Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

So I finally got back into this after playing it over a year ago. I think I'm ready for hard mode, but the wall of flesh kicks the poo poo out of me. Do I really need to make a 400 mile strip of land to beat it? I read the bee gun tears it apart, but I spammed the bee gun and it did almost no damage and I ran out of mana. Is there a set bonus to use with the bee gun that makes it last longer/do more damage? Is there a better weapon choice? I've got basically every pre-hardmode weapon or the mats to make them (except the rare drop spells, I don't have any of those).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

I have full Titanium gear, and my main weapons are a Phoenix Blaster and a Golden Shower. How hosed would I be if I activated a Pumpkin Moon?

How the hell do you have full Titanium armor and those are your best weapons?

I have barely gotten enough Titanium to make a drill and I have like 5 or 6 way better weapons.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

So is there a glitch where blessing the world can create Tin instead of Titanium? Because I was having trouble finding it so I made a new world, got it to hardmode, broke like 15 altars, and I just used a spelunker potion across the entire bottom level and found tons of Cobalt, Orichalcum, and Tin, but not a single loving deposit of Titanium. Tin shouldn't spawn that far down in large numbers, should it? It's everywhere.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Andy Waltfeld posted:

Copper, and by extension Tin, are just annoyingly omnipresent at all altitudes at worldgen. You're probably just dealing with all the Titanium deposits popping up in the large swaths of world you haven't explored due to speed-Hardmoding it, though I recommend breaking out a map viewer just to be sure.

Yeah, that's probably the case. I'm just frustrated because I can't manage to kill any hardmode bosses or upgrade my armor even though I've read of people doing it in like Necro armor.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

So they made it so that if you use a teleporter while fighting Plantera it despawns, so there went my plan.

I've got full Shroomite Gear and a Megashark with like 3000 crystal bullets. I should be able to kill it pretty easy, right?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

The Golem fight is hilariously broken.

My altar spawned on a platform so when I summon it the head gets stuck in the ceiling, I stand on the ground and kill the body from below with Magnet Sphere because it can't seem to go around objects, then when the hands are dead I move to the left and it jumps down at me, then I jump up on the platform, switch to melee gear and Mushroom Spear the head to death, and then finish the body from above with Magnet Sphere. I can basically be out of damage range for everything but the laser eyes at the end. They need to fix the bugs in this fight before they worry about cheesing Plantera.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I was flying around a central island in a massive naturally generated cave kinda near the surface, and landed in honey all the time, and didn't fall below 300HP until he transformed, at which point I did about 5k damage before getting wrecked. I'll try the platform method.

I have a bunch of drops from the hardmode dungeon, but I'm trying not to use them until I unlock it because I got them in multiplayer and I'm just playing solo a bit while my friends aren't here, but the piss spell seems to wreck him so long as you don't get hit.

Central island is your problem. I tried that my first couple times and got my poo poo wrecked on second form, then I hollowed out the island and made paths all through with a bunch of platforms and it was a lot easier. You also NEED to be wearing a Cobalt or Obsidian Shield if you're not because the knockback will make it basically impossible for you to maneuver enough to avoid getting hit to death even with otherwise great gear.

If you're really desperate, mage is kinda underpowered for Plantera until you get Spectre Armor so what I did to beat him the first time was make Shroomite Armor and hit him with a Megashark with crystal and chlorophyte bullets. It will wreck his poo poo faster than pee shower will, which is basically what you need for form 2.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

The only time I fell under 200 HP was before I killed all the extra vines it spawns with the piss penetration.

You can kill those?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Desperate Character posted:

Is it safe to make a hellbridge out of Crimtane stone for the Wall of Flesh fight? I don't want to deal with a meaty corrupted hell

I didn't do this but it just ended up having a ton of crimson down there and it makes farming ichor ridiculously easy.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Haven't had the luck to get vampire knives yet, but the healing from spectre armor basically destroys the alternatives on its own. I like the idea behind shroomite armor but the only time you really aren't constantly moving is farming low level enemies so the bonus is kinda pointless and turtle armor needs more incentive to use it like massively boosted defense or something.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

The only appropriate weapon to use with the alien costume is the bladed glove.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I'm going to go against the general sentiment and say there are enough easily accessible powerful options that the super rare drops are more like a nice bonus if you happen to luck into them and totally unnecessary to play the core game.

Mushroom Spear is a great melee weapon and easily obtained, Megashark for ranged, and Golden Shower for magic. If you needed the dungeon chest uber weapons to progress then yeah it would be bullshit, but you don't at all.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Man I hope you guys never want to 100% complete one of the GBA/DS Castlevanias. Terraria has nothing on them when it comes to rare drops.

I 100%ed all of them and I wouldn't even think about loving around with grinding in Terraria but that probably has more to do with being older and having less free time than the game itself.

