Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

"Get some duct tape, because these guys are RIPPED."

How appropriate that the best quote to steal was from Archer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Phylodox posted:

I thought Man of Steel was pretty awesome. :shrug:

Seconded. I thought it was a great take on a more 'realistic' Superman story (relatively, of course).

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Drifter posted:

I wasn't sure what to think about Summer's character. She seemed like a typical faux-antagonist. She's not going to repeat on the show, is she? I wonder how that character would advance any development. But I guess Ollie has to get better at running his company somehow, so maybe she pushes that side of him.

I believe Amell had said he's so far not seem anything to suggest she's a villain.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

qbert posted:

Just realized the actress who plays Canary was that girl from Mad Men that tried to seduce Don in California.

I remember her more as the other end of the most :smith: phone call ever.

Great episode. I do wish the recast wasn't so completely different top the pilot actress though (on the other hand I love Caity Lotz - giving her dark hair in the reshoot would probably have been fine). The Brother Blood scene was badass - I wonder if he'll go right on the nose and call the drug Crucible.

One thing - where did Sarah say she knew Slade? I must've missed that.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

dreffen posted:

She didn't, I don't think. Just easy to assume it's Island related, though.

e: unless its early and im misreading, but she did ask him, just before Lance stopped to ask Oliver for help

Yeah, thanks, I went back and caught it. Lord this show is great.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

bbf2 posted:

The DA that Laurel works you're referring to is just some guy for Laurel's subplot. Summer Glau and Brother Blood are side villains. (Glau is a corporate villain, Brother Blood the criminal side). The main villain for this season is the League of Assassins, led by motherfucking Ra's Al Ghul. I don't know if we'll see Ra's himself in the flesh this season, but the League of Assassins itself is clearly the biggest threat and will be the main antagonists.

Yeah, I'm betting Ra's will be the final shot of the season.

Of course, I didn't expect to see Canary unmasked this soon, so what do I know :v:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

And Watchtower ended up being her codename, because Smallville did not do subtlety.

It's not like either Lotz or Cassidy would actually be doing the real action stuff though.

Don't know about Cassidy, but...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caity_Lotz

quote:

Lotz is also a martial artist, with some training in Taekwondo, Wushu and Muay Thai. She is also a practitioner of Parkour and Tricking.

quote:

In 2011, Lotz starred as Officer Kirsten Landry, one of the main characters in the MTV horror, black comedy mockumentary series Death Valley. Lotz performs all her own stunts on the show.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Glorious.

Rarity posted:

Isobel Ruchev is a separate DC character, so it's unlikely but still possible I guess.

Mixing characters isn't unheard of. I can think of one series who recently jumped into it headfirst. Namely, Elementary.

Also, Blackthorne owns. Detective Lance vs an Assassin was great. Especially the one-liner.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Error 404 posted:

have Sara become a gender-swapped Deathstroke.

If this happened and she fought China White I'd have a good laugh.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Wolvorine posted:

Wait... whowhatwhere now?!

Rocksicles posted:

Cavil vs Batfleck. The are casting for Nightwing. some tool from Girls is a contender

His name is Adam Driver.

And supposedly he's being looked at to play Nightwing specifically.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

VDay posted:

Don't worry, everyone knows it's going to be Justin Bieber.

He'll be busy as Bleep.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

The way this is going CW is going to end up the trainer league for DC movies. Its only a matter of time before Time Warner/DC renegotiates with CW about Batman/Superman It seems pointless to have two completely different DCU's on screens.
Having it all linked with proper working budgets would be a ratings crushathon for CW and bums on seats for all the movies.

Although, the last thing DC did right was during the 90's.

I swear to god, if Season 2 ends with a surprise early Batfleck appearance I will lose my poo poo (in the good way).

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

One note - Thin, young, sexy Amanda Waller had a recent appearance outside of the comics and Arrow, so yeah, it seems like the original design is not being used anymore.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Oh drat! There's been new casting info, but the headline is a spoiler, and I don't know how to attach a url to a sentence the Awful app. Look on IGN if you don't mind spoilers - it's another Spartacus alum! Hope you all loved Mira like me...

BreakAtmo fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 20, 2013

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Teek posted:

Here you go. HUGE casting spoiler:

http://tinyurl.com/mak8uax

:doh: I cannot believe I didn't think of this. Thanks.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

teagone posted:

gently caress, why the hell isn't Liam McIntyre or Dustin Clare on this show yet?! I'm 100% all for Arrow being the Spartacus actor refugee haven.

Since Liam didn't get to be Batman, he can go with the other option: http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Catman

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Spergatory posted:

New clip!

