Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I would probably die of nostalgia if there was an outright Heaven's Tornado reference / cameo in this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I really enjoyed episode 2, liked it more than episode 1 even. There's always the possibility of the wheels falling off after it gets out of the setup and new shiny stuff phase, but I'm liking the direction things are going in, especially with the vague hints of the overarching plot.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
That was an incredible episode. I really like where this is going. Did we know that Micchy was Melon's (can't remember his name) brother before this? I may have overlooked it.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

tsob posted:

I think Micchy might be my favorite character at the moment, and I'm really interested to see where they go with him at the very least now given that the next episode preview suggests Gaim showing up to fight for friendship, presumably with him, but we know that he ends up becoming Zangetsu/his brother's aide, while he still seems to have a lot of respect for Kouta as things stand.

Do we know the last part of that spoilered bit for sure? Discussion about that last bit:

I know that at the beginning of the first episode we saw him beside Zangetsu, but I always took that as something that happened in the past. Some of the upcoming stuff on Jefusion still lists him as working with Gaim, but it's entirely possible that there's a big twist coming up, especially with what we've already seen. It's entirely possible that it's been mentioned in media but I missed it entirely, just like I missed the brotherly connection.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Dexie posted:

Theory: Gaim's final form is going to be a golden Apple Arms form. It strikes me as strange that apples haven't been used yet in the show, nor have they showed up in any toy previews, and apples are usually one of the first things people thing of when you say 'fruit'. Golden apples are also pretty important in Norse mythology. so that would go along with the Norse references the show has already used.

There's an entirely unsubstantiated rumor on JEFusion about something like this: The rumor is that the mysterious girl is 'Eve', and that a silver-haired 'Adam' will show up later on in the show with the apple lock seed.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Man, those two are going to be broke as gently caress from buying lock seeds all the time. This was another good episode, though. Even if I figure we're going to be stuck into filler area soon, it's still a great show.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Another good episode. We're finally moving to Monsters of the Week, but as long as they continue to throw in character development I think I'll be quite pleased. It's definitely pretty cool how each character has their own fairly well thought-out goals that they're working towards without just becoming a one-note joke.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Just patching the episode now, but can someone explain to me what all the random text appearing during sentai / rider shows is? Is it just weather stuff / announcements for other shows?

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I agree. I mean, there's a lot of stuff you can nitpick about W, but the chemistry between the entire cast really sells it for me. Maybe if we're extra lucky and find the right people to blackmail we can get a W: Ten Years Later in five years. At least part of the cast is still willing to reprise their roles!

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I keep expecting a lovely episode to come around sooner or later but this show has kept the quality up so far. That being said, oh my god we're heading towards a massive loving really messy train wreck and I'm starting to wonder how many of these characters are going to get axes.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Regarding that bet and what I saw from the preview, this is my wild rear end speculation as to how it'll play out:

Urobuchi did an interview saying that at the end of episode 14 we'd start to see the real 'heroic' themes of the show. Based on that and the preview, I think that Micchy will WANT to put Hase down, but Kouta will insist on trying to find a way to save him. Given that it is Urobuchi, I can't honestly say which of them will be successful, I could see it going either way.

This show is coming really close to topping W so far in my 'favorite Rider' rankings. I think W had better fight choreography, but the story in this one - if it keeps up with the quality so far, even if it does get a bit more traditional - is better. W still has a decided advantage in snappy wardrobe and theme song though.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Apollove posted:

I'll agree with wardrobe, but I dunno, Just Live More is slowly making its way up there at least for me.

Just Live More is probably second for me, but I just can't stop loving WBX. I'll also admit to being dumb in that I didn't notice like half the reflection things in the OP until episode 4 or so.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
gently caress yoooooooou why did I read that? Someone give me a cattle prod, I've gotta go find Aesir. (Even though they're super fast anyways)

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Subs are out, by the way. Just getting to watching it now.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
This show keeps getting more and more amazing, it's almost not fair.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Flameingblack posted:

This series is going to quickly overtake W as the majority approved best Kamen Rider show. Even with all the goofy looking Riders, the initial focus on dancing groups and pokemon battles, the characters in this show are second to absolutely none, the drama is incredible and reminds me of how driven people are in Breaking Bad and constantly changing alliance.

I really love W so much, but after this episode I'm bumping it back to second place and giving Gaim its crown. The series COULD just outright drop into 'this is stupid' territory, but I really hope and doubt that it will. The pacing is absolutely fantastic, and I hope that Toei takes it and runs with it instead of going back to dull as hell two episode pairs. I'm sure the next show will probably go back to motw stuff, but I really hope they take the hint to keep up the pace.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
This episode was absolutely amazing, but that's par for the course by now. I appreciate you guys going to the effort of making the cipher, I think I'm going to wait until the end of the series and then go back to see what they're all saying assuming I don't trip into some spoilers before then. It'd be neat to cut it all up into a recap video, but I'm not sure how much work that'd be.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Caphi posted:

We might do a post-series release with a translated alternate track, but not before then. Even the obfuscated version in our release was a whim of Magenta's.

