Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

Is this actually good or is it mainly a joke? (or both?)

It was pretty bad, not even good as a joke. Probably the worst first episode of a Rider show I've seen. Too much stuff thrown at the viewer without a lot of coherence. Basically an info dump on what makes the Gaim world different than the real world, with no interesting hooks on what's going to happen in the series. And Kouta is less interesting than Ryotaro from Den-O, who at least had the imagin-possessions (The actor was amazing with these) to give him personality and to interact with. So far none of the supporting cast is anywhere near as entertaining either to help Kouta out with being so bland.

Things I did like were Yggdrasil Tower giving the city a unique identity, (like Fuuto in W) and the DJ/announcer's scenes. (Professor K!) And the only thing I'm really interested in seeing how much it does deviate from the usual Rider formula. Wizard was a very "safe" show in how it was structured, so if Gaim is going to do things differently, at least that sounds interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Rei_ posted:

Wizard wasn't a safe Rider show at all, it took a huge risk that in telling a story that it didn't have the actors or writers to pay off. Tsuyoshi Kida took on a majority of the script, but forbid writers like Junko Komura from advancing the story without his presence. Unfortunately Tsuyoshi Kida is kind of a lovely writer (okay, this is unfair, a bit? He wrote a lot of what people consider to be the good half of Hibiki, but again that was also a really risky show), all of Wizard really stand-out episodes were written by Komura. Like the episode with Beasts Grandmother or the Manju arc. These are actually really good filler episodes that make fantastic use of the characters in them, and actually fufill some of the concepts of the show.

Monsters in Wizard tended to just oogba-booga instead of actually like, trying to do that whole despair thing? That was mostly Kida's writing. In the Komura episodes, you actually have the monsters doing really hosed up poo poo to people. When Kida sort of gets the stars to align, he can pull off a fantastic SETPIECE (like, for instance, Phoenix being kicked into the loving sun.) but he also had to contend with Koyomi, who was kind of the focal point of much of the story, being played by a teen idol whose own schedule conflicted with Wizard's shooting.

I meant safe as in the fact that it was very formulaic as far as Rider shows go, and . Otherwise I totally agree with most everything you've said. Wizard is a show where I enjoyed the ride overall, but it certainly had a lot of rough bits. And there seems to be a lot of positivity towards Gaim, so perhaps there's something people are seeing in it that I just don't get yet. I'm certainly not dropping it just on the basis of the first episode, but so far it's not doing it for me.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Elfgames posted:

I can see some of your points as valid, but no hooks on what's going to happen? did you miss the part where the weird doppelganger girl made the comment that he would have to "Fight to the bitter end 'till the world is dyed in your image." That seems like a pretty big hook along with the three way fight at the beginning of the show.

The three-way battle shown at the beginning gives no context on why we should care about these riders battling. Being shown the war at the beginning of Decade was interesting because it showed us Decade defeating everyone. That's an interesting hook, this guy beats all the previous riders! There's a mystery of when/where it takes place, but-- again-- without context, there's no reason to care. We don't see any outcome. We just know that at some point, these Riders have/will fight.

It's sort of the same as when Kouta finally transforms. The Gaim transformation has been teased a bunch, being paused as the orange clobbers his head. Now we get to see the whole thing and-- the orange just folds out. It's exactly what was suspected. There's nothing interesting about it. And then Gaim has orange powers? No, the orange motif isn't shown to add anything. When we see W transform at first, we see how his different sides do different things. OOO's medals, Fourze's switches-- we get shown why we should care about the different parts. But for Gaim we don't get to see even just what makes Orange special. So why should we care about what any specific lockseed does? Watch how differently they unfold?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

So this probably isn't the best Kamen Rider thing to lose my Kamen Rider virginity to?

Well, that's hard to say off one episode, but Double (Kamen Rider W) is the most-often recommended show to start with. It's certainly one of the best all-around. Any other post-Decade show shouldn't be too bad, either. (OOO, Fourze, Wizard) Personally, my advice would be to look at all the Heisei shows and decide what looks cool to you. Then you can watch W after that.

RBX posted:

Seriously judging a whole shows characters and plot from the first episode? I can tell this is going to be one of those seasons where everybody rushes to be first to call it poo poo so they can say :smug: We told you so :smug:.

Thanks Wizard......and Decade.

