Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SpazmasterX posted:

Go back to the first episode. You can see Gyro Mode being used among the armies in the intro.
This is probably one of the, if not the flat out most interesting thing of the first episode for me. Lots of Watermelon Arms. Is each being controlled by a Rider? If so, that's one hell lot of Riders, in a sequence that already had five in plain sight (Team Orange with Gaim, Team Banana with Baron and Gridon, Team Melon with Zangetsu and Ryugen).

The other option is that they're being controlled from a distance somehow, which feels like it'd make more sense in this situation. I mean, if we really get that massive amount of Riders, even if they're just CGI and have very basic designs, that's leaving the Riotroopers in the dust hard.

In other news, I wonder when Micchi is going to use his own Lock Seeds. That's the second one he gives to Kouta without even trying them himself, it's getting kind of annoying. Drop your massive watermelons on yourself!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, I know this is meant to be a Kaito episode, but Micchy got the best scene. In fact, every time Micchy and Sid are together, the entire episode just...doesn't matter as much in comparison. It's just them. They work so well together. I love the ruthless Micchy, even moreso in this ep than the last time we saw him. He fully knows how easily he can gently caress up Sid if he goes talk to his brother, and makes absolutely sure Sid knows this, in no uncertain terms.

He's got one hell of a future in the evil conglomerate Yggdrasill if he keeps this up. He was not kidding in that he could surpass Takatora. I mean, see how much respect Sid has for big bro? Now see how much he follows little bro. Yeah. Micchy is actually commanding more respect from Sid than Takatora (admittedly, by using Takatora as his bargaining chip).

Baron Mango Arms looks great too, but just pales in comparison to ruthless!Micchy. And seeing Mai and Kaito's similarities, as well as how Yggdrasill affected them and created their modern selves is great as well. But Micchy. That is all.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Monathin posted:

All I can really think about is the fact that they snuck in not one, but two awful continuity jokes in that opening scene, when it was translated.

I'm not sure what's more amusing. The line referencing next year's Sentai, or the fact that Momotaros, Gentarou, and Haruto are all painfully obvious, even compared to everyone else.
I somehow did not notice M.M. Toros referred to Toei's favourite cash cow character. Also I'd say that W.Access is almost as obvious as WiZ-Dragon and just as obvious as 4thRocket.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Waffleman_ posted:

Remember when Sengoku talked about the new model and Takatora volunteered to test it?

Yeah. Energy Riders soon.
Hopefully not quite that soon, we haven't seen a single finisher from Zangetsu. Hell, we're only getting Takatora transforming next episode. No Arms Changes too..

I do think that's the only way to interpret that phrase though.

Also I thought this'd be a filler-ish episode, what with going from "Riders clash because of their ideologies" to "monster attacks" like a normal Rider series. My fears were unfounded. Not only is Micchy still the best, we also got more information about how Yggdrasill works. Burning the evidence down is a pretty effective way to keep the whole Helheim Forest thing under wraps, that's for sure. Takatora's probably right in being scared though, if the cracks start appearing more and more. It's basically entirely dumb luck that the only people that found them are either dead (worker guy), MIA (Yuuya), Riders (Kouta, Micchy, Kaito) or a Rider's close friend (Mai). If THAT ended up becoming common knowledge...I foresee difficulty for both Yggdrasill's research and the whole Lock Seed business Sid's keeping up.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Burkion posted:

I am not advocating changing it, I am just pointing out the fact that there is a difference.

I think it's the tone of Gaim that's going to hurt it in the long run, if it does try to get super serious and dramatic later. It's putting almost all of its eggs into the Wacky bucket, which is fine. Mood whiplash is a thing, however, and a bad thing more than not.
Is it? I mean, I know it's had some weird things, but the plot has not been super wacky at all. If anything, it's surprisingly dark for how light and fun the series looks at first glance. Basically any Micchy-Sid scene, any Takatora scene, or most Kaito scenes show exactly how sick the whole Zawame City is, with how controlled it is by Yggdrasill, and how the upper branch (Takatora, Sid, DJ Sagara, Dr. Sengoku) work.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

He was transformed into MALL SANTA!!! :ssj:

SANTA ARMS! Merry Christmas!

