Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Yawgmoft posted:

Steaks and chuck roasts, steaks for thirty minutes at 131-134 and chuck roasts at 131 for two days.

And do they all come out tasting bad? Do they all come out smelling weird? or just the roasts?

30 minutes is not long enough for any off flavors unless the meat is spending an inordinate amount of time outside of the sous vide bath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

esperantinc posted:

and you HAVE to use a phone to control it

You don't actually.

E: never mind completely misread that statement, thought it was about the anova itself.

deimos fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 24, 2015

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Mr. Wookums posted:

The one thing I love at a home kitchen is being the only person who can "see" how a device is operating. I'm sure Chefs do as well.

Ooops, completely missed that post and misread his response.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

dalstrs posted:

I think it is a design flaw in the current stick machines. If it is going to sit above steaming water the top part should have some sort of water resistance to protect against it.

It's the delicate balance between keeping the electronics cool and keeping condensation out without using ugly/expensive heatsinks.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

That looks similar to mine, are you sure you're sitting the shroud completely in it's place?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

I have a circulating setup and a still setup. I prefer the circulating setup because it heats up the food faster, but one advantage of the still one is that there's no turbulence to beat up delicate items. On long term cooks (2 days or more) the white label paint that's on foodsaver bags starts coming off due to the constantly moving water, mucking up the inside of the circulator.

That's at least not a problem on the Anova (anovae? Anovaii?), if you don't want circulation remove the bottom, if you want less circulation aim it directly behind itself against the wall.

The reason I prefer my Anova to the demi I got rid of is counter footprint for most usages. I usually just use a smaller cambro for my usual two servings (it can fit up to 5 smaller servings for when I meal prep) and it has about half the footprint of a demi.

If I need more volume (for yoghurt for example) I grab my larger cambro.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Sportman posted:

What size is your "smaller" cambro? I've been using a 12 quart stockpot (with a plastic wrap / foil cover for longer cooks) and I think its time to step up my puddle game. Usually I am only cooking for 2 people, so I'd like to get the smallest thing practical.

It's reads 7.3qt at the bottom so I guess it's an 8qt one. Honestly could be even smaller.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Hello do you have a minute to talk about the church of TS8000 and how to let propane into your life?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, it's a thick chop basically. 65C for 90 mins is what I would do, I think.

2" requires 2hr @ 65 to pasteurize...

Personally I'd do 2:30 @ 60 if I was in a hurry or 5hr @ 55 if not.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

My Lodge is bare cast on the edge but I think it has a coating because it hasn't rusted yet.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

They don't need to pasteurize it unless they're doing something weird. North American pork basically has no issues with trichinosis anymore.

It would be a bigger deal if they were storing it lots after or something like that.

I just... What?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

It also requires quick chilling to be safe otherwise the food will coast through the danger zone again.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

The Midniter posted:

In the modernist cuisine recipe, do you need to sterilize the mason jars beforehand, like you would if you were canning something? That recipe looks dead easy and I want to try it.

What 248°F for 2h isn't enough sterilization for you?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Anyone use SV for meal prepping? Do you do individual bags or just a big bag?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Dane posted:

When doing steaks, how long in advance would you say I can s+p & bag without curing the meat? I'm buying a large hunk o' beef and portioning it into steaks.

Don't S+P in the bag if it's going to be stored for any amount of time. I don't salt meats in the bag when doing SV unless I am cooking it right away. Never pepper, I do that after the sear.

This is strictly based on my own experience and not proof incontrovertible that it's the one true way, I don't want to start a religious war.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Tortolia posted:

I'm actually going to be doing a bunch of steak for a potluck next week. I figure I will pre-sear, puddle, then ice bath the day before. That way on the day of I can just bring my anova in, bring the meat back up to temperature, season, then slice and serve.

Any issues doing it this way assuming I keep everything refrigerated prior to reheating? The only other option I can think of is just trying to finish it the morning of, sear then and bring it into the office but I think it would be difficult to keep it warmed sufficiently during the drive in.

Torch finish them at the potluck and look like a badassnerd.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

bonds0097 posted:

54 C is in the danger zone. Seems like a bad idea to hold something below 131 F (55 C) for more than an hour or two.

http://www.foodsafetymagazine.com/magazine-archive1/februarymarch-2004/the-danger-zone-reevaluated/

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Which has this table:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

anova-de4fs7eb

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

What's the go-to circulator for restaurants now a days? I see units from Vollrath, Fusionchef, Polyscience, etc at the high end but am not sure what their track record is.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

thegoat posted:

Polyscience

Which line?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Use a upside-down collander, everybody.

It's metal and will be heavy enough to keep any food down.

It has holes so you don't have to worry about filling it with water or whether there will be an air bubble in it.

The holes also let water circulate in and out for better temperature consistency.

When it's upside down it's the perfect shape for holding onto foods and keeping them from sliding out from underneath.

Collapsible Steam basket superiority!

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I think he recommended turning it frequently, maybe every minute. I think it was Kenji who got it down to 20 seconds.

Heston had a video about it ages ago.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

FishBulb posted:

I want some shrimp

But I have to take my kids to gymnastics tonight.

Better idea, sous vide shrimp before I go, reheat it when I get back or put it in the puddle right as I leave with a timer on

Not sure how it would work with something delicate like shrimp I don't want to over cook it

Shrimp takes like 15-20 minutes, I would bag and keep in the fridge, timer the water to temp do them when you get home (as in open front door, go to kitchen, drop bag... do rest of poo poo you do when you get home, it'll be done by the time you're ready to eat).

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Methylcellulose F50!

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

cyxx posted:

Are those the kind of jars you would need to suck the air out of? And are those lids reusable? (I feel like the little seal will wear out eventually)

The seal becomes unusable after a few cannings, but it's the heat that does most of the damage, so if you're just vacuuming they last a while. They are pretty cheap to replace though (and you can get non-split lids also in plastic or metal).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Sextro posted:

Maybe its because I never had an app so I didn't keep as close watch on my temps, but is it normal for (in an 8 qt stainless stockpot as a vessel) the temperature to swing +/-1.5ish degrees from your set temp? Just watching it try to settle at 167 it'll slowly inch up to 166.4 before jumping to 168.5 then as it steadily drops back towards 167 it'll jump again this time down to as low as 165.5. Is that just too small of a vessel to hold a temperature steady? This is with nothing in it, just preheating the water.

Is it an Anova? Is your temp probe dirty?