I liked Wizard and Decade. :saddowns:

Not the both didn't have their problems. I went in to Decade expecting it to be terrible and it turned out that I really enjoyed Tsukasa, Natsumelon and Daiki's antics.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Fred is on posted:

I think it's just the city that's weird, but mostly because I hope they're sticking to the vague shared continuity thing they've been doing since Double.

Wizard sort of broke the chain with Zaidan X not appearing at all.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Alright, episode 2 went a lot better. We see a whole lot more of Kouta's personality and he seems like a likable lead. Now that the bland setting info dumping from the first episode is gone and that we're focusing on the characters, I liked Episode 2 a lot more. Now I feel more invested in these characters and want to see more. Giving the girl the belt and having it not work was really terrible, and I find it odd that the fruit theme doesn't seem to have any relationship to how the Invess it summons looks. The monster switches in Fourze all looked the same, but at least the medals in OOOs had some bearing on what sort of yummy was made, and in W dopants all were directly themed to their gaia memories.

Also: why didn't Kaito use his Pineapple Lockseed to summon an Invess for the fight? Why are 3 on 1 Invess fights okay? Why hasn't Kouta tried to summon Strawberry Arms? I wish these were questions that were more like interesting mysteries to ponder rather than feeling like writing based on the necessities of the plot.

HKR posted:

So when does the sister die to fulfill her role as Uncle Ben?

I doubt this will ever happen. Though, a younger version of her fiance might end up using too much of his powers so that she'll forget who he ever was and it'll be really sad.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Mai's speech about Kouta doing stuff selflessly for other people was really weird too, considering he was really doing everything selfishly (as his sister points out) for himself. Episode 3 was pretty bad. Bad dancing, Kaito turning out to be a repetitious one-note character, and a potentially interesting Rider vs. Rider fight derailed by a bike race with no outcome and a weak fight against Inves that does nothing but show us the new Rider's finisher. Completely boring.

Was episode 2 a fluke, or maybe just even numbered episodes are going to be the good ones?

EDIT: The Gaim actors seem to be good at dancing in the Kyoryuger EDs. Why is the dancing in the show so terrible in comparison?

Potsticker fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 22, 2013

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The dumb part is that it's not a blanket decision. Kurokage wasn't localized on the grounds that they weren't sure if it was supposed to be a goofy "badass" name or not. Changing a single character's name in a huge cast while it is still airing seems both short-sighted and confusing for anyone wishing to discuss the series who may not be aware of these changes being made.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Kusaka was the only one that seemed to be able to hold on to his belt.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Double starts with Double. He's got all his powers and knows how to use them.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Burkion posted:

That's not QUITE true.

It starts right before Double becomes Double, and then we get a time skip.

Also, Wade, watch Kuuga before I loving shiv you.

Unless you count that very first scene as a flashback--

Either way, the majority of the first episode is when Double has been Double for some time. I'll admit on my first viewing, I was confused which one was asking the question. I had assumed it was Shotaro asking Phillip, but either way didn't make a lot of sense to me.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

dordreff posted:

Yeah, I guess Kabuto isn't really a "completely avoid" kind of series like Decade and Wizard are, but how much you enjoy it depends on how much you can tolerate a flawless god-king protagonist with no development at all and the boring-rear end girl he follows around everywhere, and on whether or not you can just ignore the story and go along for the fights and suits. Probably also depends on how hungry you are.

Don't "completely avoid" Decade. Tsukasa is one of the most entertaining Main Riders there is. He's like Tendou (of Kabuto) if he occasionally got his comeuppance once in a while. Sure, the AR worlds are mostly terrible and/or forgettable, but that's no reason to not even give it a chance. Just, don't expect the plot to ever make sense, the movies to have any sort of continuity, or the AR worlds to have any respect for the series they represent.

Wizard had Nitou to keep me entertained, but honestly, Wizard is probably the only Rider series I've seen where I could classify it as "absolutely skippable." Everything else has enough redeeming value to make a watch worthwhile. Even though Kabuto has the worst protagonist, it has amazing suits, Kagami and Tsurugi. Even though Fourze drags on in the beginning and falls apart in the end it has an amazing protagonist and some great stuntwork. Even though OOOs protagonist is forgettable, it has an amazing supporting cast, villains, and one of the best endings I've seen in a Rider series. Faiz falls apart completely in the end, crashing and burning, but it has an interesting plot and my favorite belt. Den-O also takes some time to get started and really has no real plot, but there's great acting all around. W stands above all at having the least flaws.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Even though they are Beast episodes, skip 32 & 33. It's one of the worst arcs in the show. The monster suit moves horribly making the fights awkward to watch and Nitou's friend and doesn't learn his lesson at all, making him very, very annoying.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Not only did he dominate every fight, but he had to be the one to get the final hit and actually defeat every enemy. Even if that enemy was someone else's important battle. Drake. T_T

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I would probably watch an edit of Kabuto where all the parts with Tendou and Hiyori cut out unless they're interacting with the main character, Kagami.

