Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I wouldn't recommend Wizard as a starting series, but then again I found it really boring beyond the first episode or two and dropped it about 6 episodes in and never went beyond that. I'm not sure Fourze would be great either unless you're specifically looking for or enjoy really silly and light-hearted shows. I loved Fourze, even if I think it kind of dropped the ball beyond the character introduction arcs and flanderized much of the cast it still remained very fun throughout, but it's probably not the greatest starting series because of it. Similar to how Hibiki is a great show, but not really indicative of the franchise as a whole and probably not the best starter because of it. W, OOO, Kuuga and Agito are all good recommendations for the newer stuff though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
You missed quite a few. Like, almost half the shows quite a few. Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki (I think, haven't seen it), Den-O, OOO and Fourze all had the main character stumbling on to powers they didn't have before and transforming for the first time in the first episode. They may not have played around much with the powers in it, though some of them like Kuuga did in successive ones, but they still did regardless. Even if you want to confine it to shows where no-one told them how to use it there's still Kuuga and Agito at the very least.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Didn't Agito transform for the first time in his first episode and act confused as to what had happened? Or did he transform at some point between the incident on the ship and the first episode? Even if he did, he still had no real idea what he was doing at the start of the show and was a little freaked out by it from what I recall.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Chas McGill posted:

I think I'd love a show where a mentally unstable protagonist who has been brought up on Kamen Rider/superhero media convinces himself that he's living out the adventures he saw on TV. I could see him rolling around on his own amongst cardboard boxes and dustbins in the middle of the street. The community would band together to make sure he doesn't hurt himself too badly, and some of the younger people would humour him in his fantasy by dressing up in rubber suits.

Watch Akibaranger then. It's a live action (i.e. toku) show that's pretty much this but the cast manage to make fights more than rolling in the dirt by the power of their own delusions. Also, the new anime Flamenco Samurai may be like this too apparently.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Your friend is probably going to have a lot of fun pushing you in to watching other entries. Have fun with them when you inevitably break and try them.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Rei_ posted:

We're never going back to the days of Ichijo, Hikawa or dang like even Hojo (who was actually a decent guy I always thought, just sort of pushed in all the wrong directions).

Hojo was one of my favorite part of Agito, which is probably my favorite Rider show. He's one of the few characters in Rider that I can think of off-hand that's morally grey, barring the cast of Faiz (since that made some efforts to tell a morally grey story all round and treated the monsters as characters) and has understandable even if not agreeable reasons for all the dickish stuff he pulls. The fact that he mellows out a bit as the show goes on and starts treating Hikawa with a bit of respect later on despite their fundamental disagreements also works in his favor.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yggdrassil just had that dude with the camera monitoring them instead of cops though. He appeared several times to monitor Gaim and seems to just want to watch what happens for the moment.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Rei_ posted:

/m/ got really weird about the sisters whole 'Please don't pay for your rent with what's essentially gambling payouts', but it's literally 4chan.

I'm not really sure what's weird about it. Then again, my first reaction to the scene was: "what an uppity oval office", so I'm part of the problem if there is one. I'd understand it completely if she had said she didn't want him spending it because something like that could be a passing trend and they should save it just in case things change or called him out on how arrogant he was acting, but saying that working is something people do to make other people happier and not to support themselves just seems really dumb to me. No-one works dead beat jobs because they enjoy them or are working to improve society. Someone could lie and tell themselves they are I guess, but I highly doubt even such a person wouldn't know the truth deep down and squashing her brother's happiness and fortune by saying it just seems like an act of jealousy to me. Also, it's not really gambling. Comparing him to a baseball player or other sports personality is much more appropriate. Even if she was concerned about making other people happy - isn't entertaining people a job that gives people happiness?

I get what they were going for, but they really went about it the wrong way and just made the sister come off as a complete bitch. Hopefully it's just a one time thing, but I doubt it given the melodramatic tone a lot of the interpersonal interactions in the show are taking.

RBX posted:

Really like how fast everything is escalating from just dancing and Pokemon to something getting out of control and bigger.

This actually kind of weirded me out a little this episode when the DJ dude was talking about how Team Gaim is moving up the dance rankings due to winning inves battles. What's the point of having them dance if their ranking is improved solely by how they do in inves battles? I know Urobuchi has stated that the dance thing is to show characters growing up by fazing it out over time - but pushing the dancing and battles together just doesn't seem to be doing anything except highlighting flaws in the show's own logic to me.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 23, 2013

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

HKR posted:

You are the problem.

