Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm...finally...caught up...

Jesus Christ, what a great show. I agree with nearly everyone else about Miccy-I really don't want to see him get a redemption moment. I can't think of a way it won't be forced.

I didn't like Kiwami Arms at first, but it's grown on me. Kachidoki is still better, however.

It's been mentioned that Kouta is becoming a "true" Kamen Rider is. For someone who's only watched Kiva before this(and I know that one's not well liked, so it probably isn't the best comparison for rating one's Kamen Rider-ness), what is that exactly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lessail posted:

What a weird episode. Guess Kouta didn't have that resolve thing quite figured out, eh Kaito?

He did. Roshuo himself said so before Redue hosed things up.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Can Of Worms posted:

Redue's breakdown was fantastic. The voice actor did a great job with the frantic, deranged screaming at the end. :allears:

They really nailed someone who thinks their the final boss suddenly realizing they aren't. I love villian meltdowns.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Scratchman Apoo posted:

There's nothing better in a series than when a character screams"I won't die like this!" but they do anyway. It's so goddamn satisfying.

Everyone knows that's a death flag. :colbert:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rei_ posted:

Good morning everyone! I hope everyone's hyped to watch Mitchy get redeemed at the last second as he explains his fears and sorrows to kouta under extreme duress die slowly and painfully!

It's probably going to be both, honestly.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Fooley posted:

Jesus H Kouta forgiving his sins just before he dies will take some of the joy out of it for me.

"...No. You know what? gently caress you Miccy. Burn in Hell. I'm going to start up a relationship with Mai just to spite your spirit."

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Shaezerus posted:

instead of spending the whole time agonizing over how to redeem/memorialize them.

The Naruto-Sasuke problem.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I definitely got the impression from this episode that they either didn't know at the start or changed their mind about the context of Mai appearing to the Riders, but the twist of it actually making everything worse by telling Sagara who was important was awesome and clever.

This show keeps getting better and better.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Burkion posted:

This is shown wonderfully in Kamen Rider Black, much better than what we got here. There Black steeled himself up to kill Shadow Moon, they were fighting it out-and the Creation King for a brief moment reverted Shadow Moon back to his human self. For a brief moment, forced Black to realize the person he was about to kill was his brother-and gave him hope that maybe he could save him.

This got him killed. He came back, stronger than ever, steeled his resolve, and killed Shadow Moon in their next meeting because he is a Kamen Rider.

Reading this description reminds me of when Sid killed Hase, and mockingly said he was destroying a monster and that it was heroic. They said they were going for a Black/Shadow Moon kind of thing in the story, so they had to have that in mind somewhere. Maybe they're saying a Kamen Rider doesn't have to be like that, and can save the fallen. It'd make sense with the younger audience too, "gently caress it, they're gone, kill'em" wouldn't be a great message for kids, which Kamen Rider leans a lot more to these days.

That said, the fight did play out absurdly and Kouta could have incapacitated Miccy.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Twelve by Pies posted:

I think the major difference is that Micchy was still fighting to protect someone. Yeah, he was twisted, but his goal was still "I'm going to protect Mai." This is a far cry from everyone else who was pretty much "I want more/unlimited power." This I'm pretty sure is what makes him different from the others, that even though he'd lost all sense of reason, he still at least had a somewhat noble goal in his heart. He was just going about it the wrong way.

Was it really "for Mai" though? I got the feeling through out the show that his feelings were more selfish with delusions of knowing better and actually caring about people until they disagreed with him, except Mai, who could disagree with him and he'd just wave it off as her being momentarily irrational. Only now that Mai and Kouta are dead has it all crashed down in an avalanche of realization and it's completely broken him. In that way you could say Kouta taking the hit did accomplish something.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Twelve by Pies posted:

I think when he first put on the belt his thoughts were something like "I don't care if I can't be with her, I'm going to protect her anyway." I could be wrong, I don't have the episode anymore to check. It did obviously get twisted into "I'm going to protect her so she'll notice me and then fall for me" along the way though. Also I don't know that Kouta ever really knew his true motivations other than him saying a couple of times that he was going to protect Mai, so even if it was for selfish reasons at that point, Kouta is only going to know what Micchy is actually saying.

Oh, I'm still not defending Kouta's actions, but narritively, it wasn't completely pointless. As a realistic, logical, consistent world, in universe just taking the hit and not destroying/taking off the belt was silly.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Senerio posted:

Was it dumb? Yeah. Kouta was never the brains of his operation. He's an optimist first and foremost. If he had killed Micchy or broke his belt, that would have flew in the face of all his characterization much worse than what he did.

