Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rei_ posted:

Some more upcoming Arms Change figures Baron's Skyrim Mango Armor and Ryugen's Kiwi Chakram Armor

http://sve.2chan.net/cgi/g/src/1384248850914.jpg

loving cool as hell.

Oh jeeze. Those really are horns on his head. Also, the proper Skyrim weapon is a Greatsword :colbert:

Edit: I'm more partial to axe and board and bow

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I remember hearing that the fruits for the Riders were determined from a poll of Japanese children's favorite fruits, which might explain why there's no apple yet.

Children like Durian?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TerminusEst13 posted:

I would've gone with a gridiron joke for Gridon instead of changing his name to Ornac, but oh well; everything else about the episode was incredible. Pierre was magnificent in every way, and that transformation sequence was top notch. Especially the boxing bell ringing.

Oh and then there's that whole "these teenage punks fighting for play don't know about REAL WAR" is hilariously curmudgeony. Like if Solid Snake was a flamboyant crotchety "get off my lawn" dude.

Except Ac-orn -> Orn-ac is the same transformation from Don-guri to Guri-don. It's basically putting the first syllable last. As for the Acorn/Pinecone thing, I'm thinking it's because they're both super common fruits (in a botanical sense) that grow on trees. They're really only missing Chestnuts for common Japanese nuts.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fred is on posted:

Even though I'm usually all for localization in subs, something rubs me the wrong way about outright changing character names. It's odd, too, because I totally understand why they did it, and know I wouldn't mind it as much if this were an official translation. Ah, well, I'll just roll with it. Ornac is a fantastically goofy name anyway.

And by the way the rest of Team Gaim was laughing, Guridon is equally goofy.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The mango design for Baron's new lock uses hash-mark cuts for the mango design. I didn't realize that that was really a common way to serve it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Shaezerus posted:

Gaim on the other hand is basically the opposite, for me: I had no idea how the hell the show would work with its own, incredibly scattered concept, and was convinced that it couldn't be even remotely serious (for god's sake we have a dude whose belt yells BANANA ARMS), but here we are, just getting better and better every week.

Gaim is probably a complete 180 of Wizard in almost every aspect. Gaim's gimmicks seem completely all over the place (Sengoku, fruits, locks) while Wizard's is pretty straight and narrow yet Wizard seems to falter with plot and pacing and utterly squanders the potential of the powers it shows off while Gaim make relatively creative use of everything it shows off and keeps everything going at a decent clip.

Gaim is the Anti-Wizard

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I guess this is then end of the first Act and poo poo is continuing to ramp up. The mass production suits on on their way and the Energy Seeds will make their premier I guess all those repeat locks won't necessarily be going to waste.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

They shot so much new footage, they were able to win an Emmy for stunt work.

If there's one thing American Toku is good at is filming their own original stuntwork.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Liar Lyre posted:

Does Knights of Tir Na Nog count?

Or Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills?

TMNT: The Next Evolution should count as well.

Burkion posted:

Knights would, I think.

I really don't know why it's so hard to make your own Toku. I guess it's just easier in Japan because they have everything set up already to do it? I'd love to see an original American Power Ranger series.

It's arguably cheaper and easier to just produce an action cartoon rather than make a live-action action series and I don't believe Live Action children series that aren't dramas/comedies have had a productive histories if Tower Prep and those like it have anything to say.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

The only thing it seems they're dragging out a bit is Micchy trying to hide the fact that he's Ryugen from his brother, but it makes sense in the storyline and I'm sure the reveal isn't going to be too far off now that it seems Yggdrasil is gathering up the belt owners.

I think his brother is the only one who doesn't know that Micchy is Ryugen unless his brother's been keeping mum about it the whole time.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

Next ep preview spoilers: I wonder how they're gonna explain how Orange + what looks like Lemon Energy = That

The Lemon transforms to go over the armor. Also, this is probably what they translated into "raiment" given the appearance.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Apollove posted:

Did Kaito loving join Yggdrasil?

