Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Aphrodite posted:

He still joins that Russian gang or whatever. There's a story there.

They've more or less confirmed that Ollie did leave the Island at some point. (In one episode he's asked about the diary, and he says that he confirmed it's content in a message his dad left for him that wasn't on the island.)

So there's a storyline about Ollie leaving the island. But there's an even better storyline which is that he CAME BACK to the island.

I'm also fairly sure that Biriylia will be mentioned in this season (if it hasn't already been mentioned.) So we might see an Arrow version of Queen Bee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

By the way, was it just me or when Moria showed up in Prison, I was convinced that she was looking ripped (particularly in the arms.)

Which, you know, makes sense considering that's what people in prisons do. Even rich people prison, they work out.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

The question I have (see that's a pun on my name.) is Sarah appeared in a number of episodes on Season 1. I specifically remember in an episode where Ollie was shown in flashback meeting with Laurel in front of the boat, hiding Sarah from seeing her.

I am sure that in that episode, Sarah was deliberately not shown. So I think if we look back over Season 1, Sarah is in a few episodes, but I distinctly remember them hiding her in other episodes.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Taliaquin posted:

According to Rucka, you're right about the fiat. They seriously killed Nyssa for that resurrection because someone at DC didn't like her and handed down the order for someone to just get rid of her.

One of my favorite characters right there, so I'm going to start watching Arrow now.

Death and the Maidens should always be recommended (even though I don't like the art).

EDIT: Let me just say that I never would have expected this, and I really hope someone at DC is making GBS threads themselves over it. :toot:

The worst part about it? She didn't even get a proper death. She effectively died off camera when she gets into a car that Cassandra Caine had rigged to explode. And it's done in such a way that you figure it is a double bluff designed to allow Nyssa to come back later or to have faked her death. But nope, that was supposed to have been her death. Of course this was during the horrible phase where Cassandra Caine was evil....'cause.

Man the knowledge that they are using obscure 90's Bat characters like Nyssa, leads me to hope we might get David Caine as an adversary in the series.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

And, in addition to all the other great plot threads going on, there is Amanda Waller and her Taskforce Strikeforce X. This is a show which has Bronze Tiger, Deathstroke, Deadshot and others running around. I really think we are likely to see the Suicide Squad on the show, perhaps for the finale.

Oh I'd love it if we get to see another of Slade's pals from the Australian military.
Captain Digger "Boomerang" Harkins. They call him Boomerang, because no matter the mission, he always comes back!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Respecting the mods ruling on staying away from Comic discussion and the Bleeding Cool supposed teaser about stuff coming up in season 2 my personal opinion is that both Shado and Slade could easily make it off the island alive and start showing up in the present day show.
As far back as season 1, Ollie says to Digg when asked about the notebook, that Ollie verified it's authenticity from a message his dad left him off the island.
I took that as meaning that at some stage, maybe the end of year 2 or 3, Ollie will leave the island, do some Russian stuff and then return to the island.
I'm putting that down as my prediction.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

So I watched the Flash episode of Arrow and really liked it. I think they did an awesome job introducing him and making him a distinct, nice character.
Plus he had some really nice chemistry with Feleciity (but to Hell with him if he thinks he can be with her instead of Ollie! Rargh, grr, irrational hatred of shipping that I don't support.)

One thing I will say is this episode, while capable of standing on it's own merits as a part of Arrow's season 2 also did a good job of setting up the basics of creating a spin off show. (So much so that I can understand how the execs decided to give Flash his own pilot.
Because in the episode you are shown an actor playing a new character with a lot of charisima, he is shown as being someone interesting enough that he can hold his own show.
But crucially they give him his own DEAL.

"I go around investigating/ looking into weird crimes that everyone else writes off. All in the hopes that I can put some meaning on my life and get my dad out of prison."

Bang, that's a hook right there. Well done Arrow people.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Googling Nicholas Lea's name turned up an article where someone offers random speculation that Lea will be playing David Caine under an assumed name.

