Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Someone plugged ABadFeeling on here and I'm surprised that no one has said anything about Criken2. His stuff is pretty much the same only they're usually mulitplayer stuff more often than not. The biggest appeal to me is how there's always always a glitch in the games somehow no matter what he plays.

I mean, seriously how do you break Portal 2, of all things!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Does anyone have a list of the stuff you can do on Youtube to format comments? Asterisks make things bold, hyphens add strikethroughs, etc.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

The thing I was talking about was from a couple years ago. I can't really understand what he's trying to make a point about in this. The comments on YouTube were always a cesspool, there's nothing G+ integration did that changed much there, lovely comments with likes and replies always rose to the top, there was always bad comments in general and he's now acting like this is new?

Remember Bob and his army?

HGH posted:

Oh jeez, that puts things into perspective. I didn't think e-fame could do that kinda stuff but I guess not everyone can shrug dumb comments off too easily.

The best example of this would be the guy who made Flappy Bird taking the game down because it got too popular and attracted gamer attention. Which means demands from fans and hate mail from detractors. Also, angry gamer bile.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Because let's plays are on the news every day

You also don't seem to realize that the popular let's players that give it a wider attention are guys like PDP.

Yo, duder, I think he means that as in 'And especially in the kind of hobbies people have that actually reaches out to a broader group' like Football or Nascar.

No one wants shitheels interested in the same things as them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

hahaha; the idea of comparing lps to sport is the dumbest thing ever because they are completely different things.

How can we have people calling LP a hobby ITT and other people laughing about likening hobbies to others? :psyduck:

I feel like I'm talking past people here somehow. All I meant is that I thought SuccinctAndPunchy was talking about things that have a broad fanbase of people instead of a niche group.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

I thought it was just engrish.

Or riff-Let's Play smashed together. :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Calaveron posted:

I know Game Grumps aren't well-liked around here, and I personally don't like them that much, but goddamn it does Danny screaming like a little girl on the SoTC episodes crack me up in a bad way

Them finally making it to Mr. Sandman and Danny getting his poo poo wrecked like Raiden at the end of MGR was so loving hilarious.

Shame about me being so used to Goon-qualityTM gameplay that I could only wish the entire series wasn't brute-forcing your way through it like Twitch Plays Pokemon.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's not a full playthrough, sadly but Elias Toufexis is played a little of Deus Ex: Human Revolution here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flszuT3ROdo

THAT'S HIS NORMAL VOICE!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Well you've gotta keep Lpers separate by genders just like Legos right?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Singh Long posted:

Side-note regarding voice acting: Mona Marshall(Belius) didn't voice the Mushroom from Dark Souls, though as Vicas pointed out, she's done a lot of voices in anime nowadays.

Think you meant to put that in Kuvo's thread man.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

So, I have been looking for a good explanation why facecams are bad. I do know they are bad, and I kinda (?) know why - but what really makes them bad. What are the fundamental reasons?

They distract the viewer from the actual content, I realize that. But is that really the only reason?

e: I want to tell people how stupid they are.

It's mostly because they add nothing to the video of a thing you're maybe thinking of spending 60 or more dollars on depending on where you live.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Really, I just think that if it's not the thing you specifically turned on your Tv or Computer to watch then it doesn't need to be there. Notice how tv people never tried to make Picture-in-Picture a constant necessary component in their products.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

slowbeef posted:

2. Ask - does the scarecam need to be present through the entirety of the playthrough? Can't we have it come in/out when particularly interesting poo poo happens rather than all the drat time?

In all the years of scarecam's existence, [it's been years right?] I can't believe still that no one has done a horror game and decided to not put up the scarecam the whole time through and only pull it up when there's a thing on the screen that they're shocked by.

Actually that would require some thought on their part so no wonder I've never seen it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Occasional slow-panning slots of everyone's reactions as you work your way through bad games like Beyond Two Souls, Ride to Hell Retribution, DMC Devil May Cry, Metroid Other M, etc could maybe be good. But really a 'Hey, I'm actually doing this thing that no one would just take my word for-' Like playing a game with your feet. :v: 'so here's a constant recording for proof' is the only thing I could think of that'd warrant a constant recording.

But otherwise I really can't think of any reason for them to constantly be using the screen real-estate all the time.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 11, 2014

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kytrarewn posted:

I'd actually be interested in seeing a discussion of what made people get into watching LPs.

I can't remember when exactly I started but I know that Super Smash Brawl and the Wii didn't exist by then. Maybe I was about 11 or so. So I was playing Melee and going through my trophies and I hit Ness. And I said "Huh, I've never played Earthbound. I wonder what that's like. So I googled or whatever search engine it was and ended up on Youtube. Youtube led me to chuggaconroy and I was thinking "Oh cool, someone's playing through it." So then I started watching ProtonJon and everything's just a blur. I do remember finding Criken2 as well.

So I watched the let's play and I never recovered and ended up paying money to come onto an internet forum because of my addiction.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 12, 2014

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The only way this could play out and be great is if it turns out they bought him just to force him to either not be awful while playing the game under threat of shutting down his channel.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Achievement Hunter's hazing of Kerry into their group was pretty great, if only for the first challenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tuc33vCJHA

Also, this one may not count completely as a Let's Play, since there's no commentary subtitled or vocal in it but I think Mike Kob's ongoing God Hand playthrough should be on here. If only because the guy is really good at the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMH8T2LPdfE

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

wottermelon posted:

Mike Kob's also done several speedruns/tutorials of God Hand and Dragon's Dogma. And though it's totally not an LP, how could you not mention this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyUArTDYYVc

Because there's an ongoing LP of that game going on and it's not really an LP so I didn't think it was relevant.

