Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
More like somebody who's learned how to make their voice sound deeper and more "manly", but only if they speak really loudly. It's obnoxious and off-putting, and not nearly as cool as they think. The rambling comes from the fact that they are playing some sort of lovely content-less horror game, and using live commentary full of wacky "reaction shots". ALso, why would you use scarecam when wearing VR goggles that obscure your face anyway?

Actually it reminds me a lot of slowbeef's BFF Total Biscuits' vocal mannerisms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Their facecam is more often than not larger than the postage-stamp sized video of the game they are playing. That's all you need to know in order to make a judgment.

Hint: It's garbage. Unless you are obsessed with the D-list celebrity Felicia Day and her confusion over basic video game mechanics, I guess.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Slowbeef posted:

Can you give us an example where you think it works particularly well?

SGF played through two text-only Choose Your Own Adventure books, and it was actually quite good. However, that's mostly because he works off of the base material instead of just reading it verbatim. Also, it helps that those books are a mixture of bad and cheesy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaYLW-95ka8

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lazyfire posted:

Who wants to talk about YouTube randomly putting 3rd party content acknowledgement requests against videos?

thepostgame, for those of you who have lives and don't know every random YouTube Networks is a YouTube Let's Player network that apparently claimed part of Batman: Arkham City for themselves. How they got to do that is beyond me.

The content matching system isn't perfect, and it will often attribute ownership to wrong people. The owner of the account most likely doesn't know you were flagged.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Those people are owned by Google, without that guarantee of certain discretionary standards, no corporation would touch them with a ten feet pole.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

gschmidl posted:

I've not watched anything else by mynameisnotlilly other than his Wasteland LP, but that is one of the few off-SA Let's Plays I've really enjoyed. Tons of editing and incorporation of the text originally only provided in the booklet turns it into more of an expertly narrated story than a "classic" LP, but I found it a great way to experience the game. Would also work as an audiobook.

The Wasteland LP is good, but his other stuff... Bleh. I tried watching a Fallout LP of his - he played blind and spent like 20 minutes trying to figure out why his STR 1 AGL 1 character couldn't hit a rat.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Klobbinator posted:

I've sat through hours of horrible movies and I couldn't even make it through 20 seconds of that thing. I don't believe there's any sort of entertainment value in watching some chumps showcasing themselves with a videogame in the background. That being said, I'm obviously wrong, since guys like these are apparently all the rage in youtube LPing.

I started watching them because Youtube recommended one of their Deadly Premonition videos - and yes, they are too loud, obnoxious and often crass... But they usually know stuff about the game they are playing, and talk about it in some detail. They aren't as bad as the Game Grumps kind of jackassery.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

HGH posted:

Speaking of Minecraft, I figured this was the best place to ask, but how the hell did the Yogcast ever get popular? I tried to watch some of their stuff because everyone can't stop singing their praises but it felt unbearably unfunny, obnoxious, or flat out boring. What exactly am I missing here?

They originally made casual gameplay videos, and were kinda funny, in a subdued, dry way. Then the catch-phrases started to pile up, they began over-playing their characters, and instead of just playing the game with some narrative elements thrown in, they started inventing contrived, tedious plotlines that lacked any wit and dragged on forever.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Onean posted:

Old YouTube comments are useless. New YouTube comments are now slightly less useless due to some new moderation tools available to video uploaders, if they actually start to use them.

If anything, they are even less useful because every popular comment section seems to be full of random people just reposting the video on Google+, and their friends replying "Lol funneh". In the past you could at least find few funny comments in the top rated section.

Unless you have a Google + acco... HAHAHAHA

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ramengank posted:

The meanings of a lot of textspeak have become diluted. Among my friends 'lmao' and 'rofl' mean you got maybe a slight chuckle or smirk out of them.

Lol means "I can't be bothered to come up with a response, but I feel I should post one."

Seshoho Cian posted:

I feel like Video Games Awesome has their ups and downs, but man their GTA Online show was brilliant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM8FViWVYoQ

I don't understand why these people seem to get so much positive feedback on these forums. Their gimmick of covering 90% of the screen with unnecessary, overproduced distractions is the worst kind of horseshit, and I personally find them and their chatter even less stomachable than goddamn PDP.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 9, 2013

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'd like to recommend the ongoing Two Best Friends LP of I Have No Mouth. I've tried watching other takes on this game in the past, but generally the presenters were more focused on nitpicking arbitrary aspects instead of focusing on the story and symbolism, aka its main draw.

