Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

deimos posted:

I also feel this should be somewhere in the OP, it's from egullet, someone testing to see if a suckling pig could be SV'd on a bathtub:

lol

I am going to send this photo right now in an otherwise blank email to my recently wed wife with subj: YOU KNEW WHAT YOU WERE GETTING IN TO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I know the OP says 'go on ebay' for cheap bags, but could anyone point me to some tried and tested brands/sellers? running out of my foodsaver ones, and don't wanna pay a billion dollars when I can get the same thing for a reasonable price.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
after a couple weeks of using my anova, the high points are :

a. eggs. it sucks you still have to quick poach a 62.5 degree egg to set the white, but the eggs are phenomenal. I did a dozen 62.5's and my wife and I ate them all in like 4 days. it's cool to just have like eggs you know are already cooked perfectly onhand. it's like, making a steak? why not drop a 62.5 degree egg in the frying pan at the last second to go with? done.

b. vegetables - it's nice to be able to perfectly cook a ton of vegetables really precisely with minimal cleanup. I blanched a mess of asparagus the other night, took ten minutes, everything was seasoned perfectly, and I could drop them all in an icewater bath to set the color without messing up any flavors or getting them watery.

c. meat - it's set it and forget it. it's so awesome to be able to cook off a protein, drop it in an icewater bath, then just set it in the fridge for searing off later. it made confit so amazingly simple, which keeps for months.

d. bulk - I haven't used it for this yet, but I think it'll come really in handy when I throw dinner parties. getting 15 duck breasts cooked exactly right is usually a challenge. with a circulator, gently caress, I barely have to lift a finger

e. mess - it's wasteful to cook poo poo in plastic bags, but goddamn does it make cleanup easy...

flavors are not that much different though. I feel like you need a vacuum chamber sealer to really do the cool stuff like 'compressed' fruit and all that. but ohwell, I don't mind.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mons Hubris posted:

Sorry but could you elaborate on these just a bit? How do you store and reheat the the 62.5 degree eggs to keep the texture right? And I guess really the same question for the vegetables and the meat. I have mainly been using my Anova to cook cuts of meat, but I would love to get more mileage out of it by doing some things like this in bulk.

wookums already answered this, but just dunk everything in an ice bath after cooking. then to fridge.

If you cook something to doneness, you have at least a day or two window to cook it off before having to worry about spoilage, so just pre-sousvide everything, rapidly chill it, pop it in your fridge, then sear/deepfry/whatever for a minute or so before serving.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

wheez the roux posted:

as much as i hate the term "vizzle" at least it doesn't make me want to punch someone in their dumb face the way any given instance of the word "puddling" or "puddled" does

I don't know, they are both pretty loving dumb. I think only trumped by 'wifey' or 'hubby' on the goddamn loving internet god christ almighty why are people so loving =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-erga p;['; ugh I want to destroy my monitor

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I don't understand why it's so complicated. you cook something 'en sous vide' right?

the verb is 'to cook'

in common parlance you leave off the verb and just describe the more specific method in which you cooked something - ala "I sous vide'd some poo poo" in place of saying "I cooked something en sous vide"?

I'm probably missing something

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
so I'm on board with 62.5deg eggs. how long are these things technically safe to keep around in the fridge? I tossed some that were three weeks old today, but wasn't sure if I was being silly or not.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
You may ask why we established the company i the UK while we live in other places? The reason is simple: UK is a business friendly country and close to our markets. Almost everything, except for quality and manufacturing control in China, are done with computers anyway. We have our legal address and book keeping in the UK. Mansell & Co, Bishop's Stortford, is our accountant. It's close to the airport with Ryan Air also. Our bank is Handelsbanken, Bishop's Stortford. It has proven to be a very practical arrangement.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm really annoyed at "chefsteps". all their teaser recipes are overly complicated bullshit trying to modernize cooking 101.

like, why the gently caress would you sousvide an egg at a temperature where time mattered (and which couldn't easily be reheated?) why not just poach an egg at that point, or why not poach off a perfect 62.5 deg egg like the rest of sane people, if you're set on sousvide?

