Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

The Klobbinator posted:

I've sat through hours of horrible movies and I couldn't even make it through 20 seconds of that thing. I don't believe there's any sort of entertainment value in watching some chumps showcasing themselves with a videogame in the background. That being said, I'm obviously wrong, since guys like these are apparently all the rage in youtube LPing.

I dunno, it's nice to see someone give this game respect it deserves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

steinrokkan posted:

I don't understand why these people seem to get so much positive feedback on these forums. Their gimmick of covering 90% of the screen with unnecessary, overproduced distractions is the worst kind of horseshit, and I personally find them and their chatter even less stomachable than goddamn PDP.

I just want Fraser to play Dark Souls. Cause he's going to be bad at it and he'll blame the game every step of the way and it'll be hilarious.

But yeah, otherwise they are piss.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

infinitycanvas posted:

I watched the first minute. It's basically Cleverbot with a weird face, text-to-speech, and voice recognition. From what I gather, it's 10 minutes of PDP talking to a computer and it not recognizing his accent.

That probably resembles his conversations with humans quite a bit.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
I've watched Bioshock Infinite LP by The Media Cows, as well as some of their Dark Souls videos and it was alright. They aren't too obnoxious, don't use facecam, and actually focus their conversation on the game. Their usual format seems to be having fresh player at controls and someone who has played the game advising and commenting, which is something I like. So you might check it out if you enjoy this style of LP.

edit: Though I wouldn't recommend their Amnesia: AMfP LP. Their style doesn't work well for horror.

Forgall fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Dec 25, 2013

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Waffleman_ posted:

I tried to watch the first episode of that, and it seemed a little grating. I suppose with so many recommendations, I'll try it again.

They are kinda dumb and sometimes gamers.txt seeps through, but still, better than average youtube superstar.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I've been enjoying their Disaster: Day of Crisis LP because it's a ridiculous game that I never would have played myself, and I'm enjoying experiencing all of the stupid poo poo that happens in that game alongside them. The story isn't really that interesting or important, so I don't care when they start cracking jokes over the cutscenes or going on tangents. With games I'd want to see a "proper" LP of like Yakuza 4 though their constant going off-topic and not paying attention to the game gets annoying, but overall they're pretty good by YouTube standards.
Interesting. I thought staying on-topic and talking about the game rather than just shooting poo poo while something runs in background was actually one of their strong points.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

NeilPerry posted:

I'm trying the first episode of Beyond Two Souls and OH MY GOD I WANT THEM TO SHUT THE gently caress UP FOR TWO SECONDS. It's not that they're all that annoying it's that they are so goddamn loud and talk just a tad bit too much.

Fair enough, I guess I just got used to them. Just started watching Psychonauts videos by Game Informer and had exact same reaction.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
I'm seconding the recommendation for Kay's Dark Souls LP. It's good stuff.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Amppelix posted:

Be warned though, A) They have facecam and B) The straight man (Josh?) has some anger issues and will sometimes scream incoherently and/or very loudly during failure.
Also, bronies.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Amppelix posted:

Well, yes, they do in one video mention liking the show, but unless you find the mere idea repulsive (i guess some people do) it's not like they just talk about children's cartoons. In fact they don't talk about it at all. Unless I missed some big dumb thing, I did skip through a lot of the videos.
Well it's just part of the picture, along with annoying raging and screaming, beardy's crude sexist jokes and getting their political opinions from south park.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Skunkrocker posted:

Well I've been mulling over the idea of promoting this guy here.
I've looked at his stuff and he's one of those people who read every bit of on-screen text out loud. Even if his voice isn't too unpleasant, it's still dumb and annoying.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

TARDISman posted:

PewDiePie confirmed as a cast member character in Kingdom Hearts III.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Monicro posted:

I like Game Grumps but anything that makes Dark Souls fans upset is A-OK in my book.
They were always bad, but at least I haven't heard them making gross burps into the mic before...