Actually, just cut out Hiyori entirely. She brought nothing to the show.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also the monster not being in focus/treated like the biggest threat is kind of a dumb thing to complain about when the main theme of this show, like the entire point behind it, is an Endless Rider War. Like, well duh they're being treated as more than grunts/foot soldiers because they're not the real threat. Yggdrasil is. Zangetsu is. Baron is.

To steal a joke It Turns out Man is the real monster.

Endless Rider War? Ryuki had a Rider War. Decade had a Rider War. This hasn't felt like a Rider War so far. Especially not an endless one. The bit in the first episode wasn't even a Rider War. It was just-- Rider Generals with Invess armies. An Invess War.

The monster suits need to step up. They're completely uninteresting and there's only been like three suits that aren't grunts, and they're being reused all over the place. Who can believe that kids would be interested in these pokemon battles with such lame pokemans? Especially since most of the time they just seem to fight with the identical looking Worm ones.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Rei_ posted:

Kids don't buy toys of the monsters. The toys of the RIDERS, however, are selling like loving hotcakes. There's a reason they keep going back to Rider War. I don't give a poo poo about the MOTW designs, make the big bads interesting looking instead.

I hope they are selling well, if only that this format is a lot more interesting than the two-episode one-monster arc format and I'd like to see it continue.

Except every major conflict in the show so far has been Rider on Rider conflict and the show itself has called the coming war endless. poo poo's a rider war, man.

Maybe if there was more than the small handful of Riders we've gotten so far? Or if they were fighting for some cause other than petty disputes over dance stages? Maybe if they were actual disputes at all. Bravo at least was rightfully annoyed that they were kids just playing around, but he's a joke character suffering a joke character fate. Griton/Ornac and Kurokage as well. It's hardly a war if half the characters are treated like joke fodder.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Congrats you've grasped the whole point of the start of the first arc. They're playing at life and are about to be thrust into serious poo poo. Also I'm not sure how the number of riders affects whether or not the series is about Riders fighting Riders.

Are you being intentionally obtuse? I wasn't questioning if it was Riders fighting Riders. I was questioning your proclamation about the show giving us an "Endless Rider War."

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Gaim was pretty good this week. It's been getting better, and the introduction of the Energy Riders last week and their plots and involvement with Yggdrasil has helped things a lot. Takatorabatta finally finding out about his brother being a Beat Rider is the plot point I've been waiting for. It'll be interesting to see how he reacts after he's done making GBS threads that brick from finding out. Also, I hope they continue to give the Hopper Dopant a lot of fight scenes. She's pretty great.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The Leper Colon V posted:

Is that SHOCKER Arms?

FIFTEEN LOCKSEED

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Now that I've been watching Super Hero Time, I'm way more hyped about Gaim each week. The bit with Kouta fumbling with his new lockseed was a weird interlude of attempted humor in an otherwise serious episode, but everything else was pretty great. Gaim has taken a while for me to really start enjoying it, and while it's not unseating any of my favorites, it's still turning into a pretty solid show.

As for what Micchy saw: It's probably the meteor that sent the Worms to Earth. Likely a destroyed Zawame City. Keeping in with the parallel worlds theory.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Flameingblack posted:

I'm really confused as to where the extra Gaim riders came from, since they've got two new males on the team. And there's a team of all-girls now? And a couple new teams? Were these just teams that were mentioned but never shown?

The girls team in white were the Kamen Rider Girls, right?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Hahahaha. This killed me. It's funny, because I made the same comment about Kaito sounding like a Chaos Hero when I watched the episode.

The city not being Zawame City surprised me. Along with the really weird simple stone couches and table that looked really fake. The idea that Helheim wasn't a mirror of the Normal world makes the notMai character kind of confusing.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

TurninTrix posted:

Episode was great, but I'm a little disappointed that Jonouchi's still hanging out with Oren. Especially since the Invess Games are over.