Barry gets all :science: and :swoon: over the vigilante. It is adorable. :3:

Wow. This clip was all :D :D :D :heysexy: :D :D and then :smith: :unsmith:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Krad posted:

This was probably asked back in season 1, but is there any reason why they call it the League of Assassins and not Shadows? I thought it was to tiptoe around Batman and anything that had to do with him, but if you're going to name Ra's all the time... yeah, don't see the point of the name change.

League of Assassins is the original name from the comic books. League of Shadows is a pure Nolan invention since (from what I heard) he realised that Bruce joining a group called the League of Assassins only to say "Wait, you want me to KILL people? That's not my style" after all the training would be really stupid. Arrow is using the proper name.

That said, I prefer League of Shadows.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Liam McIntyre as Catman. :colbert:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

etalian posted:

The show needs batman, with Liam McIntyre as the bringer of wayne.

Hey, that's my joke! (edit: ^^^ thank you)

I actually was thinking that since Liam didn't get to play Batman, it would be great for him to play Catman for laughs.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

TheChad posted:

S1 is honestly pretty good. Campy but very fun. S2 has been better imo.

S2 has gone insane in the best way. Plus, am I right in thinking it's toned down on the DRAMATIC MOMENTS OF A LOVE THAT CANNOT BE WITH SAD MUSIC TELLING YOU TO BE SAD scenes?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

etalian posted:

It was a really good joke from the Spartacus thread, even Liam McIntyre loved it.

The annoying thing is that I did come up with it, but he missed my tweet. He got it from some other dude who tweeted it the day after me - dunno if he came up with it independently or passed it off as his own idea.

Oh well, who cares. Back to dream Spartacus->Arrow casting. Peter Mensah as Onomatopoeia. Lucy Lawless as Cupid. Boot Katie Cassidy and replace her with Viva Bianca.

Rocksicles posted:

Lugo as Clayface or Killer Croc

Lugo as Bane.

TheChad posted:

I honestly can't believe Catman is a real dc villain. I kinda thought you were making that up.

When I went looking for Green arrow villains, I honestly thought the Marvel Database was loving with me.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

Bane should at least be Mexican.

Eh, I suppose you're right. I wasn't sure exactly how important that was regarded, but yeah, after the lovely version in B&R and the awesome(I thought)-but-heavily-reimagined version in Rises, a live-action Mexican Bane is pretty thoroughly due.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

TheChad posted:

Bane would make a kickass recurring character but they'd have to completely separate the movie/tv universes to make it work.

I'm okay with that, 100%.

Wait, why would that be needed?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

TheChad posted:

Because the movie Bane is horrible and I cannot accept that.

If you're talking about TDKR Bane the Nolan trilogy already exists in its own universe and has nothing to do with Arrow at all. The only Batman continuity Arrow MIGHT be connected to - and it's still nothing but rumours right now - is the one started by Man of Steel and the upcoming sequel. And hell, I can imagine they would stay away from Bane as a Batfleck villain since he was just in Rises, so Arrow could actually be the best place for him.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

TheChad posted:

I wonder how unlikely it would be for them to be able to nab Trejo.

Danny Trejo as Bane is something I would perform multiple obscure ritual sacrifices for.

And it probably could be done - Trejo's done TV before (all I know of is the couple of Breaking Bad episodes).

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

TheChad posted:

It's preordained, really.

Hell, have Trejo-Bane use a machete at one point as a joke. Or have Ollie grab a machete and slash a Venom tube with it.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

jscolon2.0 posted:

This reads more ambiguously than you probably intended. :quagmire:

Bollie 4-EVA.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Torrannor posted:

How dare these others for enjoying a grounded tv show on the basis of comics, and complaining if the show moves away from that basic premise. I'm not even sure how much superpowers we will see, so the complaints may be premature. But it is not like comic fans "own" the show, people who prefer a more down to earth approach (in comparison to outright superhero shows at least) have every right to be pissed if the show changes.

I for one love the idea of a show being 'grounded' for an extended amount of time before introducing supernatural elements. We never get it, though, because of these types who hate change and whine whenever the basic premise shifts. I'm looking forward to Arrow testing the approach out.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm someone who prefers grounded superhero stories to the more outlandish high science fiction that occasionally becomes popular in the field. (Man of Steel was a proudly SciFi film - and suffered mightily for it) And certainly, I think its valid to get squeamish at the show heading into uncharted waters, even if those uncharted waters are precisely the reason this season has been so engaging.

A few friends of mine have voiced the "I want the show to remain grounded!" concerns, and I usually end up defending the show decision to introduce superpowers. And my reasoning is a pretty simple one - We've never seen it before.

In the comics, Batman stories usually take place in a world completely devoid of superpowers or one overflowing with craziness. That actual transition between "mobsters with guns" to "lady who controls Plants" has never really been attempted in an ongoing form whatsoever. A lot of great Batman literature is about that transition - Long Halloween comes to mind. But they've all been limited series, meant to slot into that accordion of mythology.

