Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Drifter posted:

Haha. Arrow is so far above Coulson's Agents of SHIELD in terms of writing and characterization. Sure, they're both based off of comics, but there's no competition.

They both have plenty of flaws, but Arrow has had the chance to spend a season dialing those down. Arrow has a tendency to be bogged down in CW soapy drama. Laurel's really bringing the show down, and that stupid Sarah might be alive subplot was terrible and went nowhere. Its approach to reinventing some characters and toning them down can be a bit annoying (I liked the Royal Flush Gang but the Count was kind of dull) though it looks like it's going to stop with that with The Flash.

SHIELD has this frustrating tendency to do these really annoying quips every other line. It does not take the less is more approach and will shove a "joke" or "witty" banter when it's completely inappropriate or just plain not funny. And its status as a tie in series means it's just doing really boring C-grade stories that won't really use any Marvel universe elements for worldbuilding out of fear that said material will be covered in the movies instead. It's stuck in a state of never having any real consequence and just being a mild filler show.

Arrow's overall the far better show because when it isn't being a soapy drama it's actually a really cool vigilante series with fun island escapades on top whereas SHIELD isn't really anything other than a snark fodder with C-listers and original characters, but that doesn't mean SHIELD can't improve to the same level, it's only been 3 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

her comic book counterpart is one of the coolest characters around

Good thing we're still getting her without her being tied down to Laurel.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Eddain posted:

Now that China White has seen Diggle twice wouldn't she become suspicious of the Emerald Archer's secret identity?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsjWtszp9t4

Ignore the South Park bits, this was the only clip from that episode of The Wire without major spoilers. But you get the point.

AFoolAndHisMoney fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 17, 2013

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I'd rather Diggle made his own identity.

He's one of the most likeable characters on the show and surprising in just how interesting he became- I think he can stand on his own without needing to crib someone else's title. Plus he's in the comics now, where Roy has taken Arsenal instead.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I think what really caught me off guard is that I just expected this to be a generic villain of the week episode. Some random dude who will be all smug and then get Arrow'd while a bunch of soapy stuff happens in the background. I did not expect this week's villain to be as creepy and have as dominating a presence as he did. Was not expecting a lot of great character moments between Ollie and Lance, fast tracking Laurel's arc quickly rather than drawing it out over a season and I drat sure wasn't execting this many :tviv: moments.

This episode and this show should not kick as much rear end as it does.

At this rate I can't wait for what they do with The Flash.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Mooseontheloose posted:

It does say a lot about Batman that Gotham is corrupt but the only thing he does is punch people and not use any of his VAST wealth to try to help the city or advocate for people.

There are token mentions of philanthropy and sometimes he'll give a Bruce Wayne business card to some punks on the street and tell them they'd have better opportunities there (somehow no one really catches onto that).

But he doesn't actively pursue it or it isn't the focus of an arc or anything like with Ollie.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Ingram posted:

From Stephen Amell's Facebook:

Glad to see I'm not the only person who really liked the episode with the royal flush gang. It's the first episode to have the seeds of Ollie becoming a hero and I love that the first thing Ollie does when finding out about a family of bank robbers is try to offer the father a job.

That's a really nice gesture that speaks louder than any crazy trick arrows.

Of course I'm still hyped for all the awesome fight scenes in league of Assassins.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

If there's one thing I'm disappointed about with this episode its Al Owal dying so quickly, I would've liked seeing the guy who trained Merlyn to be a much more recurring character

Otherwise that was pretty awesome.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

VDay posted:

A rope arrow followed by Ollie flying out of the TV and past the seat. If only you could make something that recognizable with the 10 pixels you'd have to work with.

This was the best I could do, I had to slow it down slightly just to make it visible and even then I'm not sure how apparent it is.

I also considered one where the TV was replaced by Black Canary shrieking at the viewer but that'll have to wait for another day.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

omg chael crash posted:

I'm a little bummed she's leaving the city for a bit, their scenes together are usually pretty excellent.