Now there is literally nothing to back this up and the article is quite obviously a shameless attempt to drum up pure hits based on speculation, but since it features a character I like, I'll allow it.

That being said, Lea's character is almost certainly going to be a secret assassin or other badass. He's way too handsome an actor to just be on Arrow without getting involved in a fight scene.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I specifically didn't link the article on the basis that it clearly had next to no fact or backing to it.

Personally I'd love it if David Caine was in the series, since it may eventually lead to an introduction of Lady Shiva and Cassandra Caine. And this would be awesome. And Caine at least has the fact that he's a named member and associate of the League of Assassins, so if they need to bring in another person from the organisation, he's a good name to drop.

That being said, this is Arrow. There is no way that Nicholas Lea has been hired on just going to be a political fixer or bodyguard.
Given the way Arrow has been done, Lee is going to be some like secret League of Assassins person put in, perhaps to strike at Merlyn if he shows up in Starling City again. Probably not Caine, but probably someone a part of the League.
Or he could be some badass ARGUS agent in deep cover.

As for the Green Lantern film, I maintain it's not a bad film. I firmly believe that a good film was being made by Martin Campell and/or by the writing staff. But that the film was hacked to pieces in the editing room. And frankly it wouldn't be the first film that got messed up in the editing room.

As for the League of Assassins/League of Shadow's debate, I always imagined that they were two parts of the same larger organisation. That the League of Shadows were the Spy side, the people who Ra's use to infiltrate legitimate organisations (governments, banks, companies) to achieve his goals. And the League of Assassins were the heavies, the people send in to kill very specific targets and built the reputation/money of the organisation.

Now I realise there is nothing to support this, but I think it's a fine way to expand the world building in the show.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Greg Berlanti: Bring me more Spartacus actors! I have more cool characters to introduce!

Mark Gughenhiem: We can't sir! There are no more left.

Greg Berlanti: Very well. Began gathering the cast of Prison Break!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Boogaleeboo posted:

It's all the same drug. Venom is a deritive of Miraclo. So really it's just variations of a theme, but the name screams Miraclo.

I'm wondering if this is going somewhere.

There is talk about doing an Hourman show. Granted the idea is Miraclo will be a thing that gives a person one random super power for one hour in a sort of mash up of Hourman and Dial H for Hero. But if they wanted to link them, they could just say that the Japanese Project stole Miraclo from Rex Taylor during World War 2, and crashed into that island. And then the Hourman show could follow Rex's grandson, Rick Taylor.

Drifter posted:

THAT'S why you think it sucks? Hahaha, oh you poor thing.

You want to know why Smallvile sucks compared to this.

Smallvile version of Slade Wilson: Let's just say the reaper can swing his sickle at me, but I'm beyond Death's stroke now

As compared to....ANYTHING Manu Bennett has done on Arrow.

'Nuff said.

As for this episode, loved it. I don't think I can fully explain my squeeling in any better terms than has already been done here. But is anyone else struck by how the Island plot seems to be entering....end game?

Like really when you look at what we know about the Island, something is going to have to happen to Sarah pretty soon to make Ollie think she's dead.*
Something is going to happen to Slade for Ollie to think HE'S Dead.
Ivo is going to have to die.

Like that alone means that we are going to run out of plot for Ollie to do on the island. (Though he has met his Russian Maffia man/ KGBeast on the boat, so he'll have to get to know him.)

My opinion always was that season 2 would end with Ollie leaving the Island, and probably going to Russia for a bit to train. But at the speed the Island plot is going, I think if they don't slow it down, they'll be done with the island plot in about 4-5 episodes.

*= I have to say that I didn't see the Shado/ Sarah scene playing out like that at all. I honestly thought that Ollie was going to put himself in front of Shado, and Ivo would still shoot her. That way the horrible thing that Ollie did that he couldn't talk to Detective Lance about would make sense.
"Yeah, your daughter did make it to the island, alive. But I was put in a sadistic situation and I chose the life of my island girlfriend over your daughters life. Ooops."