they posted an idiotic 'easiest garlic confit!!!' recipe a couple weeks ago that made me unsubscribe from their e-mails. I literally don't know what is easier than garlic confit - get some aluminum foil, stick a head of garlic in, add a dash of olive oil and salt, seal it up and roast in an oven for 30-45 minutes. I do it literally in 10 seconds as an afterthought any time I'm roasting a chicken or something.

their recipe - "so easy!! done in 45 seconds!!" was to take a head of garlic, cut off the top, season it, get a perfectly sized microwave safe bowl, place it cut side down in the bowl, add oil, and then microwave, for 45........................................................... MINUTES.

what the gently caress

so naturally the comment thread was full of people going 'uhhh I thought you said it would be done in 45 seconds, is minutes actually right???' or 'I microwaved garlic for 45 minutes and now I have burnt ashes and my kitchen smells like poo poo. or "I microwaved for 45 seconds like the recipe says and all I have is raw garlic??"

lol apparently they wanted you to microwave on low for 45 minutes but A. my microwave won't even do that, B. how the gently caress is that easier than just sticking an aluminum foil pouch in the oven, C. gently caress you for saying 'done in 45 seconds'. D. who the gently caress microwaves anything at all for 45 minutes???

gently caress "chefsteps." more like "cookingnub steps to try and impress the girlfriend you'll never get because you're a pathetic gently caress who buys immersion circulators and cooks recipies out of the french laundry cookbook instead of actually learning some basic technique."

ok I'm done sorry

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wookums posted:

To be fair to the eggs, any SV egg has time as a variable. Yolks will keep on changing after whatever temp they start to change given time.

http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/easiest-ever-roasted-garlic lololol

that's actually pretty hilarious, hadn't seen that. maybe my seething disgust somehow leaked through the internets into their corporate office.

still though, it was a loving embarrassing recipe, but at least they know how to admit a mistake. still not resubscribing to their poo poo though...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

cyxx posted:

Since I don't usually have clarified butter handy, I usually sear one side with oil, and when it's time to flip I drop some butter in there and baste it with a spoon until the other side is done searing

this is the correct answer

caramelized milk solids taste nutty and delicious, I wouldn't use clarified butter unless I had a really good reason - like trying to match some indian flavor profile in a dish that didn't involve browned butter or whatever. start with neutral oil, get your presentation sear, flip, knob of butter in, and baste for the flavor win.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
help me goons, you're my only hope

I have lamb breast in my puddle machine. all of the internet says sousvide for 20h at 60 deg c.

I only have 3 hours. I want this to work. current plan is to do it 3 hours at 75c, throw it on the grill, and see what happens. any advice? should I go higher still? 80c?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

toplitzin posted:

I think you're right on at 75/167 since you're going for connective breakdown in a short time.

Edit: Isn't it a super fatty cut?

it's not super duper fatty. the piece I had was bone in, and around the ribs there was a lot of fat- but I boned it out and trimmed that up a bit. now it's kinda like skirt steak, but with a thin pork-belly-esque fat cap in places. never cooked it before, but have eaten it in some restaurants and was super good. hoping it will cook up a little like bacon.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
crosspost but, it worked out

3 hours @ 75c + 30 minutes slow charrin + glazin on the grill.

sliced it thin on the bias like I would skirt steak, and it was plenty tender. not falling apart or anything, but "fork tender" I guess. v. tasty.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
why would you sousvide scrambled eggs :(

my braindome hurts

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I don't need to justify my expensive purchase

here's the breakdown of what I use my anova for

50% : confit of duck, rabbit, pork
25%: cooking temperature sensitive meats (steak, duck breast, chicken, chops) to the right temperature
15% : cooking next level veg
10% : cooking 60deg eggs

0 % : cooking puddings/scrambled eggs/ whatever

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
sousvide mashed potatoes is literally the dumbest food thing I have heard of this year

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SubG posted:

They're using about as much curing salt for a rack of ribs as you'd put on like 5 pounds of bacon. To simulate a smoke ring.

