Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Fat_Cow posted:

Is there an easier way to make a lava moat without getting bucket after bucket and bringing it back?

Hoookay, first you need to hope they haven't fixed the liquid dupe in the latest patch.

Next you need to make a splitter over your moat. You place walls like this:

#####
#_@_#
#_#_#
#_###

# is the wall, _ is empty, and @ is where you will want to be placing the liquid. You use a bucket filled with the liquid you want on that spot and you will end up with half the liquid going right into the collector thing, the rest going to where you want it, then you pick up the half in the collector and you have a full bucket again. Repeat until satisfied.

It still takes a while, so you can automate the process with a series of pumps and wires, but I'm more familiar with the carpal tunnel version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

kazil posted:

So I went back to the dungeon after opening hardmode, and now there seems to be a hardmode dungeon! Good times and deaths were had, but I came across a few locked chests in there. They seemed to be themed like crimson, floating island, ice, and jungle. Does anyone have tips for how to get these keys? I assume it would have something to do with the associated biomes, but I haven't found anything like keys in them.

I know that the jungle themed one requires a key dropped from Plantera. Dunno about any of the others.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

kazil posted:

Follow up question: How do I summon Plantera?

In a hardmode world you have to kill a hardmode boss, then find a pink flower in the jungle. I don't know what it looks like, and I'm rather sure it needs to be in a hardmode world because I scoured my non hardmode jungle and found nothing.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

LemonAIDS posted:

Anyone know where I can get a Meat Grinder so I can make a Meat castle. Is it just from the crimson version of shadow orbs or random chest?

According to the wiki it's a rare/uncommon drop from crimson enemies.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

So this seems a tad crazy, but I think Chlorophyte Ore grows in hardmode jungles. Like I saw a mud block get converted into Ore.

I've seen the Plantera summoning flower, it's surrounded by glowing red jungle foliage. Ain't fought it yet as I want to prepare some.

You get the golden hearts by finding life fruit in the hardmode jungle. They grow as plants, but I don't know how this works fully, if they all grow at once and you need to find them or if they grow over time, but the latter seems more likely.

Akett fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 2, 2013

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

So what's with all the coloured chests in the Dungeon? Do coloured keys only drop in Hardmode? Also, the Meat Grinder is a hammer made out of the Crimtane.

There's a meat grinder machine that you place like a workshop that drops from crimson enemies. I don't know if it needs to be hardmode or not.

I know the key to the green chest drops off Plantera, but I don't know about any other keys.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

I have come to the conclusion that my jungle just plain doesn't have hives.

:smith:

Don't worry about it, hives don't exactly have the best loot. If you really want to find a hive just make another world and hope there's one there.

e: Holy poo poo, the Clorophyte armor is awesome. It has a crystal that lights up the area a bit and shoots crystal leaves at enemies. It doesn't kill everything for you, but it keeps chaff like slimes off your back while you work so long as you don't move too fast.

Akett fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 2, 2013

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

Well? Don't leave us in suspense. :ohdear:

It was mentioned in the changelog, instead of your character flipping when you reverse gravity, the whole world flips and the char remains the same. I imagine it's disorienting as gently caress.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Splode posted:

What is the point of this feature? All it does is make you regen a new world until you have the new ores!

President Ark posted:

... except there's literally no difference between them beyond the cosmetic?

The real bullshit thing that makes you have to make new worlds is the rarity of some of the above ground features like giant trees and pyramids. I've genned five new worlds since 1.2 hit looking for them and found one pyramid and three giant trees, only one of which had any loot.

There might be other things that aren't guaranteed to generate, those are just the ones I know about.

Akett fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 2, 2013

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

That's not a comparison that works here, shadewood and regular wood can exist in the same world, shadewood is just the wood in the corruption I think, that or in the crimson, they have different kinds. The real comparison would be between the corruption and the crimson woods, because they can't spawn in the same world normally.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

So I found a Spider Nest. There was absolutely nothing of use in there. I don't know if there's a drop from the spiders I'm missing or if there's something there in hardmode. Either way, if you're afraid of spiders and aren't in hardmode you can feel free to ignore nests.

Akett fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 2, 2013

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

So if I died to Plantera do I need to beat another Hard Mode boss again before its summoning item spawns again? Scouting the entire underground jungle for a single flower gets a wee bit tedious, especially if you're not sure that flower even exists.

Before the first time I fought Plantera I saw two of the flowers that spawn it. I just checked, the first flower is still there.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You just put a half block next to a source block and it creates a waterfall. It doesn't really generate any water on the other side, either.

He's talking about a glitch that existed before 1.2, not the decorative waterfalls.

Matrim posted:

Waterfalls will actually wash away torches, but they won't slow you down or cause damage to you.

Really? I've placed torches in the new kind of waterfalls and they were fine.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Matrim posted:

NPC housing. I think we overbuilt by one house exactly, not knowing how many new NPCs there would be.

