or not you can hit enough before it kills you by running over you.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Ugh they just HAD to add spiders to this game :cry:

That said, update's pretty great so far.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Oh man. I fired this up last night around 730 to see what was new. Around 1100 I realized 3 and a half hours had just vanished out from under me.

There are so many nice QoL changes its amazing.

So, since I'm sucked back into this game, what is the best way to lay out your base to minimize npc death and in general repel invasions etc. ? Ideally it would involve pre-hardmode stuff as I'd like to get it running before going into that.

Also, I always love the idea of huge world's but play single player mostly. Are medium worlds a good middle ground for that? Or should I just play small?

Also the Crimson is awesome and I'll fight anyone that likes the corruption better :colbert:

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Saxophone posted:

Also, I always love the idea of huge world's but play single player mostly. Are medium worlds a good middle ground for that? Or should I just play small?

Also the Crimson is awesome and I'll fight anyone that likes the corruption better :colbert:

I've been playing a medium world with just me and one other person, and it feels really big. If you want something vast to explore on your own, a medium world should do the trick nicely.

(Good job on your correct opinion, Crimson rules :unsmigghh:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
God dammit I've killed the queen bee literally twenty times so far and she will not drop the bee shirt! Argh!

• Locked thread