It's a dumb, dumb thing. I mean to each his own or whatever. But lol.

lol, I missed this, but now this is officially the second dumbest food thing I have heard of this year.

goddamnit sousvide thread, wtf?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

BrianBoitano posted:

Ugh well it's in Juneau AK so the catering companies are very limited and SV makes everything child's play rite :v:

don't ever mix business and family

unless you're literally doing nothing but cook for your brother's wedding (read: not drinking with him, not part of the ceremony, basically you wouldn't otherwise attend but to cook this dumb food), don't even consider it.

also if I cooked 60 perfect portions of salmon for 60 people sousvide, 30 of them would send it back for being undercooked so....

....there's that

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

blarzgh posted:

I needed it done quick (30 minutes, instead of an hour), and I wanted to see how it came out.

Verdict: excellent. better than sending it straight to the grill. It firmed up the meat and made it soft enough to cut through with a butter knife.

but.... you can cook a chicken cutlet... in a pan... in under 5 minutes??

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

blarzgh posted:

I was already going to have charcoal lit for the grill, and the Anova had just finished the flank steak. Timing wise, it worked out to try it in the water, and finish on the grill; why make another pan dirty?

but.... you can cook... a flank steak.... *and* a chicken cutlet.... on a grill... in less than 5 minutes?

why the gently caress was the anova even involved? I get it for thick cut ribeyes or tenderloin or something where even cooking to a precise temperature is hard(ish), but pounded chicken cutlets and flank steak? literally I think last time I grilled a flank steak it was about a minute and a half per side max. a pounded cutlet is like 45 seconds per side maybe. I feel like you'd lose any sousvide benefit on a hot grill, unless you had icebathed them before throwing them on or something - otherwise you're probably overshooting your sousvide temperature

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Feenix posted:

You can get that nice smoke ring on a burger bun by adding 150 grams of salt to the bag.

llllllllelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Feenix posted:

Serious post: how do you gents and lasses get your mason jars not to do the hokey pokey all over the puddle bucket?

Mine is just doing laps and I fear a tip over.

Edit I guess I can't upload animated gifs to imgur.
*shrug*

vaccum seal your mason jar

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Hopper posted:

I use pickling jars (The all glass type with a rubber seal ring) to make creme brulee, my jars don't move at all. Is there a lot of air in your jar?
If so maybe a smaller jar would work better because less air = less buoyancy or whatever the word is.

I think "unerträgliche dingsleichtigkeit" is the word you're looking for, buoyancy is close though

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

BrianBoitano posted:

Has anyone used SV to "vape" alcohol? The "vaportini" seemed like a fun party toy, and some sources say the target temperature of that device is around 140°F.

I just tried it with Whiskey, and it seemed okay, if ineffectual. 1.5 oz in a Ball jar puddled at 145°F for 15 minutes. Crack the lid and inhale, then quickly replace the cap. Took (and held in for a few seconds each) about 15 breaths in a row, then another ~20 over 20 minutes of doing dinner dishes before it stopped "tasting" alcoholic.

My impressions:

• Claim: gets you drunk faster since it absorbs directly into blood vessels. Verdict: not even close, for my dosage. I wouldn't expect full drunk after 1.5 oz, but I didn't really feel any effects at all, and I normally get dancy-singy after 1 drink.
  • Claim: less harsh tasting. Verdict: yes, as long as you inhale through your mouth and not your nose!
  • Claim: almost no calories! Verdict: Not so fast. Definitely fewer than mixed drinks, beer or wine, since this doesn't deliver carbs. But alcohol in the blood can be metabolized by cells, so it carries calories. this article says you'll save some calories compared to a liquid shot, but it doesn't give figures.

Bottom line: give it a try as a party trick or if you want to spice up your weekday alcoholism. Please chime in if you've ever done this, especially if you went beyond 1.5 oz or were able to feel a buzz. Anyone try it in the microwave?

