Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Phantom Limb posted:

Is top sirloin okay to cook for ~2 hours or is it a 24-48 hour cut?

I have done 2 and it was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I agree about a Under Pressure. It's interesting but not a go to daily kind of resource. I like what the Serious Eats Food Lab did with their Sous Vide 101 series of posts. I will refer to that for times and temperatures when doing something quick and easy. I don't have MC @Home but I do have the full version and I refer to it quite a lot. The best bets tables for sous vide are really useful to me and I have only done two recipes straight out of the books. For me it is a more useful reference. As for recipes, the short ribs are amazing and worth doing once. Forget about coring carrots, try pulling strands of microwaved beef apart.

I wonder if something like the Joy of Cooking will get an update for modern home cooks. That would be a book I went to every week at least.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I am getting a searzall and just realized I was at a Home Depot yesterday and forgot to get another yellow can of gas.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Since any kind of torching inside sets off the smoke detectors, I will do it outside and just set the thing on the concrete slab that is our patio. Concrete gives no fucks if the searzall is a few thousand degrees.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

And of course now that the Anova Precision Cooker kickstarter is pretty much done they launch a new one for The WiFi model. Anyone want two precision cookers?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

.Z. posted:

Link? I went looking and only see the one the just finished still.

I was either drunk, dreaming, or thinking of the Nomiku WiFi. I swear I saw something via the kickstarter app a few nights ago though. I am now questioning my perception of reality since it was so very real.

Yeah, Nomiku must look like Anova when you've had a few cocktails. I wasn't posting drunk or anything, but was looking at kickstarter. Come to think of it, that explains a whole lot....

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I am going to set off all of the smoke detectors. Every single goddamned one of them.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Hypnolobster posted:

Don't worry, they'll be delayed again.

I'm sure they will all be banned for reason of being a fire hazard.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Okay, I'm not just setting off all my smoke detectors, but my neighbors' too.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Huge_Midget posted:

The point of things like the Searzall and restaurant grade salamander ovens is that they cook via high intensity infrared radiation vs an open flame like in a grill. The infrared radiation from a flame is spread out more evenly in these devices and this gives you more controllable and consistent results.

Yeah, having a salamander at home would be awesome but it will never happen.

I did mutant-sized chicken breasts at 142F today (I went a few degrees over 140 because they were really thick and we had an immune compromised guest so I wanted to make sure to pasteurize to core completely). Juiciest chicken ever but they look weird from the bag so I used the torch (come on searzall and get here already) and made them look better.

If y'all aren't doing 140F chicken you really need to try it. It's just so much better.

And although I didn't puddle them, I did heirloom tomatoes infused with basil oil and reduced balsamic in the vacuum chamber. Those were then assembled with fresh mozz and a little more basil and it was the best Caprese ever. Seriously incredible.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

geetee posted:

I need to try this. Basil oil was blended or just muddled?

I blended mostly stems and a few leaves, strained well. It wasn't super basil-y but it worked. I basically ran the vacuum chamber as long as it would let me, and I think that is what got the texture and absorption to come out so well. I also out a little salt in with the tomato if you care.

I took the bag juice from the tomatoes and reduced it with the bag juice from the chicken to make the sauce for the chicken. Was very very tasty. The tomatoes took up so much basil oil and balsamic that the Caprese didn't really need any other dressing but everyone loves reduced balsamic and it looked fancier with the drizzle.

drat it now I need to go buy more tomatoes.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Any advice on using sous vide for pulled or shredded meat? I am doing tamales this year and I think it could make some awesome meat filling. I'm thinking brisket with a bit of traditional red chile sauce, or flavors thereof, might be awesome.

Last year I smoked two pork butts and a full packer brisket and the tamales were epic, but I think sous vide can make them better and some people didn't like the smoke flavor last year (they were wrong).

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

It's not sous vide, but the "Modernist Cuisine At Home" pressure cooker carnitas was awesome in tamales. (I also like their tamale recipe)

Posts like this make me almost regret having the OG MC set, which lacks tamale goodness. Though even the home version probably requires putting the corn through a centrifuge or pacojet and uses carrageenan to thicken the masa.

Someone else is doing pork, so I'm the beef guy this year. Maybe I will sous vide one and smoke another and do tamale thunderdome.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Shadowhand00 posted:

Does the Searzall cause alot of smoke as well?

I would be interested in this since I am basically forbidden from torching indoors. I have set off all the smoke detectors one too many times...