It seems like there's actually two (or three if you count Sagara) factions within Yggdrasil. One seeks to protect humanity by any means; the other seeks to have humanity become stronger by fighting the Invess, at any cost just short of the the eradication of humanity itself. The only other thing right now that's a mystery is the "forbidden fruit" that Sagara and Sid and Ryoma know about

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So that episode.
Sid is still a gigantic scumbag, Micchy is still a two-timing mother fucker and Yggdrassil has the ability to pretty much level the entire area and potentially has a plan to just ship everyone they can on some sort of ark is things get REALLY bad.
Nothing about the original premise of Gaim prepared me for this.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Based on the new Overlord, I'm guessing that there'll be an Overlord to correspond to the main Armor types and maybe some invess types as well. The Red overlord parallels to Baron's type, the Green one parallels Ryugen due to the Chinese motifs and additionally to the Green Inves for the same motifs. There'll likely be a Blue one that should parallel the Gaim/Zangetsu armor and the Blue invess.

Blaze Dragon posted:

For this episode, I'm now even more convinced that Sagara is an Overlord himself, but is rebelling for some reason. What that reason is, I do not know, but I'm so drat curious. Sagara is basically the best character in a series with about five or six best characters, and it's great, and he gets better every episode.

Considering the other Overlords are Red and Green (and are, respectively, violent and intelligent), obviously reflecting Kaito and Micchy, we can guess that Sagara is the Orange Overlord (considering Kachidoki is basically an upgraded Orange Arms visually, too), and is meant to be the counterpart to Kouta himself. We'll see how that turns out, but it's a probably safe bet.

Edit:If they're following the Invess colors, then Sagara would be Blue, particularly since Gaim is also Blue, though his main lockseeds are Orange

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 7, 2014

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah, it'll definitely go on hiatus at least but I have no idea where people are getting this Doomsday scenario of them ending it early. We've still go a final form and a lot of upgrades/character poo poo to go through, people!

Part of it is based on interviews from the actress who plays Mai where she said the series was halfway over at that point. The interview was done around episode 17.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rei_ posted:

I've never seen people this upset about a Rider character before and this is the franchise that gave us Kusaka and Hojo.

Well he broke one of the unspoken rules of Toku.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Solaris Knight posted:

Micchy's actor looks way too comfortable in that hat for my taste :stonk:

Really, I don't know much about toku actors and actresses, but I haven't heard anything bad about Gaim's cast.

Fwiw, at their level of acting, it should be easy for them to look comfortable in whatever getup they have to wear from Samurai Bugmen costumes to neckbeard gaijin outfits.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
If I go to another Rider series after this, will I be spoiled due to how good Gaim is?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Can Of Worms posted:

Interesting seating choices. :mmmhmm:

The zoom out later that was centered on Takatora made them look even more further away from him which was a cool touch given what happened later

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Box of Bunnies posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > Kamen Rider Gaim: Everyone's an Arsehole*

*Except Kouta and Hawktiger (and Zack)

Don't forget Kouta's sister and Mai.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Crawfish posted:

I'm still banking on DJ Sagara having potential to be leader of the Overlords and therefore potentially the main antagonist of the series if they decide to go that way.

Dude has way more knowledge than most of the other characters, knows about woman in white dress and is on speaking terms with the overlords we've seen thus far. And he has those crazy lockseed powers. They seem to be painting him as a guy helping out the underdog and symbol of hope in this series, but it could be very easily turned around to be more of a "Giving someone you can control enough power to take down your main threats, but not enough to take you down" sort of affair.

I think it's quite clear that the White Overlord is the lead Overlord and Sagara is like NotMai. Both Sagara and NotMai may be Overseers of the Forbidden Fruit and independent of the Overlords and Riders as a neutral faction.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Box of Bunnies posted:

PEPPER ARMS
ALLEZ CUISINE

Fixed that for you.

Also

JALAPENO ARMS
ALL FIRED UP

HABANERO ARMS
AYIYIYIYIYI~!