Smallville actually started out with nice boundaries and organic explanations for powers - I'll defend the meteor shower as one of the few smart additions their creative team made. But the show so completely botched expanding the world out farther, into Metropolis and beyond.

I'm rambling here, but I hope this isn't entirely incoherent.

This is exactly what I was saying. I want to see characters witness supernatural events and be shocked and unsettled right along with them. You don't get that from a show where the supernatural revelations come in the pilot and are the show's basic premise. A show going with sorta-realism for a full season and a half before introducing powers puts us in the shoes of the characters a lot better.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Everything is wonderful. Except the hiatus. gently caress the hiatus. I want more Arrow, and I want it now.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Boogaleeboo posted:

By that logic Tommy is going to be brought back, as he would be the Ghost of Christmas Future.

If you REALLY stretch an interpretation you could say that Tommy's speech about Ollie being a hero and not a murderer is about his future as a superhero. But really I'd say the hallucinations weren't supposed to be such a specific reference.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Dracorion posted:

Yes, but it'll be good Felicity wearing them as her everyday wear. Evil Fecility will dress surprisingly conservatively.

This is ridiculous. At what point have conservatism and blatant supervillainy gone hand-in-ha-oh.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

VDay posted:

The creators have said that the Flash show gives them a chance to explore some of the more fantastical/mystical/magical heroes/villians while keeping Arrow grounded in some kind of relative realism, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a whole bunch of consequences to the particle accelerator exploding.

I actually don't like this at all. The idea of fantastical elements entering Arrow and the characters having to deal with these huge changes in how they see the world sounds much more interesting than having one 'grounded' show and one 'fantastical' show when we KNOW they're set in the same universe anyway.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

Am I alone in thinking there absolutely has to be an annual crossover episode on each show?

Yes.

There should be like 4 or 5 per season.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

VDay posted:

To be fair I'm just paraphrasing based on what (little) I remember about the interview. I think it's less about having Arrow be the serious, grounded show while Flash is super whacky magical fun hour and more about the Flash show opening some doors for them to explore characters that don't make 100% complete sense on Arrow.

Ehh, I still don't like the idea of them sticking stuff in Flash just because it doesn't make much sense in Arrow. The shows are concretely set in the same universe - taking a concept or character that doesn't work in one and putting it in the other while never mentioning it feels silly to me. It feels like if there was a series of movies about another DCU character that had magic and stuff in it despite being established as set in the same universe as the Nolan Batman movies, and dealt with it by simply never mentioning it in the Batman films. If they're going to have magic and superpowers in this universe, just all the way - there's no logical reason why it would just never show up in Starling City.

I mean, I'm probably being pedantic about something that won't be a huge deal, but I've never been a fan of the tendency for shows set in the same universe to feature huge events in one show that are never even mentioned in the other. Like how the impending rise of the First Evil is never so much as discussed in Angel S4, apart from a small crossover, and even then Angel only talks about the First in the Buffy episode. I want Arrow and Flash to flout that with semi-frequent crossovers and discussion of big events happening in each show, even if it's a throwaway line or a news broadcast.

quote:

And yeah, they need to have Barry just randomly appear in every other episode of Arrow, even if for just one second or to just zoom by for 2-3 frames.

This, however, is the best possible idea.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

Hey, actual Black Canary team-up time. So I'm not quite sure how I feel about the "Sara's alive" thing, because S1 made her death a big, big loving deal in a lot of ways, so to suddenly go "oh no, the thing is she actually survived and Ollie knew, but then maybe he thought she died again because reasons"...like, it's not as though either comics or soap operas are shy about that sort of dramatic twist, but Sara's death wasn't played as just a random tragedy, it was presented as one of the big reasons why Ollie became the person he is, so for them to not just bring her back but to reveal that Ollie knew about her survival beyond the shipwreck kinda has me hoping that the writers have a handle on things.

Well, we don't know the details of her second 'death' yet. It still seems like Ollie is responsible somehow, so it still fits. It's a bit iffy, though, I agree.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

Really, Arrow? No CCH Pounder for Amanda Waller? C'mon son, that's practically a gimme. No points there.

I heard they're just going with the new version of Waller from the New 52 (and another recent appearance which I don't want to spoil).

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Holy poo poo. I got Injustice (waited for the PS4 version), and while I knew one of Green Arrow's alternates was the Arrow outfit, what I didn't know was that that costume comes with full Stephen Amell voicework.

Amell loving rules, seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Since when is Grundy anywhere near close to Superman? I mean, I know he's immortal, but strength-wise?

• Locked thread