Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Liar Lyre posted:

Who here seriously thought that the street dancing fruit samurai series was gonna get this serious? Because I was fully expecting a series more like Kyoryuger
As soon as I learned it was a Rider War, I hoped it wouldn't, but really, I knew it would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Liar Lyre posted:

To be completely fair and honest, I've only started getting into toku shows this year. The only other rider series I've watched is Fourze. But at a base concept level, samurai that look like oranges doesn't scream serious drama.

Take a look at Ryuki sometime.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
You're right about that, but that show - and the context that it's not hugely unique among Rider Wars, even if it's particularly dark - is why I'm not surprised Gaim might go dark.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

jonjonaug posted:

So, we're basically here now.

Ayup, that's just about what it looks like. Hell, it's been heading in that direction for a few episodes now. What an interesting direction to take a Rider War. :allears:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

The Leper Colon V posted:

I feel dumb for not getting what this is referencing.

Shin Megami Tensei. The first one on the SNES, to be precise.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Serious Frolicking posted:

Well, that's unusual. Kouta won against someone who was stronger than he was without getting a powerup. Nice change of pace, really.

If my understanding of the preview is correct, Kouta is also going to use the lockseed he took after beating Sid, too. Gaim is pretty great.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
So, would that mean the Mai lookalike is an overlord too? Somehow that doesn't really work for me.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

jivjov posted:

I'm trying to keep track...who all knows that Micchy's big brother is the head of Yggdrasil?

I believe the only people who know are the people who work for Yggdrasill.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Xelkelvos posted:

If I go to another Rider series after this, will I be spoiled due to how good Gaim is?

Yes, absolutely. Pretty much the only series you won't be disappointed in after this is Double.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I'm going to disagree. Gold is almost certainly a Baron upgrade, but the decal on the belt piece for Silver strongly reminds me of Gaim's helmet. Kouta doesn't really need another upgrade with Triumphant Arms, but Silver looks like it's designed for him.

E: Then again, there's also that third silhouette on the left in the top panel. It's kinda weird.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Rei_ posted:

They're movie riders, people.

That would also make sense.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

scaterry posted:

So, there are more than 1 fruit of knowledge available. What happens if a human uses the wrong one?

Well, that overlord was hoarding the other one without getting hosed over. It's entirely possible that they'll get the same effects as if they'd just used the regular one. It would almost certainly take a different form than Kiwami Arms though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

boom boom boom posted:

I have to believe that the original plan was for Wizard to become a bad guy and Beast to take him down at the end.

Anything to eject Koyomi from the plot.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
That isn't how that was supposed to go down at all. Goddamn it Gaim.

loving punish Micchy for his bullshit already. :argh:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Subs are out.

That episode was incredible, especially for what it is. Kaito playing soccer, the random-rear end actual soccer players, and Riders being used as aces on a soccer team...

But most importantly (to me at least), Takatora's in the preview.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I'm getting some tripped death flag vibes from Kaito all over the place. Takatora was my favorite character, and he's my second favorite, so this doesn't look too good.

I am not pleased by the decision to actually kill Takatora.

The extra insane Micchy is pretty fun though (in a villainous "this guy needs to get taken down a peg" way, of course.)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Potsticker posted:

I went back and looked through some of the early posts on Gaim both in this thread and the toku one and its interesting to see the expectations of plots and themes based on the first couple of episodes versus where we've ended up. There's been no armies of invess lead by opposing Rider armies, no parallel worlds or time travel. Though, I suppose since we're not done yet there might still be time. The Other Mai still has no explanation yet, but at this point I'm not holding my breath for anything super exciting.

I'm honestly surprised more people haven't died yet. Gaim is very dark (as I expected, what with it being a rider war and all), but I did expect more deaths than just Hase, Sid, and (probably) Takatora.

I guess the show's not over yet. Still plenty of time for everyone to die.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Potsticker posted:

There wasn't even a real war. Like, Kaito started to build up a dancer army, but that was thrown out as soon as the energy riders showed up, and they mostly were minor harassers for Kouta. Oren was a soldier, but he mostly worked for Yggdrasil as well. Really the closest we've gotten is the Invess invasion proper, but by then all the Riders have been on the same side, excepting Micchy, Sid and Warren Statesman who died on the way to home planet, and now is back for bizcaz friday. It's like we were told there was going to be a Rider War, but the show never really gave us one.

