Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leal
Oct 2, 2009

judge reinhold posted:

I'm just watching this now and I can no longer defend this insane man who gets angry that YouTube rewards people who edit videos to ensure the viewer doesn't skip vast swaths of the content he admits is "boring". C'mon Phil.

Its hilarious that he outright says "And they cut out 3 and a half hours of stuff no one wants to see" and it doesn't dawn on him that yeah, no one wants to see him making zero progress for cumulative hours and they stop watching his videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Leal posted:

Its hilarious that he outright says "And they cut out 3 and a half hours of stuff no one wants to see" and it doesn't dawn on him that yeah, no one wants to see him making zero progress for cumulative hours and they stop watching his videos.

Here's the thing about audiences, from what I've seen: they don't need to see a boring segment to know it's boring; they will take your word for it. Also, they REALLY don't need to see 3 hours of it to "get the true experience".

I try to side with Phil, even knowing he has a Dark Side and jacks off on camera that some claim was for publicity, but this kind of intellectual dishonesty crosses the line for me!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

bobjr posted:

I'm surprised Phil didn't hop on the Crunchyroll/Lootcrate ship like a lot of people.

How are you not getting that this man actively avoids making good decisions at every turn by now?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

judge reinhold posted:

Here's the thing about audiences, from what I've seen: they don't need to see a boring segment to know it's boring; they will take your word for it. Also, they REALLY don't need to see 3 hours of it to "get the true experience".

I try to side with Phil, even knowing he has a Dark Side and jacks off on camera that some claim was for publicity, but this kind of intellectual dishonesty crosses the line for me!

Well I mean, he didn't exactly lose subs for jerking it on camera. Just saying.

bobjr posted:

I'm surprised Phil didn't hop on the Crunchyroll/Lootcrate ship like a lot of people.

I'm pretty sure he did loot crate, at least I recall someone saying he did.

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

For those of you who missed it SlowbeefDarksydeBeef streamed a two hour long rant about this subject last night.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/126241625

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAUY1J8KizU

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
His vlog channel has at least two loot crate unboxing so I think he already went in for the craze. I don't know how much it netted or helped him though.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Why would DSP need to have partnerships when he can make money hand over fist with contests where he gives away empty game boxes?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Jim Sterling can't catch a break. A company is now trying to take down one of his critical videos using Trademark law.

https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/838056452698816512

This video goes into more detail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3OnXjnIGA0

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I really want to like Jim Sterling; I like his writing, I like the stand he's taken on DMCA issues, and even how he's done it. But as soon as I see him standing at his hitler podium caressing himself with those leather (rubber?) gloves I just want to punch him and then wash my hand that punched him. I don't even know what it is, I bet I could hang out with even normally with no problem, I just can't watch his videos.

In non-punching related news, Slowbeef uploaded a video of him playing KLAX while discussing what it might mean for DSP to be fired from Machinima, and kind of explaining MCNs and other YouTuber concepts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnv5GB_xEwk

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Just have them open in another tab then? The visuals are secondary at most. He mainly appears on camera during the intro and outro anyway.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Also remember that Jim Sterling is a character, and that character is a response product of an industry's faults. You still don't have to like that character, but don't make the mistake of thinking that you're watching a person acting like themselves when they're presenting themselves as an authoritarian figure wielding a dildo bat behind a podium covered in Boglins.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
No I'm pretty sure thats how Jim actually is irl and he does indeed unironically gently caress pogs.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

No I'm pretty sure thats how Jim actually is irl and he does indeed unironically gently caress pogs.

Jim irl is the Corn Flakes Homonculus.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Scaramouche posted:

I really want to like Jim Sterling; I like his writing, I like the stand he's taken on DMCA issues, and even how he's done it. But as soon as I see him standing at his hitler podium caressing himself with those leather (rubber?) gloves I just want to punch him and then wash my hand that punched him. I don't even know what it is, I bet I could hang out with even normally with no problem, I just can't watch his videos.