I also fully believe that no matter what Ollie did, Ivo would have shot Shado.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Dead Snoopy posted:

I still think that monestary/temple we spotted on the island's skyline during the start of the season could factor in.

You never know. It could be a reason for the return to the island.

(End of Season 3. Ollie is in a Russian Maffia bar, talking to an old man.)

Old Man: You know, they say there is a temple on an island in the Chinese Sea. It is old temple, to lots of old gods. They say if you bring a body to this temple and emerse body in holy liquids. That person will come back from the dead.

Ollie:... (pause as he thinks.) Son of a bitch!

(Leaves, goes back to the island for season 4 and 5. Get's stuck there...again.)

Actually something that I'm wondering, Yao Fai spoke about the island having crazy herbs with healing properties (and we saw that they could be used to cure poision and Vertigo in season 1.) Could those herbs grow on the island because some Miraku got into the water table of the island, and it's effected the local plant life?

(Also, Ollie ran out of those herbs midway through Season 1. I assume that when he went back to the island at the start of season 2, he stocked up on those herbs for his return to Starling City.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Sober posted:

What exactly were they doing again after Fyres? Were they just wandering around in the forest and trying to survive before running into Ivo's men? I'm sure he got in some training then.

Having unprotected sex with Shado. Lot's and lot's of unprotected sex with Shado.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I'm going to have to say I disagree with everyone else interpretation of the Count scene. This wasn't Ollie deciding to kill another person to stop him from committing future crimes. (Which incidentally, is pretty much murder. Something which comics traditionally have avoided having heroes do. Yes they will kill, but very rarely will they out and out murder someone.)

I saw the scene that as soon as Vertigo pushed Ollie with that taunt/ he saw him move, he kust reacted and shot him three times. I put it down to Ollie's super honed reflexes with a bit of comic book treatment of archery to indicate that "yeah shooting off three arrows like that is a response from him."

But if you look at the scene, afterwards Ollie appears a bit shocked and digussted by what he's done, but not the satisfied look of a man who has made a rational decision to kill. Rather, he loves/cares (depending on where you stand on the shipping debate) about Felicity that when she was threatened, this highly trained vigilante with some PTSD issues will just react badly.

Kind of like jumping in front of a paranoid boxer and shouting "Booga Booga!" and being surprised when he just floors you.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

So very briefly to mention something that is and isn't comic related and is and isn't Arrow related.

I was reading my normal bunch of comics this week and came across this little nugget in Forever Evil: Arkham War #4. (Synopsis, with Batman gone the Loonies at Arkham take over Gotham. Currently Bane wants to conquer the city. He realizes his normal brand of terror tactics don't work since the Arkhamites only fear one dude, the Batman. So Bane decides he has to take up the mantle of Batman to strike fear into them. And he recruits new Batman villain, Talon to act as his Robin.)

While Bane is running around doing his new Batman type thing, he runs into a thug who (I think) is drawn to look a lot like Manu Bennett as Slade Wilson.
Is it just me, or is there definetly a resemblance?

I mean, I assume it's a little nod by the artist to Arrow, and if so I thought the Goons here would appreciate it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

While this episode wasn't nearly as :allears: as previous episodes, it was good.
In particular that scene between Felicity and Ollie did make me go all doe eyed.
And I loved when Arrow and Detective Lance were talking on the roof top and the bomb went off in the background. That's the sort of comic type sequences that I want to see.
Also mega props to the stunt team, the motor bike chase sequence was kick rear end.

Little bits I spotted that no one has mentioned.

Officer Lance's badge number is DC 52.
The Hospital that Laurel was investigating is Saint Walker hospital. No doubt founded by DC's favourite Baseball looking alien and leader of the Blue Lantern Corp.
The website that Shrapnel posted at is called the Movement, just like the anti-authority comic that Gail Simone writes that no one reads.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

madstrike posted:

He also just posted this on FB:

Something really good is coming on this ep, it seems.

