Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Is there anywhere to watch that Season 1 recap that CW apparently aired? Can't find any mention of it online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Wolvorine posted:

Oh definitely, and if they had fallen even 2 floors I most likely would have rolled with it without thinking. I don't know, maybe it's just because I'm severely acrophobic, so I spent a lot of time when I was younger thinking about things like the stability of glass in tall buildings.

I normally do too, that was why it made me sad when somethng -- Anything -- managed to crack my suspension of disbelief. Dude, the Rope Arrow I am completely down with. Like I said above, I think it was just something I spent too much time in my youth thinking too much about for me to not notice.

I just checked again to make sure, and they fell like 6 floors.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

WarLocke posted:

Oh man, that premiere.

Last season Ollie had to learn to be human again. Now he has to learn to be a hero.

It's a great direction to go not just for his growth as a person, but for his growth in fighting ability, too. It's a lot easier to fight bad dudes if you're willing to fight on their level and just smoke them. He's gonna have to step up his game if he's gonna go up against criminals without killing them while they're trying to murder him right in the face. If only he had a bunch of sidekicks or hot vigilante girls to back him up...

(hmm, I just realized Felicity is basically Oracle. And I'm okay with that)

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

zoux posted:

There's a great B:TAS episode where Batman gets put on trial by the Arkham inmates who try to prove that he is actually the catalyst for all the super-crime in Gotham.

So basically Laurel's operating with about the same level of rationality as your typical Arkham inmate? :haw:

Actually I got nothing against Laurel. I don't mind some soap in my supershow. And even if she is acting kinda crazy that doesn't reflect poorly on her, anyone would go a little crazy in that situation. Oliver's response wasn't much better.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Warmachine posted:

This is one of the things that I feel is a 'necessary weasel' of the superhero genre, and my suspension of disbelief is hard to break because of it. It's one of those things where I think if you needed to show the characters putting on special effects makeup each time they wanted to go out in public/hero about, you'd lose a lot of the magic of the hero with a secret identity.

Another big factor is just the pragmatic storytelling problems created by covering up the actor's faces. It really hurts their ability to convey emotion, and makes it harder for viewers to connect with them as a human. You see the same thing with soldier characters that clearly should be wearing helmets. Hell, often all the rest of the soldiers will be properly covered, but the Main Characters aren't.

No reason for this discrepancy is given and no one acknowledges it; it actually makes more sense to just believe that everyone actually is wearing helmets/goggles/masks/etc, and you just can't see them for the sake of the medium. Just like when foreign characters are shown speaking English instead of their native tongue. You can kinda think of it like a special effect, like when they show Tony Stark's face under the helmet in the Iron Man movies.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Oct 14, 2013

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

By the way, was it just me or when Moria showed up in Prison, I was convinced that she was looking ripped (particularly in the arms.)

Yeah, I noticed this too, I remember because I thought "oh hey maybe we'll finally see her abs this season".

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

bbf2 posted:

I believe what they said was that Malcolm Merlyn was dead but the Dark Archer isn't necessarily dead. So basically he can't go back to his public persona since he's like the #1 most wanted terrorist but he himself most likely survived and might continue to do Dark Archer things.

That would sorta make sense since it would give Ollie a reason to want to be differentiated as the GREEN Arrow.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

And as brought up before, who says she has to own up to reality in the face of a devastating tragedy? Especially after you consider her character: middle class upbringing, close enough to wealth to be a girlfriend of Ollie's, became a defense attorney for the underprivileged in opposition to her father's role as a cop. This is a textbook case of White Privilege Liberal; she knows that there are struggles she never had to face, and she genuinely wants to help those who are less fortunate. Unfortunately, she jumps into it without a full appreciation of what she already has. However noble her intentions, her work with the non-profit was always going to be a little bit selfish because she needed to define herself by it. So Laurel didn't stay behind because she was "stupid"; she stayed to preserve the proof that she was ever alive, not realizing that doing the work to begin with was proof enough.