You're right, but on the other hand the conflict is almost entirely rider vs rider, and has been for the entire show. Things are starting to consolidate more against the Overlords, now, but there's still Micchy and - as episode 38 reminded us - Ryoma as major threats. Hell, Micchy is basically the primary focus right now, even if the endgame antagonists are going to be Redue and Roshuo.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Subs are out

There's not a whole lot to say about the episode itself, but it has one hell of a preview. It's hard to say if Overlord Kouta is just a projection of what could happen or something that's actually going to happen, what with it being a preview and all, but still. Very interesting, indeed.

Nice work making the viewers wait an extra week on seeing what the gently caress that is, too.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Subs are out.

The preview content from the last episode actually was the meat of the episode, which is nice. It was also basically an illusion, which makes sense considering how ridiculous it was. I look forward to seeing more of Melon vs Lemon next week.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I'm surprised, the episode didn't actually end with a cliffhanger! Not only that, but both Roshuo and Redue are dead. !Mai being a younger vision of Roshuo's wife isn't a huge surprise, especially considering how incorporeal and dreamlike she's been throughout the whole series.

I hope the preview is more than the last five minutes of next week's episode, because it looks like they're finally fully addressing Micchy's bullshit. I don't expect the conflict to end next week, but I'd like it to get going so it could end the week after or something. I'm also really excited about the conflict focusing back on the Rider vs Rider conflict in general. I really want to see Ryoma back in a villainous role, he was really on point the last few episodes.

Mostly though I just want Micchy to get completely hosed up. Ghost Takatora calling Micchy out on being the only completely worthless human was great.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dante Logos posted:

Please. Micchy is a midboss at best. We all know that the final boss is Golden Fruit Mai

Pfft. I don't expect Micchy to be the end boss. I expect him to be ground into pavement within the next few episodes. I just don't really know who the endboss will be, now that the Overlords are done. You think the fruit will control Mai or something? The preview indicates that something's going to go down with that, but I interpreted it as suggesting the fruit would kill her.

That said, I'd rather Ryoma be the final boss.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dante Logos posted:

I was making a terrible joke It is more meta if you know a bit about the game.

My final boss prediction is for three reasons 1. The ending scenes trolls us in practice. 2. This is a Gen Urobuchi work and 3. Ryoma isn't known to be a benevolent force.
I should have caught that joke. I really enjoy that series (and have been playing Disgaea 4 again since it came out on Vita this week.) :smith:

Nah, you misunderstood that part. Roshuo didn't find Mai's appearance particularly interesting, and his wife was played by a different actor. However, his wife was someone who once had the golden fruit. She had one red eye but was otherwise human in appearance. Sound familiar? Not-Mai is actually Mai, somehow.
I'm not convinced. !Mai knows a lot about what's going on, and has a connection to Sagara somehow; if I remember correctly, she interacted with him in the past about his decision to give Kouta power (I forget if this was after Kachidoki or Kiwami.) This means that !Mai definitely is not actually the same Mai that we know. What happened with Mai this week indicates that !Mai definitely had the apple at some point. Roshuo's wife also having the red eye thus indicates two things: 1) !Mai and Roshuo's wife are the same character, or 2) !Mai and Roshuo's wife are two separate women on that end that are immensely similar.

I'm leaning toward the first possibility.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Xelkelvos posted:

It's most definitely the latter. There'll likely be some sort of reveal in the final set of episodes as to the natures of Sagara and NotMai. My theory: They're "observers" to the whole thing and make sure the fruit is passed down and not destroyed among other things. Sagara helps Kouta because he thinks it would be interesting to see someone like him fight instead of the power hungry that typically end up embroiled in it. NotMai, is of the same opinion on Kouta's disposition, but would rather him not get hurt.

You're right, but I disagree. While we don't know the exact nature of Sagara's character, we know by now his motivations and his methods: like you said, he's an observer who has - several times now - given Kouta power-ups in order to see how the situation progresses. !Mai works on the other end of that spectrum, so to speak. She knows where this bullshit leads and wants to make sure the characters are aware of the weight of their decisions. At this point, Kouta has resolve enough to satisfy Roshuo and (presumably) to stop Micchy. Mai has the apple, and the characters are set on their paths. Roshuo died essentially as a result of her role ending. So she reappears in her "real" form, and leaves with Roshuo.

Taken that way, !Mai being Roshuo's wife makes perfect sense, and we know everything we need to know about her character. Sagara is still a mystery.

Hell, they even have really similar designs. Look at these three screenshots: !Mai Wife 1 Wife 2.

Considering they're different actresses, they look remarkably similar. Roshuo's wife has white hair and significantly more ornate clothing, but the design is pretty much the same.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Xelkelvos posted:

The necklace is the signifier. If they were the same, they'd have the same necklace (or shawl). Given that it's similar, but not the same, if there was a connection, I'd either push time travel shenanigans with Mai or long lost daughter.

