Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Perfect timing since my Nomiku should finally arrive this week. For the first couple things I'll probably just clip it to a big pot but eventually I'll need to get one o' them containers. Should I care about the container or will any big plastic bin that's safe at 80C or so be fine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I'm trying the 72 hour short rib recipe, seared on all sides and double-bagged in the food saver. I started it last night and when I woke up, there was a distinct smell of cooking beef in the house. The bags look sealed - no ballooning visible - but it seems weird that I can smell anything at all through two Food Saver bags. Is that normal or should I be concerned? It's a pleasant smell but it doesn't seem like it should be there at all.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Thanks. That makes me feel better.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Food safety folks will tell you to thaw in the fridge, not on the countertop. You want to mimimize the time the food spends in the danger zone where bad stuff grows. I don't have the names memorized and I imagine that someone who does is posting about them right now, but here's the dumbed down version: nasty microorganisms that grow in food sometimes have spores and/or toxic byproducts that aren't easily destroyed. If you go from "too cold for those little bastards" to "too hot for those little bastards" quickly enough, they never produce enough spores or toxins for it to matter and you're fine. Leave the food in the danger zone for long enough and becomes hopeless.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I haven't done 48 but I did 72 @ 62 C, seared, rubbed with garlic and pepper, and then double-bagged. I loved 'em. They were falling off the bone tender but not mush. They tasted amazing, like the best pot roast I ever imagined, but not dry the way pot roast gets. I just need to make sure to get less fatty short ribs next time.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Yeah, the grey layer near the outside ends up being just a couple millimeters thick after a good 30 second sear. That's part of the goal. I tried torch searing last night and it made an even smaller grey zone, though it was more time consuming than the pan method.

I only tried the torch because my wife complained that there was a flavor to the crust of a grilled steak that I wasn't getting via pan searing. A basic torch sear was only a hair better, according to her review. Personally I am a weirdo freak person who hates that taste and avoids grilled food whenever possible, so I'm a little fuzzy on the nuances here, but does the Goon gestalt think that more torching might get it closer, or is there a flavor profile unique to grilling a steak over coal?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Related question - after I seared my steaks last night, I deglazed with a little red wine, then added butter, broth, and meat juices to try to make a pan sauce. When I deglazed, the fond was coming up in big flakes. I made some other mistakes in the ratios of what I added and came away with a pale sauce with big flakes of fond floating in it. Did I screw up when I used my metal spatula to scrub the fond off, or are there other factors that determine how it behaves?

Zorak of Michigan fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 2, 2014

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I'll remember that, thanks. Usually the juices go in with packaged gravy mix for the mashed potatoes, but this time I was trying my hand at potatoes Lyonaisse, so I figured, why not add them to the pan sauce?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

nwin posted:

So those short ribs I did for 72 hours at 129? I took em out today and threw em in an ice water bath because I plan on heating/searing tomorrow for dinner.

I double vacuum sealed them (bag in a bag) and it looks like the inner bag has some gasses or something in it because it was causing the bag to float (I had to put a plate on it yesterday when I noticed to keep it weighed down).

When I took it out of the water bath, I noticed some kind of smell coming from the bag. I thought I had read that this is normal, but I wanted to make sure.

The first time I did these ribs I must have gotten a better seal because I didn't have any of these issues.

When I made 72 hour short ribs I was surprised by the cooking beef smell that came from the double-bagged ribs. If it's a good smell, don't worry about it. If it's a bad smell, you've got problems.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

If I pasteurize avocado, can I refrigerate them after and use them the next day? I have a vague fear that heating them will accelerate the ripening/rotting process and I'll have a mess on my hands.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

No Wave posted:

I thought the point of heating them was to stop that process from happening. If that is not the case - why are you pasteurizing your avocados?

It stops or at least slows down the browning that happens when you expose them to air. I thought that was a different process than ripening. My knowledge of the chemistry of this stuff is pretty much limited to what I've read in GWS.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Zorak of Michigan posted:

If I pasteurize avocado, can I refrigerate them after and use them the next day? I have a vague fear that heating them will accelerate the ripening/rotting process and I'll have a mess on my hands.

Turns out it's totally fine. About 3 hours at 44C and my guacamole didn't even start to turn brown for about six hours after I set it out.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The notion is that it slows down the browning/oxidization process. I haven't run comparison timings but I know that the last time I used this trick, I wasn't the only one who brought some guacamole to the party, and the other person's guac turned more considerably more rapidly. I know the browning is harmless but it's not appetizing.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

http://www.seafoodwatch.org/seafood-recommendations/groups/swordfish

It doesn't cover mercury (I assume people with mercury-related risks ought to avoid it, but it's OK for the rest of us in moderation) but it shows several well-managed fisheries.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Water has 4x the specific heat of air by weight. It's about 800 times denser too. My money's on the steak in water hitting (close to) 140 first.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Also having a Searzall is fun.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I pre-sear and go directly from bag to platter.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

5436 posted:

What is better for searing, All-Clad 12" Fry Pan or Cast Iron?