Although I did get the mats to make an AFK farm this morning so

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

FraudulentEconomics posted:

This is the answer. Make a consumable that boosts the drop rate or make it an accessory prefix. Like 2x, 3x, 4x on the prefixes and 5x for the consumable or something.

This would be a good middle-ground.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

A Frosty Beverage posted:

The RNG is so drat weird in this. I make a grinder world to get things and I go to the dungeon to get Tabis. I had a half dozen belts but no Tabis. Now I am swimming in the ninja shoes and yet I still can't reliably get Wisp in a bottles. Do they make it so drop rates on some items are greater in some maps or something?

I set up an afk farm on one map to get a Hallowed Key Mold. So far it's been like a week and nothing, but for some reason every time a fairy drops a clock it also drops a megaphone as well, and they drop at a rate substantially higher than the 1% they are supposedly set at.

I did get my first Unicorn on a Stick this morning though.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

That's not an apt comparison at all. With this method you still have to survive, fight, and kill the enemies. There's just less waiting around between spawns.

Eh, for an afk farm to even work reliably you basically have to be unharmable. Spawning 50x the enemies isn't going to make my spike trap murder pit any more dangerous for me so yeah I mean if I'm going to cheat I may as well just give myself the item directly.

I guess I could crash Terraria, that's a risk.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Or maybe it could just work as long as it's in your inventory.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

There are a ton of weapons that swing constantly. He intentionally differentiates the ones that do or don't for balance.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

And how is making the Terra Blade not autoswing balancing it, for instance?

Well it was the strongest sword in the game for a period.

Although at this point it could use a boost that auto-swing wouldn't fill.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

It looks like they just weakened all the things people actually use and didn't add anything or buff anything to compensate. What's the point? None of those changes are going to make the game any more fun and they're just going to screw over new players who don't already have the stuff.

-Weakened all usable weapons
-Made bosses harder

~balanced~

I don't think they understand why people play the game. Terraria is becoming the GTA to Starbound's Saints Row. Except it doesn't have the story or production values to make up for the less crazy and varied gameplay.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

Also a lot of the serious nerfs/buffs seem to be based around the idea that everyone is an experience Terraria player, knows the ins and outs of each weapon and the best synergies of any equipment, and has a handle on every boss. It's like all the rebalances are trying to stay ahead of the curve, made solely to prevent exploiting in a small group. Like Redigit just watched one of those pro-gamer "all bosses at once speed rush no damage!" youtube videos and tried to use that as the example to balance against. If someone's a more casual gamer or is only just picking up Terraria now, all these weird, pre-emptive rules are just going to make things less fun.

Based on the difficulty of Pumpkin Moon and Frost Moon, that's exactly how they've been trying to tune the game. It happens in MMOs a lot, but usually because those people are the ones who will subscribe for years and keep playing. Terraria has no subscription so no reason to appeal to the diehard min-maxers, so it just looks like they're making these changes because they don't like people being able to do that rather than trying to balance the challenge for them.

It's all terrible.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

The same sort of person who throws an unholy fit about accessibility and quality of life features getting added to MMOs. :v:

Yeah but there's that competitive "sit in town and show-off your end-game poopsock gear" element that Terraria doesn't have. There's literally no reason at all to be bothered by other people progressing too easily, not even frivolous spergy ones.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Might someone be able to help me figure out TSGE? I did everything legit up to the Halloween and Christmas events but for some reason thought my saves were backed up on the Steam cloud and so I didn't transfer them when I formatted and the idea of redoing all of that to see the new stuff sounds about as fun as castrating myself with a spoon.

So it says I need .NET framework, but when I try to install it it says I already have it or a higher version installed, but I can't find it anywhere on my computer and the TSGE file tells me I need to get a program to open it.

I'm sure I'm just missing something totally obvious, but could someone maybe point me in the right direction? Googling is just saying "open it with .NET" and not explaining if you have difficulty with that.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I got to the end-game legit last year right before they added the Frost Moon or whatever, and it always felt like just the right balance of tough and fair, of course becoming hilariously broken after you beat everything and had full Spectre gear, but by then all that was really left was farming moon bosses or rare drops. Then they nerfed a bunch of the items I used and buffed the bosses and the idea of trying to do it again while being weaker against harder enemies is a whole lot of gently caress that.

They've always taken the "this is the one feasible way to beat this boss without it being insanely difficult or tedious so rather than buff other stuff to make it more useful we're just going to make that item suck until the other items seem good by comparison." It's the dumbest way to balance a game.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Nov 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

The problem is that before the game had options for people who enjoy linear progression and for people who enjoy breaking the game. The changes just alter the game so only the people who enjoy linear progression are able to continue enjoying the game, which is pointless when there's no competitive aspect and all it leaves is some laughable notion of artistic integrity in a video game.

It is all a bit silly when the game is so easily moddable to play it however you want, but then it's silly to add unnecessary additional gating of content as well.

• Locked thread