This is actually pretty convincing. Miccy thinking of himself as the "brains of the operation" is part of what drives him up a wall when Kouta defies him with his "dumb optimism", like when Miccy wanted to stop using the Drivers and Kouta refused to let people get attacked.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Twelve by Pies posted:

If you don't think that a guy walking down the street hearing a kid say "They didn't have the blue one, all they had was brown ones" and immediately thinking "THIS MUST BE A PLOT BY GOLGOM" isn't good character writing then I don't know man.

I'm intensely curious. What was Golgom up to?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dexie posted:

Gaim's not even a Kamen Rider yet, he's an Armored Rider. :colbert:

I may be remembering wrong, but didn't Urobuchi say in an early interview that it was important that Gaim wasn't called a Kamen Rider, and that by the end of the series he'd be earning the title?

I think the issue is that Kouta did earn the name, but keeps having to re-earn it and re-learn the lessons they've already been through with the upgrades, Redue's hallucination, and the fight with Rosyuo.

If you want to be nitpicky though, Kouta did call himself Kamen Rider in their traditional early bird cameo crossover, but that doesn't count.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Potsticker posted:

I was surprised that they did go back to the weird war thing from the first episode. A month ago I would've confidently toxxed myself saying it would never be revisited. Of course it didn't turn out to be anything other than some weird vision of the fate of those who could seize the golden apple or whatever nonsense, but they did go back to it so it still left me a little impressed.

It felt like how Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann had that in medias res scene at the very start that the writers completely forgot about, but instead of ignoring it they crammed the alternate universe thing in there. Same with "Time travel apparently fucks up what you want to say".

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
They aren't even bugs anymore. :colbert:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

toanoradian posted:

RIP Kamen Rider.

Time for that Kikaider reboot to catch on and be the hot new toku series to air alongside Super Sentai.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Burkion posted:

Problem with all of that? Obviously when I speak of Sagara I do mean the forest- it'd be pointless to beat up a small portion of a much greater threat. However the fact that it CAN reach out means it must have a centralized intelligence, somewhere. Kouta should have dedicated his cause to stopping THAT, because for as much pain and suffering The Overlords or the other Riders might have caused? None of it would have happened if the Forest didn't invade first. And now Kouta has doomed another universe into following his universes own footsteps. Maybe make it clear he's going to actively hold back the forest here? Let it go no further? Again, maybe next episode they'll explain more-otherwise Kouta just perpetuated the bullshit. It's a lot like the Great Leader, in one respect-the Great Leader has no true form, has no singular body. He is a far reaching force of evil that corrupt and makes worse everything he touches and everything he encounters- that does not mean you should stop fighting him, cause he's still going to be doing lovely, lovely things. Maybe the subs will explain that what Kouta chose to do actually cut the forest off, if it does, I'll take back my main complaint. Otherwise, Kouta spared his world, only to doom others.

You're forgetting that Kouta has complete control over the forest now. Rosyuo could have saved Earth if they wanted to, but didn't because all they cared about was their queen. Presumably, Kouta can keep the forest from invading other planets as well.

I really loved it and I'm even more excited for 47. This was a great series.

But no one's told Jonouchi about Hase yet? Even if it'd be a total rear end pull, I'd be perfectly happy with Hase coming back to life somehow at the last second because Jonouchi forever hoping he's out there somewhere and wondering about his fate is horrifically sad.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Can Of Worms posted:

Who even knows about Hase's fate, anyway? As far as I can remember, it's just the Energy Riders (3 of them are dead, Takatora doesn't know anything about Hase other than his Rider stuff), Kouta and Kaito.

If Kouta can incept and even unbrain damage Takatora, they could let Jonouchi know somehow. :colbert: Shouldn't Oren know, though? I don't remember if they ran off before then or not.

I read a rumor that the last episode with Jam will be the Rider's regrets and Jam being made out of the dead Riders or something, so that could explain the sudden focus on Hase all of a sudden. Maybe Jonouchi will find out that way.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I liked it. Lots of very good scenes, but I agree that the writing overall was weak. I just don't care, I guess. It really delivered as a parting farewell.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Peko showing that there's at least one person in Zawame that isn't willing to forgive Micchy for betraying everyone and loving everything up.

Considering what Miccy did to Peko specifically, it makes a lot of sense.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Killer Queen posted:

That's an interesting point, actually. Micchy is the only Rider, outside of Kouta, who still has his belt and lockseed. Unless a future movie pulls silly antics through Kouta or the like, Micchy is the one taking on the torch, which is pretty nice thematically. A Kamen Rider Ryugen Returns movie would be super cool, actually.

Zangetsu Shin is coming back in the next Movie Wars, but I don't know if it's been said whether it's Takatora or Miccy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I've heard that Ryoma is brought back to life by way of cyborgification, no alternate universes necessary.

• Locked thread