A character like hers would absolutely buy into the romantic notion of a vigilante -- a literal Robin Hood figure, natch -- that helped the same class of people she was trying to help. A character like hers would absolutely overreact at the first crack in that notion, and she would NEVER be able to admit, on her own, that it may have been a little bit her fault, or even that life just sucks and Tommy (sorry for this) couldn't make his saving throw. (Comic-to-show stuff follows, hope this isn't too obnoxious.) If the staff does intend to eventually make Laurel the Black Canary, I wouldn't be surprised if the road ahead involves a MASSIVE reality check visited on her by the current BC, or even just a further variation on her quixotic characterization.

Another thing to consider... when the slums were all but destroyed, everything was at its worst, and the city (and Laurel) needed the vigilante the most, and Laurel started doubting him... he then completely disappeared for - weeks? months? - and gave those doubts plenty of time to fester. Yeah, Laurel's still being irrational, but it's another little bit of insight as to why.

Also, that rant she went on about how the Hood was more concerned with selfish vengeance than with actually helping people? She's kinda 100% right about that. Yeah, he's changing now, but she doesn't have the benefit of knowing any of that. I'd give her a couple more episodes to come around before condemning her.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Stormagetiton posted:

See but it's not just her being an idiot about this stuff. Starling City's taking the whole Undertaking out on Oliver too, and for that matter if Moira hadn't come forward, then a ton more people would be dead (and she'd probably be free). Like I realize it's a comic-book trope, but it's really annoying to watch.

Welcome to public opinion. People are dumb and not good at figuring out who to blame for social problems. That's not really the fault of the show. People would absolutely blame Oliver Queen for the sins of his mother in the real world.

Anyway, it's not like everyone blames Ollie. For all we know, there's a Roy Harper for every Laurel Lance. Also keep in mind that a big part of the reason people are against Ollie is 'cause that Alderman is agitating against him, and he's probably evil or something. (come on, his name is "Blood")

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Error 404 posted:

Yep, they've been free with all kinds of changes to powers/backstory so far. The only actual requirement for "The Flash" is that he's a dude who moves really fast. No need for speed force, or lightspeed/time travel stuff.

As long as he's not literally making pants out of GOES FAST, then I think it will be less silly than something like a handcuff arrow or a zipline arrow. :irony:

I also wouldn't be surprised to see a massive tone down of his speed. Even if he was just fast enough to dodge a bullet, it'd be enough to make for a very interesting character & story. Hell, even if he was just, like, five or ten times as fast as a normal dude it'd be enough, really - you don't need to be able to dodge bullets if you can just move out of the way as soon as they point a gun at you.

Eddain posted:

The particle accelerator being built in Central City will be done around Christmas.

That line really made me laugh, they may as well have said "And look out for our new show Flash, coming to CW Q1 2014! TV NOW"

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

The only tie to Man of Steel or Smallville I'd be up for is bringing on Michael Rosenbaum or John Glover as business rivals/enemies for Ollie. The Luthors were the best part of the show.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

etalian posted:

It's still pretty much the dream geek girl trope similar to Kaylee from Firefly.

One thing that they've done well how they changed the relationship between "geek girl" and the hero, though. Chloe was constantly pining for Clark in a teen drama plot thread that would never be able to go anywhere. With Felicity, they're practically mocking that trope. (unless she eventually does fall for him so lets all hope that never happens)

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Kruller posted:

Her name is in the book, episode 1 season 1. She'll be a villain.

I think the faux-antagonist call is spot on. True, her name is in the book, but that's a great opportunity for some conflict about his motivations, and whether he really wants to take down every name on the list. Ollie's shown he's all for taking down non-list people that do deserve it, but I don't think he's ever chosen not to pardon a list person that doesn't deserve punishment.

And just because I like wild baseless speculation, then she'll turn out to be Raven because we already have the Blood connection.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

ded posted:

It's not the lame excuses, it's the fact she has magic powers of can-do-anything. Shes Kara Thrace only shorter and better looking.

What exactly was her position before? If she a high enough position in their tech department, it'd be a little more believable. You make a good point, though. Have they had her doing random non-computer stuff this season like that? I feel like they've done a better job reigning that in this season now that they've got a handle on exactly what her role is.

