Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

There is a good chance they put more time into those than into editing their videos.

That and those dumb intros done in After Effects or whatever.

As for custom thumbnails, I get really turned off from watching videos when the thumbnail features either the LPer's or a 'Toon' version of their mugshot somewhere on the thumbnail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

What bugs me more about someone reading text is that no matter how fast they read I can mentally take in information faster by just staring at the screen for a second or two. A old friend of mine recently got into LPing, and while he can be informative he refuses to stop reading and voice acting everything which makes it really tough to enjoy any of his LPs. (Though to his credit, he does an okay job at the voice acting, but it's still very obnoxious.)

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 17, 2013

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

IceAgeComing posted:

I think I've just found the dumbest facecam video ever. I found a facecam LP of a Cooking Mama game!

It's one thing to do "goofy" voices, but it's another when you decide to film your face doing said voices it just makes you look really awkward. Wait a minute, the oddly shaped scarecam, the blurry footage that serves as a border, the jump cuts; is this the same guy featured in the latest Retsupurae video?

Edit: Going to his channel already answered my question.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 21, 2013

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

Is it like a rule that YouTube LP Superstars all buy like Vegas or Aftereffects or something instead of using AviSynth and MeGUI?

I'm almost sure Youtube LP Superstars™ are not aware that free programs like Avisynth even exist.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Red Metal posted:

Apparently, Game Grumps was originally going to be a podcast.

I wonder how that would have played out if they decided to make their show a podcast. I'd imagine it would have been a bit better than what we got.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Mortimer posted:

Just skipping through the video you can see his face, no, his whole BODY in various exaggerated poses.

New and improved Bodycam™. Now viewers can see their favorite LPer's reactions not just through their face but through their body language as well. What will they think of next. :allears:

Real talk: Based on the anime intro, I'm guessing he's just pretending to be an anime himself.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

ApeHawk posted:

Obviously, the next logical step is to combine the two.

That's right: Twitch Plays League. Only you have ten streams of it going on at all times.

I can only imagine this being hours of "g" and "left click" (Ping the map) over and over again.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Attestant posted:

What, why. How does he have 2 million subscribers. :psyduck:

From what I remember he was/still is apart of a group of machinima makers that, back in the day, made some pretty alright Minecraft machinimas. They also did a TON of Minecraft custom maps LPs, and eventually they started doing blind LPs of other games on their mega-channel and their own individual channels. So basically it's all because of Minecraft.

Fun Fact: While Ubernova hasn't been retsupuraed, two others in his group have been.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 24, 2014

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

MooCowlian posted:

Two others? I know they did ssohpkc or whatever, but I can't think of who else it was.

They also did ImmortalHD, the guy who did that Asura's Wrath video.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 24, 2014

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

RSCNyx posted:

Even when the LPer comes out and says, "Hey, I think it's fine if people wanna criticize/poke fun at me" (SSo...whateverthefuck even went so far as to make a YouTube video about how he considered it an 'honor' to be RP'd), their fans are still all-too-quick to attack and shout-down anyone who objects them.

The way I see it is that when a fan sees their favorite LPer get RP'd, they kinda feel as though the riffs directed at the LPer are also directed at the them as well for liking that LPer; kinda like being riffed on by association or something. Which makes them feel like what they enjoy is stupid and dumb and they should feel stupid and dumb for liking Nova/ImmortalHD/PDP/etc. and then they get angry and start defending their favorite LPer because they don't want to feel like they're wrong. (Even when said LPer said they're okay with being RP'd.)

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Edit: Nevermind. I'm dumb and didn't read the post thoroughly.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 6, 2014

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

MGN001 posted:

Also, at the very bottom of the list, have you considered, instead of doing a video LP, doing a screenshot LP of "a book"?

Still gonna do a VLP of Green Eggs and Ham. :colbert:

I'm assuming they meant visual novels in that regard.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Onean posted:

You don't happen to have a link to it, do you? I'm not seeing it in the current thread's long list of videos.

