Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

New Leaf posted:

How many covers are you guys running with? I have a full 10 I switch around when people are injured, but I just got the other Hawkeye and don't know what to do with him. I plan on hanging onto him, but don't know when I'll get an opportunity to use him. When are you guys selling covers?

You guys sell covers? I just buy more capacity and never roll for covers I won't be able to level up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Woke up to an rear end kicking.

Finally made it, though. Gonna see if I can hit 1000. Still haven't spent a dime.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Soylentbits posted:

You guys sell covers? I just buy more capacity and never roll for covers I won't be able to level up.

I sell every 1-star except Ironman at this point.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Being that there's like no penalty for killing someone on a second or third attempt I think it can really be advantageous to just retreat if Storm has stacked the board against you or if you're really trying to minimize damage taken.

In fact it probably makes some degree of sense to have a team of cannon fodder to throw at somebody's first hero and then retreat to bring in the rest 3 on 2.

edit: Yeah like 1 point per attempt. You'll earn more points keeping your guys healthy and killing another team.
vvv

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 13, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The penalty is fewer reward points. As for covers I sell off all one stars except Iron Man and Black Widow.

Modern Hawkeye is quite neat, if only i could get his red power hough.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

But there is a penalty - you gain considerably less points by winning on a second or third attempt than you do on the first.

I dumped five bucks over the weekend to spend on comic book space, but previously I had sold Hawkeye Classic and Black Widow Moderns for space. I regret selling the Black Widows now that we have an Avengers event and I have basically no Avengers.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I love fighting dudes with no avengers. Pretty sure I'm not going to get mauled in these last few hours before the contest is over. I'll just try stay inside my prize bracket and murder dudes with one or two guys for sweet iso.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
So, I installed this thing last week and managed to get to the top 1000 in the tournament with a 20-ish level Iron Man and got the two covers I wanted. However, going for the tournament has shown me that 2 and 3 star heroes are way better than my current team. My advice is to reroll the enemies you pick as much as needed, because there is some hard-working, good player with a 1-star team that has progressed enough in the tournament to give 15-20 points easily. Anyway:

Do I get better covers (as in 3-stars, I've seen 2-star Storm, but doesn't seem too impressive) as I progress with the storyline? Otherwise I'm just going to uninstall, because the PvP feels way too skewed towards paying customers.

Plus, anyone feels that having a 300 Elo prize is ridiculous when the highest-ranking player right now is 1199 Elo points?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Fat Samurai posted:

So, I installed this thing last week and managed to get to the top 1000 in the tournament with a 20-ish level Iron Man and got the two covers I wanted. However, going for the tournament has shown me that 2 and 3 star heroes are way better than my current team. My advice is to reroll the enemies you pick as much as needed, because there is some hard-working, good player with a 1-star team that has progressed enough in the tournament to give 15-20 points easily. Anyway:

Do I get better covers (as in 3-stars, I've seen 2-star Storm, but doesn't seem too impressive) as I progress with the storyline? Otherwise I'm just going to uninstall, because the PvP feels way too skewed towards paying customers.

Plus, anyone feels that having a 300 Elo prize is ridiculous when the highest-ranking player right now is 1199 Elo points?

2-star Storm is amazing, just FYI.

I got my free Thor cover just now. I'm hovering around 500 points on the Avengers bracket, but every time I look away I lose like 30 points. I can't keep my dudes healthy enough.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, you start getting 2 star Storms and Thors further in the storyline. You also have a decent chance of getting a 2-star card from the 500 iso point store option, and iso points arent that hard to come by. I ended up with Thor that way.

Also I just got my free Thor card from the tournament. Looks like they're slowly getting through. He's still a big meatshield til I get my yellow thor power.

Though I have to say my Classic Storm, Magneto Now and Thor Now are absolutely wrecking poo poo as a team. Tiles getting smashed everywhere, enemies stunned until the end of time, and Magneto's purple -blue generating powers let me chain up stuff for ridiculous combos.

And one thing I started doing yesterday: If a storyline mission starts out with a poo poo tile layout, just restart the mission. There's no penalty for those, unlike Versus.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I haven't seen any 3-stars from the storyline, but I've placed in the top-1000 for every previous tournament just using 1-star characters, and that gets you premium currency to spend on 3/4 star heros. I feel that yeah, it's pay-to-win in PvP but there's enough non-paying players to at least reliably get into the free-premium bracket by beating them up. The paying guys are generally concentrated at the top where them beating you loses you like 2-3 points, and they're fighting over a comic-book cover they would otherwise have just bought anyway.