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Shadowhand00 posted:

I imagine if you wanted to do the French Laundry preparation of Butter poached lobster, jars would be a perfect method of doing that.

Don't forget Coi's smoked egg yolks.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Shadowhand00 posted:

Right - this was more about jars and using a medium to cook. For our consumer grade circulators, I dont think the little motors will function well if you dip them in pure butter.

Also, butter is quite expensive relative to 4 gallons of water.

You don't fill the whole thing with butter. You put a small container of butter (I would use the square glad ware that is deep rather than shallow) in the water, not totally submerged but just heated by the water, and cook the lobster in the hot butter. Coi had a Cambro setup where the large deep Cambro was full of water and there was a shallower Cambro that fit down in it where the water heated the smaller Cambro and you cooked in that.

If words aren't enough I can MS Paint it.

Don't ruin your sous vide by filling a container with butter and putting vacuum sealed meat in that. Worst case sous vide the lobster in a bag with some butter in the bag (bag in water) but Keller had a reason why he didn't like that.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The Midniter posted:

Has anyone gotten their Kickstarter Anova yet? I'm antsy.

Thanks for reminding me, I had all but forgotten about the wait until this post. :f5:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Anyone else with a Searzall have their outer screen start to bow out when seasoning? Mine bowed out maybe a quarter inch when hot and ended up about an eighth inch bowed out after it cooled.

Also my adapter seems to be a bit off, made it hard to get the searzall head perfectly aligned with with angle of the torch...

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Mine bowed out a little too, I think it might be normal.

My adapter was also not exactly 1/8 of an inch. You can use a dime and nickel stacked together as an alternative.

My adapter wasn't perfect but I used the stick anyways. I got a few flame pops at the start of seasoning but at the end of seasoning the adapter wasn't leaking flame.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Any reason why a whole brisket would be unsafe to sous vide? I know that very thick cuts will not hear to core safely, but I figure a brisket is thin enough to not be a problem.

I am actually doing this for tamales. I am thinking of doing the chile sauce first and putting a little in the bag with the meat. Last year I smoked the brisket for tamales and they were great and I think sous vide will be even better.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

SubG posted:

It isn't unsafe in principle to put a brisket in the puddle machine. You probably only want to smoke the flat of a trimmed brisket. The fat cap would probably just come out gross and it's the least well-behaved part of most briskets (in terms of geometry) anyway.

The downside of doing a brisket sous vide as opposed to smoking is that you get neither a smoke ring nor bark. If you just want a bunch of beef to shred that's probably not a big deal. But it's worth pointing out that it doesn't really produce a similar result.

Some people are happy adding liquid smoke or the equivalent to try to replicate the flavour of smoked meat. I'm not a fan of this, but your mileage may vary. You can also smoke a brisket for the first couple hours and then finish it in the puddle machine---smoke ring formation only happens before the meat hits around 140 F/60 C so if you put a probe in the surface and pull the brisked when the first quarter inch/cm or so hits temperature you'll get all the smoke ring you'd have gotten if you'd done the whole thing in the smoker.

Bark formation, however, is something that needs a lot of time in a fairly dry environment to get all those proteins to polymerise. I don't know any way of faking/expediting the process.

I have smoked whole packer brisket before, and I actually want to avoid the smoke. The one complaint from some people last year was the smoked flavor of the smoked meat in the tamales (traditionalists). But yeah, I have been smoking meat for years. I cheat and use a BBQ Guru controller for my WSM, saying more here would be a derail.

My concern was more about thickness of a brisket when puddled than anything else. My desired end result is a bunch of shredded meat seasoned with chile sauce. I realize I may lose the Maillard reaction flavor from torching after the puddle, but it should be dang good if the chile sauce is nice.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

If you're just going to shred it up anyways, cut it into two big pieces so that they can each reach food safety temp.

Isn't the limiting factor thickness? In that case I would just separate the point from the flat.

Or if I just want shredded beef is there something better than brisket?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Bob_McBob posted:

I got my Anova Kickstarter shipping notice today. I was at the beginning of the second batch, around 2200. Should be delivered on Monday :)

I am in the 1900s with the surf and turf pack. I had ordered a white and black one, and instead of shipping my black one now I guess I have to wait until the white ones get in to get anything. Lame.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Mikey Purp posted:

Today I learned that I'm a moron who can't count and that 72 hours from Thursday is Sunday, not Saturday as originally believed. Does anyone have first hand experience with 48 hour short ribs at 144*? My google searches suggest it'll still be awesome, but I don't know if it's worth leaving some in the bath til Sunday.