I already thought I was pushing it with the God Hand video, don't judge me man

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

slowbeef posted:

Honestly, this talk has made consider it. A fan made plush shrimp babies for us which was nice.

Allow me to make an effort to dissuade you from this idea.

*Ahem*

Dangan Ronpa

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

heytallman posted:

The real question is: does he pronounce Tidus like "tye-dus" or "tee-dus" ?

I didn't bother watching enough to check. DSP probably found some third way nobody would ever think to say it.

Tid [pronounced like Cid]-us [use without an e]

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Brassherald posted:

So, not like anyone with a functioning brain?

Oh poo poo, no I don't even know. I was making up something unintelligible as a joke. :v: I can't even watch eight minutes of Highlight reel DSP so I have no idea.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pyroi posted:

He posts a video. As he explains that the DSP thing was all an act, he takes off the fake beard and fatsuit, revealing that he was Elvis Aston Kutcher all along.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Tid [pronounced like Cid]-us [use without an e]

I'd just like to restate that I never watched the video to check and instead made up a hypothetical pronunciation that no one who reads above a first grade level would come up with.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

It's not the worst place but a lot of topics are people complaining about Youtube in general or posting up a "Hey check out my channel" (They usually don't touch that thread afterwards). The feedback topics and technical suggestion topics are good though.

Speaking of complaining about Youtube, am I the only one having trouble with 1080p lately? It always seems to make videos look worse than 720, on top of buffering way slower than it used to.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

slowbeef posted:

I don't want to watch because I still haven't gotten into Dark Souls 2, but Game Grumps is weird. One of the original two - and I can't find this quote, but it was relayed by a reliable source - stated they thought doing and monetizing Let's Play was outright theft. (I, uh, guess they changed their mind.)

They've also mocked informative LPs altogether which is odd because Naughty Bear and Dark Souls 2 seems to be proving that wrong.

I'm watching the videos right now and it's really sad. They just cannot figure out simple mechanics in the game like running despite the fact that one of them was literally running around not maybe three minutes ago. Course, can't say nuthin about them being bad at the game cuz it's super hard being entertaining and poo poo at a video game. slowbeef, you could watch it yourself and not miss out on much besides making a character and the opening. They're four parts in and haven't made it into the hub town yet.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I thought he left because he wanted to hang out with his girlfriend/ was moving to like New York or something. I dunno. I honestly still enjoy JonTron's videos though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

This is actually fantastic and I can't stop watching it. Holy poo poo.

Oh my gosh, it's like I'm watching a high school sitcom. All this needs is Z-snapping.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Oh well then all you have to do is find him at your nearest convention, drug his bodyguard, tackle him, profess your love to him and then take his place.

You need to be sure to use a Longsword and behead him. Only then will you absorb his likes and subscribers.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I think something's wrong with my computer. Try watching a chipcheezum video, I'm getting the feeling that videos that aren't partnered with Youtube aren't playable anymore.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

Mods, please change my name to Worse Than Hitler so the world will know my shame.

Mods, instead change his name to Phil Fish with the tagline 'Worse than Hitler' tia

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Disappointing Pie posted:

Can this be a recommendation thread? I love loving funny rear end group LP's. Don't hate me but I love the Achievement Hunter / Rooster Teeth crew and their Worms, Madden, Minecraft LP's and the like because they are hilarious as a group and play off each other so well. Also sites like Giantbomb, basically good personalities doing LP's.

Any ideas?

If we're doing recommendations I have one but uh. Might be a bit of a hard sell. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9R_FLS4Fac Because he does use a facecam a lot of the time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jokes on you guys though, you're all really gonna be in for it in a about an hour. :smug:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Boxturret posted:

Why is it on the internet you can't say something is difficult without someone coming along going "Well I beat it first try with the starting weapon with no armour or weapon upgrades in 1 minute without getting hit once and never missing an attack, please stop playing the game so you don't continue to embarrass yourself"

Because bootstrapping yadda yadda yadda.

Really the problem is that once people 'git gud' at a game they forget when they first started out constantly loving up jumping over cliffs and start demanding everybody know the all the ins and outs of the game like they do from the second they pick up the controller.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Instead let's talk about things that really matter like how worryingly dense some of the people who watch Retsupurae are.

What the comment was in response to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZOaNziVbW4&t=244s

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Monicro posted:

Wait what's wrong with 10 minute videos? Less content per update is a legitimate complaint I guess, but if I had less free time I would much prefer that length to 30-40 minute episodes.

People only brought it up because Youtube had a ten-minute video limit back then.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

slowbeef posted:

I did wince a bit when he brought up Israel/Palestine in one tweet about what people should really spend their time being concerned about, only to follow it up with something really "sad" - Studio Ghibli shutting down.

well gently caress

Personally, I laughed when he compared himself to Hitler in his ongoing quest to super double-down on it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RSCNyx posted:

I can only hope. gently caress that piece of poo poo. Yeah, everything of his was taken down: YouTube, DeviantArt, etc.

I'm noticing that a lot of big internet people don't seem to have a firm grasp on PR. They just kinda say what they want, and then act shocked when people are offended by it. Wasn't the artist for Penny Arcade under a lot of flak for something controversial they said, and only made it worse by responding to it?

Yes.

"Hey, guys, could you maybe not use rape as a punchline please?"

And then it really got out of hand when a bunch of their fanbase got hyper-defensive about people thinking this whole situation was pretty uncool and creeps started threatening to rape people at the next PAX.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

What does this Platinum user stuff mean?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lunethex posted:

I don't think anyone needs an introductory course to that.

Hot drat, this is literally the perfect formula. Hot chick, tits easily visible, and a cat in the picture as well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Afraid of Audio posted:

burn gamers to the ground

I was going for a 'this is literally the never-fail formula to amass a horde of fans' view on it!

• Locked thread