I fully believe/ hope that we will get some cool comic cameo.

And as for the Flash, I think the most we can hope for this season is that the season finale for Season 2 will feature Barry opening his eyes as one of the codas. That way it can be used to direct Arrows audience to Flash along with Season 3 of the show.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

WarLocke posted:

Holy poo poo Roy :suspense:

Also that car Roy is wrecking? It's red.

Just saying.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

omg chael crash posted:

Also, this came from Manu's Fbook:

Oh, Kate does have a weird doritio face thing, though.

That picture of Marv Wolfman doesn't look like an overjoyed creator. More like a terrified hostage who has tried to scribble "Send help! My creation has come to life and I don't know what he's going to do to me!" on the artwork, but is smiling so as to appease his captor.

But that is a seriously cool thing for Manu to do. Just like how Hugh Jackman always gave a shoutout to the creators of Wolverine.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I just watched the last episode last night, man that was so intense.

The scenes with Ollie and Slade in the mansion were just like a fantastic powder keg with two characters aware of the other secrets having to keep a lid on what's going on for the benefit of the bystanders who aren't in on the secrets. That is when the superhero/ secret Identity genre is at it's best. (Like the classic Spider-Man/Peter Parker vs Venom/Eddy Brock dynamic.) So I have to congratulate the shows writers and director for doing an awesome job with the episode.
I also have to say the plan to get on the boat was clever and well done. I think another show would have just gone with "and then our heroes swim oout to the ship or steal the henchemen's boat." This was something a bit above that.

Now for speculation on future episodes based solely on what we've seen.

1) Diggle getting knocked out. This confirms that Slade has more minions then just Brother Blood. I think it's also telling that we don't see who knocks out Diggle but from the brief glimpse it looked like a woman in in some kind of body armour.
It could be Huntress or a new character.

2) Mirakuru. The scene where they burned the boxes, it was obvious the drug wasn't going to be in them. But I do find it really interesting that Mirakuru has left the island (even if we've only see it go to the Amazo.)
Prior to this what we were told was all the stuff was destroyed on the island and the only source of it now is making a derivative from Slade's blood.
But now that we've seen it been brought to the boat (and we know people from the boat are going to somehow end up reaching the mainland) it's conceivable that some more Mirakuru is going to be at large in the Arrow world. (Hell Ivo's plot isn't over yet, he didn't get killed by Slade this episode. So I wouldn't be surprised if he steals some of the stuff to use on himself.)

Two other minor little things.

3) The details we see on the boat indicate the boat really is called the Amazo (going by the life buoys.) And not what I originally thought a ship called the Amazon, where the N was scrapped off by time.

4) I wonder who Ivo was talking to. I know it's probably a doctor for his wife, but it could be some connection with a larger organization. Like whoever was paying Fyers to blow up the Chinese airliners.

5) What was up with Slade saying he has no wife and children? I thought in Season 1 he said that him and Billy Wintergreen were godfathers to each other's kids? May have to rewatch S1 Island episodes.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Spergatory posted:

A horrifically bad actress is who he was talking to. Seriously, her delivery made me cringe. That was RE1 Jill Valentine levels of awkward and stilted. :geno:

The impression I got by the conversation was that she (Ivo's wife, Jessica) had some type of disease that effected her mind. Think something like Alzhimers or Dementia (which is why Ivo is looking for Mirakuru in the first place.)
In which case, her delivery is pretty apt.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

The thing is, is Waller really going to order a civilian airliner shot down killing hundreds of innocents? I know she is dark, and shadowy, but that seems like a bigger line to cross that she wouldn't do.

Yeah that's my problem with that.