Looking at the wiki there are at least two NPCs you don't have. I don't know how right the wiki is.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Matrim posted:

Clothier is refusing to move into his house until the server restarts. Who else am I missing?

A witch doctor and a pirate, and I'm not sure about the pirate. There may yet be others I haven't read about on the wiki.

I seem to recall the patch notes saying that 8 NPCs were added to the game, but I don't know how to get any of them.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Matrim posted:

Yeah, I've checked out both oceans and found no pirate ships so I'm at a loss. Maybe cannons are required for the pirate to show up?

I read about that on the wiki, a pirate map will drop off ocean enemies. I've no clue if this requires hard mode or not.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Pyramids are generally visible from the surface, but they can be buried under sand. Just be observant in any patches of desert.

e: I think the Jungle temple might be a thing that spawns in at onset of hardmode, but I haven't verified this.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

kazil posted:

I think there is one more and I think it's something about mushrooms, but no idea how to get him to show up.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know how to get teleporters to work?

Have you checked out a hardmode mushroom biome? First place I'd look for a mushroom dude.

Teleporters work by wiring them together and perhaps having levers at both ends.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Does anyone know where lime kelp grows? I've checked the oceans and found nothing.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Wow, pirates don't gently caress around.

There has to be more to getting the party girl than having 8 NPCs and a place to live, I've had both of those criteria met for hours now.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Perhaps the very large worlds will have everything. There has to be a reason for them to exist once they're added.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Well the pirate moved in. I can buy a cannon from him.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Tanith posted:

:allears: Do tell about the cannons.

(We need a Mr. Dink emote) Very ecthpensive, 25 gold for the cannon and 15 silver for each cannonball. The cannonballs he sells you don't have the power to gently caress up terrain. You aim them by looking in a direction and clicking on them, I forget which mouse button.

I haven't gotten much chance to play with mine yet, still busy with getting the party girl a gel house so she's not in the Witch Doctor's intended house.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Potential BFF posted:

There's a cheesy tactic you can employ to skip some grind in hard mode:
Camp the entrance of the dungeon with a decently damaging weapon and farm Ectoplasm. Once you've got a stack of 18 you can make a Spectre pick that will let you mine Chlorophyte

You could alternatively kill The Destroyer once and make a Drax out of the hallowed bars. That gives you enough pickaxe power to mine chlorophyte. The camping the dungeon entrance for ectoplasm is a good idea, so thanks.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Machai posted:

Anyone know what kind of mini-biome this is? Some sort of fungus biome?

Were there spiders and a lot of cobwebs? Looks like a spider nest kind of.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

So does this mean entirely glass houses and large glass windows are invalid? Not sure if I'm reading this right.

I think he has a glass background with a hole in it. If the hole gets four tiles long the housing becomes invalid.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Hey, could everyone who found a spider nest tell me how close they were to the underworld? It seems to me they are all pretty close, I just need to confirm this for science. If you found one rather far please mention it.

Also, I think I've debunked my theory that the jungle dungeon only spawns after hardmode. Obvious in retrospect.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Meldonox posted:

Are any of these chlorophyte weapons worth bothering with, or should I set my sights elsewhere? I'm using a Gungnir for melee and a clockwork assault rifle and megashark with crystal bullets for ranged and it sure doesn't feel so powerful these days.

The swords seem to be better than Excalibur in one way, but worse in another, either stronger but slower or faster but weaker. I think the chlorophyte spear seems like a straight upgrade over Gugnir, but I can't confirm this. I know the chlorophyte armor is cool though, strictly better than hallowed and has a nifty crystal that glows faintly and shoots at enemies. Not the strongest attack, but it's good for hellivator digging.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Are Skeletron's drops worth grinding out?

I might be wrong, but they are mostly cosmetic. It's up to you.

e: According to the wiki, there's a grappling hook like a not as good dual hook, and there's a spellbook that drops.

SirSamVimes posted:

And how do you summon Skeletron after the first time?

There's a clothier voodoo doll that might drop from skeletron or the dark casters, but rarely. It functions much like the guide voodoo doll.

Akett fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 3, 2013

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

SlyFrog posted:

Someone explain ropes for me. Because I'm having a hard time getting a lot of use out of them.

Well you can turn ten of them into a throwable coil, but you need to hit the bottom of an overhead block for them to work. You can place ropes horizontally, but it's slower to traverse ropes that way.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Man, eclipses move naturally into bloodmoons, making for over 20 minutes of fighting. A bigger problem is that eclipse enemies are able to hurt your NPCs while you aren't there, so your only course of action is to fight, which is loving crazy. I had a hardmode world that had enough housing for all the non Santa NPCs pre-patch, all houses filled, and now I only have three living NPCs who are only alive due to quirks in geometry.

Reaper dropped a swag scythe though. Now I have to decide between True Excalibur and True Night's Edge. Glad for that blood moon, I got a bandage off a werewolf so I don't have to try to get it off an angler fish.

e: Well, True Night's Edge is a lot more powerful than True Excalibur, but it seems to have a pretty slow swing speed and has the need to click for each swing problem. Ranged spinning sword beam thing though, pretty cool.

