Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Phantasium posted:

I thought it was hilarious that they tried the facecam thing for their Shitstorm videos and got so much hate for it that it only appeared in the first one. So glad their fanbase didn't go for that crap.

Pat has said before that he thinks facecams are stupid. He only put it in cause Matt insisted they try it at least once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Sundowner posted:

His "descriptions" are "astounding"...

...and to think I thought i've seen everything Youtube had to offer from the category of retarded.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Zain posted:

Well it didn't help that the person in the long play just LOOKED AT EVERYTHING even though nothing changes. It took like 10 minutes for him to run through the game looking at all these little things. It made that even more painful.

Even if the Longplayer was efficiently playing Darkseed 2, the view count would still gradually drop from the first video. Darkseed 2 probably isn't the best example to use anyway. Even with Slowbeef and Diabetus providing commentary, asking people to watch a lovely point and click adventure game for 7+ hours is pushing it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Saith posted:

Woah, wait, I thought one of them was Johntron? Did something happen?

Jontron quit a while ago.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Zain posted:

I'm more surprised there's a loving FACE CAM FOR THIS! Like seriously why even do that at this point? It's like doing a face came while wearing a mask. What's the loving point?

For the horror! Can't you see how terrified he is?!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

SirSamVimes posted:

I can't find the channel for Two Best Friends, just their Machinima stuff. Can anyone direct me?

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSw1tcher?feature=watch

There you go.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

frozentreasure posted:

It's a strange problem that people have, reading text aloud and not being able to actually parse it. I'd be interested to find out why that's the case someday.

It's usually cause they have no worthwhile commentary and think reading the dialogue makes up for it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
A taste of what's to come:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSMGEa4gFnY

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

SelenicMartian posted:

Did I miss a video, or some back story, or is it just sheer luck that NintendoCapriSun hasn't been featured in RPs?

He's been mentioned in a RP, and that's about it from what I can remember.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpMUdQAFyaM&feature=player_detailpage - 4:48

Edit: \/\/\/ - SirRonLionHeart - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm1IBHlI-Og

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 21, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I STILL can't make it through that one. It's even worse than Chip's/Ironicus' RP of the guy who made his own anime girl.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA_VUoePgrc

The true Shitstorm of Scariness begins.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Highwang posted:

Edit: Who the heck is Arab Reach Media and why did they get so frustrated with B2S? I know David Cage is detached from reality but the middle east segment of that game wasn't THAT Bad.

Maybe it had something to do with Ellen Page being manipulated to kill a democratically elected President in that video?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaOxmg2Pm1A

Woolie getting trolled never gets old.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
He's literally the Internet equivalent of the Seinfeld cast - he genuinely deserves to be thrown in jail just for being a horrible person.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ChaosArgate posted:

I don't know how clever you think you can be when you have several videos that are at least 90% of a game installing.

DSP genuinely thinks he's a good person and that every game he sucks at is the fault of the developers. Trust me, as far as he is concerned he's the most clever man on the planet.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

RSCNyx posted:

Well, this exists. I don't really know why it does, but there you go.

If you survive beyond the first minute, you're stronger than most.

I made it to 1:30. I can only hope Slowbeef/Diabetus make it tolerable.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADs6l9E0HyU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjOWt1rBw1E

The fanbase of Super Best Friends are loving nuts...and rich if these two videos are anything to go by.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

mcclay posted:

Any good Let's Plays for Dark Souls II? I would watch Northern Lion's but he skips all the dialogue.

EpicNameBro would be your best bet right now for a quality DS2 LP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GartaU-2-2c

Obvious spoilers.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

TARDISman posted:

End credits have a remix of Simple and Clean called Rape and Raping.

Didn't he give up using rape as a "joke" word after getting RP'd and the follow-up complaining from a chunk of his subs?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

RSCNyx posted:

It's just a loving parody video on the internet, man! Why the hell would you say something like that?!

Cause he's a lovely human being. This has been established for years now.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Lazyfire posted:

I think it'll be harder for companies to do that with single player games without putting out a lot of the plot points or giving away parts of the game with that sort of video, so it'll probably happen forever with multiplayer games, but I doubt you'll see like, the 2 Best Friends channel doing a promotion for like Arkham Knight later this year.

Especially since they've already said in a podcast that they're getting sick of the Arkham games and that they could care less about the Batmobile. :v:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Jamesman posted:

As for Pewdiepie himself, it seems like a similar amount of people in both groups found him enjoyable.

I'm gonna guess that those video montages were cherry-picked to exclude PDP's "rape" moments if anyone managed to find them even remotely enjoyable.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

RSCNyx posted:

Also, blind LPs. Do you think they have any potential for anything? I personally feel they should be avoided, like this one...why does he keep calling it a scroll fighter?!

Blind LPs totally have potential to be just as great as anything made with post-commentary. Two Best Friends on Youtube do this on a semi-regular basis, where either Matt or Pat will have prior experience with a game but the other is the one actually playing.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

unfair posted:

The only time I've seen PewDiePie is on the Polaris main channel - he's done some videos gaming with other people and seemed pretty competent. Is he really not on his own channel? I ask because it feels like a lot of what people say about him is secondhand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFbVKL-Meo0

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

muike posted:

I think they were really sick of people sending them weird bullshit swords, but they did in fact get the bad dragon dildo that they wished for

I don't think the swords were the issue so much as it was just the immense volume that kept coming in every week. They figured it would eventually taper down some but if anything it got worse. You could tell that it was getting really out of hand when they got two blu-ray collections of Gurren Lagann, which retails for about 600 dollars each.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Suspicious Dish posted:

They'd still probably beat it before Proton Jon does, too. Whatever happened to that thread?

