Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

He still joins that Russian gang or whatever. There's a story there.

Personally, I think it would be pretty hilarious and awesome if they just never addressed this. Ollie is a capo in the Russian Mob. Deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

There was just a huge derail about male physiques in show business in YLLS's image thread.

It's a superhero show, so they do their best to look like superheroes.

SHIELD is turning out to be not bad. Between that and Arrow, there's a real potential for some competition in superhero TV shows that are not awful, which I think for fans is a good thing.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Just caught up, and yea, that was awesome.

It seemed like every major element, while not perfect, was better. Even Laurel and all her stuff seems more relevant and connected, and despite one really soapy scene they seem to putting will they/won't they on the back burner, which is a good thing.

I'm also super curious how they're gonna do the effects for the Flash and make them not look awful.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Rope arrow is awesome. Arrow does a great job of embracing the absurdities and cheesiness of superhero media.

Also, rope arrow is one step closer to boxing glove arrow!

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Taffer posted:

I embrace the absurdity, for it is awesome.

This needs to be the new thread title btw.

Also, Roy holding the gun he took off the Hoods just screamed 'Arsenal' to me, not as much Speedy/Red Arrow.

Also I really hope that the likely Ollie/Slade falling out does not revolve around a love triangle with Shado.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

New Leaf posted:

What rank of IT makes it so you're privy to super high-level corporate meetings like Felicity? I mean, I love her, don't get me wrong, but there's no way she'd just be allowed to hang out during those.

The one where you do lots of secret illegal poo poo for your bosses.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Didn't this threaders ct mostly negatively to this shows Huntress? I personally didn't mind it, but does the potential for a birds of prey make up for that?

Maybe it was just the writing.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

mcbexx posted:

Complaints about Felicity's appearance

She looks wonderful, this is not a real problem.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

This show is something of an equal opportunist when it comes to objectifying its characters.

And I don't know if I first read about it here, but I would be totally down for a Slade/Ollie/Shado love triangle, but with Slade crushing on Ollie instead of Shado. That, would probably be unexpected.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Legacyspy posted:

Uhggggggg there going to be a love triangle between roy/thea/sin isn't there...

Yea, I don't expect them to do that. They have shown Thea to be a much more mature and thoughtful young woman this season, rather than the damaged brat (a line I just stole from the AV Club review) she was at the start of last season.

This show is not afraid to move fast. No sir.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I know people here have been pretty excited about the Canary stuff, and I wanted to point out that it seems like Caity Lotz has much better chemistry with Amell than Katie Cassidy.

Or maybe its just the kick rear end action sequences.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

WarLocke posted:

Also, it might just be me but IMO Amell is amazing in this show. He manages to pull off 'emotionally dead inside survivor scared to begin living again' in one scene and as soon as it goes to the island he's instantly 'spoiled rich kid trying to hide behind tough facade'.

And that was just back in the first season. The scene in this last episode where he's trying to keep information from the captain but the captain is just "This is the right island :smug:" is just amazing.

And just look at him when he's talking to Canary in the hospital. :unsmith:

To add a little context to that, he has greatly improved since the start of the show, which as we all mostly agree was kinda goofy and awkward.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Drifter posted:

That's silly, don't be like that. She is going to go through a dramatic drunken-disorderly story arc for a few episodes; she'll probably be like Ollie's sister in the beginning of season 1 for a while, and then she'll realize the things about her sister, and then her sister'll die to save them from ninjas or whatever, and Laurel will stop drinking when she learns of her sister's death a second time and then take up the mantle of the Canary using all her fighting skills she learned about during the island underground Russian Rage Cage matches secret ninja assassin monasteries Karate class.

They've been pretty inconsistent with Laurel's martial abilities. Sometimes she is totally competent in self defense and firearms use, and other times shes pretty much just a Damsel in Distress.

That being said, they've been pretty inconsistent with pretty much everything related to Laurel.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

VDay posted:

It makes sense that she's trying to cope after almost being killed, but I agree that it feels like there's an episode missing in there. Like I mentioned earlier I don't like that Laurel went from illogically (if understandably) hating Arrow to now being irrationally (but again, understandably) upset at Ollie/her dad. That kind of character can be interesting if given good material and plenty of time to develop or show the struggles/eventual redemption, but the combination of Laurel's diminished screentime combined with Katie Cassidy's inability to do much with said screentime just kind of leaves Laurel as this boring, annoying character. At least her hating the Arrow led to some good scenes and an eventual revelation for her, so hopefully this does too.

While the breakneck pacing is super legit for every other character, the writer's need to find a way to make Laurel's development feel less awkward and forced. Like VDay said, developing a drinking problem after mourning the deaths of 2 significant others and a sister, multiple near death experiences, as well as living through the trauma of the Undertaking is not the most unreasonable thing. They just have to make it fit with the rest of the show which is taking off.

Now they have to get from struggling near alcoholic -> superhero with Laurel. I don't envy the writers job there.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

packsmack posted:

Also, resurrecting characters on TV is mostly in the realm of soap operas.