Fat Samurai posted:

The rankings I think do need some work - I think people will be hitting those high ratings as the game matures, but the rewards for regular PvP certainly need balancing since you're getting 1-star covers all the way up to the early 1,000s compared to tournaments where 425 gets you a special cover.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They're fighting for the four star Wolverine prize.

That they have to spend premium currency to level up. :haw: Chumps!

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

SynthOrange posted:

They're fighting for the four star Wolverine prize.

That they have to spend premium currency to level up. :haw: Chumps!
I'm just trying to get the Thor reward. I went from rank 53 to 128 in a pretty short time, though, so I'm not too hopeful.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Haha yes! I got the free thor reward and finally beat the yelena mission with thor drops and get one. My thor can now be level 11 :getin:.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I loved puzzle quest and decided to check this out. It lags like a mo-fo on my phone though so that's fun.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

You can get thor red, yellow, and green from the oscorp mission! :ducksiren:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh god the Oscorp missions. Spies, grenadiers, assassins and pyros. :supaburn:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

So I realized this a bit late, but don't use comic cover immediately if you can help it. Skill levels can be improved by iso, and they cost more the higher the skill is.

Skill 1 to skill 2 cost 250 iso
Skill 2 to skill 3 cost 500 iso
skill 3 to skill 4 cost 750 iso
repeat the pattern, maybe forever?

So when you first get storm classic, don't raise her skill with comic books until you at least have her skill to at level 3 if not 4. If you do this you get an extra 6 storm comic for 2250 iso (9 for 4500), which is a steal.

My storm is level 10 almost exclusively from comic books from the venom and juggernaut stage. But I had I done this trick about she could have been level 16 and destroying the oscorp chapter.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, its always cheaper to level the first few levels with Iso.

Also gently caress you enemy team Iron Man, those are my hot dogs!

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

So is this actually as fun as Puzzle Quest? I don't really care about Marvel anything but I need so more Puzzle Quest.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Shwqa posted:

So I realized this a bit late, but don't use comic cover immediately if you can help it. Skill levels can be improved by iso, and they cost more the higher the skill is.

Skill 1 to skill 2 cost 250 iso
Skill 2 to skill 3 cost 500 iso
skill 3 to skill 4 cost 750 iso
repeat the pattern, maybe forever?

So when you first get storm classic, don't raise her skill with comic books until you at least have her skill to at level 3 if not 4. If you do this you get an extra 6 storm comic for 2250 iso (9 for 4500), which is a steal.

My storm is level 10 almost exclusively from comic books from the venom and juggernaut stage. But I had I done this trick about she could have been level 16 and destroying the oscorp chapter.

:suicide:

Why didn't I think of that before I wasted all those loving covers?

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Ugh, I just played the 150 coin game and got another Thor red cover.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Apocron posted:

Ugh, I just played the 150 coin game and got another Thor red cover.

Thor is kinda my favorite thing to get. sure he isn't super great, but he is at least common enough that I can dream of leveling him to the mid 20s.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Shwqa posted:

Thor is kinda my favorite thing to get. sure he isn't super great, but he is at least common enough that I can dream of leveling him to the mid 20s.

But then am I not better leveling ironman as my red/yellow bruiser?

Plus everyone just got Thor free. I wanted to be a unique snowflake.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

New Leaf posted:

:suicide:

Why didn't I think of that before I wasted all those loving covers?

Aw crap getting a skill to level 6 cost hero points not iso.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Man it's so close to being good but like someone else said, it would be helped by getting a free try on the 150 coin cover after the tutorial that you could retry until you got a hero you wanted to play the game and PVP with.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thor's actually decent if you dont look at him as an Iron Man replacement. Iron Man just hits stuff really, really hard. Thor? He hits stuff, and once you beef up the skills, sets up ridiculous combo chains. Team him up with other combo monsters like Storm Classic and Magneto Now and you have a never ending pain train.

Also got 100 premium out of the contest. I'm holding off on rolling because I want cover space and because I fear what I'll get. :ohdear:

Also it's time for the Thor tournament. Thornament.

Apocron posted:

Man it's so close to being good but like someone else said, it would be helped by getting a free try on the 150 coin cover after the tutorial that you could retry until you got a hero you wanted to play the game and PVP with.

