Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Tweek posted:

What is the cheapest I'd be looking at to build my own immersion circulator, what parts would I need, and would it require a soldering iron?

Am I correct in assuming I could acquire an acuarium pump, salvage a heating element from a thriftstore crockpot, and I suppose have to buy a PID of some form?

drat... it's sounding like it'll be cheaper to just buy one and I ain't gots dat kind o' money at present :(.
Not really people have been building those kinds of things since before PIDs became common.
Actually the simplest variant is a controller that switches a hotplate on or off, depending on the temperature of a feeler in the pot. If +-5° is good enough for you you can build this for pretty cheap, most of which will be the case and the power relay. But the last time I helped build something like this we probable paid less then 20 DM for the parts..
So you might have to ask the electronics thread for details. Generally a lot will depend on what kind of temperature feeler you use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

What is the advantage in cooking a whole chicken(or meat in general) part and then slicing it afterward? For example in that chicken salad.
It feels like with sv you should be able to cut the stuff beforehand without losing anything and making it cook faster.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

LoonyLeif posted:

I hope to try SV some day soon, just wondering if it's possible to do a nice, big pork shoulder for pulled pork? What about a whole chicken? Seems like what most of you are doing is thinner cuts of meat, so I've gotta ask if I'm truly off base here
I regularly SV boneless pork shoulders. My recipe is based on a Bavarian pork roast, not on pulled pork. It works great.
You just need large enough bags. And I do think that SV is not well suited for Bone-in meats.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

So I finally bought a real immersion circulator when it was on sale.

What is the easiest way to cover a normal pot with that circulator inserted, to prevent excess evaporation? I have been using a normal lid for my ghetto setup.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Sentient Data posted:

I bought the rubbermaid container and the $10 silicone lid, I had 0 noticeable evaporation after 24h of cooking
I am not in the US. Those lids cost 30€, minimum.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

So, I decided to do the first really long sous-vide session with my new Anova.
The cheap offbrand ziplock bag started dissolving after around 20 hours. The bag itself seems tight, but the writing on the outside flaked off. Now my water and circulator are full of paint flake.
Really annoying.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I think sous vide is just unsuited for making a traditional soft boiled egg. Because the white needs a different temperature then the yolk. The true modernist way would be to separate them, cook them separately and then combine them.
And dropping them into a boil after precooking them has only disadvantages compared to just steaming them with a timer.

Here are some nice demonstrations on how not to cook eggs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQHBuedABOo
And peeling:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIIe4A-cpC4

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

If your sv recipe has a maximum cooking time, you are doing it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I have an old Anova and the wifi sucks. By sucks I mean that it refuses to work with my wifi.
Because it is incompatible with all security features that modern wifi has.
After some time of trying to get it to work I contacted support and found out it can only connect to wifi if your wifi password is less then 7 characters long.
I ended up using only the buttons and bluetooth modes.
But, if you want to use it over wifi you probably should spring for the expensive option, and still prepare to be disappointed.