In non-punching related news, Slowbeef uploaded a video of him playing KLAX while discussing what it might mean for DSP to be fired from Machinima, and kind of explaining MCNs and other YouTuber concepts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnv5GB_xEwk

Then just skip his Jimquisition stuff and consume his other content. That's the only thing he does where he plays that character; all of the other videos on his channel and the text reviews he does on his website are bereft of that.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Well, his Video Game Show What I've Done and Nitpick Theater videos have their own respective characters, I suppose, but the Jimpressions (née Squirty Plays), Early Jimpressions (Early Access Squirts), Best of Steam Greenlight and Greenlight Good Stuff series are just him shooting the poo poo generally, yeah. (Can't comment on Boglin Watch, I cannot bring myself to care about them.)

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Even if Jim really is playing a character in his "jimquisitions", I still think he acts really pretentious for an ex-games journalist. I assume he left The Escapist a year or so ago because he knew it was a sinking ship and only Yahtzee's keeping it afloat, he'd be better off putting that website out of its misery already.

Anyways, yes he does have some points on how lovely and corrupt publishers and the industry handles their games and treats their customers, but he keeps acting like a twat about it.

In other news, I heard VoidBurger was getting doxxed for some reason...and she's blocked anyone from seeing her tweets. Does anyone know what's going on here? (I found some 4chan post where someone from /v/ (I'm just guessing here) now hates Void, Chip, Kamoc, Geop, etc. because of something to do with gamergate probably, but that's old now.)

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 6, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Weird people were stalking her tweets and making weird theories about it. There's also a big conspiracy theory that she's "corrupted" Chip somehow, and blaming her for a big gap in Uncharted 4 updates. How she did it they don't say.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Waffleman_ posted:

Weird people were stalking her tweets and making weird theories about it. There's also a big conspiracy theory that she's "corrupted" Chip somehow, and blaming her for a big gap in Uncharted 4 updates. How she did it they don't say.

I'm guessing CheezBurger wasn't working out for them. Also is the Uncharted 4 LP still going?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Junior Jr. posted:

I'm guessing CheezBurger wasn't working out for them. Also is the Uncharted 4 LP still going?

The main game is finished so there's only the DLC, multiplayer and easter eggs left to show off I imagine.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Junior Jr. posted:

It wrapped up a while back. There will be a bonus video for unlockables and stuff, but Chip's day job ramped up a bunch right after he became the only video editor at his company.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

General Ironicus posted:

It wrapped up a while back. There will be a bonus video for unlockables and stuff, but Chip's day job ramped up a bunch right after he became the only video editor at his company.

why can't they just hire more staff? or just make saints row V already?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Junior Jr. posted:

In other news, I heard VoidBurger was getting doxxed for some reason...and she's blocked anyone from seeing her tweets. Does anyone know what's going on here? (I found some 4chan post where someone from /v/ (I'm just guessing here) now hates Void, Chip, Kamoc, Geop, etc. because of something to do with gamergate probably, but that's old now.)

It's because VoidBurger is a got danged SJW who ruined Let's Plays on SA by not voting for Donald Trump. The only rational course of action was to start stalking and doxxing her and pretty much anyone else who expressed a vague dislike for Trump in any way.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

turn off the TV posted:

It's because VoidBurger is a got danged SJW who ruined Let's Plays on SA by not voting for Donald Trump. The only rational course of action was to start stalking and doxxing her and pretty much anyone else who expressed a vague dislike for Trump in any way.

That is pretty weird, I get that she doesn't dig Trump but she's not like an extremist about it or anything (I hope).

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Junior Jr. posted:

That is pretty weird, I get that she doesn't dig Trump but she's not like an extremist about it or anything (I hope).

That's enough to be an extremist to a lot of the american and elsewhere right wing right now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

She's also a woman who has opinions on how women are treated in media, so.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Junior Jr. posted:

She's a somewhat outspoken leftish feminist with a small following, but more importantly she's a woman who makes videos about video games on the internet. So...