(also I loved the flimsy excuses. Even Ollie knew they were flimsy, and he knew Felicity didn't buy them, he just didn't even give a care 'cause he's a badass like that.)

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

VDay posted:

Nah it was a giant, red temple-looking building, and seemed pretty obviously CGI'ed in. I'm really surprised neither Ollie nor Slade went "Hey what the hell is that giant budhist temple over there?" but instead kept panning to the boat. I'm assuming they'll come back to it later, or maybe they just wanted to give the island some more mystery or something.

I don't see what the problem is. They've been on the island quite a while, especially Slade. Why are you so dead-sure that in all that time, they've never surveyed the area from a high point before? It's probably the first thing they did. Slade & Ollie didn't mention it because they already know the area.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

VDay posted:

It's not a problem, but it's a bit curious that they would suddenly show us (the viewers) this mysterious-looking building without saying anything or even acknowledging it. Just seemed odd, that's all.

Fair enough! It does make sense that if they went to the trouble of CG-ing it in there's a good chance they'll return to it. Either that or it's just a random abandoned building for character. Most shows wouldn't go that far just for atmosphere, so good on them if that's the case.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

There's more than one way to save this city. :unsmigghh:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Dexo posted:

Actor who played Laurel's mom who believed that Sarah was still alive.

That did seem really off - this is normally a pretty tightly plotted show, it would have been weird for them to spend that much time on something that was a total dead-end.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Great episode. So it looks like Sarah somehow got recruited as Oliver's torturer by the Amazo people? That's interesting, and it might explain Oliver's line at the end about "if your family knew how I thought you really died, they'd never speak to me again".

Who wants to bet that Ollie ends up killing her himself? Possibly just a mercy killing, but still, it would pretty well explain why he completely never mentioned this to anyone.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Azhais posted:

Did River Song ever even do anything other than smugly say "Spoilers!"?

To her credit, her first act when when given access to a time machine was to immediately try to go kill Hitler.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

I suspect this season will be all about Brother Blood and Rochev, with the league of assassins remaining in the background of Sarah's plot arc, and as a bit of a cocktease. I suspect they're being set up to be a big thing next season.

So then, taking this show's pacing into account, what you're saying is that Ollie will have defeated Ra's and replaced him as head of the league by midseason?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

TheChad posted:

Laurel would make a terrible Black Canary and I really hope they don't go in that direction. Ollie and (apparently) Sarah spent five years going through hell to get where they are and as a viewer it makes sense. I don't mind Laurel being portrayed as surprisingly badass for a regular person (because her father probably taught her self defense) but I'd prefer they don't push it very hard.

She would make a terrible one, but that's not necessarily a problem. I like the idea another goon mentioned that you could actually acknowledge that, and play her development for drama. We've seen a bunch of people that have already been turned into badasses, but we've yet to see anyone go through that process. Theoretically it could make for good storytelling. Yeah, so far Laurel has dragged down the show pretty often, but maybe that doesn't have to be the case. Sometimes actors/characters just need to be given the right role.

If I can take an example from Revolution, Charlie kinda sucked on the first season - both the character and the actress - for many of the same reasons as Laurel. But they've developed/revamped her character into someone that fits the harsh tone of the show way better and it's been markedly better.

Maybe if Laurel had something to focus on other than her own personal drama, we'd get a similar improvement.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 2, 2013

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Hollis posted:

I really like the new intro voice over explaining why he stopped killing.

Flashback time!

Really like Amells fake hair.

It's quite good, isn't it? Especially after watching the Once Upon A Time franchise and the truly horrifying wigs they use on those two shows. loving hell, it's like they shop for costumes at the halloween discount isle. Arrow deserves a lot of credit for the hair/make-up/costuming work they do. Black Canary's face-modifying domino mask was a pretty great touch, and Felicity's always got some great outfits. (well, that powergirl-esque boob-window top in the commercial thing was weird but other than that)

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Phylodox posted:

She has a kind of Renee Zellweger "My lips are always pursed, like I just tasted a lemon" thing going.

