Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Fallorn posted:

Them never addressing it besides having mobsters treating him with crazy amounts of respect would be a great thing. Also the people who have seen him with his shirt off not recognizing the gang tattoos is wtf thing.

Those Abs are distracting as hell man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Drifter posted:

Haha. Arrow is so far above Coulson's Agents of SHIELD in terms of writing and characterization. Sure, they're both based off of comics, but there's no competition.

You wouldn't say that if you had just watched the Huntress arc of Arrow.

SHIELD has had 3 episodes, and Whedon shows almost always take a while to get up and running.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

New Leaf posted:

That was the same reason Goku wanted to leave the planet in Dragon Ball Z, he thought that since he was so strong things kept showing up wanting to fight him and oh god I'm such a nerd what have I been doing with my life?

Shrug. You are in a thread about a CW show based on a comic book. We are all Nerds.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

hcreight posted:

They put up a 30 second preview of next week on the show's Facebook page. Amell claims it's the best episode of the series so far.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201947492196536

I wonder if Roy will be injured in that accident. And I don't know maybe lose an arm or something.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Maybe he should grow some facial hair!

The opening scene in episode one is as close as you are going to get. This is the CW you know.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah okay no, Laurel is still a dumbass. Her dad was a dumbass in the first season for the exact same reasons and the same rationale is still dumb here.

"I saw you leaving when the bad thing happened!"
:qqsay:

It's not even like unforgivably dumb but when every other character is doing fine, she really sticks out.

It makes perfect since if you remember this is based off of a comic book character. This happens to almost every masked hero at one point in their career.

Also People who suffer traumatic experiences tend to not be the most rational actors in regards to that situation.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Oh god info dump realization.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

I really hope Detective Lance actually has figured out that Oliver Queen is the Arrow and just doesn't feel like mentioning it.

That would be great.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

gently caress FUUUUUUUUCK gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

This motherfucking show is way better than it has any right to be.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Drifter posted:

I was mainly answering regarding why Moira's family doesn't hate her so much for helping to kill all those dudes. Although to be fair, ~350 people when multiple city blocks were obliterated is pretty low percentage of population deaths.

Thea was pissed enough where until Ollie came back she didn't even want to see her mother. And poo poo even if my parents/sister killed someone or committed mass murder I wouldn't hate them and would still probably see them in prison.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Holy Drunk Driving and alcoholism PSA Batman Arrow

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Hollis posted:

Not yet but soon. Also who's Alex Kingston?

Actor who played Laurel's mom who believed that Sarah was still alive.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Arrows middle episodes last season were pretty bad. Huntress and Family bonding episodes cringe worthyArrow started and ended strong but the middle was bleh

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Um...What's going on?

Seriously does anyone even understand the myth arc here? Brother Blood, League of Assassins, Merlyn who's the actual villain here and how is this show going to juggle this many subplots together?

Brother Blood is a wildcard. But Merlyn and the League of Assasins share the same subplot.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The Young Justice Cartoon that was on CN was essentially a Cartoon CW show so that could very easily work.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

xeria posted:

I get that, but also going "well he becomes Tiddlywinks and she becomes Angerbang and the other guy will eventually be Smorgasbord the Barbarian and how cool will it turn out to be in the show and I wonder when it'll happen" isn't the same thing as discussing it after it actually happens. That's what I think Mr Beens is getting at -- the comic links are cool, and certainly worthy of discussion, but it detracts a little from watching the show as standalone material to have people constantly talking about how awesome it's going to be in some indeterminate future when Billy turns into Arrow's arch-nemesis, Smorgasbord, when Smorgasbord does not actually 'exist' in the show yet.

Like, I think there's a difference between my fake Billy/Smorgasbord example -- where Smorgasbord hasn't actually appeared on-screen or really been referenced in the non-flashback portions of the show -- and, say, Sara/Canary. We know that Sara becomes Canary, we know poo poo went down on that island, and the discussion is just speculating about what happened to turn her into Canary. It'd be different if the only Sara we had was her popping back up alive on the island and no Canary in present-time, but people kept saying, "Oh man, I can't wait for Sara to come back as Canary! It's going to blow Oliver's mind!"

We actually didn't know it was Sarah who would be Canary until after the first Season. Everyone assumed it would be Laurel eventually. The creators have been pretty free with information which leads to situations in this thread where the creators have pretty much said, Yo, Sarah is coming back this year and will be Canary. Since Casting news is no longer a spoiler, you end up in situations where we are talking about things long before they happen.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Luckily for Marvel the Inhumans are pretty much Mutants without using the term Mutants.

It's actually kinda hillarious.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Rarity posted:

It's not up to anyone to decide that other people should be ok with being spoiled. If people want to talk about the show while remaining ignorant of future events they have every right to be allowed that and not to feel like they can't join in the thread. It doesn't matter if you know that Simon goes evil and turns into Thunderblarg in the comics, there's no need to bring it up in the discussion of current episodes because that knowledge doesn't change anything and you're just excluding part of the show's audience. I think the show works just as well whether you've read the comics or not and to be honest, when the people who know say "hehe, well you should be happy to know what I know so you can truly appreciate the show" it kinda comes off as condescending and makes you seem like a bit of a prick.

