Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Started playing this last night. Man does this game has an insane amount of content. I have a couple of questions though.

Do I need to worry about my house being attacked during a Blood Moon if I'm not there? Or do enemies just spawn around me?

Are iron doors better than wooden ones, or is it purely aesthetic?

And is Hardmode per character or per world?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is there really no way to pause without Auto-pause? That's really annoying. I guess tabbing out might pause it though.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So I know I'll die if I go into the dungeon without killing a certain boss first, but can I climb over it instead? I was trying to go to the ocean/edge of the map and it's kinda in the way.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wow, Eater of Worlds was really easy. I didn't even need to heal since it seemed like every segment I killed dropped a heart.

It was annoying having the goblin army spawn at the exact same time as when the Eater of Worlds spawned though. I didn't have to fight both at once but when I got home my house was being invaded.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Does Corruption/Hallow/Crimson spread downwards as well? Would the entire map be infected given enough time in Hardmode?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
What's the easiest way to find Floating Islands? Gravitation potions? How many would I need to explore all of a small world?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If that's true then there should be a sky island right next to my house.

EDIT: There wasn't

RatHat fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 9, 2013

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wow, I thought traps were merely annoying until I ran into an explosive one. Any easy way to notice those besides switching to an item that lets you see redstonewires occasionally?

Also, does the Goblin Tinkerer spawn in alternate cavern layers, like Mushroom/spider/jungle ect.?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

President Ark posted:

There's definitely wires and if you're holding a pressure plate you can see them.

Dart traps and Wire-cutters work too, and presumably the Wrench as well.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
From what I've read of corruption/hallow/crimson, yes empty air will work. That's why making a sky house is the easiest way to protect your npcs from it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

goodness posted:

Why does nobody ever talk about Meteor Armor + Space Gun? Its such a good mid combo and pretty easy to get.

It's alright, but even at the level when it's useful it's outclassed by Jester/Unholy arrows at mid-range. It was nice having something to use mana for, the early game is really bare for spells and poo poo.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

goodness posted:

How so? It does just as much damage, shoots faster, uses no mana and is more accurate since the shots travel really fast.

Jester and Unholy arrows can hit multiple times with a single arrow, the gun can't.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Huh, my Dryad thinks she's in a mushroom biome because of my small glowing mushroom farm.

EDIT: Does the infinite liquid glitch still work with 1.2?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Oct 10, 2013

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I got a dino pet, it's pretty cute. If you get too far away it gets picked up by a pterodactyl and flies to you.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Every 3 hearts will summon the boss, yeah.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Fix the beds too, they're facing in random directions.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mzbundifund posted:

Deathweed still grows randomly on crimstone. I don't know if it grows on crimson grass, I don't recall ever seeing it there.

The only other loss from getting Crimson is you can't get vile mushrooms, which means no vile powder, which means no directly transmuting Hallow to Normal terrain until you get the Clentaminator.

Doesn't the Dryad sell vile powder during blood moons?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Speaking of UI, is there anyway to use potions in your inventory without having to drag them to your character? Ditto with the Magic Mirror.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dr Tasty posted:

You can also just drag them from your inventory and click anywhere on the screen, not just your character.

:aaa: Ok this helps a lot.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Do Beehives have a certain depth they appear at? I'm trying to find one but this underground jungle is huge(even on a small world).

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The golem is the final boss for now I think.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I'm pretty much done everything pre-hardmode(only need to explore a Pyramid and the Crimson on another map now), how much should I prepare before fighting Wall of Flesh? I'll probably put a barrier around my house to prevent it from being corrupted/hallowed, but that's all I can think of. Doing that won't piss off my NPCs right? And new ones will just teleport in?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I thought you needed to have an entrance of NPCs to move in though. Wouldn't a barrier around my house cause issues with that?

And yeah I meant the desert pyramid.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

GenericOverusedName posted:

Sadly, I can't plant acorns on corruption/crimson grass, so getting more evil trees will probably be difficult.

You can just make another world to get more wood.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Cyberventurer posted:

I just lucked into a Rod of Discord and there's no way this isn't getting nerfed at some point. There's absolutely no mana cost when using it and it doesn't require line of sight to your target, so you can basically zip around to any open area 3 times per second as long as your character can fit in the targeted spot. :stare:

Eh, I dunno. It's a non-combat item and it's endgame, so getting to zip around anywhere you want when you're near the end of the game is fine to me. Ditto if wings that let you infinitely fly ever get released.