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Garrand posted:

She's a somewhat outspoken leftish feminist with a small following, but more importantly she's a woman who makes videos about video games on the internet. So...

I guess you can't have everything, there needs to be some flaws here and there. As long as she's not Sarkeesian/Quinn/Wu bad, she's somewhat tolerable.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Junior Jr. posted:

Yeah I don't really get it either, but I looked at the first post of the thread about her on the psycho stalker forum and everything I skimmed of it was whining about her political views.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

turn off the TV posted:

Yeah I don't really get it either, but I looked at the first post of the thread about her on the psycho stalker forum and everything I skimmed of it was whining about her political views.

I refuse to go to the forums itself but my favorite part that I've seen is the ones who are mourning the loss of chip and now are just hoping that he will escape from VB and come back to them or some dumb loving poo poo.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Apparently Proteus is there too.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Junior Jr. posted:

I guess you can't have everything, there needs to be some flaws here and there. As long as she's not Sarkeesian/Quinn/Wu bad, she's somewhat tolerable.

Sarkeesian and Quinn are extremely good tho.

Wu is a loon who thinks private space companies are going to hold us hostage with ballistic moon rocks.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Garrand posted:

I refuse to go to the forums itself but my favorite part that I've seen is the ones who are mourning the loss of chip and now are just hoping that he will escape from VB and come back to them or some dumb loving poo poo.

I miss the days of classic Chip and Ironicus, back when they were outspoken supporters of the alt-right and weren't afraid to insult LGBTQ people or use racial slurs, like they are now.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

MillennialVulcan posted:

Yeah, they did a pretty good job at tricking the media into thinking they're victims for problems they roped themselves into.

Sarkeesian pretending there's a problem with female game characters and Quinn for coaxing journalists to play her game even though no-one wanted to.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Junior Jr. posted:

Yeah, they did a pretty good job at tricking the media into thinking they're victims for problems they roped themselves into.

Ah yes, the old "You were actually asking for constant harassment and stalking" for the great sin of making videos about games.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

MillennialVulcan posted:

Wu is a loon who thinks private space companies are going to hold us hostage with ballistic moon rocks.

That doesn't strike me as being wholely crazy. I mean, it's what I'd do, if I had the capability.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Sarkeesian took an opportunity to discuss problems with the portrayal of women in video games and it made babies poo poo their diapers.

Quinn was the victim of a smear campaign by a jealous ex-boyfriend.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Junior Jr. posted:

Sarkeesian pretending there's a problem with female game characters and Quinn for coaxing journalists to play her game even though no-one wanted to.

How dare a woman say that she doesn't like lovely portrayals of women in video games. Just sickening. She deserves everything she gets for such a heinous crime.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

turn off the TV posted:

How dare a woman say that she doesn't like lovely portrayals of women in video games. Just sickening. She deserves everything she gets for such a heinous crime.

It was a double-edged sword with Sarkessian. The mockery of her thinking female game characters weren't "strong and independent enough" were fine and dandy but the death threats were definitely unnecessary, that ordeal didn't need to go that far. But then again the mockery also gave her more unneeded attention and she used it to her advantage when she discussed gamergate and misogyny online with the masses.

Everything about Quinn has already been brought up, she made a bunch of dumb flash games, then some text adventure game no one really cared about, and instead of just making more games and improving her skills like any other game dev, she proceeds to force some guy into reviewing it...among other things. I won't even bring up the helldump.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I thought the contention over VoidBurger had to do with the fact that she said something to Lowtax on Twitter, and he banned (or shadowbanned) her SA account. I heard the same thing happened to PsychedelicEyeball as well.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Those are the friendliest deliberate misrepresentations of what actually happened in those situations that I've ever read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

I thought the contention over VoidBurger had to do with the fact that she said something to Lowtax on Twitter, and he banned (or shadowbanned) her SA account. I heard the same thing happened to PsychedelicEyeball as well.

That was a thing that happened, but the terrible shitters were apparently already obsessing over her and others before that.

• Locked thread