Waller (and presumably ARGUS) are Government which can mean doing shady things, but that's more like "taking convicted criminals and having them run black ops" or "killing people who are actual threats to the free world."
I think "hiring a mercenary to commit terrorist acts and actively destabilize one of the worlds superpowers" seems like acting against America's interest.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

Also is married to Morpheus. Well actually is in real tol which is pretty cool.

(Checks Wiki.)
Interesting, didn't know that they were married in real life.

One thing I found hilarious, in one of the early episodes of Hannibal, there's a sequence where the FBI are conducting a raid on a hostage situation. And I swear to God, there's a quick half second/ second long sequence where Laurence Fishburn runs in with the FBI group and he completely changes his wardrobe to be full on black trench coat, shotgun and shades.
Basically he dresses up as Morpheus in super serious show, Hannibal.

I think Stephen Amell should follow suit and run around in the Arrow costume in a "Blink and you'll miss it" scene in whatever other TV show he appears in. Or funnier still, get Grant Gustin to do it in his Flash suit.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Axel Serenity posted:

In other DC news... motherfuckin Constantine! It's a little more up in the air for pickup being on NBC, but it could fit well with the kind of genre network they've become in recent years.

I think it looks great. He's got the smug down pat. Just needs some Lucky Strikes and scotch.

That does look awesome. But I think DC really need to give this show an iconic theme music to really catch with an audience.

And DC has a proven track record with giving Vertigo based licences the best possible theme songs.

And that is to make the songs theme a variation of Wild Thing by the Troggs.

"CON-STAN-TINE!
NU NU NU NU!
YOU ARE AMAZING!
NU NU NU NU!"

See, it's perfect.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=itQ89r7Trls

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I think he has to leave the island at some point for the reasons stated. (Plus I don't think you get to be made a member of the Russian maffia, if it's just you and another guy on an island. For a starters, where are they going to get the materials to make the tattoos?)

In addition, as interesting as "Ollie spends five years on a truly awful island" what is even more interesting would be "Ollie spends two years on a truly awful island, goes to Russia....and then has to go back to the island." That's a mystery in itself.

As for the Question, I think using Renne Montoya suddenly got a whole lot more complicated if this Gotham show goes ahead, as there's a fairly good chance she could be a regular character on that show.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Interesting.

Spoiler from the you tube clip.
Deadshot has a load of pictures of one child in his cell. I'm guessing that they are going with the angle that he has a daughter.

Double Secret Spoiler based on the You Tube clip AND speculation from comic knowledge.
In the comics, his daughter was called Zoe and from Star city. She appeared in the second Deadshot mini series.
Let's just hope they aren't going to include with what happened to Floyd's firstborn child. :(

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

An interview about the upcoming episode.

http://www.greenarrowtv.com/could-we-see-the-original-birds-of-prey-on-arrow-or-a-spin-off/16661

The idea that they would love to have Justin Hartly (Oliver Queen from Smallvile) play the movie version of Oliver Queen in a dramatised version of what happened to him on the Island is so brillinatly meta in so many ways. It must be done!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I have to say, I love how Barry gets a flash of red energy/lightning behind his eye before he takes off running in that clip. It's just a little touch, but it's a real nice, impressive one.

Incidentally here's an interview with Mark Guginheim where he talks about Arrow Season 3.

http://www.greenarrowtv.com/marc-guggenheim-talks-possible-dc-character-restrictions-for-arrow/17885

The most interesting line is this.

quote:

Then, on an episode or arc basis, we’ll go to DC and say, ‘Can we use this character?’ Or, we’ll go, ‘Hey, we have a character like this, is there a DC character that fits that mold?’ Sometimes they say ‘yes,’ sometimes they say ‘no.’ Sometimes they say we can use one character but not another. There’s one character in Season Three that we couldn’t get, but DC proposed a better character. It just goes hand-in-hand.

I now anticipate that the Season 3 of Arrow thread will feature a full speculation about which DC Character we COULD have gotten but got a different one instead. This speculation will occur EVERYTIME a new character is introduced in Season 3.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Deadpool posted:

Obviously we're going to have to have a Prison Break reunion between Stormare and Knepper at some point.