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Suspicious Dish posted:

I have been watching lots of TobyGames lately. He's pretty awesome.
Is this some kind of sick joke.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

CJacobs posted:

Oh is Kay doing a Bloodborne series? That'll make 3 of them I'm following if so :v:
Sadly, her PS4 broke, and for now she doesn't know when she'll be able to start on Bloodborne.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Keeshhound posted:

So I decided to watch one of Okaydrian's past broadcasts and loaded up a random Deus Ex: Human Revolution one. Was less than impressed by the ~30min of prestream music, some of which had been muted by twitch, but then when he finally gets on (and twitch unmutes) the first thing I hear out of his mouth is him lambasting his chat for being idiots. :allears: I think I like this guy.
I just clicked on one of his videos, and the first thing I heard out of his mouth was "lick my balls".

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Roaper posted:

At the cost of changing the subject. Does anyone remember the first LP they ever saw and have you seen it again.
I think it might have been PokeCapn's Sonic 06, at least as far as I remember. It holds up.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Niggurath posted:

Apparently Jimmy Kimmel can't wrap his head around Let's Plays: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji9KmXwrA5Y and it's pretty great.
Oh my god those fuckwits are downvoting all his videos since then. It's amazing :allears:

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

judge reinhold posted:

It's cool that we're now closer than ever to achieving a world where Antonin Scalia has to watch a PewDiePie video.
He thought 24 was a proof of torture being good and necessary, can't wait for moral lessons he extracts from PewDiePie.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

paradoxGentleman posted:

If you had to show to the world at large one Let's Play video in an effort to make a good impression, which LPer would you pick?
Twitch Plays Dark Souls.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Jamesman posted:

Pokemon seemed ideal because it was a slow-paced game with a simple interface and a small number of inputs. I don't quite understand why you would try the formula with complicated games except to see how it absolutely does not work at all.

I had no idea that there was even a Dark Souls thing. How well did that go?
They have a setup where it pauses after every second of action to let chat vote on next input. They are about 80% through the game at this point.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Yardbomb posted:

I'd like to think I'm mediocre at worst. :saddowns:

But on-topic, if you're in the mood for watching dudes play horror games of varying quality this month, Super Best Friends have started their annual Shitstorm of Scariness, playing a spooky game a day, with Layers of Fear and Alien Resurrection so far.

Also they just finished a playthrough of Until Dawn which also fits the mood so hey.
Matt keeps talking poo poo about Jean-Pierre Jeunet. "Some French nobody" shut up Matt.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

HGH posted:

So I'm talking to a friend, and apparently Youtube streams from outside Germany are blocked in Germany? Also says YoutubeGaming is not available there yet. Is this commonplace?
If you thought RIAA was bad wait till you meet GEMA.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

dscruffy1 posted:

I'm currently living in Germany, the error I get when I try to pull up anything on Youtube Gaming is "Live Streaming not available in your country due to rights issues."
In the past they have sued to have youtube error message changed because they didn't like that it specifically mentioned them :lol:

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
They have their own thread here btw: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3585043
It's in the podcasts subforum for reasons.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

HGH posted:

I see no such things. Perhaps you're confusing it with the people mocking the "castration is misogyny" incident?
I for one am glad the bad posters are gone. They were obsessive creeps who could never shut up about banned topics, intentionally stirred poo poo, and PE sounds like a downright violent person.

And there's plenty of DSP style material to be found here too. They have more in common than you think. Really, I'll let the LP superstar speak for herself.

Who knew free employment was for rats? And rats commuting together to work to boot! But what do I know, I have a job, so I must be one of those "rat race fuckers" as well, along with most of the planet.
Filth like you is why these forums turned to poo poo.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

CJacobs posted:

was changed to ->
That first headline is accurate. How unfortunate that they had to censor themselves just because snowflake gamers got offended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Jamesman posted:

Even though white people totally did force parts of Asia to assimilate to white cultures in the past, and through natural spread of cultures and ideas as a whole, you totally do see plenty of westernization in the east BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT THERE IS SOMETHING BAD HAPPENING AND YOU WOULD BE A FOOL NOT TO SEE IT!
Yeah it's not like Americans wrote Constitution of Japan or anything.

• Locked thread