CAYENNE ARMS
YEE-HAW!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm a little crushed to see Sid go.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

melodicwaffle posted:

Way to go for the low-hanging fruit with all these puns, guys.

Orange you glad we didn't do a round of fruit puns until now?

Since this episode wasn't a total lemon, there's more than just puns to go on about.

Frankly, I think the puns are quite peachy, but there's probably a lime that shouldn't be crossed with some of these.

On the whole I think they're all pretty grape though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So everyone's kind of cut off from the outside world, there's a full on monster invasion, the city's controlling forces have lost and it seems like their enforcers, the Kurokage Troopers, aren't exactly the type to stick around in the heat of the moment. We are finally in an actual SMT setting now. Just need an ICBM threat and we'll be done.

Well there would be one if a certain Rider didn't blow it all up.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

T.G. Xarbala posted:

If it weren't for the fact that the chestplate is the laziest depiction of a fruit salad I've ever seen, I honestly like Kiwami Arms the most out of any of Kouta's forms.

That's because it's supposed to be a basket of Fruits. :v:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

Kouta has been using the belt for sustenance for probably way longer than anyone else, which probably has the side effects we're seeing now.

But I had a thought occur. What if: The blonde Mai is the fallen "queen" and the overlords aren't just metaphorical parallels but actual parallel versions? That's why Sagara keeps helping Kouta, because he knew the Kouta over there and it tuns out that Roshuo is Kaito's parallel version?

I'd take the crazy theory even further and say that Sagara is actually Future Kouta

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Potsticker posted:

Gaim wasn't very good this week, so don't sweat it.

Yeah, you may as well skip this week's episode. You wont miss anything important.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Eh, I disagree. That particular point was critical for OOO and developed through the entire series, affecting basically every character in the show. Here it affects Kouta only and, as much as I love Gaim, in a pretty half-assed way. Everyone else has already developed goals and motivations and Kouta's just...there.

I mean, it might just be that Kouta is an honestly boring character in a cast of really cool ones, so I find it really hard to care about him when I can instead see someone that actually knows what he wants to do like Kaito, or someone who's gone batshit insane to the point of casting all doubts aside and becoming insanely powerful like Micchy.

Talking about Micchy, man, did Toei troll us hard with Takatora. Masterful job, you assholes. That said, I couldn't help but laugh hard at Micchy's sheer insanity. I know I should be feeling pity or something but it's just really hilarious how he lashes out against nothing after acting super-smug. He's pathetic and it's wonderful. Became a lot less funny when it gave him enough power to beat the crap out of Kaito and Kouta though.

And on that fight, I really liked how Kouta used basically everything Kaito-related he had. First the Pine Iron, from the Lockseed Kaito gave him, then Kaito's two normal Lockseed weapons, Banaspear and Mango Punisher. Two Kaitos were not enough for one Micchy, but it was thematically neat.

The three Lemon fight earlier in the episode was also fun

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Potsticker posted:

I went back and looked through some of the early posts on Gaim both in this thread and the toku one and its interesting to see the expectations of plots and themes based on the first couple of episodes versus where we've ended up. There's been no armies of invess lead by opposing Rider armies, no parallel worlds or time travel. Though, I suppose since we're not done yet there might still be time. The Other Mai still has no explanation yet, but at this point I'm not holding my breath for anything super exciting.

Parallel worlds has come up but via the movie (and the movie tie-in).

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Burkion posted:

What kind of pissed me off about this episode was three things, one of them kind of a good thing I guess.

First, when Kouta first entered that room and saw that machine hooked up to all of those people, I instantly went "OK, smash the machine. No, stop loving around, smash the-FOR THE LOVE OF gently caress SMASH THE oh hi Redue."

Then Kaito came along and he INSTANTLY smashes the machine without a second thought. Goddamnit Kouta.

Also holy poo poo that Invess costume Kouta was turned into is not holding up well.

You could frame it like this: Kouta has no idea what's going on other than they're hooked up to a machine and he's not sure if it would be a good idea to break it since it could do nothing or make things worse. Kaito gives zero fucks about what it is and decides to break it since it seems like the most straightforward option.

