Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I've no objection to it in text or online, but saying it in real life is literally saying 'I am laughing now' instead of actually laughing.
People actually type/say "lol" when they are actually laughing? I thought it was just a way of telling someone that you acknowledge they made a joke (even if it wasn't necessarily enough to make them literally laugh).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Tid [pronounced like Cid]-us [use without an e]

Sounds almost like he was trying to pronounce it like a Latin word.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Patter Song posted:

Nah, if it were proper Latin it'd be Teed-oose.

Indeed, hence "trying". v:v:v

It's just that the comment just put me in mind of a guy I used to know, who insisted he was great at Latin but had the weirdest pronunciation. A DSP of classics, if you will.

How do you guys feel about dubstep? If you're at least tolerant of it, this guy Fluxtrance does some really quite good Rollercoaster Tycoon series videos. He spends a lot of time on scenery and the results look fantastic. If you can't stand dubstep, he usually doesn't narrate his videos except at the beginning and end, so nothing much is lost from muting them.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Zedd posted:

This is insane, in a good way. :stare: I loved RCT3 and even used some custom stuff but this man is on another level.

Is there anybody like this (great design work and layouts. Not actual optimal numbers sperging) out there for the Anno games?

Not that familiar with the Anno community. The only guy I can think of that might fit your description is Nanosuit Ninja. He's got about 20 hours of Anno 2070 "Ironman" footage (not sure what that would mean), and he's working on a 1404 game now (albeit slowly).

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
For those who like his stuff, NsN is starting a Human Revolution Ironman run.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Who is NsN and what does it mean when he does an Ironman run of a game?

Sorry, I ought to have explained.

NsN stands for Nanosuit Ninja. Basically, he does one-life playthroughs of games: if he dies, he deletes the save and has to start from the beginning. It's a skill-based playthrough, so he's less concerned about showing off the game like in a traditional LP. If that's your thing, I recommend checking out his stuff.

He plays the Crysis games on the hardest difficulty level and makes it look easy.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
I haven't watch all of his stuff, but I haven't seen him die yet. On the other hand, I don't get the impression that he pre-records either. As far as I can tell, he's just really good (and lucky).

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

Why would you ever want to make youtube comments?

What if someone in the video comment section is wrong about something? I need to be able to correct them.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Polsy posted:

(half the counter-arguments on that page are 'I'm not actually watching the video')

Surely the obvious counter-argument is that viewers on low resolutions may not be able to read the text even if they pause the video? I personally find it very annoying if the LPer reads text out loud, but I figure I'd find it more annoying if I couldn't know what was going on because I had lovely internet.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Dias posted:

Alternatively, the British Empire enslaved and "colonized" a bunch of countries around the world for the longest time, so are you that surprised that people associate your accent with evilness?

It's not like I personally care either way, but surely by that logic, everyone would be casting Turks as villains all the time.

I always assumed it was something to do with the perception of sophistication. Someone told me it was a result of all those WW2 movies having the Germans acted by British actors (or speaking with British accents) to differentiate them from the Allies, who spoke with American accents, but since I haven't watched many war movies, I have no idea if this is true or not. v:v:v

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
I think you guys are reading a little too much into what sounds like an offhand remark. What he said could just as easily apply to people playing video games instead of watching them. :shrug:

Didn't he make a mini video essay a while back when BBC Newsnight put out that super-patronising report on Twitch? It's not like it's the first time he's done this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Jamesman posted:

He's saying that you wouldn't DARE to think of a predominantly Asian country being forced to assimilate to white culture, yet here in White America, we're being asked to assimilate and submitting without a fight! HOW WEIRD IS THAT?!

Even though white people totally did force parts of Asia to assimilate to white cultures in the past, and through natural spread of cultures and ideas as a whole, you totally do see plenty of westernization in the east BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT THERE IS SOMETHING BAD HAPPENING AND YOU WOULD BE A FOOL NOT TO SEE IT!

I think, on the Right, there is a perception that there is a double standard at play. Certainly on places like Twitter, there are plenty of comments that XYZ is "too white" or has "too many white people", and if that's your environment, and impression of the Left, you're going to start projecting that onto news articles and other mainstream opinions.

Anyway, I think the main disconnect going on is that the Left sees race as... well... genetics, but the Right quite often uses and sees race as a shorthand to culture, which is what it's principally concerned with. Nine times out of ten, when someone on the Right criticises Muslims, what they really object to is the culture that is spreading through the Middle East. What's more, the further from the centre you go, the more likely you are to see people who think race and culture are inextricably linked, which is literally why white supremacists are still a thing--whites built the entire Western world so why wouldn't they be the best race? (Although I think some white supremacists think Asians are even better, given the Asian nations' astonishing pace of industrialisation.)

The Left's problem is that it projects white supremacist thought patterns onto the moderate Right. I get it--being outraged about something literally gives you a dopamine rush, but it's extremely unhelpful for actual cogent political debate. The Right, for its part, needs to stop using such sloppy rhetoric and stop assuming that everyone knows what they mean and that the Left is just disingenuous.

Since we're talking about Steve King, note that when asked to walk his statement back, he doubled down, but did make it clear he was talking about culture, not race/genetics.

Sorry if this post is boring, but I'm getting a bit sick of seeing everyone getting called a white supremacist, since it cheapens the term and makes it less powerful.

• Locked thread