Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
Splash Star was one of the last seasons I started watching, precisely because it looked like a carbon copy of the first one. However, it turned out to be better than the original in almost every way. It ended up being my second favorite after Heartcatch.

As for Dokidoki, I also thought it was pretty meh at first, but it's begun to grow on me. I especially enjoy episodes with Sebastian in them.

In fact, every season other than Heartcatch and the original has taken a while for me to start appreciating it. I absolutely hated Suite when it first started, but it ended up being one of the better ones by the end. It seems like they've been taking longer and longer to get good recently, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Oh, there was one season that didn't get better for me as it went along. 5GoGo is easily my least favorite out of the 10.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
The whole taking care of a mysterious magical baby deal doesn't really bug me. It's pretty much exactly the same situation as in the second season of Ojamajo Doremi. Anyway, this week's episode focuses on Raquel instead, which makes me happy. I was worried that his transformation was going to be completely forgotten.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
This episode was delightfully silly. Ban-kun returning as a carrot farmer was a highlight, but my favorite part had to be when the girls rushed into a greenhouse to do their transformation sequence.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
It's pretty easy to look at Splash Star as a remake of Futari wa Precure, Smile as a remake of Yes! Precure 5, and even DokiDoki as a remake of Fresh. So you'd think the next season to get a treatment like that would be Heartcatch, or maybe Suite, right?

Well according to the rumors going around now, 2014's Precure series will be a sequel to Smile. Making it essentially a remake of 5GoGo.

I really like Smile's characters, but I still think I'd prefer a sequel to Splash Star if that's the route they're taking.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Episode 40 tries to dip into Macross territory.

Also, winged forms already? Aren't those usually reserved for the final boss? Unless that's what Regina is...

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Halfway through is about when I started actually enjoying Dokidoki.

41 was suitably ridiculous. I wish Reina and her space-turboprop could become another sidekick like Sebastian.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Cure Princess's name is literally Snow White.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
I would watch that.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
I approve of Heartcatch version 2.

I wonder if it can continue the trend of making me like it better as the season goes on, though.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Word has it that Doremi has a second subtitle track for those that don't like too much localization.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!

aers posted:

Notably we already had one entire episode (7) that was outsourced completely to Toei Phils, Toei's Philippines branch that usually only handles inbetweens and the grunt work, not key animation.

Oh, is that what Toei Phils stands for? Whenever I saw it in the credits I thought it meant Toei Philharmonic.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Aaand once again the villain is related to the last Cure. Although they're switching it up slightly the 4th time with a sister instead of a father.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Happiness Charge still has victims of the week, they're just not always the focus of the episode, just like in Doki Doki. This allows the show to focus on the heroes more, but it also makes it so that the conflict seems to come out of left field sometimes.

Phantom is the analogue of Dark Precure. That doesn't guarantee a compelling backstory, but it makes me optimistic.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Of course; you're saying that because Masuko Miyo was in it.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
So Masuko's been in three episodes of Happiness Charge now. That's more appearances than she had in all of 5GoGo, isn't it?

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Are you referring to Hime and Megumi, or to Blue and Phantom?

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
I don't think having that many piercings would really interfere with one's hearing all that much.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!

Potsticker posted:

Toei hasn't had money for precure for at least the last two seasons. Or animators or whatever. There was some speculation that Sailor Moon was the reason, but obviously that doesn't seem to be the case. Happiness Charge has had some really terribly animated episodes, but overall it's a good, fun show.

「And Cure Princess is the best Sailor Moon.」

Yellow is always the best Cure, and Lemonade is still the best Yellow.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
I'm really glad she doesn't sing that song every single episode.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
I've been slowly making my way through the movies, and just got to New Stage 1. That was the best All-stars movie so far, and may have even been better than the Suite movie.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Their new outfits in the new ending are all exactly the same, with all four colors on each of them. I wonder if this means some sort of fusion power is coming.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!

wateyad posted:

I'm guessing it's the Super Silhouette equivalent and they're all the same because the staff don't want the show to look lazy when a ton of generic precures we've never met before get drawn wearing it at some point during the inevitable multi-part finale.

That makes a lot of sense, actually. It never occurred to me that the international cures might have a role in the finale at all.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
I'm surprised Aloha Precure got their own transformation sequence.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Is Phantom the Go-yan of this season?

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Or is he the 5th Precure? Their combo attack had 5 glowing symbol on the mirror, and one of them was red.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
It was the most art-house episode of Precure I've ever seen.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
The Happiness Charge movie has Masuko Miyo in it.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!

Hrist posted:

And then Honey showed up and that horrible, way too long and super boring song was the dropping point (especially since I hear it happens often).

Cure Honey's song is only in 3 episodes and then another one some time later, so it didn't bug me nearly as much as it could have. The group attack starts to involve singing at around episode 39, though, and despite the sudden jump in quality at 43 they're still using it every episode.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Happiness Charge broke the cardinal rule of Precure attacks: you can tell if it's going to work by the music that's playing.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!

aers posted:

Oh and the other issue is that all their main CG guys are working on movies right now (Precure Allstars & Dragonball Z) so they gave GoPri stuff to the newbies.

I thought the new ending was a step back toward the uncanny valley compared to what we've been getting the last few years. I guess this explains why.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
It seems like the best fight animation always happens when it's one on one.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
In this week's episode, Haruka gets Yuri powers.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!

AlternateNu posted:

Never watched a single episode of any Pretty Cure show. Did see this, though. Thought you might enjoy it.

Almost all of the footage from that is in the first three All-stars movies; you could knock those out in an afternoon.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
I didn't really start enjoying Smile or Dokidoki until about halfway through, so you might want to give those a few more episodes.

Happiness Charge started off as the second coming of Heartcatch, but it had a lackluster second half.

Go Princess has been pretty good so far.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Heartcatch and HapiCha are the only two that have Putty-type enemies (Sunacky and Choiaku). There are a lot of other similarities too.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!

Caithness posted:

Aaand once again the villain is related to the last Cure. Although they're switching it up slightly the 4th time with a sister instead of a father.

Okay, I was wrong about this last year, but I'm pretty sure it actually is the case again this time.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
I'll give her at least one more episode before passing judgement, but so far Towa seems pretty lacking in personality compared to Setsuna or Ellen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
I wonder if Kanata will be upset when he finds out his real violin has been replaced with a toy violin.

• Locked thread