It was really bothering me in her first couple episodes, like constant Blue Steel, but she seems to have toned it way down. Hardly even noticed it this week. Dunno if we should credit that to her or the directors, but either way, very happy to see.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Oh, Oliver, falling for the same trick twice? You didn't learn anything from Shado's dad, eh? Fun to watch his slow, slow progress.

How's Ollie's Russian? As someone who knows almost nothing about the language it sounds cool to me, but I'm sure it's far from perfect. Is it at least, like, not terrible? Glau supposedly has a good Russian accent, though it doesn't look like they're giving her a lot of chance to use it.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

I don't have any inherent problem with Felicity and Ollie. They could be a fun couple. The problem to me is that it they're never gonna stay together, so it just seems kinda pointless, especially if that messes up the great non-romantic relationship they currently (previously?) have.

Eddain posted:

Very curious about his threat during the attempted double-cross, maybe he name-dropped someone big in the Russian mob (or maybe he has some fame in the mob)?

I doubt it's anything interesting; we're probably better off not knowing. We're not supposed to know what was said, and we're supposed to let out imaginations run wild to fill in the blanks ourselves. Same trick as when Batman whispers something to a criminal that makes him break down and spill all his secrets.

Sometimes it's worth looking up what people are saying when it's not subtitled, but it's rare. If the viewer needed to know what was being said, it'd have subtitles. 9 out of 10 times when you look up untranslated dialog, it's completely mundane, "oh, that's pretty much exactly what I figured they were saying" fare. It's intentionally written so that you get what's happening even if you don't understand the dialog.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 14, 2013

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Dantes posted:

Why would the chinese research a weapon for the japanese during WW2 ?

EDIT:

Probably miraculu. Japanese add a "u" sound often when they pick words from other languages.

This is correct. It'd be spelled different but yeah, he was saying miraculu which is just a loan word originally coming from miracle.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Huh. I could have sworn I heard Barrowman say "isn't".

I thought it meant Moira had been lying to him about Thea as a way to protect her family.

Yeah, it almost sounded like that to me too, but that didn't make sense in context, it just sounded weird.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

evenworse username posted:

I also liked that when Arrow decides to take someone out, he takes them right the gently caress out.

Triple arrows to the chest, ooof.

Triple arrows to the chest out the window of a skyscraper, no less. And Ollie still goes over to check and make sure he got him, respect for that.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

VBane posted:

Okay. this surprised me.

Episode Synopsis for the December 11th episode "Three Ghosts"

For those unaware Cyrus Gold is the name Solomon Grundy went by before he died. He's the guy that survived Blood's treatment this week.

I knew it I knew it I knew it. Man, I didn't wanna get my hopes up just because of what could easily have been a simple coincidence, but I should have known better than that. Man, these writers. :allears:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Jesus christ that was loving incredible. Ghost Slade was glorious. Deathstroke is going to ratchet this show up to an entire new level of amazing.

Also, I almost feel like apologizing to the writers. I, too, doubted the "Felicity likes Ollie" story thread. I thought it made sense and was fine to watch, but it just seemed pointless. "How could this go anywhere?", I thought. But all along, the point wasn't to set up fruitless Ollie/Felicity romance at all! It was just to give Felicity some more depth for herself, and to set up a slightly more interesting romance story between her and Barry Allen! Arrow writers, you do have my best interests at heart, after all! I will never doubt you again.

On that note, while I was a bit iffy on the idea of super-Roy Harper, gently caress it, I'm gonna trust the show. There's no reason that a plotline like that can't be interesting - and in fact, with the way Roy is set up right now, I think it's actually a great direction to take him.

I guess the one sticking point was that Slade's new look was jarring, but I'll get used it it, they'll show how he transitioned to that appearance, and they'll get better at making it look good, and I'm sure it'll be fine.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 12, 2013

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

"Hey other comic book shows, sorry we make you all look bad."

I was planning on watching Arrow first, then the new Agents of SHIELD episode. I quickly decided I wasn't gonna do that. There is no way that, after finishing THAT EPISODE of Arrow, that a show like SHIELD could even compare. Now I need something to cleanse my palate, or SHIELD is gonna look so bad by comparison that I think I may never watch it again.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

That Tommy cameo really was great, everything about it. He was great, it was such an intense scene, Oliver finally let go of some of his Tommy-guilt, everything.