So can you explain what the problem is (as opposed to just saying it's a problem and then not illustrating why given that two people have done just that now between you and Rei_) so that I may be able to get past it, because right now I think it's just bad writing on the part of the team muddling the point they were trying to get across and making a character look worse than they intended her to.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 23, 2013

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

HKR posted:

Calling a women a "oval office" and "bitch" because she gave her younger brother some life advice is not a healthy reaction.

As far as I'm aware those words have an in-built reference to women. I'd have used bastard or dick if a man had said it. Apparently you only read those words and not the actual content or why I had a problem with what the person in question said though.

Rei_ posted:

Like, your labour is supposed to benefit society.

No, it isn't. Your labor is only really supposed to support your lifestyle, and maybe that of your partner or family as well. Your friends if you're really lucky. No-one, anywhere, ever, actually works for money for other people. People who work for others do it for charity, and those people are great people - but there is nothing wrong with what Kouta is doing outside of perhaps his attitude regarding it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yea, it wasn't his showboating that escalated street dancing through pokemon battles in to a war. That was Ygdrassil deliberately pushing people to fight, even rewarding them for doing so. Kouta is part of it, but his attitude has nothing to do with why it happened.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

melodicwaffle posted:

I honestly don't think Kouta's sister was telling him that real jobs only = jobs with the purpose of making other people happy, just that jobs have that effect regardless of your reasoning for having it.

His job is making people happy though, both his team-mates and the people watching it for entertainment. And he gave up his other jobs because of the recent switch to rewarding people for participating. It wasn't just a case of coincidence or anything. Kouta's shown that he would continue working lovely jobs for money to help his sister if need be - he just has another option now thanks to the inves battles. That's why I said that I think her giving out to him about his attitude or saying they should save it would have made more sense in context of what's actually happening within the show. Saying that inves battles are a stand in for violent gangs is all well and good, but they're not actually violent gangs in-universe so having her give out about something that's not actually happening in show isn't really making the writing of the scene look better.

melodicwaffle posted:

There's also the context of Gaim as being a sort of coming-of-age story for Kouta, as was discussed when the first episode came out, and I feel like a lot of responses to "what makes you an adult"/"what is a real job" are completely ignoring this.

Plenty of adults make their living by entertaining people. That doesn't give them a case of arrested development or mean that they'll never grow up. Kouta can still grow as a person while doing something like that and his sister is basically acting like his life should be defined by what job he works rather than the totality of his personality and the things he does, both professional and personal.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Dickeye posted:

Except that in this world where people wear fruit-based armor and street dance against the man, apparently that poo poo is frowned upon by Adults. If it wasn't a kids' show this would be the scene where she exclaims that she doesn't want his drug money.

It is a kids show though, and he isn't peddling drugs or doing anything even close to as bad as it. I can understand that sentiment if this was W or Fourze, because the memory and switch users displayed addictive personalities and behavior while attacking strangers and doing other bad things. All Kouta's doing is dancing and enganging in fights against holographic creatures while hanging out in a social club. You can say it's supposed to be a metaphor for gang violence all you want, but it isn't a very good one if it is supposed to be one and seems much more comparable to say: dance groups or any other kind of club you want to name. There's nothing wrong with teens or even adults being part of a club - even competitive ones. In fact, doing so would usually be seen as a good, healthy thing.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 23, 2013

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Their "territory" is a few stages that no-one else uses or cares about. All it decides is how easy it is for people to view their dancing. They're not extorting or any in way hurting other people. If it's supposed to be an analogy to gangs then where is the harm they're causing a la the addiction in W/Fourze? Every interview with the production team has just reinforced that it's supposed to be viewed more as a harmless club activity and something adults view as a waste of time and the cast will grow out of. And Kouta has displayed a desire to grow up himself. He's worked dead end lovely jobs for weeks or months to help support himself and his sister apparently. Now he's found a way to both make more money and to have fun while doing so. It might be an unsound activity that could fall through and require saving just in case, but there is nothing wrong with what he's doing in and of itself. Only his attitude.