We'll get her in the island flashbacks at least.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Coq au Nandos posted:

Yeah, Laurel's never really clicked with me. A big part of it is because the actor's so rubbish but I also have a problem with the stuff she's given to work with. You'd think there'd be a lot of interesting lawyering to be done on this show but with Laurel it's all soap opera love/sex/daddy/love/grief/drink/drugs stupidity. Just give her a meaty plot line!

As a Lawyer, Laurel's work would need to involve digging up the dirt on the perps and nailing them in court, but the show's focus is purely on beating up the criminals and handing them to the authorities/killing them so the bulk of her work is sidelined by nature. And since most of the villains are one and dones for the episodes Laurel can't even use her lawyering skills for a seasonal arc either. Putting Laurel onto the Moira Queen case would've been a smart move as it would give her a main plot line but instead it just puts her at odds with the main cast, as if she doesn't have enough reasons to be at odds with them.

By nature her career is too unimportant in the show's structure to be an actual thing. And as a result she's basically just relegated to being part of the soapy plotlines instead. Thea used to be just as annoying for the same reason until she got paired off with Roy and Roy ended up having some cool vigilante plotlines to keep the two of them busy.

I honestly don't know how Laurel can be worked into vigilante plotlines without just making her Black Canary and dropping Sarah (which I, like many others, really don't want).

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I'm pretty sure the show is moving at real time and Ollie was just gone for the gap in real time between S1 and S2 (around 3 months).

IIRC the showrunners said that was their reasoning for why Season 2 didn't pick up immediately after season 1.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Grant Gustin is 23, and Barry was around 23 when he started out as the Flash (in the new 52 anyway, I think he's like late 20s currently and he started out 'five years ago'). On top of that I think I read that he's just an intern when Ollie first meets him in this show and he won't become a proper police scientist/forensic scientist until a bit later so I think it checks out fine.

AFoolAndHisMoney fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Nov 12, 2013

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Rhyno posted:

I'm hopeful but if Geoff Johns ever writes an episode (and you know he will) it's going to involed Barry going to lightspeed and entering the Speed Force.

He's already writing the pilot and he has a role on writing the Barry Allen 2 parter in Arrow. But I suspect the stakes will be kept reasonably low and he won't hit light speed until a couple of seasons in or whatever.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Rhyno posted:

I was unaware that Johns was writing any Arrow episodes (ugh) and the news that he is fills me with dread. His Smallville episodes are all terrible. I wonder how long it will take him to insert his dead sister into the Arrow universe.

He already wrote Dead to Rights (the episode where Deadshot is hired to kill Merlyn) and it was one of the better episodes of the series.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Um...What's going on?

Seriously does anyone even understand the myth arc here? Brother Blood, League of Assassins, Merlyn who's the actual villain here and how is this show going to juggle this many subplots together?

EDIT: Oh and Isabel Rochev too.

I'm so confused by this twist.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Also now the early episodes where Thea seemed like she was into Tommy is now really weird.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I just found out there's no Arrow next week after this bombshell.

What am I going to do for 2 weeks :cry:

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Barry in that clip is such a dork, I love it. He's like a male Felicity. I'm pretty excited to see where he goes from here.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

hcreight posted:

Oliver never moves his arms when he's in his civvies.

I figured that the actor was just constantly sore from all his Salmon ladder workouts that he just couldn't move his arms if he didn't have to.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Does the fact that Ra's didn't know Merlyn was still alive basically confirm he wasn't Lazarus Pitted and just faked his death really well?

And man I can't wait for next week, this week has been great and Barry has just been really likeable right off the bat.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Modern Slade is almost perfect.

Arrow has really nailed both Deathstroke and Merlyn, and even Blood might turn out an interesting character after all.

It's also pulling off some of the crazier poo poo really well.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Krad posted:

Screw it, just link them both together and make it an official part of the 52 Earths from the comics.

Your move, Marvel. :smug:

Man of Steel is already part of the 52 Earths judging by one of Zod's lines (I think it was ON A FAAARRMM?!) popping up while Vibe is traveling across the multiverse.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

jscolon2.0 posted:

It was the really disgusting jug-eared guy from Girls. I'd rather see Lena Dunham play Power Girl, than him as Nightwing.