God those rubber talons are embarrassing. They couldn't even spring for dowels to keep them straight?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

Pfft. I don't expect Micchy to be the end boss. I expect him to be ground into pavement within the next few episodes. I just don't really know who the endboss will be, now that the Overlords are done. You think the fruit will control Mai or something? The preview indicates that something's going to go down with that, but I interpreted it as suggesting the fruit would kill her.

That said, I'd rather Ryoma be the final boss.

I'd guess either Golden Fruit Ryoma or Helheim Corrupted Kaito as the final boss.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

I should have caught that joke. I really enjoy that series (and have been playing Disgaea 4 again since it came out on Vita this week.) :smith:

I'm not convinced. !Mai knows a lot about what's going on, and has a connection to Sagara somehow; if I remember correctly, she interacted with him in the past about his decision to give Kouta power (I forget if this was after Kachidoki or Kiwami.) This means that !Mai definitely is not actually the same Mai that we know. What happened with Mai this week indicates that !Mai definitely had the apple at some point. Roshuo's wife also having the red eye thus indicates two things: 1) !Mai and Roshuo's wife are the same character, or 2) !Mai and Roshuo's wife are two separate women on that end that are immensely similar.

I'm leaning toward the first possibility.

It's most definitely the latter. There'll likely be some sort of reveal in the final set of episodes as to the natures of Sagara and NotMai. My theory: They're "observers" to the whole thing and make sure the fruit is passed down and not destroyed among other things. Sagara helps Kouta because he thinks it would be interesting to see someone like him fight instead of the power hungry that typically end up embroiled in it. NotMai, is of the same opinion on Kouta's disposition, but would rather him not get hurt.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

You're right, but I disagree. While we don't know the exact nature of Sagara's character, we know by now his motivations and his methods: like you said, he's an observer who has - several times now - given Kouta power-ups in order to see how the situation progresses. !Mai works on the other end of that spectrum, so to speak. She knows where this bullshit leads and wants to make sure the characters are aware of the weight of their decisions. At this point, Kouta has resolve enough to satisfy Roshuo and (presumably) to stop Micchy. Mai has the apple, and the characters are set on their paths. Roshuo died essentially as a result of her role ending. So she reappears in her "real" form, and leaves with Roshuo.

Taken that way, !Mai being Roshuo's wife makes perfect sense, and we know everything we need to know about her character. Sagara is still a mystery.

Hell, they even have really similar designs. Look at these three screenshots: !Mai Wife 1 Wife 2.

Considering they're different actresses, they look remarkably similar. Roshuo's wife has white hair and significantly more ornate clothing, but the design is pretty much the same.

The necklace is the signifier. If they were the same, they'd have the same necklace (or shawl). Given that it's similar, but not the same, if there was a connection, I'd either push time travel shenanigans with Mai or long lost daughter.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Kouta is Jesus and Micchy is Judas

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

V-Men posted:

There's nothing left for him to say at this point.

Episode 45 has arrived.

There are no more distractions.
No more extra Riders.
Just Kouta and Kaito fighting for the Golden Fruit

Micchy is still being a mopey crazy person so he might show up too.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TerminusEst13 posted:

rip 2013-2014 all brave butt-holders who died in the line of duty :japan:

e:
oh yeah and everyone who got nuked in america i guess :911:

You also forgot their table brethren. You monster

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rei_ posted:

Out of all the neo-heisei stuff I'm still going to put Fourze on top, but man was Gaim a hell of a ride with a really offputting last few episodes.

It gets 90% of the landing at the end, but it doesn't quite stick it at the very end. It doesn't fall over and collapse at thevery end, but it doesn't land clean either. Of course, the start of the series is a little off as well, but the follow through is worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

You know, the only thing really stopping Kouta from popping in at random to chuck lockseeds at people is good taste. That, and no one wants to see more blonde Kouta.

Being nigh omnipotent can be busy work tbh.

• Locked thread