So what you're saying then is that this is your fault, do I have that right?

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I was just playing off the fact that everything gets 'blamed' on the wrong member of the group. I am bad at jokes.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
So now I'm honestly wondering if Yggdrasil is supposed to be part of Foundation X or if the screen listing all the prototypes was just a neat easter egg. Probably just an easter egg, but it's still neat.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

jonjonaug posted:

Considering that the rest were more ridiculous (there was even a "pumpkin bread" prototype) I'm betting it's just an easter egg.

That's just a hint at next year's rider, Kamen Rider Kabocha.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Also as a note, O-T just put out Rider x Rider Gaim & Wizard.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Gonna be kinda sad if the next lockseed upgrade doesn't keep Rise Up Your Flag. I haven't seen much in the way of suit pictures so it might not even HAVE flags, but it's probably my favorite insert song for getting hype, even over Extreme Dream and Leave All Behind.

Also while writing this I realized that I didn't even know what Infinity's theme was and had to look it up.

Edit: I also just started watching Black. Is it one of those series where I should hit certain episodes, or is it worth watching the whole thing?

Darksaber fucked around with this message at 14:24 on May 19, 2014

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Burkion posted:

Black has sprees where it dedicates itself to the plot and those are really when it's top tier and unbeatable.

But, honestly, if you think you can marathon MOTW stuff, watch all of it. The energy of the show is fantastic, the acting from Kotaro is great, and the monster suits are, with few exceptions, stellar.

If you'd prefer a more no nonsense watch of Black, ask here and I'll make a guide.

I've only seen the first two episodes so far, and I'll take your word for it and just marathon or skip over MOTW stuff if it becomes boring. The spider suits were legit awesome although I did spend a good bit of time laughing my rear end off at the were-leopard or whatever that thing in episode 2 was.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Nope, I'm the guy watching Kabuto! I'm only like 10 episodes from the end so I need to just finish it, and I'm still enjoying it, but holy gently caress it's like the writing staff had a severe concussion right after they went down to the hidden room for the second time. Maaaaybe this'll all make sense in the end but right now I have no clue where half this stuff came from.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
That's disturbingly accurate. They had the Iron Chef episodes, and then all of a sudden everything goes to poo poo!

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Even though I'm not sure if the series would really go for it, I would really enjoy seeing the Rider Alliance actually stick together for the rest of the show, minus some more crushing deaths, I'm sure. I really enjoyed seeing them all in action together and it'd be great fun to see them take down the threats that are all around them together.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Oh it's Urobuchi's version of OOOs. I'm honestly wondering who's going to die next. Mai and Kaito are seeming like especially good inspirational corpses right now, but I'd throw Minato in there too just because she's a female rider.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah but I mean it's a pretty obvious set up so I'm expecting some twist for it here soon.

Like this second thing here.

You're right of course, I just found it funny because I just finished watching that show like last week. OOOs, that is, I haven't seen any of Blade.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
http://bonus--level.tumblr.com/post/80101904935/mighty-no-9-beck-call-in-kamen-rider-armors

I found this in Mighty No. 9 backer updates, I thought others might appreciate it. But now I really want to play Mighty Number Gaim. You get lockseeds after you defeat each boss.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
If you're going to watch Kabuto, which I would say is an enjoyable show, stop after the Iron Chef episode or when you see the bunker beach. Just make up some ending in your head and stop there, because it's better than the last bit of the show.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I don't know, I still have this nagging worry that they're going to try and redeem him, which would sour me on the entire thing pretty quickly. I know who the writer is and everything, but that sneaking suspicion is still there at the back of my mind.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I think that this time I'm actually going to try watching the raw when it streams. Magenta & Caphi are normally very good about avoiding spoilers before the release drops, but with everyone else that I follow chances are I'm going to run facefirst into an untagged spoiler somewhere, so I might as well just watch it and get what I can out of it.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

scaterry posted:

Gaim 36 subs are out: http://aesirsubs.wordpress.com/2014/07/06/kamen-rider-gaim-36/

I want there to be catharsis. I want Micchy to see what he's done and correct himself. I want him to be a true Kamen rider. This though? the fight on the pier? this isn't what i wanted.

Regarding the above: Really? THAT'S what you want? Like all I want at this point is to see Micchy dead and buried under a ton of glowy fruit-based special effects. If the little shithead is alive at the end of the series I honestly think it'll really reflect negatively on the entire show for me.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Some Numbers posted:

So I guess I need to go watch Black now?

I watched it fairly recently and I would definitely say you need to go watch Black now unless you can't stand the older shows. There's some filler in the middle you can skip through, but the show really really nails the last 15 or so episodes and the landing.

And then falls down and breaks every bone in its body with RX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
It wasn't nearly as cool in practice, but the same thing kinda happened in OOOs.

• Locked thread