This is of course followed by a giant Santa head falling on top of Kouta.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

dordreff posted:

You can basically jump in to any of them, they're almost entirely self-contained apart from a few of the earliest series. Personally, I'd recommend W, Fourze, OOO, Kuuga and Ryuki, and I'd suggest avoiding Wizard, Decade and Kabuto.

This is good advice, follow it. Let me add to it, though, you'll want to watch W, OOO and Fourze in order, due to their movie crossovers (which aren't absolutely needed for the storyline but Megamax is so drat good). Evade Wizard and Decade unless you're really bored and have watched everything else and want to see how bad Kamen Rider can be, the former is dull as hell and the latter has no story. Kabuto isn't that bad, I'd put it above Faiz, but it's a total trainwreck later on, so you might want to leave it for later.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

FeatherFloat posted:

It's only subbed by TV-Nihon, sadly, and the quality of both the video and the subs are pretty crap... but there are good raws out there and NDA Subs should have episode 4 out tomorrow. I'm really hoping they'll keep at it.

This is the reason why I don't recommend Blade, really. I love that series and its ending (and have said so in the thread repeatedly before), but the only existing fansubs are nigh-unwatchable (really bad video quality, plus TVN subs). I'm really looking forward to NDA doing the entire series, once that's done, I definitely, wholeheartedly recommend Blade for anyone, and will rewatch it myself, but without actually watchable videos, there's not too much point in recommending it, is there?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That's really sad because Yaguruma could've added a much-needed contrast to Tendou to the series, and did while he was there. Of course, you're meant to sympathize with super-perfect flawless Tendou, but Yaguruma was exactly how a hero should be: he put teamwork over working alone, and was overall far more down-to-earth and likable than Tendou.

Sad that he then gets his Zecter taken and becomes KickHopper who might as well be a totally different character.

And Drake...he existed, yeah. That's basically all I can say about him, I think the only thing I've ever cared about with him is his awesome finisher in Super Climax Heroes.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Liar Lyre posted:

Who here seriously thought that the street dancing fruit samurai series was gonna get this serious? Because I was fully expecting a series more like Kyoryuger

I have to seriously ask you how you didn't expect this, considering who's behind it, what he's taking as inspiration, and how the concept of Riders fighting against each other went in previous series.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Burkion posted:

Oh, oh no, they shot new footage. They shot a LOT of new footage, actually.

How much?

Well I'll put it this way. Kamen Rider Swan, renamed Siren, was a main hero.

For those of you who know who THAT is, you'll get why that's insane.

Femme, not Swan. We're talking about Ryuki, not Dekaranger.

Also that still surprises the hell out of me. I kind of want to watch Dragon Knight just to see how much footage is new.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Can I say, as I have until now, that Micchy is the best character? Because seriously, he is. His cynism keeps winning me over. I wonder how low he thinks of Takatora if he was serious when he told Kouta that his brother could go around killing everyone who knew about what was going on. Then again, he might've just said that to discourage Kouta from being an idiot. It wasn't going to work, because Kouta just can't turn his back on people, but it's still really nice to see someone who's intelligent enough to not just rally against something that they both don't know enough about and is blatantly more powerful than they are, both in their complete media control and, you know, Zangetsu, who's now even more powerful.

Also Shin Zangetsu has one great design, and it's nice to finally see Orange Arms' Rider Kick.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Justin_Brett posted:

If they want to keep him as Kurokage they could always come up with a justification for the MP Kurokage belts working differently and have him jack one.

I don't think this is far from the truth, actually. None of those belts had a Rider Indicator, so there's no reason to believe they "lock" to people. It's likely they're only "Kurokage" because his Lockseed is very easy to find.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Monathin posted:

Also, it's probably worth noting that Hase and Jou's Lock Seeds are probably a lower class than the usual groups. They probably aren't necessarily strong probably because of the inherent limitations of the Pinecone/Acorn lockseeds. If they got their hands on the new and improved Energy Lock Seeds and Genesis Drivers, they'd probably be able to trash the rest of the crew, if Energy Zangetsu/Soda Form is anything to go off of.

