Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
This is a show about a dude who transforms when a giant orange lands on his head and also street-dancing and Pokemon. I feel it is a strong contender for Anime of the Year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So there was a quick look at the fifth Rider, one that hasn't already been spoiled, right behind Banana Man in the opening scene. I like that guy. Show him more.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rei_ posted:

That guy? He's Griton. His Lockseeds are Acorn, Pinecone and Durian.

HELL YEAH ACORN RIDER

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Potsticker posted:

The three-way battle shown at the beginning gives no context on why we should care about these riders battling.

"Holy poo poo, five Riders going to war with monster armies! What the hell, how does this happen?" - me watching the first scene.

Potsticker posted:

We don't see any outcome.

Yeah I can't imagine them not wanting to give away what is probably a big deal in the plot in the first five minutes. This is unlike the Rider War in Decade because that was all about the prophecy of Decade as the destroyer and poo poo, this is just straight up "what the gently caress is even happening?"

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 9, 2013

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

'Eh, I get to watch Black afterwards. It's not like I take this super seriously or anything, and hopefully some of my ramblings are amusing.

No, they're just stupid as hell.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
She's telling him that she's not going to take money that he made by being a loving gang member instead of working a real job, this is not hard to understand.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

jivjov posted:

The gang in question engages in acts of street dancing and holographic pokemon battling. Not exactly damning activities.

Except that in this world where people wear fruit-based armor and street dance against the man, apparently that poo poo is frowned upon by Adults. If it wasn't a kids' show this would be the scene where she exclaims that she doesn't want his drug money.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

tsob posted:

It is a kids show though, and he isn't peddling drugs or doing anything even close to as bad as it. I can understand that sentiment if this was W or Fourze, because the memory and switch users displayed addictive personalities and behavior while attacking strangers and doing other bad things. All Kouta's doing is dancing and enganging in fights against holographic creatures while hanging out in a social club. You can say it's supposed to be a metaphor for gang violence all you want, but it isn't a very good one if it is supposed to be one and seems much more comparable to say: dance groups or any other kind of club you want to name. There's nothing wrong with teens or even adults being part of a club - even competitive ones. In fact, doing so would usually be seen as a good, healthy thing.

It would seem more comparable to that if those clubs weren't also vying over territory. It's gangs. It's literally gangs. She's telling him to be a productive member of society and stop running around with a gang.

RBX posted:

She basically wants him to grow up from playing games and doing kids stuff like dancing on the street. He is confused about what to do and how to handle it.

Also this.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
She wants him to get a real job and work for his money and grow the gently caress up and stop running around with a gang street-dancing for territory and taking the easy way out by using his superpowers to crush fights. Holy poo poo why is this a multi-page argument?

It's literally the "great power, great responsibility" speech except that her point is that everyone has responsibility regardless of whether or not they turn into an orange.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rei_ posted:

I'm just saying that cockfighting is a legitimate business enterprise.

It's like cockfighting except the other guy lets his chicken out and then you get in the ring and just shoot it in the face.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of Ryuki, I wish that was a thing someone would pick up and resub, that and Kabuto. I love watching multiple riders bounce off each other but fuuuuck TVN.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm super loving excited for next week, when we'll meet Pierre, the cruelest Rider. The preview had me irrationally happy.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Potsticker posted:

The point is that kids are not going to buy inti a product where all the monsters look and act the same.

Kids bought into pogs.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Potsticker posted:

Pogs had rad designs on them. This is like the Invess who all have rad designs.

Pogs were all cardboard circles that were different colors, much like most of the Invess are the same suit in different colors.

Kids buy into stupid poo poo. Stop being obtuse and demanding Perfect Marketing Realism in your show about fruit samurai.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I keep saying this but I'd love to watch Kabuto. I just want to actually watch Kabuto and know what they're saying, and not whatever mangled clusterfuck TV-Nihon-tachi-sama wrote down.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rei_ posted:

This one got its own thread because of a lot of the incoming hype, and tbqh the Toku thread has died down considerably since TQG isn't exactly setting the world on fire and Garo is about to draw to a close. I think it's fine if we go back into the megathread with Drive.

We could also probably use a new megathread. OP for the current one hasn't been updated in a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm all for a new megathread. This one pretty much turned into the megathread between episodes anyways.

Word. I'll start working on (read: Shamelessly stealing) the OP in a bit. The big thing is updating the lists of shows.

• Locked thread