We all know that the sister is trying to get him to grow up and act more adult like - it's just a really badly written scene if the translation is accurate because none of the words she's saying really fit in context. At least, they don't from our foreign point of view. And while I can understand that Japan has different cultural norms, everything I've read seems to indicate that the norms in question are not only a fairly awful thing to live with but that they're slowly killing Japanese society given declining birth rates, salarymen attitudes, "christmas cake" women and so on so I'm not really disposed to look favorably on or anyone espousing them regardless.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 23, 2013

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
If Team Gaim are making money, then they're a business/job as much as anything is and Ygdrassil are his employers. Pretty sure having a major company like that on your resume will look good, even if it's just being part of them as basically a sports player.

Waffleman_ posted:

To be honest, I'd be all over a graffiti themed Rider.

Jet Set Rider would be cool by me too. I just want more Jet Set anything though - they were great games and had a fairly funky aesthetic as well.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Boxing, MMA, wrestling etc. aren't entertainment then? What's the difference? He's being paid to fight for the entertainment of the crowd too after all. There's rules, there's rewards, there's specific areas to fight in. Doesn't seem any different to me.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yea, I'm pretty sure everyone admits that his attitude certainly needs to change and that he's being rather arrogant at the very least. Some of us just don't think getting paid to entertain people by fighting, regardless of how transient it might be, is something that deserves to be thrown in your face and treated like it makes you less than.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Rei_ posted:

I'm pretty sure that was only told explicitly in magazines and press stuff.

edit: But yeah, this was a fantastic episode. There's definitely a lot of things escalating, with Kaito basically buying out his competition by doing like maybe the most sensible thing you could do with a forest full of Lock Seeds, and Kouta very quickly realizing just how dangerous everything has gotten, and idk, it seems like a pretty realistic decision he makes at that EXACT MOMENT considering what had just happened to him. Micchi Sort of comes out of nowhere in this episode, as he's largely a background character until now, and asserts himself with a pretty strong and clear motivation. We get some good characterization out of him, too.

The only thing I really have to add to this is that there was some pretty fantastic acting from both Kouta and Micchy's actors this episode, between Kouta freaking out in his room about the fact that he could actually die and how quickly things had escalated beyond anything he'd expected and Micchy getting Sid on his side. I think Micchy might be my favorite character at the moment, and I'm really interested to see where they go with him at the very least now given that the next episode preview suggests Gaim showing up to fight for friendship, presumably with him, but we know that he ends up becoming Zangetsu/his brother's aide, while he still seems to have a lot of respect for Kouta as things stand.

tsob fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 29, 2013

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I thought there was an interview with Urobuchi where he stated they were considered nuts and that they were [possible minor future spoilers]on a lower level than fruits because of it?

tsob fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Nov 12, 2013

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Then the Urobutchi trap will be sprung and the audience will know suffering.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

SpazmasterX posted:

I'd bet money that there's a ruined city seen from that cliff.

I hope not, because there's no real way that a shot of a ruined city should be enough in and of itself for Micchy to decide it's something they absolutely cannot tell people. I just hate when shows have characters see a mystery without the audience seeing it as well though, because it means you can't really build off it properly until it's revealed and have to use vague, veiled dialogue any time the characters refer to it. Dialogue which almost always feels stilted and unnatural.

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 3, 2014

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It really wouldn't, because without context of some kind how is he to even know that it's actually a parallel dimension? Not to mention that it still doesn't make sense for him to jump straight to "we can't tell anyone" even if he had it because he has no way to know if it's an unavoidable future or not. If it's only a possible future then given time I can see him taking that stance, even if it's only a few minutes - but immediately? No. It's just shoddy writing and direction to me if it is that, and will probably come across badly regardless of what it is because that kind of hidden mystery pretty much always does.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Rei_ posted:

If only Zawame had some sort of massive iconic structure they could show ruined and overgrown with vines.

Yes, because my complaint was that there was no obvious way to recognize a given city rather than that there would be no context for why said city was there, what it meant, whether it was avoidable or any of the other obvious questions it would make one ask. Seeing a city in and of itself doesn't mean anything, regardless of what city it is.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Rei_ posted:

Wouldn't that make it even worse to disclose to the public, then? Like if they just saw this image of this THING, they'd react to it. You really wouldn't have much room for an explanation at that point.

