Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Wow, I didn't think I'd ever find an abuse of punctuation that makes you look even more obnoxious than sincere use of tons of exclamation points!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Law posted:

Okay yeah, more googling says that some sketchy internet detective work went on to dig that up.

Even if it is legit, while skeevy, it may be legal in his state. 16 is the age of consent in quite a few places even in the US.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Obviously this "Something Awful" person is a LPer on the scale of Pewdiepie or DarkSydePhil

I'm still trying to figure out who this "Internet" guy is. I think he's related to Mr. Microsoft.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 11, 2013

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

HotAndColdAF posted:

I pretty much just watch speedrunners on Twitch, and the thing about speedrun streams is that the gameplay footage gets very repetitive very quickly. I mean, the whole thing about speedrunning is playing the same game over and over and over, but trying to get it done faster this time. Even the coolest trick gets old to watch once you've seen it about a dozen times just today.

So basically, if you're watching a speedrunner on a regular basis, even if they're running your favorite game on the face of the planet, you're not watching for the game anymore by that point. The continuing entertainment factor comes from the runner, either through their interaction with the game, or, much more commonly, their ongoing dialogue with their viewers in Twitch's chat. And dialogue tends to be a bit more engaging when you can actually see the person you're talking to.

Of course, this only works for live streaming. It's not appropriate for, like, LP's on YouTube or whatever.

I dunno, I've watched some of Cosmo's streams, and the facecam isn't much better than the game. It's still just repetitive gamerface, followed by a strained face when button mashing. The only non-game thing I really like on the screen is the splits (obviously only applicable to speedrunning).

For speedrunning though, isn't it supposed to add validity or something to the run? I know some speedrun sites require some sort of confirmation that runs are "valid" (not Tool-assisted), and I think the live cam aids in that proof. I mean, established speedrunner probably don't need it because nobody is going to doubt Cosmo broke the WW world record by 30 seconds, but by the time you're that established it's probably become enough of a staple of the stream that it's hard to get rid of.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Lazyfire posted:

I can't explain the depths of my hatred for people reading on screen text out loud. I guess it is a strange thing to hate, but among bad LP habits it ranks up there with never editing out boring video and playing games on day one (which leads to a lot of the former). It's not necessary and it is rarely funny.

The one thing I've noticed fairly often with people who read out every bit of text is that they forget the thing they read out loud moments before. I was watching someone play Guacamelee when I wasn't sure what it was and the game tells them the technique they need to use to beat an enemy. Four minutes of trial and error later they stumbled upon it by accident and expressed disbelief that the game didn't tell them what to do.

I just hate being read to in general. It's kind of okay in a classroom setting "<x> would you read <this passage> for us?" But outside of that it always feels kind of patronizing and I can always read faster than the person can speak (coherently at least).

I also hate reading to people because it feels like I'm patronizing them, but also because as you hinted at, I have almost no reading comprehension when I read out loud. I can read pages of text out loud and have no clue what the hell what I just read. I have this problem when it's silent reading too, but only if I'm really tired or disinterested, it's almost all the time out loud. Something about focusing on forming words out loud just kills my ability to understand anything.

e: And voice acting text could work fine... if you're like Tara Strong or something. Unfortunately most people aren't professional voice actors. And they don't know the difference between voice acting and making terrible voices. I was at a con once at a Q&A panel for a voice actor, and the sheer amount of people trying to introduce themselves to her with terrible voices was kind of embarrassing.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 17, 2013

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Speaking of Chugga, I never know what to make of him. He seems like a cool dude and doesn't have most of the problems most Youtube LPers have. I watched both of his Pikmin LPs, which means I can at least tolerate him, but he has so many quirks that are kind of annoying to me.