Going to Backseat mod to say no Backseat Modding. If you feel like something is against the rules then report it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

VDay posted:

This show's really weird about spoilers in general just due to the fact that every comic book character has a dozen different identities/histories/origins/personalities to draw from. I've managed to avoid getting spoiled on anything to do with GoT by avoiding every place on the internet that might even accidentally spoil me, but I constantly google characters from this show to see what their deal in the comics is because I'm curious. Maybe part of it is that the show isn't exactly subtle about its characters' roles in the grand scheme of things, so there isn't really much to spoil other than the details. Like it was pretty obvious during season 1 that Felicity would join the team, it's obvious Roy is somehow going to get more involved as well, it was obvious from the moment that he showed up that Brother Blood was probably up to no good, etc.

With that said though I'm all for an end to just straight comic book chat. As someone who doesn't know anything about the comic books other than a bunch of character names and the general kind of info any nerd has picked up through the years, there were pages of this thread that I just breezed over because it was nothing but talk of how people think one character will end up and hoping that he's more like Version 4123 from Comic Book Run #A442 than some other version from some other universe.

Hillarious enough Felicity is pretty much a name they pulled only as a reference because she does computer stuff. And she wasn't a given to join. IIRC they promoted her because fan response to her was high.

Her joining the team was in no way a given.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

Respecting the mods ruling on staying away from Comic discussion and the Bleeding Cool supposed teaser about stuff coming up in season 2 my personal opinion is that both Shado and Slade could easily make it off the island alive and start showing up in the present day show.
As far back as season 1, Ollie says to Digg when asked about the notebook, that Ollie verified it's authenticity from a message his dad left him off the island.
I took that as meaning that at some stage, maybe the end of year 2 or 3, Ollie will leave the island, do some Russian stuff and then return to the island.
I'm putting that down as my prediction.

I'm 99.9% sure Slade is still alive. Shado I give probably a 3% chance of being alive. Maybe Shado's death caused Ollie and Slade to split or something like that.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Phylodox posted:

I think that's because a Queen Consolidated facility got robbed.

In Which his Driver(Former Military) and Personal Assistant(Who has been known to work directly with the Hood Arrow) are there investigating with Ollie

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

You mean he's a... Chauffeur of colour?

Quick semi-serious question: how politically correct/incorrect is referring to African-Americans as "coloured" or "people of colour"? My English education didn't extend that far and I don't want to be racist via ignorance. :shobon:

VVVVV Gotcha, cheers.

Generally Black will suffice. So long as the context you are using it in isn't derogatory in nature.

Of Color will probably get the point across, But That could technically include any minority, and comes off as a bit condescending.

Holy poo poo Never say coloured.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I strangely like the side story with Roy and Sin.I just like Roy though it's the abs.

HOLYYYY SHITT that back story!
Are spoiler tags okay?

Ahaha This show owns.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I am now sure this Kid can carry an entire show on his own though.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

raditts posted:

I'm guessing that Slade was the "last one" injected with the serum whose body Ollie burns on the island.

I think he was the first.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Moira is so goddamn dead.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

:stare: Holy loving poo poo Ollie

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

:allears: This loving series.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Welp Spoilers for next episode.

Like Seriously. You probably shouldn't look at these unless you want to be spoiled. I'm actually kinda pissed I ran into them looking at the Next Episode extended Promo. So I'm going to give you all the option to let a surprise get ruined.

Welp. If that Happens then that explains how Roy is eventually going to don the Red Hood.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Drifter posted:

So is Ollie Superpowered too or what, because how else did he jam that arrow into a leg as dense as concrete with his bare hand in the truck?

He Cut the Skin. Didn't penetrate the muscle.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Wrong thread.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

DivisionPost posted:

That could set up a REALLY interesting path for Thea becoming Ollie's sidekick. She's got a natural knack for aiming (talent), and she watched her charming, strong, and otherwise innocent boyfriend get chewed up by forces more powerful than him (motive). If this is indeed where they're going, I wonder how long it'll take for it to bear fruit.

As long as it takes for Thea to get either
A) 5 years of training with a League of Assassins/Russians
B) Injected with Super Solider Serum.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

I came after Dig ran to the car and there was Ollie. What did I miss?

Also, are Slade and Green Arrow natural enemies in the comic universe? That is to say, is Slade in GA rouges gallery?

Slade is a rogue of any of the non-superpowered/low tier Super heroes.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

fallin1 posted:

He'd make a pretty decent adventurer.

:sigh:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

:stare: Holy poo poo.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Eh. Really didn't beat his Father.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

gently caress SLADE FUUUUUUUCK

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

FUUUUUUUUUCK gently caress gently caress gently caress HOLY poo poo FUUUUUUCK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Probably let go of the Metal dude.

• Locked thread