This is correct, Jonouchi's Acorn Lockseed is Class B, and Hase's Pinecone Lockseed is even lower, Class C. Every single other Lockseed used by a Rider is Class A except the Melon Energy Lockseed, which has no ranking, as it was not made for the Inves Games, but power-wise it's likely even beyond Class A, a Class S Lockseed.

Also I have to wonder your claim here, I can believe it for Hase, who has actual fighting skill, even if he's too hot-headed for his own good, but Jonouchi? Even with the best of Lockseeds, he's too much of a wimp to get any use out of them. Hopefully his training under Oren will help him man up.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm really interested in Jonouchi mostly because he appears in the first scene of the show, and he was one of the first-shown Riders in promotional material, which would make you think he would be as important as Ryugen, Baron and Zangetsu, yet he's done absolutely nothing of importance until now. Considering how Hase ended up, I find it really hard to believe that they aren't planning something big for our favourite nut here. I just can't think of WHAT, other than siding with Baron again sooner or later.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Monathin posted:

Also, theory crafting time. We know the identities of three of the four Energy Riders already. Mikata (presumably a new character), Takatora, and Professor Sengoku. We still don't know Sigurd's identity, which says to me it has to be an established character already.

Ladies and gentlemen, we are entering the age of Antagonist Sagara.

It's either that or Yuuya, if you ask me, since...well, it's definitely not Hase now, and he was my top pick. Sagara seems likely, since his job in media manipulation is over, but Yuuya would be a pretty strong pick to make Sigurd plot-important, having him clash with Kouta and Micchy.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Killer Queen posted:

Absolutely do not click on this if you don't want to know. Toei revealed who Sigurd is sometime ago and it's Sid.

This was a mistranslation, the scan talked about "the Lock Dealer era", which the translator thought was talking about Sid proper as Sigurd. We still have no idea who Sigurd actually is.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Justin_Brett posted:

Kaito tossed the Walnut lock to Zach as they were walking away, right? Barring a second Bravo twist, seems we know who Knuckle is. And speaking of Bravo, I think we'll be seeing the back of him very very soon, going by the preview.

I was thinking this exact same thing. When Kaito escapes from Ryouma, he points out that the new Drivers aren't locked to people, meaning he took one. He himself wouldn't need it (we see him transform with the Driver with the Baron faceplate, so it's a safe bet he's using the same Driver as always), and there's no point in stealing for the sake of it...it's clearly for someone else. Zach/Peco is almost definitely Knuckle.

Also am I the only one that's warming up to Takatora more and more? His moment with Micchy here was cute. I expected him to be angry, I was surprised with how calm he was about the whole "my brother betrayed me and became a Rider" thing. He seemed even proud of Micchy deciding to fight.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brother Entropy posted:

So, who else is wondering how big an Invess a jailbroken Energy Lockseed would summon?

None. The Energy Lockseeds are man-made, so they shouldn't be able to summon Inves at all. They aren't naturally-ocurring, and I doubt Ryoma would give them the ability to summon Inves for laughs (his kick is to give them catchy phrases, after all).

Also I'm kind of interested in what the Genesis Core was for. Ryoma didn't give it to any of the Yggdrasill guys, which is really weird. Maybe it was incomplete? I can see it being meant for Takatora, for a Melon Raiment using both Melon and Melon Energy.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh Snapple! posted:

The bottom of the cliff is Wizard. Micchy cannot allow Gaim to become that boring, so he will make the tough choices.

Guys, guys, this guy is right. This is the only possible explanation, and will remain my headcanon until the series itself says otherwise.

Also I trust Gen Urobuchi to not screw this up, considering how well Gaim has gone until now. Whatever is there, it's impressive enough to make Micchy stop himself and Takatora, a person who's very blatantly good despite his methods, decide to play his role. It has to be something big, but I can't think of what. We'll see when we see it, I guess.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Can Of Worms posted:

My gut feeling with Sagara is he's a mole working with an outside faction who wants Yggdrasil's research. This episode also brings up some questions about who notMai is. Is she a survivor of the previous civilization, or related with the Helheim phenomenon itself? I think she's tied with Helheim.