So it's a surprise that these guys, notorious for being loud and obnoxious, are able to play through it in a pretty level headed manner, and aren't afraid to base their commentary mostly on analysis of the plot and characters.

(I get the feeling most other LPers are uncomfortable with the subject matter and feel obligated to make jokes even when there's little potential for them, and as a consequence their commentary gets superficial and completely removed from the actual content of the game - yes, I'm talking about Retsupurae, amongst others).

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Per a European Court of Justice ruling made in 2009 any charitable donation made within the EU borders, including cross border givings, to a NGO capable of providing a valid charitable status must be treated as constituting a basis for tax deduction. Though based on Sweden's tax laws the maximum deduction per person i less than 1000 dollars.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 8, 2014

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dr. Buttass posted:

Matt and Pat are actually quite knowledgeable about the games they play, they just have loud obnoxious voices to say it with.

Fair enough. It's just that when they are less agitated they seem to be - quite understandably, really - more coherent and less likely to talk over each other, which goes a long way to make their ideas stand out.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I'm sure that the current generation will be worse off than the generations that grew up on slightly different completely retarded poo poo like comic books, wrestling, toy-selling cartoons or Pokémon. Parents have always been terrible, and mass media have been super exploitative for decades. Also Bill Hicks is terrible.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
gently caress you, Phil Fish, how dare you say that loser freeloaders shouldn't make money off of your work?

It's completely irrelevant if you bought a game because of an LP, or if ten thousand people bought a game because of an LP. If a person doesn't want his intellectual property to be used by others for commercial purposes, it should be their natural prerogative.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Why should some sort of utilitarian calculation matter at all in the area of property rights?

I find it quite disturbing how quickly the rhetoric on monetized LPs shifted to apparently them being completely justified, infallible as a concept and a human right or something. Instead of being barely above piracy and sustainable only because of Google's marketing arm.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Again, how does that figure into the right of the owner of the property to control its use in the commercial domain? If I bootleg a movie, causing some people to buy a higher quality blu-ray to enjoy the film properly, am I a hero for creating publicity for the studio?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It just shows that the argument "LPs create demand for games" is completely worthless. Specific individuals have highly contradictory preferences - some prefer passive consumption of media, some have biases against certain styles of gameplay, some follow LPs because of cost aversion - and unless you can make a reasonably authoritative aggregate model of your market you can't say that LPs give you more customers.

Jamesman posted:

The problem here is that the issue is really about on one big, broad category (media featuring video game content), but people narrow down discussion to different categories (like you talking about monetized LPs on Youtube)
From the outset the point of the debate has been about LP royalties, which only makes sense in the case of monetized LPs.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Are you absolutely sure about that? Film and music industries seem to have achieved a reasonably operational level of control over fair use of their material, despite relying on the same providers and technologies. You could argue that films and music are easier to detect, but I think it's a matter of degree, not of principle when it comes to enforcing.

Also, if indie authors regardless of industry are unable to achieve control over their intellectual property, that points towards a serious deficiency in Google's system; it doesn't legitimize acts alienating basic property rights.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
kill you're family while playing slender for more views

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
still waiting for my pdp bodypillow, just sayin

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Totalbiscuit isn't funny either

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ninjahedgehog posted:

Incidentally (and I'm honestly not trying to be an rear end in a top hat here, I'm just curious) can anyone explain the appeal of truck/train simulators to me? Euro Truck has a gigantic gold-rated thread in Games, and all of these games have literally thousands of dollars of DLC EACH, so there's got to be some appeal to doing a mundane, everyday job that I can't wrap my head around.

It's literally just a time sink with some basic behavioralist conditioning . All defenses and recommendations of that "genre" boil down to "me play, number go higher, me do good".

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Lots of games, yeah. But these predominantly German simulators are as close to Cookie Clicker levels of doing a thing for its own sake as it gets.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Jimmy Savile of this generation.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So you are saying you don't need tricks to see underage boobs.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

watho posted:

It's a FYAD posting a really obvious troll in the let us play subforum and somehow still getting reactions.

Lol, Suspicious Dish is a better poster than most people itt combined, hth.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

GNU Order posted:

Slowbeef, thanks for introducing me to Tasty Tuesday, this is amazing. Hearing billy talk about giving shout outs to people who are "loyal to him and his channel" had me in loving stitches

I'm also incredibly excited for BillyMC to open up his Jurassic Park diary and talk about his childhood.