Hollismason posted:

The fact that Slade isn't known about is even better. The final reveal of him being alive to Oliver is going to be amazing.

I really hope they use the same "What's wrong kid, you look like you've seen a ghost?" :unsmigghh: like for extra pants-making GBS threads.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Another thing Arrow needs massive props for is that they actually had multiple scientists with different specialties. Many shows just have "Smart Person Character", and they can do anything from hack into a government mainframe, to doing genetic sequencing, to repairing a jet engine. In some ways this is a dumb show, sure, but it's a smart dumb show.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Well the League of Assassins are in play and Canary somehow mysteriously joined them after "dying" in front of Oliver.

Okay so official antagonist count

Brother Blood
Slade Wilson
League of Assassins
Solomon Grundy
Malcom Merlyn

Am I missing any?

Triad with China White and various mercenaries like Bronze Tiger. Also HIVE. Also Amanda Waller and ARGUS.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Spergatory posted:

There's a way to do both-- to have cool and clearly impossible stuff while still keeping a relatively grounded feel for the show. It's what the show is doing right now. Seriously, my entire point boils down to "The Arrow team is great and should continue their successful strategies for making compelling television. :)"

Solomon Grundy is the perfect example of this. As presented, he was a super duper whooper impossible character with cool super-science powers. That said, he was still massively more grounded than his comic-book version. They took a wild character and presented him in a grounded way. Also, by starting with a relatively realistic version, they even laid the groundwork to introduce a slightly more comic-book esque Grundy later down the road - like they did with Deadshot.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they do this for Flash and his villains. It makes the pacing feel better (to most), and it's also just fun to watch things progressing, characters gaining new powers & abilities, etc. I wanna watch Barry get in a tight spot and need to vibrate through a wall, or do those cool arm spinny tornado things, or push himself to go faster than he's even gone fast before.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Torrannor posted:

I did a quick reading about Grundy. At the moment Arrow has neither Grundy nor the Flash. There is a guy whose face was melted by some acids, and a guy who was hit by lightning. They have laid the groundwork, but they could just as well never use their super-powered side (using them on the Flash show), or only use toned down versions or only use them rarely in crossover episodes.

You do remember that Cyrus Gold was tearing apart 6-inch thick titanium doors with his bare hands, right? You're probably right that they'll keep the Arrow show less super-powered, but the ship has sailed on keeping it super-power free.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

You better hope that they don't introduce Hal then:

:haw:

All the talk about Flash being more grounded at first and the build the meta aspect is kind of hard at this point going by Barry's story about his mom's muderderer (granted, that was a really subtle nod than only comicbook fans will get) since that confirmed Zoom's excitence in the Arrowverse.

True, but he doesn't have to be a time-traveler from the year 3000 or whatever. He could just be another speedster.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Error 404 posted:

Oh man, if they did anything like this, I could only hope they just go for it and like, cast Jensen Ackles as batman or something. He jumps in, kicks rear end, says like 1 line max (I think Ackles can pull off a bat growl) and then boom, bat lines out of the shot.

It would be, I think, the right amount of silly, and I think this show could pull it off.

He was pretty good as Jason Todd; I think he could pull it off.

I wouldn't want Batman to show up and just to totally upstage Ollie, though. Arrow's just as badass as anyone. :colbert:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

GOT VIRUS FROM MP3 posted:

Ollie is still very green(lol pun) I think he could use someone to aspire to that the audience KNOWS will never end up being a bad guy like Slade. Or not, like I said before, anything the writers choose will be great.

drat, I've got no response to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

McSpanky posted:

If you just watched some clips on youtube without the context I can see how you'd come to that conclusion but like Warmachine said, it's pretty obvious what actually happened. The city was wrecked by Zod's forces before Superman ever showed up and their fight took place almost entirely in the wrecked zone, and at all times he was fighting the people who did the destroying.

Also I think it was known that the aliens said they were gonna kill Earth unless Superman gave himself up, which he then voluntarily did. Everyone did fear Superman, like that poster said, before he saved the day.

• Locked thread