Here's the link for anyone else who's interested

I always wondered why voiceofdog's footage was slow as hell.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 7, 2014

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I'm more surprised that his audio is so badly balanced. I cannot hear a drat word he's saying.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 9, 2014

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

My interest in LPs goes back when I used go to a site that posted videos walkthroughs for getting 360 achievements (I forgot the name of the site though), and most of the time the walkthroughs would have the player using post-commentary for highlighting specific problem areas and how to go about getting pass them.

Unfortunately, my first exposure to something labeled as an 'Let's Play' was PDP's Amnesia LP. I had just finished Amnesia myself and was interested in seeing how other people reacted to certain parts of the game, and his just so happened to be the first one I saw. (Along with that HeyJayLet'sPlay guy that got retsupuraed.)

I didn't know that LP was anything other than be wacky while playing games until I saw the TheRadBrad retsupurae, and afterwards watched Slowbeef's Snatcher LP. So, basically I have TheRadBrad Retsupurae to thank for discovering better LPs.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

RSCNyx posted:

We joke about LP dating, well, it's slowly becoming a reality!

Couples who LP together stay together. :allears:

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Mulgar posted:

There is so much wrong here, I can't even begin :psyduck:

This is surprising coming from a guy who posted this video, and later redacted it.

Funny enough when I first saw the let's play opinion video, I thought about recommending someone like Chip to him in hopes he would see the better side of LP. Kinda regret not doing that now.:smith:

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 16, 2014

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

gatz posted:

...but it seems like SA is just another avenue of potential views for him. He copy & pastes his video descriptions onto the forums, never really providing any potential discussion topics or anything. SA is second fiddle to him, and that might be for the best.

I honestly think he never looked at any other thread on SA except the sandcastle, the Tech Fort, some megathreads he contributed in/wanted to contribute in, and his own threads; which could explain why his videos are really bland and why he just doesn't seem to know how to go about fixing it.

I mean, you can really pick up on some neat editing tricks, certain ways to deliver commentary or demonstrate something, and other stuff just by reading/watching other folks' threads.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

slowbeef posted:

They even have a dedicated editor; I can't understand why you'd leave that in unless you really just didn't loving care.

See this is what bugs me the most about the Grumps, they have an editor but not for cutting out unnecessary stuff but for gags and poo poo. Different priorities I guess. :(

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

...he started asking me how we were supposed to connect to the person playing the game, after all "It's called Let's Play for a reason!" I don't even know what he was trying to say with that one.

I've always interpreted "connecting to the person playing the game" as "I want to be popular, but I lack any talent"; which I'm sure most of the LP Reddit share this view.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

RSCNyx posted:

I just don't get why you would do this for an LP. I may be assuming here, but I think people click on your LP for entertainment, not to be put to sleep. I've seen a few that did this (some involving action games, no less), and I just get annoyed because the game audio is muted.

Well, there are folks out there that play LPs videos while they sleep, so maybe that's the angle the whispering lper was going for all along.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

slowbeef posted:

All I was ever saying was "stop saying rape every time you mean sex you loving creep."

I wonder if this is also why he thinks every pool of blood is "period blood".

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Danaru posted:

Jesus christ this is the Atlas Shrugged of LP drama. And it just gets longer as people post their own novels in the replies

The Highs and Lows of Youtube LP an autobiography by GreatScottLP on sale now on Itunes and Amazon.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 14, 2014

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

Looks like Angry Joe has decided to stop covering Nintendo games after the company announced their weird rules about posting gameplay videos.

I'm sure the multibillion dollar company won't miss a single "Angry" reviewer whose entire gimmick is trashing every game he touches.

I haven't seen much of Joe, but I thought his gimmick was green-screening himself to make it look like he was from the Neo-future. (That and Superman T-shirt with leather jacket.)

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Dinky video games have been a natural extension of merchandising for years now. I guess they figure this has more appeal to that particular demographic than lunchboxes and action figures.

I would totally buy a PDP action figure with kung-fu grip and says 1 of 5 different phases when you push his fist in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

And Youtube's only been around since early 2005.

Maybe she's a time traveler. :tinfoil:

• Locked thread