Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Agree that recipe is good. I often do it very simple, 83C, carrots and butter in the bag, a minute or so in the frying pan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Hasselblad posted:

Has anyone else had a significant other get tired of food being cooked perfectly?

I don't like to sous vide everything. Even doneness isn't always the best way.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Big Dick Cheney posted:

Pork and beef in the sous-vide. Does adding alcohol help break down the meat like it does in a slow cooker?

I don't know about in the bag, but it certainly helps kill the waiting time!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A huge share of house fires are caused by faulty electrical equipment. If you leave fewer of them running while you are away, the risk is lower. As a compromise, you can do the 24 hour cooks on the weekend where an accidental fire will kill you in your sleep trigger the smoke alarm and alert you.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

SubG posted:

No they aren't.

Electrical fires are around 10% of residential structure fires, and about 70% of those are due to problems in wiring or lighting systems. Electrical appliances suddenly bursting into flames because they were left on is loving rounding error.

In most years the majority of all residential structure fires are due to cooking, and the majority of those are due to accidents on the range/stovetop. If you're worried about preventing household fires you should spend way the gently caress more time worrying about using your fry pan than about leaving your s-v machine running.

Where I live, 99% of ranges are electric, so that does skew the stats a little.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Elizabethan Error posted:

do they have explosive water where you live also?

It's a heater element. It only needs of the single-point cheap bits like probe or thermostat to fail, or some part of the software to trigger a weird bug, it would then boil the water away in a couple of hours before it caught fire. It's not very likely of course. I use a rice cooker and a PID controller. On a few occasions, the controller has gotten into some weird state where it'll put the power on in a constant, rhythmic, on/off pattern and the temperature will start to increase above the setting. Always caught it before it got too bad and I also have the rice cooker's own thermostat as a backup, it is meant to switch to keep-warm-mode when the water has boiled away anyway. I don't trust that equipment to leave it alone for long periods of time as a habit, but I'll do it now and then.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Hopper posted:

Doing a butterflied then filled and rolled up leg of lamb for Sunday. Due to logistics, I plan to prep and bag it tonight and put in the water tomorrow noon.

The "filling" is a mix of toasted mustard seeds, toasted cumin seeds and mint.

Do you reckon that is fine to prep tonight and leave in the fridge for 18 hours or will it affect the taste due to too much "marinading" of the flavours?

I haven't tried anything similar, but I would optimistically assume it tastes better because of that.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Phanatic posted:

First, it can't even get hot enough to boil water. Second, assuming that all the water did evaporate, why would it catch fire?

Or course it can get hot enough. It has a thermostat that switches off when it reaches the set temp. If that single component fails, 750W will heat 4 gallons of water to boiling in under 2 hours, assuming no losses. 750W constantly on indoors will cause a fire sooner or later. Any electric heater etc at that power can also cause a fire, but usually don't because they too have thermostats. And they are designed to fail in safe ways, after having caused innumerable fires in the past. Hell, a 100W TV can also catch fire, given that there's something wrong with it. For that matter, so can a fridge.

I'm not saying it's risky to do multi-day sous vides while away from home, but you certainly can't say it's physically impossible that something can go wrong. If someone you live with doesn't want to, why not throw them a bone and so some longer ones while in the house first.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Elizabethan Error posted:

not really a valid usage case for people with working eyeballs.

The whole point is that your working eyeballs would be away, looking at something else. I always get stuck in these derails, I'll scamper away with my trusty fire extinguisher.

Ola fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 20, 2019

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Spatule posted:

How else are you gonna warm up lube? (the answer is baby bottle warmer of course)

Can't find a baby bottle warmer that will accommodate a 5 lbs bucket of Val-U-Glide.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Inspector 34 posted:

Well color me educated. I won't mention that again when talking about sous vide to friends unless it actually does apply, but I stand by what I said. Some people cannot or will not accept that bacteria can be killed lower than 165°.