Do not, as one article suggested, expect the non-vaped liquid to taste like a slightly bland, slightly sweet version of what you vaped if your liquor was barrel aged. Tannins remain behind and thus are concentrated and taste like poo poo.

my impressions :

• oh god is he serious
  • wait he used
    • code:
      [list]
  • gently caress he also used proper grammar and punctuation and
    code:
    [b]
  • this dude is hosed in the head
  • christ help us all

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Steve Yun posted:

The best thing to do is really to put it in your Amazon shopping cart for two years and stare at it, waiting for an insane deal and asking people what's the best X, Y or Z several times and browsing different forums for opinions over those two years

pretty sure this should be the new title for the entire loving forums :golfclap:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I don't know why you'd sousvide scallops either, but regardless, your steak example is also not great either. I won't even sear off a steak until I've icebathed it, I don't wanna overcook what I spent all that effort getting right.

I'm sure there's a reason having two circulators would be beneficial, but I haven't encountered it in my kitchen yet. If it's a matter of just keeping something warm after it has cooked, I'll throw it in a pot on lowest simmer or something, personally.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Norns posted:

Stop telling people to not sous vide in the sous vide thread holy poo poo guys

hey

hey

gently caress you

no really, some poo poo shouldn't be sous vide. like tiny scallops. and thin chicken cutlets. cooking sous vide is a technique. like braising. or boiling. or poaching.

if there as a Boiling Food Megathread, I would get up in arms at someone suggesting boiling a bone in thick cut ribeye. it's cool, they can boil their ribeye if they really want, but if they post about it with enthusiasm on an internet comedy forum about cooking I'm gonna sip my whitewine on dem 1 time and fuckin get indignant. :colbert:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
IM GONNA FUCKIN CUT U M8

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ EVERYONE IS DOING EVERYTHING WRONG VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

theres a will theres moe posted:

If you don't already know, find out how many circuits you have in your kitchen. Anova PCs draw up to 10 A I believe, so two plus a toaster oven or something will pop your breaker unless you distribute the draw across a couple circuits.

actually seriouspost : this is realtalk

I've popped a breaker at least 20 or so times using my anova on the same circuit as my convection toaster oven. I switch it to a different circuit, and then pop the circuit that my electric boil kettle is on. I use at least two of these tools probably every time I cook, so I have to consciously be like "alright, what can I plug this loving anova in to this time".

edit : my house was built in 1915 and my electrical wires have some sort of fabric mesh braiding around them (whatthefuck, pretty sure I could die in a fire at any given second), so I'm blaming the house more than the anova

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 13, 2017

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

CrazySalamander posted:

Get your house checked out by an electrician.

ok cool

I just had one come by

he says 'hey your house is old as poo poo, we should probably rip everything out, that will be $10,000

hope this helps

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

namaste faggots posted:

What do you think helocs are for? :confused:

hahahahah "debt"

lol :shobon:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Hopper posted:

Right I bought 4 veal schnitzel for tomorrow. I will prepare Vienna style schnitzel, I.e. lightly dust in flour then dunk in egg then bread and then fry in a pan with a lot of oil.

I will make 2 of these the traditional way and 2 sous vide. Now these things are very thin, I'd say 1/3" 0.7-0.9 mm at most, how long so you recon they need? I wanna say 54 c for about 45 mins, but maybe I should use a slightly lower temperature as they will be in the pan until the crust is good, which means they will become more done, so I could go for rare instead of medium rare and hope the pan sorts it out.

kannst du mal einfach ein wienerschnitzel kochen, schlappschwanz? gott im himmel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I cooked schnitzel for 12 on fathers day on an unfamiliar electric stove at a vacation house. my jager-mushroom sauce loving sucked because the person in charge of packing didn't fuckin pack the chicken stock - but made a roux and used some bullion and white wine, and worcestershire. searing off a million cutlets on 4 lovely electric burners and holding them in an oven goddamn sucked, but my takeaway was 'add enough salt, and anything tastes good.' I think my cutlets were all over but it literally didn't matter because it was salty fried thin chicken breast with some mushroomy sauce, and everyone loved it. protip : add more butter to the frying pan.