Slowbeef banned him from making anymore Superman 64 threads cause his updates were basically non-existent.

Just to give you some perspective on how slow he is, the last video update was Jan 31, 2013.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Why would anyone watch a Sonic 2006 LP that isn't pokecapn's LP of it anyway?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

HGH posted:

I hear this all the time and while yes, it is kinda entertaining just because of how bad the game is, the LP itself is... well, annoying and grating at times. Despite knowing the context behind it and them doing it all in one go. Maybe I'm just averse to all the yelling. I mean, I still watched it all the way through and enjoyed it, but at times it got really grating.
When someone LPs an incredibly bad game, I think it works best with dry wit or the patented "person who is experienced and knowledgeable about the game with person/people who aren't" formula, because the latter's reaction is always pretty great.

Fair enough. I've personally always had a soft spot for that LP so i've never found it as grating as you describe.

Nidoking posted:

I'm not very fond of this attitude. You may really love something, but I don't think that's ever a good reason to stifle creativity. Just because something is the best of its kind that you can imagine, it doesn't mean there's no merit to any others, nor that it's impossible to improve upon the idea.

I didn't mean to imply that I think creativity should be stifled. I just haven't seen another LP of Sonic 2K6 that hit all the right notes for me like pokecapn's LP did. I'd loved to be proven wrong though if anyone has a personal preference.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

HGH posted:

So every now and then Two Best Friends play some really weird game for a one-off, like terrible hunting or Japanese games, but for some reason I feel compelled to post this because I really do wonder who the hell the developers were trying to appeal to. Is the "urban gangsta" crowd really much of a target audience?

I think "wannabe wigga" is a better term for the crowd that game is trying to attract.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

chitoryu12 posted:

I think what would really help Phil's LPs would be a co-commentator. Not some friend on a Skype call, but an actual person sitting on the couch next to him who knows the game properly and points out all his mistakes. Unlike an internet argument, Phil can't just mute the guy and ignore him to avoid looking bad, while the guy can point out his stupidity right to his face until he finally learns in a Pavlovian manner to accept advice.

You're still only solving half the problem. You can give Phil the best advisers on the planet, but that means nothing if Phil is too incompetent to actually follow through with said advice. One famous example is in his Demon's Souls LP where the chat told him to fight the Fat Officials with melee so you don't have to worry about the fireball attacks. He promptly died cause he sucks at Souls games, and then immediately started calling the chat idiots for giving him "bad advice".

Also, Phil would never admit that something is his fault, co-commentator or not. Every time he gets stuck at something, he truly believes that it's because of lovely game design and starts trash-talking the devs.

Edit: \/\/\/ - I can't find it on Youtube, so looks like that's a no.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 6, 2014

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BMS posted:

we should feel bad

I feel bad...for Washington state.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

In character i always kill Solaire because i'm tired of his poo poo :colbert:

The correct way to do it is kill him and then take all your stuff back since you are the real Solaire. :v:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Afraid of Audio posted:

What if pokemon had guns?

That's Blastoise. :v:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
It's like Youtube is begging me to use adblocker at this point.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

valkhorn posted:

Anything else? I mean you could at least make fun of my trailers or something. Or hey, what about making fun of the games I'm doing? Surely you haven't done that in a while. I know you're itching to go there.

EDIT: Or hey what about my view count? Nobody seems to be making fun of that. You could even be original and call me a nerd.

You realize that every post you make is just making it worse for yourself, right?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BMS posted:

Oh, hey Valkhorn, what is up bro?

You laugh now but wait until his rabid and enormous fanbase comes after you.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Disappointing Pie posted:

Can this be a recommendation thread? I love loving funny rear end group LP's. Don't hate me but I love the Achievement Hunter / Rooster Teeth crew and their Worms, Madden, Minecraft LP's and the like because they are hilarious as a group and play off each other so well. Also sites like Giantbomb, basically good personalities doing LP's.

Any ideas?

Two Best Friends/Super Best Friends on Youtube is my go-to for funny group LPs. It's usually not all four of them present at the same time but you can basically mix-n-match any of them and still be entertained. Here's a montage video of a month-long series they did last year of wrestling games. It'll give you a good idea of what to expect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tJl-ni3v8M

Edit: They have a website too: http://superbestfriendsplay.com/

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 21, 2014

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

JordanKai posted:

Hahahaha what the hell am I seriously listening to a metal remix of loving Green Greens!?

2BF's original video was Kirby's Epic Yarn, so they figured it would be appropriate to have Green Greens as their theme. After that though they kept it since it usually had a lot of ironic hilarity to whatever they were actually playing.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ReturnOfFable posted:

I have never played any of the Souls series and after seeing how crazy the fanbase is, I probably won't. Doesn't even look like I am missing much to be honest.

You're missing a lot. Don't let a few rabid people keep you from playing great games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

IGgy IGsen posted:

So uh... Dark Souls and DSP.
What else aren't we supposed to talk about here anymore? DSP playing Dark Souls?

It still amazes me that every time he would get invaded in a Souls game, he would suicide himself and then act smug as if he somehow "won".

• Locked thread