He also reads text in funny voices, but that's not really my main problem. I don't know I feel like I want to watch more of his stuff, but I can't really marathon him. I really need to just watch small doses. I think some of his quirks would work better if I were sitting on a couch with him, but watching him monologue to the internet they feel kind of silly/overly-manic sometimes.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The thing about MageKnight is that it's kind of :psyduck: how much technical talent and effort he put into all that stuff. He could be making amazing things, but then he makes... that. I really hope he finds some way to channel all that talent into something kickass in the future.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

dijon du jour posted:

Narrative text LP's are already frequently done here on SA, so I don't think it would be... impossible... to make a good narrative video LP.
It speaks well of his voice acting ability that it took Slowbeef and Diabetus a while to figure out that Hilda was being voiced by him, I guess. And you have to commend him for his ability to make up most of this dialogue on the spot, as cringe-inducing as said dialogue was. (At least I think it was made up on the spot? There were a few points in the video where he definitely seemed to not know what was going to happen next.)

I wonder if he's done anything more recently. I'm kind of interested to see what he would put out now that no longer a dumb, horny teenager.

I think Freeman's Mind might qualify as a good narrative video Let's Play of Half-Life. Though admittedly the line between "narrative video LP" and "Machinima" gets rather thin.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The reason narrative VLPs are dangerous is because you have to be a decent writer and a competent voice actor. The former is rare, but doable, the latter is almost nonexistent. The intersection of those two sets is small on its own, and filtering it down to only people who would be interested in doing a VLP in the first place gives you like 20 people in the history of forever.

e: With good enough writing and awareness of your limits, you can kind of work around the "competent voice actor" part. I think that's why the few that work are about complete sociopaths, because then they don't really have to have much of a range beyond "crazy" and "angry."

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 23, 2013

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Another Person posted:

This is definitely more on the side of Machinima - he flat out cheats pretty often for the purpose of his story and for jokes, which is probably a good thing, because this is probably the only Machinima I find where the early episodes still stand up to scratch. Every now and then I will watch something I used to like and think "God, what sort of retard was I to like this?", but this doesn't seem to do that. Hell, I would say that the newer episodes are not quite as good as the old ones. As someone who has been half following this since episode two, from what feels like an era ago, the guy seems to be getting a bit worse at it. The last few episodes just did not have the same charm as the earlier ones - or maybe the game is just getting too repetitive at this point for him to make fresher material.

Well, good Let's Plays also do editing to keep it not boring. The line between "narrative VLP" and "machinima" are so thin because you basically have to cut things or cheat to keep it interesting in some games. I think for Freeman's Mind it's a distinction without a difference, but maybe that's just me.

e:
vvvvv FWIW, I don't think Ross Scott (the creator of Freeman's Mind) considers FM real Machinima. His actual Machinima is stuff that uses assets from games (mostly HL2) and FM is more of a side project. I'd agree that playing through the game and making jokes, even in character is more LP-ish, but the line is definitely more blurry here.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 23, 2013

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The internet just hates promotion. A lot. I've read a couple stories about game developers getting turned on by Reddit and such in the blink of an eye just because they had the gall to announce that their product was for pay rather than free.

I definitely think disclosure is important, though this is more true of reviewers like TB than it is of LPers. But I think a lot of it is that they simply realize the reality of the situation that the internet will mulch you if you dare to participate in promoting a business or product.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
This is kind of random, but I really don't get LPers who enable game modes where you can only have one save file. It seems like you're just begging to lose 3 hours of footage and be unable to rerecord it.

It's possible I'm just too paranoid, though, since I don't think I've ever actually seen a series die in the middle because of this happening.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Mega64 posted:

Sometimes games only have one save file and there's no easy way to back up. I've seen LPs where the LPer lost a save file, but the LPs usually recover whether from someone else taking over or the LPer simply replaying all the way back.

I always back up many of my saves, since there's been times I went to an earlier save to show something off I missed or just learned about.

That's valid, but not quite what I'm getting at. If you're playing Pokemon then you have your one save file. And some games have one-life challenges and stuff. To show that obviously you have to run into a lovely situation and suck up the game-enforced single save limitation.

I'm talking more about people who play X-Com or Mount & Blade and explicitly put it on Ironman. Literally the only thing it does is locks you to one save file. There are no effects on difficulty, content, or anything else. This is different from, say, Minecraft or Diablo 3 Hardcore where it autosaves every 3 seconds anyway and there's a major difference in death consequences (and in Diablo, drop rates).

