Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Food safety question.

I cooked some steaks at 140 for 8 hours, and then promptly ice bathed them.

Unfortunately I forgot to put them away in the fridge after patting them dry. So they've been sitting out the entire night, but still sealed in their vac bags.

Are they safe? Or should I just pitch them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Chemmy posted:

Why did you cook a steak for 8h at 140F? What cut was it?

A small chuck roast I'd sliced into steaks to mess around with. Anyhow, the chuck got chucked.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Chemmy posted:

Well you already own it so I doubt you'd buy another one. Aside from the obvious that you admitted there are better cheaper options notice the corroded heat spreader plate. The plate is aluminum and literally eats itself.

How long did that take to start happening? I've had mine for half a year and have yet to see that occur yet.

What's the story with using butter on sous vide? I've seen articles saying it was a bad idea, as ultimately it ended up leeching more flavor out of the meat. But I still see many recipes where people are adding butter. I understand in Chemmy's case the flavour leech was fine as it ended up in the noodles. But in other cases, like with steak, does the loss of flavors get compensated by the flavor the butter adds?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Chemmy posted:

It happens instantly. I had the first one replaced under warranty when I lived in CT.

I used the new one after moving to CA and it does the same thing. It's the Demi, not the full size and I think it electrolytically corrodes.

I'm counting down the days until my Sansaire arrives.

Sorry, forgot to specify I have a Demi as well, guess I dodged a bullet.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Who wants smart phone controlled sous vide machines that can also refrigerate? Cause here they come.

http://cookmellow.com/meet-mellow/

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

I was too, I'm wondering if that bodes well for it's build quality.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Jeoh posted:

Cancel your order and order the discounted version?

He probably used kickstarter so that isn't an option.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Ultimate Mango posted:

And of course now that the Anova Precision Cooker kickstarter is pretty much done they launch a new one for The WiFi model. Anyone want two precision cookers?

Link? I went looking and only see the one the just finished still.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Sacred Cow posted:

Thats pretty tempting. I was just looking at a Souse Vide Supreme Demi referb for $150. Does anyone have an opinion on the SVS Demi? I've borrowed my sisters Avona before but having something the size of a rice cooker I keep on the counter is pretty appealing.

I have a Demi and I'll eventually get an Anova or a similar circulator. It's not that the Demi is bad, it's just that the circulators are almost always better. Only reason I have a Demi is because at the time the cheapest comparable circulator was like $250 more. More reasons for circulator over Demi:

1. Demi isn't really that small, it takes up about as much space as my stand mixer.
2. Possible corrosion issue of the bottom removable grill (Though I have yet to encounter this)
3. The circulators, at least the Anova, are much more consistent in their temperature control. Anova is +/- 0.01, Demi is -2.4.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

How do you pronounce mi-cuit? me-sweet?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Ultimate Mango posted:

Posts like this make me almost regret having the OG MC set, which lacks tamale goodness. Though even the home version probably requires putting the corn through a centrifuge or pacojet and uses carrageenan to thicken the masa.

Why would you think that? One of the purposes of the home version was to provide methods that would be within reasonable reach of a home cook. i.e. Not use equipment that costs thousands of dollars. That was what the original giant set of MC books was for.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Where's MY searzall, you jerks :mad:

Srsly :mad: Plz die all your searzall havers.

But seriously, crossing my fingers for an Amazon email today. There will be much steak making for the next week once it arrives.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

fuckwolf posted:

Searzalls are available for order on Amazon now.

That kinda irks me. I still haven't seen an email, and given Prime I would probably receive a Searzall faster if I ordered it from Amazon now.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah, they were listing units for sale that had already been promised to backers apparently. GG amazon.

Read the message again, it was the excess stock being sold. Not the already paid for kickstarter/shopstarter units. Whether intentional or by accident, it wouldn't have impacted backers getting their units. Just pissed people off, which it did.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Foodahn posted:

It is pretty cool that amazon got the excess stock before the people who actually funded the thing.

Yeah that is kind of expected seeing how Amazon is the one handling the actual shipment of the Searzalls to backers.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

That's the thinnest, most defined crust I've seen on a steak.

Maybe buttering or oiling up the surface would help distribute heat and caramelize the crust?

Possibly? I'm wondering if it's just a matter of getting used to how a searzall applies the heat.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Whoop, received my Searzall. Can't wait to get home, set it up, and play.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Ultimate Mango posted:

Anyone else with a Searzall have their outer screen start to bow out when seasoning? Mine bowed out maybe a quarter inch when hot and ended up about an eighth inch bowed out after it cooled.

Also my adapter seems to be a bit off, made it hard to get the searzall head perfectly aligned with with angle of the torch...

Probably par for course, you can see a bowing on one of the one's Booker and Dax use in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcn2nlgP_a8

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I'm sure he would too. I'm also sure he would get kicked out for using it

Bet you he's already done it just to see if he could.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

Oh my god. I'm making the Modernist Cuisine Pommes Puree. These taste like mashed butter. 40% butter by weight. :eyepop:

40% butter and 25% heavy cream, jeebus.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

deimos posted:

Heston had a video about it ages ago.