You will be fine. Douglas Baldwin claims significant diminishing returns beyond 24 hours.
I think the MC team did a lot of work with long cooks and still recommend 72 and 48 for some things, but your short ribs will be very good.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Would the raw garlic in the Serious Eats Food Lab recipe for Turkchetta be a problem? I know you are supposed to use garlic powder when sous vide, but since it only needs four hours, I wonder if it would be safe.

I think for Thanksgiving instead of smoking one turkey and frying one turkey, I'll turn the breasts of both into Turkchetta and smoke the rest of the parts...

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

'

There appears to be a tilt on the 4.75 gallon container, but the good news is that it has a slightly wider base, which I assume was meant to help it stand on its own, a feature that seems to be unique amongst consumer circulators.

The 12 quart container has a thin rim, so I think it will clip on better on that, although it tapers. The Rubbermaid Carb-x containers have straighter sides, which might help
http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Commercial-Products-FG630200CLR-Container/dp/B004P1HTZY

Maybe Flash Gordon Ramsay can chime in about his Sansaire setup?

I use a Cambro with Sansaire like pictured, and it works fine. I must know: Where did you get those balls???

See the way the clip is a little out from the lower wall of the container? I just put a rolled up kitchen towel there. Damps the vibration a bit and keeps it sturdy. I have the tilt as well, and it actually helps things circulate nicely in the bath. I also put a small wire rack in the bottom to make sure that the bags don't hit the bottom and get nice flow underneath.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Counterpoint (what everyone used before some realized you could charge 4x as much for sv specific balls): http://www.amazon.com/Practice-Ping-Pong-Balls-Tennis/dp/B000ILDDSM/

Well, there goes :10bux: I will have Balls AND a Lid!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Choadmaster posted:

I'm going to be doing these (and pearl onions). I'm blaming you if my Thanksgiving is ruined.

One of us, one of us!
So far I have done cranberries and sweet potato sous vide for thanksgiving, doing garlic mashed retro graded sous vide tonight. Tomorrow will do Turchetta.
I think the only things NOT sous vide that I am making are the deep fried whole turkey and sautéed Brussels sprouts. Those get a pass because they are cooked in hot fat.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

What's the best way to thaw a large amount of frozen meat that was cooked sous vide then chilled and frozen? I have more than I can fit in my water bath.
I have a cooler that can fit all the frozen bags, but my Sansaire can't really work with that much volume. I'm thinking hot water at 170F will drop to 140F when I add 8 large bags of frozen (previously cooked) meat. Am I crazy?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Choadmaster posted:

I literally just googled this equation so hopefully I'm doing it right (the result seems reasonable):

(mass 1) (Δt 1) (specific heat capacity 1) = (mass 2) (Δt 2) (specific heat capacity 2)

Assuming you have an approximately equal mass of water and meat (you said lots of meat!), we can cut mass out of the equation. The specific heat capacity of water is about 4.2 and meat about 2.8 (actually varies a lot depending on what meat but this is a good average I think). So:

(x - 30) * 2.8 = (170 - x) * 4.2

So x = 114. That will be your final equilibrium temperature. That will be thawed. The real question is will it happen fast enough (the last bit will take forever really, so to pull a number from my rear end you might be looking more at closer to 110 in the center of the meat) and is that warm enough to feel right if you just sear and eat (probably not).

Why not throw it in the fridge to slow thaw the day before, then warm half in the sansaire and the other half in the cooler? Monitor the cooler closely though.

If I do the cooler thing I will keep replenishing with boiling or hot water. I might just use the pot from my turkey fryer, if not the burner too and reheat that way.
I think I have 20 lbs of meat to reheat. I will make sure it gets to 140 in a safe amount of time.

Apparently at least two other people are bring meat too. Fifty pounds. Each.

We will be making tamales for days.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Hed posted:

You're forgetting latent heat (the thawing) in the (heat lost = heat gained) equation above, but looks like it doesn't matter at this point.