My personal theory is that she's indeed a member of the previous civilization, and that she basically saw this whole thing happening before: people obtain power, start fighting amongst themselves for who has the greater power/deserves to survive more, everything gets destroyed. In short, she knows fully well what people like Kaito can cause.

In fact, I find it kind of hilarious how Kaito and Ryoma are basically the exact same thing Takatora feared. Instead of uniting, people fight amongst themselves, even when faced with absolute annihilation. Kouta might be too nice for his own sake, but he wouldn't drat the entire world just for his darwinism. Kaito's reaction...clearly proves he's the entire opposite, and Ryoma follows.

I have no idea what Sid and Minato want, but I seriously doubt their goals are the same as Ryoma's. They both want "the forbidden fruit", and think of themselves as having the power to get it. I wouldn't be surprised if they're taking the darwinism to an even greater extreme: I have power, thus I rule. In short, that they're TVN's version of Kaito.

Also seriously, I believe I said this before, but Takatora just gets better each and every episode. He's definitely a good guy, and I like that. He's willing to make sacrifices for the greater good, but he hasn't forgotten said greater good. He needs to find better allies though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dante Logos posted:

I don't know how weird it is but has anyone noticed that no one has referred to Gaim as a Kamen Rider. It is Beat Rider, Energy Rider, and so on. Might be interesting if he has to earn the title in order to be called a full fledged Kamen Rider.

Lots of Heisei series don't use the Kamen Rider title in-series. Only Ryuki, Blade, Decade, Double, OOO (and only for Birth) and Fourze use it with regularity. Kiva had a single reference to it (Nago saying he uses a Rider System to become Ixa), Kabuto has "Masked/Rider Mode" but never uses the proper term, and Wizard only uses it during the crossover episodes and movies, never during its own plot.

It's likely Gaim will use it only in crossovers, just like Wizard.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The DJ Gun is the funkiest weapon ever. Ignoring the plot for a second, holy poo poo I love the entirety of Triumphant Arms, but especially that gun. If I had to buy one Kamen Rider toy, it'd be the DJ Gun. And the form itself looks awesome. I just hope we get some power-ups for everyone else though, Kouta's been hogging them hard.

Also DJ Sagara is another character I like more every appearance he has. He's mysterious as all hell (at first I doubted his motivations, now I doubt his humanity. I can only wonder what the hell he is, though my guess is an Overlord Inves that decided to go against Helheim itself). How he defined strong and weak, how he encouraged Kouta to just destroy the very rules of the world, everything he said, it was all amazing. And his confrontation with Helheim Mai too. Everyone has said that this show has some pretty strong characterization, with lots of different ideologies in constant clash, and Sagara just brings his own, and it's a completely different one too. This show's writing rules, is what I'm trying to say here.

And Kouta just destroying the Scalar System and telling Takatora to get serious about protecting people if he cared so much about his secret, wow. Kouta, you have some balls.

Basically this episode was amazing in every single way and I'm sad we're getting a non-canon crossover next week instead of a proper continuation because this show is so drat good. My fruity bug men with heavy ideological clashes that remind people of Shin Megami Tensei, keep it on. Keep it on forever.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

FortMax posted:

According to Magenta, this interview with Metal "Kamen Rider Bravo" Yoshida mentions that there will be a capsule toy of the fake Acorn lockseed. Facorn, if you will.

I wonder how that'll work. The fake Acorn lockseed in the series had a fake sound even in the song part, that is actually controlled by the faceplate, not the Lockseed, in the toy. I guess they'll skip that part and just have the "Never give up~" part said by Oren.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I think I found my favourite Lockseed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-Xr74hrnkI

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh huh, so Kaito is not getting a Jinba form, but straight up ditching the Sengoku Driver for a Genesis like Takatora. Baron Lemon Arms (Baron-Shin, considering Zangetsu-Shin?) looks cool in any case, and I'm glad finally someone other than Kouta is getting a power up...though an Energy form feels kind of underwhelming now that Kouta has gone beyond that with Kachidoki. Oh well, something's something.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Leper Colon V posted:

He is way better than he has any right to be. I'm pretty sure he's got a better actor than either Eiji or Ankh, and probably on par with the W cast at their best. (Gentaro's actor is still the best Showa main lead, and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.)