It just seems like a better policy would be to say "for purposes of this LP I won't be savescumming, but I'm not enabling ironman so I can keep multiple saves for recording purposes."

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 17, 2014

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

ninjahedgehog posted:

For the record, I think swatting is a deplorable act that wastes taxpayer dollars and police resources and the people who make the fake calls ought to do some time for it.

But how loving funny would it be to watch it happen to DSP? "NOTHING I COULD DO, OFFICER!"

"What? They put you in handcuffs? How are you supposed to get out of them!? You're supposed to get a lawyer before talking to the police!? How was I supposed to know that? This is bullshit!"

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
PewDiePie is actually pretty good at PR, I'm not surprised that if he really thought the comments on his videos were harming his image he'd close them. Obviously there's still the elephant in the room of "maybe look at the rape jokes you make before condemning the comments section", but whatchagonnado?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Roman Reigns posted:

I thought he quit making rape jokes...?

Did he? Good for him then, I wasn't aware! (I mean that in earnest)

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

SirShakes posted:

It seems like a character based Let's Play would be better if you had a persona who fit with the game more, and actually made jokes.

Just watch Freeman's Mind, though one may consider it more on the "Machinima" side than the "LP" side, especially since he subtly uses the flying cheat and some creative editing to skip boring sections of the game.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I still want to see someone RP Hank Green's attempt at Pikmin 3. He speeds the video and audio up to 2x normal.

The description:

quote:

Welcome to a new experiment, HankGames X2 the HankGames series where we respect your time by speeding up the footage so that you can enjoy more of it in less time! ALSO IT'S PRETTY HILARIOUS!

I mean, dude, if you think you actually need to speed up your LP to "respect [our] time" maybe there's not really enough value to actually post it on the internet?

Hank Green is a cool dude what with his doing SciShow and Crash Course and all that, don't get me wrong. His LPs are just silly pseudo-hobbies rather than a business attempt like many Youtube LPers, but I really have to question what was running through his mind when he decided to do that.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I can see the desire for a community to restrict self-promotion. The "10%" marker, however, both seems low and kinda dumb.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Suspicious Dish posted:

Out of all the things that you're surprised has a wiki, the number one YouTube subscribed channel is an odd choice.

Well, I'm surprised in the sense that it's a narrow topic. I wouldn't be surprised by a huge page or even a category on a site covering Youtubers or LPers, just like Miyamoto has a page on most Nintendo wikis. But a dedicated wiki just to him definitely strikes me as odd.

Like, there's a Joss Whedon wiki ("Whedonverse" wikia), but it's mostly links to wikis about his other shows, and a few in depth pages on some of his less notable work like his Shakespeare adaptation. Having a wiki literally about Joss Whedon would be a tad odd no matter how popular his stuff is or how much nerds like him.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Retsupurae's dark side is named Phil.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
They could make it part of the Chrome appstore TOS that apps cannot block ads on Youtube. They did that with video downloaders -- stream rip apps on Chrome must be programmed to not download Youtube videos to appear on the app install site. Obviously it wouldn't be perfect, but it would be a hurdle to a lot of people.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I think there's a counterpoint to be made to the 4 a day number. Chuggaaconroy does about 1/day, and he puts a lot of work into his LPs. He even meticulously planned out loving Animal Crossing. Not only that, when he got sick he took it seriously enough to advance the DS day by day when he got better so his year-long LP wasn't ruined. He's still one of the bigger LPers. I mean, you can have your opinion about his commentary or whether he's annoying, but on a technical level he clearly does a lot of planning and editing work and it seems to work out pretty well for him.

There are some people I like, like Arumba and Quill18, but they put out such a large volume of videos that no matter how cool they are it's extremely easy to burn out on them. I just can't watch 150 episodes of unedited stream of consciousness Europa Universalis 4 when you post 6 a day.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

HGH posted:

I am constantly amazed at how terrified NorthernLion seems of his audience's reactions.
I mean, they are Youtube comments but still.

He's more complaing. TotalBiscuit is the one terrified of audience reaction.