Well I know that it would be totally stupid for me to dump 20 pounds of frozen meat into several gallons of 170 F or maybe even boiling water and expect it to be both hot and safe to eat. The more I think about it the more I think giant turkey frier pot of water on the large turkey frier burner might be the way to go.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The tamale meat came out really well. The weird greenish look some of the meat got when first cooking was a total non issue, and cooking sous vide, frozen, and reheated in a big fuckoff pot of water kept to 145F for a couple hours resulted in meat that could be shredded easily in the bag and tasted amazing. I reduced the pot full of bag liquid from the six bags and added a little chile sauce and now I have sauce for Chile Colorado that is the beefiest chile-ist sauce ever.
The chicken that I did at 140 for a couple hours with chile sauce and then mashed in the bag and froze was pretty much unanimously everyone's favorite. Reheated in water on the stove monitored and kept to 140 for an hour or so.

Seriously, cooking and freezing sous vide had pretty much no detectable impact on quality when reheated gently (at or below original cooking temperature).

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Any tips on sous vide garlic confit? I have a ton of extra garlic from the holiday (don't ask) and I kind of want to do a bunch of small bags confit to save/freeze for use later. However, I know the whole garlic + anaerobic environment thing can be bad.

Is it really as easy as garlic and oil cooked for 7 hours at 190F, or do I need to add some acid or do something else?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

Do you have a pressure cooker and mason jars? it's even easier to do it that way.

No and no. I think I might just make a little to use this week and then ditch the rest. No sense tempting fate when someone in my family may be immune compromised.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

CrazyLittle posted:

I'm in the same position you are. Sit tight. We waited this long so far.

Its okay, I ordered a two pack. One White and one Red.
I won't get them in time for Christmas. One was a christmas gift. The other a birthday gift, for someone born in October.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Jeoh posted:

Short ribs at 72 hours, do I really need to vacuum seal them or can I just ziplock it like other kinds of meat? Thinking about Christmas...

For that long I think you need to not only vacuum but double bag.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Choadmaster posted:

So you did your tamales, and they turned out great. Got a recipe?

Long post incoming:

For the Meat, I did this sauce. I kind of burned the chiles a little and also roasted the mirepoix with the chile. Came out good, but not as spicy as some would have liked. Cool the sauce before using.

I cut the meat into pieces where 1-2 pieces would fit in the largest bag my sealer would fit, in my case 12"x14". I put some salt and pepper on the beef and added some chile sauce.

Double bagged and cooked for 72 hours at 145F.

Meat was chilled in ice water in the sink and frozen.

Reheated in 140F water using an outdoor turkey fryer and its large pot. Maybe 2 hours?

Shredded the meat in the bag as much as possible first. Drained the juice and reduced it separately, shredded the meat the rest of the way by hand. Added back in some of the juice and a lot of Abuelo's chile sauce.

For the tamales, we are still trying to get the actual recipe from my friend's Abuelo. He comes with Masa and Chile already made. They did make 60 pounds of boiled meat this year, so at least they know how to do that part, but the sous vide stuff put the boiled meat to shame.

I also did 140F chicken breasts with Abuelo's chile sauce kind of spur of the moment. Those actually turned into the best tamales of the day (and we made over 500 tamales and only 30 or so were chicken).

tl;dr: Sous vide meat is awesome and if you don't have actual hispanic parents/grandparents who make tamales for christmas find a friend who does and learn from them. One day I will get all of the secrets and learn how to do it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Plinkey posted:

Anyone do a meat glued turducken before? We always have Turkey for Christmas and I'm thinking about saying that I'll do it and showing up with crazy-people food.

I figured I'd use one turkey/duck/chicken. Debone them all and end up with 4 rolls (2 x white meat, 2 x dark meat) stuff the centers with sausage and meat glut and layers then roll them all up. Each one would (should?) end up about the size of a pretty large pork loin. What kind of temp/time would I be looking at? 155 ish for 8-10 hours then sear or do I need to go higher because of all the duck fat?

You would have to be really careful about the diameter of the meat log in this case. I think anything over 4-5 inches ends up not being able to get the core up to temperature safely. Maybe if you did it as flat layers and rolled it after cooking or something?

Edit: Kenji's post linked before mine actually covers this well, cooking it from the inside out was brilliant.

Ultimate Mango fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 5, 2014

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

100 hour oxtail. It's a lot more fat and a lot more gelatin than short ribs.

How was the bag juice and what did you do with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Jeoh posted:

Is making black garlic sous vide a thing? I figure it'd keep my house from smelling like garlic for weeks. And the bacteria should die off after 2 weeks of 50C, right?

I am pretty sure garlic can get bad in an airless environment that isn't really acidic. Something about botulism.