Have those people ever eaten sushi? Or an apple?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Got a cut I haven't cooked before, or even heard about. I had a hard time finding a name for it in English actually, had to go through Latin. Triceps brachii, a.k.a. clod heart, shoulder center, shoulder top (those are two different parts of the same muscle I think) or ranch cut. It's a nice 2 lb square sided rectangular piece, so I think I'll just vizzle it whole, sear it and cut slices. Anyone have any experience with it? Looking for tips for cooking time, temp etc. Think I'll do 135F for 5-6 hours, but perhaps it needs more.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Definitely a longer. Central Texas is known for that cut but it does cook on the smoker for about 4 hours. I would aim for 10-12 hours and presear it. A simple salt and pepper rub would be your best bet

Gotcha. Will throw in puddle when I wake up and then aim for a late-ish dinner.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Whatever air is in there will expand when heated from room/fridge temp to cooking temp, a very weak jar could possibly break.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Jhet posted:

Again, only if you over tighten the rings on the jars. If you're not using actual mason jars (Ball, Kerr, etc) then you should try them. You just tighten them by hand until just a little snug and the lids are designed so that the air can escape when the expansion occurs. They've already engineered for this exact problem. You can pressure can with many of those jars which will absolutely raise the internal temp to boiling and cause that expansion you're worried about.

If you take care of your jars and check for seal, there's very little risk of explosion, even less for sub-boiling temps. There are jars in my family that have been in use for 20+ years and the only thing that needs to be replaced is the lids because they don't reseal. Use can reuse them for other non-canned uses though.

Gotcha, but I'm sure there are some cheap crap ones around. It wouldn't explode with any big force, just break and spill the contents.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Definitely a longer. Central Texas is known for that cut but it does cook on the smoker for about 4 hours. I would aim for 10-12 hours and presear it. A simple salt and pepper rub would be your best bet

Did this last weekend, in the original packaging. So no presear or seasoning. 138F for 11-ish hours. Nothing wrong with the tenderness, it was real nice, soft and juicy. But the taste was not good. Too beefy, a real gamey, iron-like taste. Perhaps it would have been better if it stewed in presear juices, but I don't think it would make a big difference. I'm sure it's great from a Texan smoker, but I'll give this one a pass the next time. It was from a farmer's market, local, grass, etc etc, so it want cheap either.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Alright, trying a chicken breast sous vide. 145f for 1h45m sound right?

Yes. It's certainly on the safe side. If it gets mushy, go for 1h next time.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

NPR Journalizard posted:

Its a function of time as well. The longer you hold a piece of food at a given temperature, the safer it is.

98.6°F for 40 years gives it a slightly stiff, yet flabby appearance.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

No need to be careful, just alley oop it in the puddle. You can set it to anything between desired serving temp and final cook temp. Or you can thaw it overnight in the fridge and broil it in the oven.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ColHannibal posted:

This is not entirely true.

There are a few clarifications food safety wise, dropping a frozen hunk of anything into a tepid bath is a bad idea as you are kinda just keeping it at the danger zone. Now if the bag was never opened from your original cook then the contents have been pasteurized and the risk is close to zero, but if the bag was opened before freezing the safest thing to do is fridge thaw then puddle at cooking temp.

The heat flow is faster the bigger the temperature difference is. And the difference in temperature between palatable and cooked isn't very big. It thaws really fast in the puddle and as you say, is likely pasteurized already.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

toplitzin posted:

And thus, you have summed up why i loving hate smart/connected appliances.

I have dumb old school sous vide with a PID controller that looks like electronic lab equipment, but it fucks up on occasion too. Thankfully/regretfully in the hot direction.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Hasselblad posted:

Don't forget chicken breasts.

Yeah, consistent done-ness and logistics can be a good reason. I've done this on a few NYE parties. Chicken breasts with skin, do them the day before, cool and refrigerate. Then at the party they just needed a few minutes under the broiler to crisp the skin and heat up to a palatable temp.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I've done thighs a few times, nice quality big ones. I did it because the difference between the inside and outside was too big when I oven roasted. A proper chef would no doubt nail it without the SV, but I'm not as good as a proper chef so SV helps me get a better result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Hasselblad posted:

leaving meat out in the sun covered with flies and feces.

This foodie trend is merely months away.