I'll fight you for that.

Gentaro is not a Showa Rider, he's a Heisei one. Showa is everything before Kuuga.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I hope he gets an upgrade soon.

Maybe if the Overlords are sufficiently bored, the red one might toss him a bone the way Sagara did for Kouta.

He's getting Lemon Energy Arms this month. It's not quite the upgrade he needs (because that's really weak now, he'd need a Kachidoki-equivalent) but it's something.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I want to add that while Kaito's acts like a complete rear end and tries to make people think he is, he's shown himself to be a fundamentally decent guy when the chips are down. And unlike Micchy, he's earnest enough not to try to have his cake and eat it too. Basically, Kaito is neither truly an rear end nor a nice guy.

He's a Nice rear end.

He's okay with humanity getting destroyed if only to prove his social darwinism, and has joined with Ryouma's group, right now the most blatantly evil side in this series, for that sake.

I'm sorry to say but Kaito is hardly a fundamentally decent anything, he's just not quite as much of an rear end in a top hat as certain other characters.

The only Nice rear end in the series is Takatora.

For this episode, I'm now even more convinced that Sagara is an Overlord himself, but is rebelling for some reason. What that reason is, I do not know, but I'm so drat curious. Sagara is basically the best character in a series with about five or six best characters, and it's great, and he gets better every episode.

Considering the other Overlords are Red and Green (and are, respectively, violent and intelligent), obviously reflecting Kaito and Micchy, we can guess that Sagara is the Orange Overlord (considering Kachidoki is basically an upgraded Orange Arms visually, too), and is meant to be the counterpart to Kouta himself. We'll see how that turns out, but it's a probably safe bet.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Leper Colon V posted:

OOO, because that one becomes shitfiller during the middle and gets good again at the end.

This is true of every Kobayashi series though. Amazing writer no doubt, but the middle part of every series she's behind is really hard to get through. Shinkenger (as much as I like how the Akumaro arc ended up), Ryuki was boring as hell for a rather long while, and Go-Busters had those awful crossover episodes and a few sort of boring episodes, though I don't remember hating its middle quite as much as the rest (and I say this as a massive Shinkenger fan).

I'd say something about Den-O but I've honestly forgotten that series entirely, and I wasn't a big fan of it even while watching it. I expect ToQger to follow this pattern, as well.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I never thought I'd say this of someone who's perfectly fine killing almost the entirety of the world's population, but Kaito, you're good people.

I have to seriously question Ryoma's intelligence here. He's surprised that Demushu decided to attack? Dude, maybe you shouldn't have sent someone as aggresive as Kaito as humanity's first contact if you didn't want that to happen!

Also every moment with Takatora and Oren this episode was a mixture of hilarious and oddly cute. I could do with seeing them more together. Pity Takatora's all but definitely getting killed soon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rei_ posted:

So based on I think leaks and episode previews people are saying next week Micchy takes over as Zangetsu Shin, and Takatora may or may not be dead. Although there's been speculation based on toy packaging that Kouta gives the Genesis Core over to Takatora so he can do Jinba Zangetsu Shin (Double Melon).

It'd make some sense. If Takatora does survive, now that Micchy's Zangetsu-Shin, he'll need a Rider form, and normal Zangetsu is really weak in comparison. I'm pretty sure the only reason Baron got an actual Energy Rider form instead of Jinba Lemon was because the Genesis Core forces the Japanese sounds on the Driver, but this is no problem to the Japanese samurai Zangetsu.

Plus I really want to see a double Melon so I'm totally on board if they go with this. And I really don't want to see Takatora die, he's basically my favourite character now.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kouta's "I fight for my friends" speech is probably the most depressing take on that I've seen in my life. From what we know as his group of close friends (namely, Yuuya, Micchy and Mai), he killed the former, the second is trying to kill him, and poor Mai is the only one that still actually cares about him. I can only imagine how badly he'll break down once he realizes how Micchy really is and all the poo poo he pulled.