You're mixing up your rumours (hard to blame considering how many ridiculous rumours there have been for Superman/Batman, Arrow and the Flash) but the Arrow related Nightwing thing was Steven McQueen tweeting a picture of himself working out with a nightwing symbol on his singlet.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I seriously can't wait for the next League of Assassins episode. I hope Nyssa sticks around for a lot longer than Al Owal. That guy was a really interesting antagonist and it was a shame he died so soon.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Bad Moon posted:

Bennet/Barrowman team up Season 3 :getin:

Slade and Ollie get into a big epic fight in the Season 3 finale. Suddenly Ollie is pierced by an arrow. It's black.

"You didn't think you could defeat The Arrow on your own did you?"

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

omg chael crash posted:

Anyone have a screen cap of Slade's new getup?

He is beyond Death's stroke now

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

King of Solomon posted:

This is loving badass, but man I can't get over that extra dark part of the black half. It's probably just a quirk of the lighting, but it looks super weird.

It's just an indentation where a slot for an eye should be, so yeah, basically a quirk with the lighting it should look awesome in motion.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Hollismason posted:

This episode wasn't as super exciting as the cliffhanger, but it had a decent enough plot and am I wrong and that guy is a established DC villian? The Bomb guy?

Did not see the end coming at all, that's going to be super intersting.

The bomb guy is meant to be Shrapnel who's power is exploding and reforming himself after, obviously a pretty different take but it'll do for a one off villain of the week.

I have to say over all I'm pretty happy with how Arrow is handling the episodic vs serial format. We get a villain of the week plot with each episode but it's always in a way that builds towards the ongoing season arc.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Hollismason posted:

I may have missed it but did anyone pick up on her dad mentioning he "lost" his painkillers. Obviously part of the Laurel pill plot but at least subtle.

If you pause and look closely at Laurel's pill box it's got Quentin's name on it too.

They did something similar when Roy was trading a box of champagne bottles for information and later Thea was yelling at her delivery guy over a missing box.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Oh no Felicity got shot in the shoulder :ohdear:

It's a good thing she still has another shoulder

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Salmon Ladder: Year One.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

The most frustrating thing about that whole subplot is that it involved fridging Shado herself.

Shado has some pretty interesting mythology in the comics, particularly in the current comics run and killing her off before setting all that up is a really frustrating way to dismiss what could've been a really fascinating with great backstory who could've opened up the scope of the setting even further to include more east asian mystical kung fu action.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I know Diggle just got his episode but did he have to drop into the background again so quickly? I think he had like...one line?

He used to be a really important character and it's not like he's been outmoded by all the others or anything, he held his own pretty well against Sara in the clock king episode- so I don't get why he's being ignored so much in the main plot.

Ollie's a dick to Roy and all that Roy/Thea melodrama can go to hell.

Huntress episodes have a tendency to be terrible and I have to say this was pretty lacking as well after the past 4-5 episodes. Next week's looks kickass though, can't wait to be slayed.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I...I think we just got slayed.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Moira went out great, I think in general her character was pretty interesting and her darker aspects only made her work even better aside from some clunkiness here and there. Plus Thea has to find out after an event like this and the less family secret dramas the better the show gets.

I'm glad to see Slayed is not messing around.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That was my first guess but her reaction was too much for only knowing Slade through second hand accounts.

Surely second hand accounts are the scariest of all.

Also you're forgetting that Slade was presumably a badass ASIS operative at some point before so he probably had quite a rap sheet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Well at least they got one thing about her right.

Murder Woman is the kind of crap that terrible writers do.

Diana's whole deal is being the Ambassador of Peace which guys like Perez ran with and Azz has been doing the whole "Diana defeats her enemies and makes them allies" routine.

Part of her creation involved Marston believing that women needed role models that didn't just resort to violence all the time like men and reformed their enemies through love.

Thinking Diana goes around killing all her enemies because she's a 'warrior' misses the whole goddamn point of the character.

• Locked thread