And saying "the guys who built the entire city have been deliberately flooding it with monsters for SCIENCE! and have no desire to help you or to stop them - there's an entire dimension full of them they're barely holding at bay and humans can become killer monsters really easily by touch or eating of their fruit" wouldn't cause a panic? He was ready to disclose all that despite adequate time to ponder it regardless of panic, but he instantly nope'd at the sight of whatever was in the crater and I'm just not buying it. There's basically nothing so terrible and blatantly so in it's implications that just the sight of it in and of itself will instantly cause him to change his mind, rather than that his brother would be able to talk him around to his point of view based on it.

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 3, 2014

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Rei_ posted:

I love that like people might say 'Gaim isn't a REAL Kamen Rider' and now I can grab them by the scruff of the neck and go LOOK AT WHAT JUST HAPPENED.

Not that I ever thought of Gaim as not a real Rider, but what exactly happened this week that put him over that line compared to any previous week?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I only watched about half of Kiva so Naga may have revealed some sides to himself in the back half to revolutionize his character but I prefer the concept of Wataru over Naga based on the first half personally. I think Kiva probably has some of the strongest opening episodes in toku full stop really - it just falls apart pretty drat quick. I loved the concept of Wataru as an agorophobic dhampir with social issues who is forced to learn to get over that poo poo in order to (a) fulfill his own goals and (b) become a hero of some kind. I also loved that the Blue Sky organization viewed him as more of a threat than the actual fangires at the start of the show.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Burkion posted:

The weird thing is, I get the feeling like...Kouta is still off. I'm not sure what it is, but he still doesn't feel...

It's strange. He doesn't yet feel like an adult I guess. He's still too...soft, too... I'm really not sure how to express it.

I would imagine it's how stubbornly he clings to the idea that he can talk down everyone, how long it takes him to come to terms with the fact Demushu couldn't be talked down and how horrified he seemed at the idea someone like that could exist. In a show targeted towards kids it's understandable to draw that out since kids wouldn't be as like to know just how lovely people can be. He's not jaded enough yet basically.

Burkion posted:

It's almost like they're trying to provoke some parallels with Kamen Rider Kuuga and his message of power-only Kuuga was brutally honest in that regard. Power, while necessary, is not good. Much like violence. And it can result in some nasty loving poo poo. Kouta hasn't had to deal with his quest for power backfiring in his face yet, and I really hope he does because that's one of the BEST things about Kuuga. Kuuga, like Kouta, sought more power to save lives-and had so much power he accidentally NUKED A PREFECTURE TO DUST. Kouta just gets fancy new toys and it's all cool and awesome.

To my understanding Kuuga's power didn't blow up that prefecture, the Grongi's belt exploding because of it's cracked stone did. It exploded more violently than the others of it's rank because Kuuga had destroyed a part of the belt that normally isn't or something if I recall. I could praise Kuuga for many things, and it is a great show, but lessons on the allure of and use of power is not one that would come to my mind. Godai never really has to deal with the implications of the power he obtains and the belt is destroyed at the end of the series with no hint of loss on Godai's part.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Dante Logos posted:

Amount of time until Micchy loses all of his friends? next episode

Watching Marika cut through all his poo poo in seconds and put him down verbally this episode was glorious. I'm really curious how far Micchy is going to go in the show at this stage. Will he manage to keep hanging around till the end like a cockroach, or will he put down soon so that the show can move on to other, bigger threats. Marika's remark that he's no king would suggest he's gonna die soon. I'm not honestly sure which I'd prefer at this stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

TerminusEst13 posted:

Gaim is an unbelievable hit

It's doing well ratings wise as well as merchandising wise then? Does that mean Drive might follow it up in terms of ditching the two episode arc thing and actually have a story and some solid character growth as well? God I hope so.

linall posted:

That said, episode was fantastic. It's just one long sustained rising action.

Yea, I loved this weeks episode. Flew by. Seeing Micchy trying to build up a little replacement family for himself and literally none of them buying it was nice. It also makes me think he isn't long for this world. If Rat and that other girl had actaully stuck by him I'd think maybe he would be around for another while, but with everyone abandoning him and nothing left to stand with except Reshu I can't see him lasting long. Especially given that the King is stepping up his game and making himself more of a threat, and one that it looks like Gaim will need a team to take on. Having Micchy in the way for the last 10 episodes seems like it'd be more of a distraction than a bonus at this point.

• Locked thread