EDIT: I wonder if it could be used to skip Plantera. Is there a guardian for the forest temple like the dungeon?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ugh, there's no easy way to search for the Lava charm is there? At the moment I'm making small worlds and exploring the caverns with Spelunker potions.

EDIT: Oops, tried to take a shortcut through a dungeon but forgot about the guardian. Those things are faaaast.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 13, 2013

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Can anyone confirm if sandstone is immune to corruption/hallow? It seems like the easiest material to make my barrier around my house out of.

EDIT: Also I just realized I should probably move my Deathweed farm and quarantine it too.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Oct 13, 2013

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I didn't use pots for my garden/farm. Much quicker to grow and much quicker to harvest.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Or just use a dart trap.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I didn't realize the Nazar was that annoying to get. I'm glad that I got one when clearing out the dungeon.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

That pic gives me a really good impression of how big a large world is. I' glad I didn't start off on one like I had planned.

Yeah it's way overkill for singleplayer. Even medium is probably too big if you're new.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

death .cab for qt posted:

Did Red seriously gently caress up the NPC AI again or something? Because I have a house filled with rooms that are all perfectly fine, and they all have wooden platforms that are easily accessible to everybody and should be extremely easy to reach, but this loving Dye Trader is refusing to go to his compatible housing and instead spends the entire night running around the main floor opening doors to the outside like he's the loving Guide V 2.0

NPCs won't jump up or down platforms unless they literally cannot move anywhere else. Either block him in with dirt under the platforms or go mining or something and he'll teleport to his room(and never come back down).

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is there no trophy for King Slime? I guess he's not considered a boss, even though he has a message when he appears and when he dies.

Anatharon posted:

What're the new NPCs? The OP didn't actually indicate any.

Also is there any way to A) Have some kind of defence for your base when you're not around B) a way to stop basic worms from tunneling into your surface house yet? Like, I get bosses flying in but it's really dumb basic 10 hp worms can. It makes me feel like I'm not progressing to have to deal with the basic hazard constantly.

A: You don't really need it since enemies only spawn near you, but what I did is set up barriers around all the doors, put transistors on them, and hook them up so I just flip the switch when a Blood Moon happens. A much simpler way is to just put something in the way of the door so it can only open outwards. Monsters only open doors inwards so they won't be able to get in; goblins can though since they just destroy doors.

B: Only if you build your house high enough that worms won't be able to reach it. Worms can pass through all blocks otherwise.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Be careful when destroying demon altars. Each one you destroy turns a random stone block in your world into Hallow/Corruption so it can gently caress up a quarantine if you don't notice it.

Cicadalek posted:

is it possible to make a crimson biome in a world that didn't start with one? I brought in a bunch of crimstone blocks to my corruption world and filled an underground chamber with them, but no crimson enemies seem to be spawning

Pretty sure it is possible but you won't have any hearts so it's kind of pointless.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Theoretically if you tore down every natural wall in the game and replaced it with your own, would it stop 99% of enemies from spawning?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ugh, I wish there was a easier way to tell Titanium and Iron/Silver apart.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Iretep posted:

Well I'm a lazy man and don't build hell bridges. I just used the water bolt and some potions if I remember right.

Water-walking and Obsidian Skin potions work as well.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jackard posted:

Wires can be placed in midair, so this isn't that bad if you have accessories for flight and knockback immunity; did it myself just earlier today.

Is there anything you CAN'T put wire on? Maybe lava?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Klayboxx posted:

Holy poo poo, I started farming for stuff to make the Ankh and I began on the dark mummies - within two minutes I got both the blindfold and the megaphone from one mummy. I read on the wiki that it was possible but when I saw it I thought

"Yeah right, like that'll happen to me :colbert:"

Assuming both drops are 1% and my math is right, it would be a 1/10000 chance or 0.001% for both to drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wow, the Twins hosed me up. I barely managed to beat the Destroyer with the Uzi I found and tons of meteorite bullets but once the Twins got to their 2nd stage they roasted me with their flamethrower.

I'm gonna build a skybridge and try that strategy.

• Locked thread