If they wanted to indicate that she's a different character, they did a terrible job of it. Everything, including the necklace, is so similar yet very slightly different that it indicates (to me at least) that they're the same character.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

It is kind of funny how Mai being from a long line of priestesses who attended to a non-invasive helheim tree doesn't seem to be relevant to anything, though.

That could still come up. Hell, with her having the apple, now's probably the best time to address that.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I could see Kouta forgiving him in his dying breaths, but really Micchy is just not a redeemable character.

Also, looks like Kaito's getting a power-up next week too. It'll be interesting to see that for the thirty seconds it will be on-screen before the end of the episode.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Kouta is gonna forgive him.

And then Kaito will murder him. He promised he would.

That sounds like something that Kouta and Kaito would do. Bring it on.

(I just want Micchy to get murdered.)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

OnimaruXLR posted:

The more I think about it the more I want this week's episode to be the finale of Gaim. That last image of Kaito, the (semi) sole survivor, having mastered the Devil Trigger, is so cool. And Kouta and Mai are going to ruin it :sigh: And then the series will probably end with everybody dancing, except Kaito, who will probably be dead along with Takatora for the crime of being too cool to live :mad:

The alternate end-goal is something something golden fruit something something everyone's alive including Takatora.

Somehow. And I would be okay with that only because Takatora is the best.

That said, I'm disappointed in this episode, because Micchy remains unmurdered. Goddamn it Gaim.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Rei_ posted:

I don't think we're going to get a reset button ending. This has been Kaito's arc and undoing it would leave him robbed, honestly. Mai can easily being Kouta back, and Micchy is still alive, and I HONESTLY don't think Takatora is really dead. He died in a way literally EVERYONE comes back from.

At this point I've basically accepted that Takatora's dead. You're right, he did die in a way everyone comes back from, but on the other hand, they already did that with him and he's been gone forever. I'd love it if he came back, though! Takatora's the best.

I still think Micchy should get murdered.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Subs are out

Man, they really had me going for a minute there. It's good to see that Zack isn't a traitor after all, and is just trying to take Kaito down from the inside.

And man, the number of working drivers is really dwindling. There's pretty much just Kouta, Minato, and Zack's left. I guess Micchy's basic driver is still functional, but that's a huge question mark.

Unless...It's never too late to bring on the whale. :v:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Ghost bro wasn't mean enough. I'm always happy to see him, but he was almost helpful today. What a shame.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Potsticker posted:

After being dissapointed in Yuki, Miu, Rinko, Mayu, Mai and Yoko I have absolutely no expectations going into Drive about its cast. Finally I think Rider has managed to crush all hope from me.

Wait, what was wrong with Rinko? Maybe it's lowered expectations, but I thought she was handled very well. Or maybe I'm missing something, that's possible.

Fred is on posted:

It would be pretty funny if the last episode took a sudden swerve and had Mai go "gently caress your pissing contests, I spent 45 episodes on the sidelines, I'm using the fruit myself", but I'm not holding my breath.

That time travel sequence was Mai using the fruit herself. The bigger issue is she gave up after that failed and resigned herself to her fate as the main three's prize.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Subs are out

So, as for the episode itself: Overall, I liked it a lot. There were definitely problems with the fight choreography - though I'd say those problems are a bit overstated - but the bigger issue, to me, is the way Kouta just up and left. I don't know what he should have done, to be fair, but I feel like it would be a better ending if he'd run into the forest to use his golden fruit-based overlord magic to prevent the spread of the forest, or at least something other than what we got. I appreciate that it was an attempt at a neutral ending to an SMT-style story, but the execution wasn't quite right.

Plus, blonde Kouta looks really stupid.

That said, I like how it really came down to Kouta vs Kaito in the end, and how Micchy was just loving done. I also like that they brought Takatora back to life in the end, though I don't care for him being a vehicle for Micchy's future redemption. I like how Zack was still friendly enough to try to bring Micchy back in, even though Micchy deserves to be shunned at the minimum; Zack was consistently a really cool character, so it feels appropriate.

I guess there's that epilogue episode next week. Kinda curious what that'll wind up being like, and how they justify the existence of Riders after all's said and done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Subs

That was alright, as far as an epilogue to the series goes. Kind-of a shame that that they had to bring Kouta back, and have him just kinda dominate the enemy. I'm not sure if this was intended, but I got the impression that Kouta could have smashed that Armored Rider spirit thing into the pavement without ever transforming, let alone with Micchy's help.

Also, yeah, that sequence with Jonouchi was kinda weird.

• Locked thread