Hmm, season 2 ended with Ollie building a PRISON on the island to house super criminals. Criminals like the cast of SPARTICUS.
I get the feeling that more PRISONERS will end up on this ARENA of a jail as the season continues.

Confirmed: The season 3 final will be Wentworth Millar as Psimon orchestrating a mass break out, and Ollie will have to fight the cast of Prison Break AND Spartacus.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

With Silas Weir Mitchell as Mallah.

We could get Silas as Gizmo.
Dominic Purcell as Mamoth.
Sarah Wayne Callies as Shimmer.
I'm not sure who we can get to be Jinx in our Prison Break based Fearsome Five.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

hcreight posted:

Mark Sheppard isn't really how I visualize Ras, but he'd be intriguing. Dude stole every scene he was in in BSG.

My friends and I had an ongoing joke in that Mark Sheppard's character in BSG, was just him playing Daredevil.
(He plays an Irish-American lawyer who laughs off death threats. And he pretends to be blind for a bit.)

So maybe he wants to play as a comic super villain.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

If that leaked pilot for that Wonder Woman show a couple years back was any indication, I hope they never make a Wonder Woman show.

Because every show should be judged on the strength of their pilot.

That was the thing that annoyed me about the Wonder Woman TV show and how it was treated. Sure the pilot was probably really bad (I confess, I never watched it but the notion of doing WW with more of a comedic bent didn't out and out offend me like it did others.) but every show is capable of improving.
Like the one comment that stuck with me (apart from people praying to Hera for the show to fail. Actual prayers to a comic goddess.) was people said that they would rather have the show fail and never get made then see anything less than perfect be made. Because apparently Wonder Woman is such a special IP that it can't survive having a bad property made attached to the Wonder Woman name.

Oh well, enough of this. So, now that Ollie is poor (or at least Rich Man poor) in Season 3, I think the only thing he can do to earn money back will be to sell his story about what happened to him on the Island.

Que cameo by the Smallville Green Arrow, Justin Heartly, to play the film version of Ollie.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

VDay posted:

Most shows can, in fact, be judged based on the strength of their pilot. The amount of shows that drastically improve after a rough start isn't anywhere near the number of shows that start off mediocre/bad and continue for a season before being cancelled. The WW pilot wasn't a case of a bunch of comic book nerds being overly critical, it was a case of the pilot being so embarrassingly awful that people were glad that it died before getting off the ground so that a terrible half-season of a bad show wouldn't ruin some future chance of seeing WW in something that might at least potentially be good.

I could list a bunch of shows that had really poorly done pilots to try and refute that point. (Though to be fair, the Wonder Woman pilot wasn't even the fully finished one. It was still a work in progress I believe.)

Instead, I'll just say this. It's been over 3 years since that Wonder Woman TV show wasn't made. We still don't have a Wonder Woman movie or Amazon type TV show to replace it.
The theory that "a bad Wonder Woman show hurts Wonder Woman's brand" isn't there. Refusing to make a "bad" Wonder Woman show just results in there being no Wonder Woman show, full stop. By all means try and strive for it to be the best that it can be.
But just remember that you don't get to trade on artistic cred for a better show. You just have nothing.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

incredible bear posted:

What's going on with casting at the moment? Nothing from Spartacus OR Prison Break. I want Liam McIntyre as Nega-Arrow dammit!

Well they've taken Abruzzie for Count Vertigo II and Wentworth Miller for Captain Cold.
BTW, how awesome would it be if they decide to cast Dominic Purcell as Heat Wave?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

The Question IRL posted:

Well they've taken Abruzzie for Count Vertigo II and Wentworth Miller for Captain Cold.
BTW, how awesome would it be if they decide to cast Dominic Purcell as Heat Wave?

Boom, I called this! I am so happy at this news!

• Locked thread