I'm genuinely shocked by how BillyMC looks. In a good way, though.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Monicro posted:

Pewdiepie is making 7 million per year and even B-list guys like 2 best friends have to be getting enough to split 4 ways

People making money off of LP / video game footage at all is a travesty, and not something I could ever condone by giving it a fancy title (otoh - people who use the term "job creators" tend to be assholes, so maybe there's legitimate use for "content creators" to parallel that)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

chitoryu12 posted:

Nobody should ever make money for anything. Capitalism is a sham. The state will provide. Please report to the nearest decommissioning center for processing.

This, but unironically.

judge reinhold posted:

It costs money to buy video games, better audio equipment, hosting, chicken nuggets, etc. Is there a reason people shouldn't attempt to break even if they can?

Hoping to recoup costs isn't the same as becoming a professional content creator, though. I mean, if somebody organizes a party and asks for some money for all the food and drinks they bought, they aren't getting paid for organizing parties, are they.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

judge reinhold posted:

This is nuance absent from the original quote, being "People making money off of LP / video game footage at all is a travesty".

I dunno, I think that making money implies making profit, but hey, if I'm going to judge people, I may as well judge as many of them as possible.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

IGgy IGsen posted:

If I could make a living playing video games for the internet or by doing anything I consider a hobby I would.
And I'm pretty sure you would too unless you suffer from some severe self-loathing, maybe, and you don't want to enjoy what you're doing. In that case I'm sorry.

"If you don't want to spend your life playing video games, you hate yourself." - Iggy Igsen, tyool 2014

Anyway, my problem isn't in it being / not being fun, but in parasiting on somebody else's work. But this isn't the blasting zone and I don't want to get banned, so I guess just read the BZ archived thread for exhaustive converage of this incisive social issue.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 15, 2014

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Stux posted:

doing drawing or music or whatever else for a living is not more reliable or easier to break into or anything else than LPing in any form. at least LPs are ad based revenue so you don't get people constantly advertising "jobs" expecting you to work for "exposure"

That's actually the best argument for monetized LP I've seen so far.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

So then busking is not a job and people cannot make a living wage by entertaining people on the street?

In many jurisdictions (dunno about the USA, speaking from the EU point of view) it would be considered panhandling and illegal or at least a misdemeanor, so quite likely the answer is "No, it's not."

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Stux posted:

we shouldn't be looking for publishers and devs to give permission, because you can bet that if they do they will also start controlling who can use them and who can't based on if they are positive enough or not. there doesn't need to be any permission, they are not losing any money, and the only way it will harm them is if they make a lovely game, in which case: make better loving games.

its an original product, just because it contains video footage of the game is irrelevant, a game isn't just video footage in the first place, and by adding something of their own to it its a new piece of work. its not even analogous to remixes etc because they are within the same domain of music, so that would be like someone making a new game from parts of an old one. we should not be looking at people who have a vested interest in how LPed games are presented to be arbiters of what is or isn't allowed.

never mind that there is a strong argument for all LPs to fall under fair use of either commentary, parody, criticism, reporting or a mix of all of them.

Would it be okay to sell unauthorized audiobook recordings of popular novels? After all, a novel isn't spoken word. And you could go one step further and take the existentialist position that a text alone doesn't contain meaning without it being anchored in the world by a human consciousness, therefore reading a novel is a creative act. Yet I do not feel the proposed scheme would be moral.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Of course it does. The choice of an actor, foley, transitional effects, pacing... can change the tone to such an extent that reading the book on your own can end up being a diametrically different experience. In fact it could be argued that the shift between a book and an audiobook is the same as the shift between a game and an LP. You lose the ability to place focus on the parts you find interesting, the extremely important deliberate quality of reading is irrevocably lost, the whole piece of work becomes presented through somebody else's point of view, directed according to their view of literal significance, and twisted to fit the medium of audio drama rather than the original medium.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 21, 2014

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Not really. Both examples fit the same criteria of transformative work, but only one has people being all righteous about turning their hobby into a profession.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
That's a really naive view. Like saying that all a drama has is its script and it doesn't matter who is tasked with making a particular study of it.

Or all a game has is gameplay and by seeing gameplay you experience it equally to the player.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The selling part is the problem part.

Of course. That's why reacted to a post that argued that video game publishers should have no say in regulating footage of their games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cheez posted:

"Naive", says the one arguing that a videogame is a rigid, linear experience where nothing can be added or removed through LP that would set it apart from personally playing it. I'm going to say this again: A book won't change if someone else is reading it. There's a lot wrong with your approach here.

Have you actually ever read a book.

• Locked thread