The game isnt cloud saved at all, so you could try reinstall, but yeah, it takes about half an hour of play to get to the point where you can try again.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
What about the fact you have to register a name for the multiplayer? Do I lose the name I registered if I reroll?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I have no idea. I'll experiment on my ipad and let you know.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Is there any reason to keep more than one version of a character around, or can I sell Modern Storm once I get Classic Storm going?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

They're essentially two different characters you just can't use at the same time. For instance, although Modern and Classic both have a variation of the same "destroy tiles to deal damage/generate AP" green move, Modern has Red/Black attack stats with a red variation to destroy Environment tiles and a black move to set up special attack tiles; while Classic has Blue/Yellow attack stats with a passive damage reflector and a blue Stun/AoE. Classic is slightly better stats-wise, since she's 2 star rather than 1 star, but Modern isn't redundant because of the difference in colours and abilities.

If you're stretching for space though, 1-stars that aren't fitting in your team are the best choice regardless of whether you have another version of them or not as they will get progressively worse against better-starred covers, and you'll get plenty of them from story mode to sell for ISO when you're not using them for levels.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ahahaha that was a horrible versus match. Storm Classic has Elemental Barrier, which has an attack that triggers on high damage and hits the whole enemy team. I had a Storm Classic... and so did my opponent. One blast hit her and it was an unending torrent of Elemental Barriers that destroyed both teams.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Ok so gently caress Yelena. gently caress her so hard.

Going back to grind the venom chapter, because that first Yelena mission with two spies in Oscorp is a total brick wall, and that's with a 26 Iron Man and 11 Storm Classic.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I have the Yelena common, is it good? Or is I just the mission is difficult?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm pleasantly surprised by (read: scared of) the amount of damage Venom's devour attack does, even without the instakill gimmick. Is it worth to put it into the team when available?

So far I'm running IM-Modern Storm-Thor, with an eye to swapping Storms when able. Are any early heroes clearly superior and/or sale fodder? Hawkeye and Juggernaut, maybe?

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

bubbapook posted:

Ok so gently caress Yelena. gently caress her so hard.

Going back to grind the venom chapter, because that first Yelena mission with two spies in Oscorp is a total brick wall, and that's with a 26 Iron Man and 11 Storm Classic.

Just further to this - if you do get stuck on Oscorp, it's worth going back to the first couple of chapters and grinding out the covers. I had a whole load of iron man covers that were still unclaimed in there (along with a bunch of handy iso) which is super useful, and the battles literally take 30 seconds to clear. Now I'm totally starved of ISO unfortunately, but at least that's grindable.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm pleasantly surprised by (read: scared of) the amount of damage Venom's devour attack does, even without the instakill gimmick. Is it worth to put it into the team when available?

So far I'm running IM-Modern Storm-Thor, with an eye to swapping Storms when able. Are any early heroes clearly superior and/or sale fodder? Hawkeye and Juggernaut, maybe?
I thought Devour was pretty weak, but some of the story Venoms seemed to deal good damage with it. I just levelled it to 5 and realised why - the level 10 bonus is 2x direct damage :stare:

Hawkeye's only niche is clearing tiles and setting up five-tile matches. His health is low, he has no nukes and Iron Man will be using all the red AP anyway. Juggernaut is fun but his red is only slightly more damaging than Thor's and he takes half of what it deals, while his green clears more tiles than Storms but doesn't generate AP for you.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Spikey posted:

Is there any reason to keep more than one version of a character around, or can I sell Modern Storm once I get Classic Storm going?

I keep both, if one is benched I play the other on lower end things. Sometimes you just need a seat filler for easy fights, and she does have some decent abilities. I still like Hail Storm, even though late-game it isn't quite as effective.

Edit: Top 5000 and I get a loving Hawkeye cover? I was in the top 1000 before I went to bed! :bang:

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Is there a reason this game is kind of ugly? Like, why it has black bars on the sides on my iPad, and the sprites of the APs have jagged edges? Has this been a work in progress since Dark Reign was a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragonshirt posted:

Is there a reason this game is kind of ugly? Like, why it has black bars on the sides on my iPad, and the sprites of the APs have jagged edges? Has this been a work in progress since Dark Reign was a thing?

I play it on a Nexus 7 and have no black bars or jagged edges.. It looks really nice actually.