His posing was almost Jojo-esque during his scene with Oren.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Monathin posted:

I might get trashed for this, but I'd say that right now we're on par with Double at this point for strongest Neo-Heisei entry. And we're not even at the halfway point. And hell, we haven't even had a bad episode, and even Double gets docked for the "Heaven's Tornado" nonsense.

poo poo. It's really weird to have the newest entry be one of the strongest. I don't know how to feel.

Five of the first seven episodes were really terrible. Fourze had a stronger opening and it spent TEN episodes introducing the core cast.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I wrote a lot on the specifics of why the early episodes were so bad from a storytelling perspective, but they were mostly drowned out by the mass of posters saying they never watched Rider shows before and had no frame of reference, but Gaim is so awesome. :swoon:

One of the persistent problems is the Invess themselves. We're supposed to believe kids latched on to them as a cool battling thing to resolve schoolyard desputes like bugs or pokemon, but unlike those the Invess all just look the same. There's no link even between the lockseed used and the monster that comes out. Which it turns out is pretty important. How cool would Double have been if the dopants still kept their gaiamemory names but all used the same Worm suit and had no powers?

This is a problem too with the Energy Riders. Okay, so the Invess are an afterthought and the cool thing with Gaim is going to be Riders vs. Riders. Four badguy riders are all introduced recently-- and they all just use the same bow. Gaim has some good suit design here and there, but the monsters are boring, the best fight scenes are all out of suit stuff where they're not using bows as swords.

Basically, both the karate and bugs are lame in this karate bugman show.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Good job clipping out my reasoning and attacking my posting rather than refuting or discussing the problems with the show.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Serious Frolicking posted:

There has to be some central villain eventually, though. All the unusual parts aside, there has to be someone for Kouta to jump kick at the end. Considering that helheim doesn't seem to be sentient thus far, I'm guessing a human will somehow take over helheim for themselves.

DJ Sagara, after it's revealed that he's the CEO of Yggdrasil.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The point is that kids are not going to buy inti a product where all the monsters look and act the same.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Rei_ posted:

They never make toys of the monsters though? What the hell are you talking about?

You're an idiot I was clearly talking about the kids in the show who buy lockseeds and battle with the monsters.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Because it's boring watching cool-design Riders beat up (or get beat up by) stumbling, hunched over mutated man-things that all look the same. Doubly so when we're supposed to believe that they're what the cool kids are using to battle over dance stages with. How does such a system even get started?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Potsticker posted:

Because it's boring watching cool-design Riders beat up (or get beat up by) stumbling, hunched over mutated man-things that all look the same.

And now we've also got the Kurokage mooks and the Energy Riders, again, a lot of sameness. Kabuto had the Zectroopers, Worms and Zectors themselves, and it still wasn't this level of bland sameness between them.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Flameingblack posted:

Did Gaim kick your dog or something? I've never seen someone nitpick a series to such a degree that they're looking for any reason in the world to discount it. The drama is between the characters, not between the Riders and the Monsters.

What, no. I enjoy Gaim. Maybe not so much to start with, but overall it's been a good show that just had a rough start. It's got flaws and is disappointing in certain respects, but that's par for the course in Rider shows.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Literally The Worst posted:

Kids bought into pogs.

Pogs had rad designs on them. This is like the Invess who all have rad designs.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Literally The Worst posted:

Pogs were all cardboard circles that were different colors, much like most of the Invess are the same suit in different colors.

Kids buy into stupid poo poo. Stop being obtuse and demanding Perfect Marketing Realism in your show about fruit samurai.

Different colored circles? Did I not get the boring pogs because all the ones I saw had cartoon chatacters, graffiti-style pop art, and the like. At least you could've used marbles as your example which are just different colored orbs that kids used to battle each other with. That's a much better comparison which proves your point a lot better.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Dante Logos posted:

I don't know how weird it is but has anyone noticed that no one has referred to Gaim as a Kamen Rider. It is Beat Rider, Energy Rider, and so on. Might be interesting if he has to earn the title in order to be called a full fledged Kamen Rider.

And Armored Rider. It's not that strange. We just came off Wizard who was always a mahoutsukai.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

But it isn't kids who are the ones buying them in the show at all? It's the teenage beat riders who don't see it as a collectathon game but as a way to control territory so the fact that the monsters are all similar doesn't actually matter at all.

I hate to break this to you, but teens are kids.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

With that coat, it's hard to tell.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Wizard is a good fantasy Rider show. The fantasy being that it's a good show at all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Solaris Knight posted:

As for ______, I heard it goes off of the rails and becomes poo poo in the second half :smith:

This is pretty much all Rider shows right here.

• Locked thread