Far less depressing, I kind of like how Sid really is nothing without being a tier above everyone else in equipment. The moment Kaito gets the Genesis Driver, he beats the everloving crap out of Sid, he's not able to hold back the Overlord, and I'm pretty sure Kouta could beat him up too. Sid is low-tier as it comes, alongside Micchy, they're definitely at their best outside of combat, manipulating others to do what they need.

Also WATCH OUR MOVIE had me laughing so hard. I can only hope next episode is less blatant advertising than GoBusters-Gavan and actually makes a good episode, but I doubt it.

Also also, seeing Toki no Hana translated made me happy. I wonder if there's any chance we'll get a full translation on AEsir's lyrics section.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Can I say I'm really surprised how goddamn cheerful the Faiz Blaster Lockseed is? I mean look at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heH27viw4J8

BLASTAH AWAKENING!!!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, I feel so odd about this episode. Despite being Kouta's power-up episode, the best scenes go to pretty much everyone else. Kaito's surprising leadership, Oren and Jonouchi being badasses, Minato realizing that Ryouma is not a good person to follow and deciding to side with Kaito instead, Sagara being Sagara, Redyue appearing in the human world and taking over Yggdrasill...

Don't get me wrong, the fight against Demushu was pretty drat cool, I like Kiwami Arms and how it appears (even if I think Kachidoki is still the best Gaim design), and Kouta's determination even if it means turning into a monster is great. But I have to wonder if it wouldn't have been better to split this in two and have Kouta get Kiwami in another episode, as it is, I felt more excited watching the Beat Rider alliance than watching Kouta curbstomp Demushu. In fact, I would've much preferred seeing teamwork and strategy overcome sheer power, instead of another power up doing the job, even moreso because Demushu is Kaito's counterpart Overlord, yet Kouta gets the kill.

Also, it seems that some people's prediction is coming true, if we're to believe the preview for next ep, Oren is the one to discover Zangetsu-Shin is not Takatora. I love this series.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I think Kiwami being game breakingly powerful is on purpouse, if only because this episode has shown us a rather interesting...well, I don't even know what to call it. Contradiction, I guess?

On the one hand, we have Kouta. He's basically as stock of a hero as you can get: cares about his friends most of all, has no desire of conquest or power, only wants to save people. On the other, we have Kaito, a social darwinist who cares about his own power beyond everything else and hates the very idea of friendship.

Now check their situations. Kouta is fighting alone (his original partner, Micchy, completely and utterly betrayed him; Zack, while nice, is unimportant to the story), but has gotten by far the strongest thing in the series in Kiwami. He's now power incarnate - able to use everyone's abilities without the need of having them with him. He is, by all means, completely capable of fighting alone against anything.

Kaito, however, is on the exact opposite situation. He's lagging behind in power (Lemon Energy was not planned to begin with, and was only given to Kaito due to his popularity, thus we can assume that the original idea was that he wasn't going beyond Banana and Mango, not yet anyways. Even with Lemon Energy, he's still behind Kachidoki, much more Kiwami). On the other hand, he's also the center of the Riders. His leadership managed to unite everyone to face a single threat, and has gotten him the respect out of people as unlikely as Oren and Minato. While he's too weak to face an Overlord alone, he can fight alongside the rest of the Riders and manage something.

Notice something? Their situations are entirely opposite to their personalities. Super-friendly Kouta is alone, lone wolf Kaito found himself a team. Desire-less Kouta is now the most powerful being in the series (sans, most likely, Roshuo), power-hungry Kaito is on the level of the New Gen Riders (not enough to face an Overlord or Kouta).

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

So Micchy gets more and more batshit insane every episode. Now he's even doing the :moreevil: laugh. Somehow, this is incredibly enjoyable, he can keep running away if it means we see him breaking down more and more.

Also it took no time whatsoever for Oren to realize Zangetsu-Shin wasn't Takatora, dude's observant of his love interests.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The parallels between the Overlords and Riders are pretty obvious, considering how, you know, they're coloured the same, and we have had two out of three join up.