Akett fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Oct 3, 2013

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Speaking of odd walls, around the lava area of the underground but above hell there were some bluish-purple background walls that made me think of obsidian. Nothing interesting in the rooms though, only lava.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Ugh, so there's a whole series of accessories that drop from various hardmode enemies and all they do is each one has a debuff that it prevents. They would all be useless if not for the fact that they can all be combined together and then with the obsidian shield.

The problem is that the chance of them dropping is loving %1 on each enemy that can drop one. This would be problem enough if not for some of the enemies being loving rare in and of themselves. There's one that only drops off cursed skulls, cursed hammers, or enchanted swords. There's one that according to the wiki only drops from corruptors, but I honestly doubt it only drops from them.

This is loving taking a while.

Akett fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Oct 3, 2013

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Daeren posted:

I'm exploring the dungeon and picking up all the banners I see because I like fancy decorations and I don't remember them from 1.1. However, on the wiki, it says that the dungeon now has flags that determine what enemies spawn there in hard mode. Does that refer to the banners? If so, does that mean I'm neutering the hard mode dungeon by stealing all these flags?

More importantly, can I set up some sort of nightmarish thunderdome wherever I want with these things in hard mode, or are they only active in dungeon biomes?

Honestly I don't think those banners do anything for factions or anything like that. I was getting hardmode dungeon enemies in a 1.1 or 1.0.6 dungeon. I may be wrong though.

Speaking of the new hardmode dungeon, holy poo poo things there are loving brutal. Especially the paladins. 5000 health and they can throw hammers through walls.

Powercrazy posted:

Exploring a vast desert isn't very interesting.

There isn't more to explore in a large world, it just takes longer to explore it.

Once Red adds Very Large worlds in an upcoming patch I'm going to make one just for the sake of having a lot more room up in space for making a space colony. Even if I won't want to explore, larger worlds are good for building things in.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

So I've managed to make the best sword in the game, the Terra Blade and it's... not great. Sure it does three digits of base damage and fires off a sword shaped beam, but I just can't use it because it needs a click for each swing. Gaming and carpal tunnel are already playing a game of chicken with my left hand, I don't need to risk my right hand too.

The Death Sickle I got in the eclipse is better for most practical uses, it shoots off spectral scythes that spin, linger and do multiple hits. The second eclipse I was in I just held out in a hole and kept scythes spinning around the lips so things couldn't run in easily while I kept an eye out for reapers.

The bat wings that dropped off the vampires were pretty useful too, I crafted a set of wings and found they could fly half a screen higher than the angel wings.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

S.T.C.A. posted:

Holy poo poo, seeing what you guys are finding makes me want to just start over in a new world with my old character, partly because all his stash is on a shared world my friend has that I can't get to right now, heh.

I need to make a new, super-fancy personal stash world anyway... torn between Small since it'll be an expanding base/stash world, and Large in case I want to get resources without going to a different world.

Large wins, who am I kidding.

Ivy Whip: Still epic, or should I find something new? Is the Terraria wiki already packed with the new stuff?

You get the same amount of resources no matter the map size, save for fewer floating islands on a small map.

The official wiki has an article for just about every item added to the game, but not everything is yet known about the items, there are several cool things they still haven't listed how to obtain.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Heavy neutrino posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble finding the Ice Key -- gone through a whole Solar Eclipse, Blood Moon, and numerous nights with Battle potions without finding it. It can be found on the surface biome, right?

If my finding the corruption key on the surface is any indication, yes.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Barring that, if you can reliably kill the Destroyer, you can at least get part of the Hallowed Armor; I'm not sure if the new recipe requires souls or not, but all the 1.1 hardmode bosses drop Hallowed Ore now instead of you needing to smush all three hardmode sets together.

None of the new Hallowed Armor set pieces require any materials besides the bars dropped from all three of the old hardmode bosses.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Ashsaber posted:

E: does anyone know whether dungeon keys spawn in surfac biomes? I don't really want to have to clear out an area in the UG snow.

They do, I got my corruption key on the surface.

Holy poo poo, my main world is on its third blood moon in a row. This wouldn't be much of a problem if there were anything useful I could be doing away from my base in a non-hardmode world. This coupled with my finding out on another world of mine that the wiki was wrong about your NPCs getting killed offscreen during an eclipse while I fight and fail to defend them is kind of starting to annoy me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Okay, I think I've given it enough time to know the conditions. You can make a Chlorophite farm so long as you have a single Chlorophite ore and as much mud as you want to make into Chlorophite. The conditions are that the world has to be hard mode and the farm area needs to be below sea level, if not the cavern layer, and you aren't required to make it a jungle for it to work. The more mud you have the longer it takes to spread, but you can use multiple bits of ore spread out to make it go faster.

• Locked thread