My qualifications are weak but after using my All-Clad for searing for years, I tried my cast iron and was amazed at how much better the crust on steak turned out.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I do about 70hrs at 144 degrees, pre-seared and then rubbed with pepper and minced garlic. Someone here mentioned that starting with 30 minutes at 180 degrees would help keep the cook safe, so lately my go-to move has been to start with some of the Serious Eats sous vide carrots, which work pretty nicely at that temperature, and then drop the ribs in the puddle when I have them all seared, rubbed, and bagged.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

a foolish pianist posted:

Is there any reason 144 wouldn't be safe?

Not that I know of, but I don't want to take chances with 72-hour short ribs. I usually make them for company and I don't want to have to cancel plans, or toss bags and serve scanty portions.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Big City Drinkin posted:

I don't know, actually. The label doesn't clearly indicate. It says it's "enriched" and "expeller pressed" if that's relevant. Its color was much lighter than EVOO - almost looked like water in the pan.

Given what you report, I'd go with "not refined." Look for bottles that explicitly say refined or high heat.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

This summer I'm going to try putting my cast iron skillet on a tabletop induction hob, which will be on a table on my crappy deck. I'm not sure it will get as hot as I'd like, but it will keep the smoke out of the house. I hope.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Note to self: to ensure truth in advertising, store my Nomiku on the shelf under the Dyson V6.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I'm thinking of making a big mess of 72 hour short ribs for a party, more than I can cook at once. My draft plan is to cook in two batches, serve the second, and use the puddle to reheat the first batch. Am I missing a risk? Is there a better way to do it?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Ultimate Mango posted:

Cook and cool both of them in advance. Puddle or oven to reheat, depending on how you were doing them. Less timing to worry about with finishing one batch at the time another needs to be reheated.

Edit: I have also reheated mass quantities, even from frozen, in a big turkey fryer pot and outdoor burner. Left the meat in the bags, big honking pot of water, and came out great. I think the most I’ve done this way is maybe 40-50#, so enough for a good sized party.

Thanks! My thought is that for 72 hour short ribs, it's kind of irrelevant if they turn into 70 hour or 74 hour ribs, so I already don't need to worry about the timing too much. If I was making something that cooked in a couple hours, that would be different. Am I overlooking something?

Anyone have a formula for reheating time in a hot water bath?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

How long did the first set last you? I'm on my second set, but I've been using the mine for years now. The consumable cost doesn't really bother me.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Also make sure that the inside part of the bag that will be sealed is wiped clean. Stray spices and whatnot can stop it from fusing to the two sides together and you'll get a leak.

After seeing it recommended somewhere, I've been rolling back the edges of the bag a couple inches before putting the food in. It makes it a lot easier to keep the seal area clean.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Hasselblad posted:

Wouldn’t those bacteria that survive that long cook be killed off in the post puddle inferno, or are folks eating straight from puddle to plate?

I puddle my short ribs, smoke, and then crisp.

I go puddle to plate with 72 hr short ribs. Pre-sear aggressively, 30 min in the puddle at 180, then add cold water to bring the pool down to desired cook temp rapidly. I've never had a rib come out anything other than delicious with this approach.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I like pairing sous vide carrots with 72 hour short ribs. https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/06/sous-vide-glazed-carrots-recipe.html

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

This reminds me that while I don't trust a countertop device to take a water bath from under 40 to above 140 fast enough for food safety purposes, I absolutely would spend a couple hundred bucks on a speed thawing machine that I could leave unattended to keep the water in a cambro at 39 degrees for hours. I like my drinks really cold, so my fridge is set to the egde of freezing, so obviously things thaw very slowly in there.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I do ribs for 70 or so hours at 44 C. I sear first, and sometimes I use a torch to get at bits that won't sear in the pan. Then they get 30 minutes at 80 C, after which I add cold water or ice to get down to 44. With those precautions, I've never had a problem.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

My wife assures me that neither sous vide nor any other cooking technique is appropriate for cat.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The Joule instructions specify doing exactly what you're talking about. https://support.chefsteps.com/hc/en-us/articles/214090878-How-do-I-clean-Joule-

quote:

To keep Joule running smoothly over the long haul, we suggest cleaning it regularly in a vinegar bath. The harder the water is in your area, the more often you will want to clean your Joule. The cleaning instructions are detailed here, and also shown in the video below:

Pour equal parts of water and distilled white vinegar into a small pot.
Add Joule, use manual mode to set the temperature to 140 °F / 60 °C, and allow Joule to heat the liquid.
When Joule alerts you that it has reached that temperature, the cleaning is complete.
Although 140 °F / 60 °C is preferred, running a vinegar circulation bath at a lower temperature can still do wonders for cleaning / de-scaling. (Even at Joule's minimum temp of 68 °F / 20 °C.)

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I've seared with stainless and cast iron. The iron is better but the stainless can get the job done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

If I'm in a real hurry, I help the machine along with some boiling water from my electric kettle.