Here's the video for anyone interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhOV89EQtJs

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Epiphyte posted:

Thanks for the searing advice, the butter really makes the crust come together super fast.

I do notice that my steaks come out of the vacuum bag already grey/brown on the outside. Is this just the oxygen left in the bag reacting with the meat?

Nope, its the exact opposite. The grey is because there is so little oxygen in the bag. The redness comes for myogoblin reactions with oxygen. If you took a steak you just puddled and let it sit in the open air, it would start turning red in like ~15 minutes.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

Sweet home says the Joule is better than the Anova except that it completely lacks any sort of manual controls and needs to use the app for everything (which is fine by me)? Is this accurate?

Pretty much. But really the only question you should be asking yourself is how much do you want physical controls vs. how much do you want a device small enough to fit in a kitchen drawer. Yes the Joule has other advantages, but I don't think any of them are really worth the loss of physical controls.

I really wanted a compact device, so I went with the Joule. I'm happy to have freed up some shelf space and am fine taking the risk that one day ChefSteps may go out of business and/or the app stops working.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Ultimate Mango posted:

Tell me more...

Add rice and water to rice cooker as normal, then toss in some diced up chinese bacon or sausage and set it to cook normally. Once rice is done mix it up, maybe add some additional seasonings to it as well. (Soy sauce, minced garlic, sliced up scallions, etc)

Other things that I've seen added:
-Yams
-Tomatoes
-Ground or diced up walnuts
-Chicken/beef/vegetable stock in place of water
-Diced veggies
-Garlic
-Sesame Oil

Honestly you can pretty much do whatever you want.

Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_9QImcJmSg

.Z. fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 31, 2017

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Norns posted:

My butcher had pork belly for 2 bucks a lb so I loaded up.

I've only done pork belly at 170 for 10 hours and then torched. Ended up like a nice braised belly.

Have any of you had good luck with other times and temps?

Probably going to bag the first batch with some black garlic soy and mirin marinade.

Cook some at 145 for 8-48 hours. Ice bath, slice, and pan fry for delicious crispy, tender pork belly. Works better when slices are thicker.

(I'm just restating what you do for bacon sous vide http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/11/overnight-sous-vide-bacon-recipe.html)

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Sevryn posted:

My brother and I have been tapped to tackle a Christmas dinner for the family this year, unfortunately there's a very slim chance I'll actually be off work so I want to make sure we've done as much prep as possible so that my slightly less culinary-inclined sibling won't have any issues day of. Gonna break down, brine, and puddle a couple of turkeys, but I'm wondering what the best methods would be for searing up right before dinner. Pan searing all those pieces individual will get messy and time consuming, is blasting them in a 500 degree oven enough to get that skin nice and crispy without drying out the rest of the meat? Has anyone tried one of those air fryers, how do those work with sous vide proteins?

I second swickle's suggestion of cooking the skin separately.
I used the recipe that Epiphyte mentioned and it was great.

Epiphyte posted:

I did Kenji's sous vide breast recipe this year and was fantastic. 1/10th the effort of the turchetta recipe and drat near as good. I added some sage and rosemary into the bag as well

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/11/sous-vide-turkey-breast-crispy-skin-recipe-thanksgiving.html

For the legs I followed the chefsteps recipe: https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/crispy-tender-confit-turkey-legs
I deboned the legs before they went under the broiler and sliced them up afterwards.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

I believe swickles is suggesting to loosen the skin, not cook it separately.

swickles posted:

Yes, this.

Whoops, what I get for quickly scanning through posts.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

ShaneB posted:

Got an Anova from my wife for xmas and my mother in law had a beefy vacuum sealer she wasn't using that is now mine as well. Time to seal and boil some poo poo.

Besides ribeyes, what are some go-to's I should cook immediately?

Salmon Mi-Cuit : https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/salmon-mi-cuit
Fish in general: 122F for 40 minutes
Glazed Carrots: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/06/sous-vide-glazed-carrots-recipe.html
Short Ribs: https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/bomb-braised-short-ribs

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Does anyone have suggestions on a vacuum chamber sealer to buy? Whatever Vacmaster fits my budget?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

No idea but I remember someone saying to get the oil free kind because they are lower maintenance I believe.

Ultimate Mango posted:

I have the VP120 and it is all kinds of awesome. The lid is plastic but it’s held up for I think nearly ten years now. Zero maintenance so far.

Cool thanks for the info. Will take a look at the VP120.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I got the Anova chamber vac and it definitely crushes stuff like sausages less than my foodsaver, but I’m going to have to keep the foodsaver around for really big stuff given the pretty small chamber

gonna make some quick pickles this weekend with it!

It’ll be a little awkward, but you can use a chamber vac like a foodsaver for larger items.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS2jFbx67-k