Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirRobin
Mar 2, 2002

Heran Bago posted:

There are special tapes or gums you can use so you that can stab a thermometer right through the bag. This could be nice if you're some kind of scientist with a probe thermometer.

http://www.sousvidecooking.org/tag/external-probe/

I'm no kind of scientist but I have one of these. It's cheap, accurate and I can wander anywhere in the house and monitor the temperature of my food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirRobin
Mar 2, 2002

Anova have updated their store. 220 volt versions are available - non-USAians rejoice! Time to order me one!

Safety Dance posted:

I don't have an ice maker, so I stuck them in the freezer...

Somewhere at home I have a recipe for making ice with a freezer. Should I post it for you?

SirRobin
Mar 2, 2002

My Anova has arrived! And my week is so busy it probably won't get used before the weekend... then I think it'll be 63 degree eggs for breakfast and steak for dinner. Or ribs. So many things to choose from.

SirRobin
Mar 2, 2002

mcbrite posted:

Just ordered an Anovo to Germany, hopefully the plug will fit...
My Anova shipped to Australia with an Australian standard plug on its cord so you'll probably be fine.

SirRobin
Mar 2, 2002

My Anova was ordered in late November and arrived in Melbourne Australia about 9 days later.

SirRobin
Mar 2, 2002

Drive By posted:

Upside-down dogcake should not be attempted anywhere outside Australia.
Well I am most definitely inside Australia and ready to attempt it. Should I sear the dogcake before or after turning it upside-down?

SirRobin
Mar 2, 2002

Duck breast. Lightly dusted with 5-spice powder. 2.5 hours at 55C. A couple of minutes skin-down on a hot skillet. Sauce of orange juice, Cointreau, sugar and stock reduced until thick enough. Pretty loving awesome. Makes me question quite a bit of the eating I did on my recent French vacation.

SirRobin
Mar 2, 2002

Casu Marzu posted:

This isn't holding temp as well as I hoped. Suggestions for next time?

Plug it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirRobin
Mar 2, 2002

Norns posted:

I mean ones widely available on the internet and the other is a really old loving cookbook that most new cooks probably aren't going to look at even if it is an amazing book

I call it The Old Testament (McGee's On Food and Cooking is the new.)

As for salt, I usually use Maldon as my go-to salt and I still have to dial it back a bit in some of Kenji's recipes. They're not too salty to eat but they're often saltier than I'd like.