-Red: Kaito/Demushu. Both really, really like power and social darwinism, but while Kaito has higher values and is blatantly nicer than he tries to sound like, Demushu is obsessed with destruction and rage and ended up getting killed by Kouta.
-Green: Micchy/Redyue. Both are manipulative and prefer to work in the shadows.
-White: Takatora/Roshuo. Both had the same plan to save their races. Roshuo succeeded...and then realized he shouldn't have, and lost hope and now wants to mercy-kill humanity before they make the same mistake.

If Sagara is an Overlord (which I'm not too sure about, he might be something beyond them entirely), then he'd definitely be blue, as Kouta's counterpart.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Poison Mushroom posted:

What episodes of OOO to watch

I can't say this enough: Follow this advice. OOO is a really good series, but there's a lot of slow and boring episodes. Skip those, and you've got a really, really good Kamen Rider show that deserves to be watched. In fact, follow this advice for anything with Kobayashi's name on it (I want to say not Shinkenger, but the Akumaro arc was so slow, even if the ending was loving great)

Poison Mushroom posted:

This conversation does bring up a good point, though. Are there any KR series that actually have satisfying finales? It seems like just about every single one I've watched has issues with wrapping up the ending.

If you skip the very end of the last episode (the universe getting reset again to allow a happy ending), then Ryuki for sure. As well, if you skip the very last episode, Double had a pretty good finale. Hell, even with it, if you like cheesy happy endings even if they kind of ruin what they seemed to be going for.

Also I'd say OOO's ending was pretty satisfying, especially counting Movie War Megamax. As said in the post above mine, Ultimatum gave Fourze a good ending too, even if it still forgot the entirety of the cast stuck on a space station.

Oh, and definitely Blade's ending was satisfying. Hell, I'd say the ending is the main reason to watch the series: it's really good. The problem with Blade is not the ending, but the beginning. If you can get past that horrible start, find videos that can actually be seen, and good subs, Blade is (probably) amazing. Even with those problems I consider it a very good series.

Apart from that...Agito's last fight was bad, Ryuki see above, Faiz had a horrible finale that didn't wrap up anything, Kabuto's entire last part is amazingly bad, Den-O never ends felt like it just had to force a big bad because there was no plans for one, Kiva is Kiva, Decade has no story and therefore no ending, Double see above, Wizard had an ending befitting of the series (that is, bad). I'm really hoping for Gaim to not lose steam and give us a finale as satisfying as the rest of the show.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

linall posted:

So whoever said earlier in the thread that Gaim does the whole "what is desire?" a million times better than OOOs couldn't have been more correct. I especially like how it's been on the back burner for a few episodes. It's obviously been an issue for Kouta, but we haven't been being slapped in the face by it like we were for the last third(?) of OOOs.

Eh, I disagree. That particular point was critical for OOO and developed through the entire series, affecting basically every character in the show. Here it affects Kouta only and, as much as I love Gaim, in a pretty half-assed way. Everyone else has already developed goals and motivations and Kouta's just...there.

I mean, it might just be that Kouta is an honestly boring character in a cast of really cool ones, so I find it really hard to care about him when I can instead see someone that actually knows what he wants to do like Kaito, or someone who's gone batshit insane to the point of casting all doubts aside and becoming insanely powerful like Micchy.

Talking about Micchy, man, did Toei troll us hard with Takatora. Masterful job, you assholes. That said, I couldn't help but laugh hard at Micchy's sheer insanity. I know I should be feeling pity or something but it's just really hilarious how he lashes out against nothing after acting super-smug. He's pathetic and it's wonderful. Became a lot less funny when it gave him enough power to beat the crap out of Kaito and Kouta though.

And on that fight, I really liked how Kouta used basically everything Kaito-related he had. First the Pine Iron, from the Lockseed Kaito gave him, then Kaito's two normal Lockseed weapons, Banaspear and Mango Punisher. Two Kaitos were not enough for one Micchy, but it was thematically neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Some Numbers posted:

Feel sorry for him? gently caress that, I want to see how far down this rabbit hole goes.

Every episode he seems to fall deeper and deeper. By this point I'm pretty sure he's only limited by the amount of episodes left, and maybe the next Movie War.

• Locked thread