I mean, that's not necessarily a slam, it was legitimately affecting the dude's health, he needs to do what he needs to do to be healthy. But comparing him to NL I think it's pretty clear that NL is complaining about the comments so he has something to talk about more than actually being worried about them.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Er, I think he just means that he was streaming at too high a bitrate or something. I'm not sure why Twitch can't enforce that sort of thing server-side, and relies on people voluntarily complying, but a cursory Google search shows Twitch's limits on bitrate, keyframe interval, and such.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Does that guy work at the Treehouse? How did he know about the super secret upcoming game Rosalina Hoes?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Stink Terios posted:

raocow truly is the best and more people should support him. And correctly spell his name with a lowercase "r".

Truly the next e.e. cummings.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

VoidBurger posted:

A follow-up on the Google/Adsense Polygon article.

This came along with an email from a real person(!) saying that the reinstatement was due to the article.

So yeah, all you have to do to get your Adsense account back from the Invalid Activity Graveyard is to write an article on a major gaming news site :( Hopefully Google can implement some changes. They offered to chat with me via phone about my account, hopefully I'd like to ask if they're going to be taking any steps to improve their customer service! Because 6 hours on hold is a tad extreme.

Make sure you end the phone call with "Don't be evil."

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I know there's an LP of the Dreamfall: The Longest Journey devs playing through that somewhere. They get stuck on a few of their own puzzles and complain about them. :allears:

I can't find the link, I know it's buried somewhere in the Dreamfall Chapters thread in Games.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

HGH posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone ran away from that sinking ship due to really awful contracts or something.

Nah, they didn't even have contracts.

People just jumped ship because that place was a trainwreck. It was basically the extreme conclusion of "paid in exposure".

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I can't watch Angry Joe because the way he clasps his hands and smiles when he talks makes it looks like Happy Mask Salesman Reviews.

This could also count as a pro to some people.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
With enough training data, you can get some pretty good accuracy using MFCC features w/ double deltas. By pretty good, I mean "around 50-60% accurate", which is pretty poo poo if you're trying to get a consumer application like Shazam to recognize something, but is pretty decent if your response is to forward it to a team of human drones to review it.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
But I need an ironic PDP poster to go with my ironic Justin Bieber poster.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

watho posted:

Can art made purely for money really be considered art? Is doing something more difficult and less monetarily rewarding for the sake of art really worthwhile? How much money did proton jon get to be in Sonic '06?

It's kind of silly to compare LPs to this, but I'd like to point out that Michelangelo pretty much only did the roof of the Sistine Chapel because his patron (the Pope) told/paid him to. He really, really wanted to do sculpting work for the Pope's tomb instead.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Capt. J. Linebeck posted:

This is the part where I mention that I unironically like both Dreams of Absolution and His World. Also slowbeef, you should at least tackle Sonic's Very Hard mode DLC. I know you'll have a blast

The music in 06 is one of the only good things about it.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
They're all over strategy game forums under the code name "AAR" ("after action report"). I don't think they're common outside the strategy community, though.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I don't remember my first video LP, but I think my first LP in general was Slowbeef's "strategy guide" for Metal Gear 2.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Honestly, even if they hate it, admitting it would probably just make it some creep's mission to make them understand why it's ~true art~.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I like Pop Fiction for doing what Game Theory does better.

Too bad Game Trailers downsized so hard no Pop Fiction or Timeline is ever coming out again. (I think they laid off the writer/researcher for those)

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Cheez posted:

Well there we go. I was sure Nintendo knew about this for ages so what caused them to change their minds? Especially since I don't think they're allowed by law to go this far and ban TAS only on the grounds that you must infringe on their software to do it.

The guess made in the Wii U thread is probably Mario Maker coming out, so they see the romhack community as a mild "threat" to the functionality of Mario Maker. It's a bit dumb and paranoid, but seems like as good a guess as any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Golden Goat posted:

It being niche doesn't really matter. Re-uploading somebody else's poo poo is kinda lovely if you don't at least get permission first.

No, I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together so therefore I own your stuff.

• Locked thread