Not to be too mean, but what are you talking about this show has soap pouring out of its pores.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I would literally squeal if this were to happen. I had my hopes up last season when they had poo poo going down in Bludhaven which is where Nightwing (who is Dick Grayson the first Robin for the non-comic folks) is based out of.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I am not ok with the lack of Slade in my life.

I really want to see how Slade become's Ollie's enemy.

Spoilered for comic/other media things.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Small thing, Caity Lotz's line in Mandarin was so much better than Amell's from last season (As in, I could actually tell what she was saying).

I'm pretty much already a huge Caity Lotz fan. Moar please.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

The problem with Laurel is that she mainly exists to get angry at people or have to be rescued.

This certainly seemed to be the case last year, this year she exists to have her life turn to poo poo while superheros are fighting the League of Assassins.

Coq au Nandos posted:

Just give her a meaty plot line!

This. Thea was super annoying for chunks of last season as well, and now she has her role in the story. The writers are deliberately writing Laurel out of all the exciting poo poo that's going on, and having her hit her low point. I'm guessing its supposed to be a trial of her character, hit her low point, and somehow miraculously in the next season or two come out of it wiser and stronger as the Canary. But both the writers and Katie Cassidy are gonna have to step their game up.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Make up and lighting can do pretty amazing things. Make someone look 5-10 years older is pretty run of the mill for those guys I imagine.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

His Mandarin is marginally better though.

edit: And it's not like Russian and Mandarin are easy languages either.

wedgie deliverer fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 14, 2013

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I officially have no idea where this show is going and I'm so OK with that.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Does plot speculation require spoilers? I'll do it anyway just in case.

Baseless prediction for Laurel's arc: Her time in the DA's office will leave her jaded and disillusioned with the legal system's ability to enact justice, will leave to accomplish her goals outside the system, gets injected with magic green crap, CANARY CRYYYYYYY.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Oracle posted:

it makes no sense to me to FREEZE SELECTED MUSCLES IN YOUR FACE.

Not to be a dick, but I'm pretty sure looking as inhumanly pretty as possible is a pretty big part of their jobs, and they are under reasonably high pressure to maintain that look.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Any wild guesses on who's gonna die? Other than Laurel/Sarah. Maybe in flashback lands?

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Yea that was amazing. Grant Gustin, kid has some chops! I'm already pumped for this Flash show.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

They've been teasing it a lot, but have any of the producers/showrunners said whether or not the are actually gonna do the entire Barry Allan origin on Arrow? Or are they just gonna set it up forever and have him actually get his powers in the Flash pilot?

I know that studios love to do origin stories, but I think it would be nice if Arrow took care of it (I mean they just won't shut up about the particle accelerator) and the Flash series just started with an already powered Barry doing the Flash thing in Central City.

Also last question - what city is Star(ling) City supposed to be representative of? Seattle?

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Also, people in this show have a tendency to not be really dead (Except prob Ollie's dad and all the nameless thugs. Vertigo is also a pretty good bet).

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Spoilers for speculation

Maybe Ollie bites off more than he can chew regarding Brother Bloods stable of super soldiers, and the newly powered Barry will come in and save him.

I really hope at some point he says something super hammy like "I'll be back in a flash"

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

"Arrow Season 2: All these outrageously attractive women look weird"

Seriously? Of all the criticisms you could levy at these actresses (who I personally think are doing alright) is that they look weird?

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I have to imagine that on a major film like Green Lantern Berlanti and Guggenheim did not have as much creative control over what was going on as they do on Arrow. Not that this supports my previous claim in any way, but Joss Whedon has written a bunch of scripts for big budget movies, comic book or not, and asked for his name to be removed after changes to what he wrote were made.

Or maybe they just hosed up.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I thought you were scolding me for mocking comics chat so I was giving examples of why that policy doesn't work in this show's case. People keep calling the muscle dude "Proto Grundy" but how could you know who Solomon Grundy is if you haven't read the comics?

Bruce Timm's Justice League/JLU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

http://www.avclub.com/review/arrow-became-great-by-emphasizing-characters-above-200605

Yesssss, validate our love for this show please!

Btw I think their analysis is pretty spot on. Writers (and I do think the onus is mostly on the writers here) fix Laurel please!

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I'm hoping they do a Landry-type thing and just pretend like all this lawyering never happened while giving her a new fresh setting to work out of. Something that will somehow lead to her being a you know, superhero.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Spoiler clip from tomorrows episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R__C0BJHRc

I'm pumped

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Its comic books, she can 'die' for a bit no problem.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

In season 1, Ollie went from being totally useless to being able to help Slade on missions in a matter of a few episodes. Sure he wasn't the badass he is now, but he was competent and dangerous.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Man, looking back Tommy's character was so annoying at the start of season 1. Now, we all loving lose it when he has a (albeit amazing) cameo.

If the writers could fix that they can fix Laurel. I believe!

Best episode yet by far.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Only gripe: Shado got refrigerated. Her and her dad went out execution style, brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Slade still called The Vigilante his friend, maybe there is hope for Slade to forgive Ollie? (After lots of awesome fighting of course)

Gotta keep options open, not like this show is easy to predict.

• Locked thread