Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

mls posted:

Just picked up 2 pork butts from Costco since they have the $5 off deal going on right now. Was considering doing Kenji’s sous vide carnitas recipe. I’ve read some of the comments that say 165 can come out dry. Does anyone have any experience cooking it at 160?

I stopped doing this particular recipe sous vide and started with the pressure cooker. Much better for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The Walrus posted:

i am always cautious of adding too much salt when sous viding pork shoulder, at what point does it get hammy?

It won’t get hammy unless you add pink salt.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Yeah the anova app never seems to work right. Honestly, every time I have to use my parents' anova, it's just a drag compared to the Joule, even with the buttons.

Very strange. And it can’t control two machines at once still.

Extra strange since the APO app is pretty great.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Zarin posted:

Just spitballing, since I haven't really tried anything like that yet myself, but to me that sounds like an ideal case for broiling on the middle rack (or the rack below middle if your broiler is super aggressive).

In theory you could also do a grill as well if that's more convenient than broiling.

To me, it just sounds like something prone to burning is a bad candidate for "a cast-iron pan heated to a temperature approximating the surface of the sun", and something more indirect/radiant would be the play there.

I now want to experiment with my pizza oven. I did steaks and both sides seared equally (top and bottom) and carry over from 850F was insane.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

toplitzin posted:

The chicken rice or the french toast tomorrow morning.

I find that when I do French toast in the APO I use much closer to one egg per bread slice than half an egg as the recipes suggest. I also try to use the thick bread from the Japanese grocery nearby.

Gonna try the chicken rice this week. If I didn’t have frozen peas and carrots what veg do y’all like with this?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

How did you keep the egg bites from sticking? I love them in the APO but they have welded to anything I’ve tried to make them in.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Pretty big difference. A bare torch tends to just char the very surface, whereas the searzall gives a better actual “sear,” but it does so too slowly imo which can leave you (over)cooking whatever you’re just trying to sear.

Not really a fan of either. If the food has a remotely flat surface you’re better of tossing it on screaming hot cast iron. If not, under the broiler. Searzall is good to have around for edge cases where the pan/broiler won’t do, but I rarely find myself reaching for it. Ymmv

Pizza oven at 750F-1000F sears things pretty dang well. When I tried steak last the carryover took it from med rare to fully well. I need to work on that.

Even searing on a charcoal chimney can be just as easy as a searzall but faster and better in terms of result.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

qutius posted:

Seems like an ice bath would be needed when using something like a pizza oven. Which one do you have? They seem like such a great tool to have for the backyard.

Been enjoying my APO so far, can't get the drat thing to connect to wifi and am hoping to get the price match on the current sale price as well. The thing is big, need to figure out exactly where I am going to keep it. Haven't had a chance to do any "real" cooks with it yet, but will dig into a few things this week. Really happy with how quickly it shipped and arrived!

The Gozney Dome is indeed awesome but I would not use it to casually sear something after sous vide. Its hot enough you don’t need to sous vide first. But that’s another thread.

I did beef and chicken in chile sauce to a friend’s camping trip. Did both to a shreddable texture and the 25 people on that trip all insisted that they forever do pre cooked sous vide taco night on future camps.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Nephzinho posted:

But its so big :(

Is it bigger than my vac master? That thing is 15 years old and is really loud and it needs like new seal bar tape or something.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Entropic posted:

Do you actually get perceptibly better results with SV veg vs. steaming then broiling them though?

Yes. Very much yes.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Action-Bastard posted:

Hello thread, looking for a little advice or guidance on a possible Xmas dinner.

I had an idea to sous vid a whole duck. The local grocery store has whole duck for relatively cheap making acquisition easy. I have some experience with sous vide already with an adequate set up. I have done steaks, chicken portions, and this last Thanksgiving had success with a whole turkey leg.

Problem I'm finding is a lack of resources on how to best go about this. Previously I Google "sous vide ____" and get dozens of results I can pick and choose from. Whole duck is conspicuously sparse.

My plan based on what I have been able to find is to pat the bird dry, spatchcock, and do a light spice and salt rub. Cook at 140° for 4ish hours and then sear on the broiler or outdoor grill.

A. Does this sound fine?
B. Should I throw in some citrus fruit slices to help marinade it or would that have reduced effect in a sous vide?
C. Any suggestions to bring out the best of this dish?

Thanks in advanced

Maybe don’t do the whole duck. Do the breasts and dark meat separately even if you sous vide it all, do each at the right temperature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Kwolok posted:

Did anyone see that sous vide ultrasonic bath video? Makes me seriously tempted to try it...

Is this about the ultrasonic fries from MC or something different?