Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nuebot posted:

Well, it was fun I guess but gently caress that.
Most of the missions have a premium currency reward hidden in them, and you can get it from the pop-up tournaments. I've made enough from the free sources to expand my cover limit to 12 as well as buy three premium currency covers.

I wish you could trade covers because I really want a good Daken and a max level Juggernaut, but I don't really like Classic Storm which everyone seems to like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What's not to like about Classic Storm? She's got an amazing stun that hits everyone on the enemy team for damage, an auto counterattack that hits everyone on the enemy team and the same tile shattering attack that regular storm has, except it can also scale up with the number of ap you have.

Pyros, grenadiers and spies used to wreck my day but with Storm classic, Thor and Magneto they're just destroyed.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Modern storm has the slight benefit that her green tile breaking attack when maxed only costs 10 as opposed to classic storm's 12. She's also much easier to level up.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

True, but my Classic Storm's stun and counterattacks are now in the 300-400 damage range. Its murdertime.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The counterattack is really only useful when the other guy is better than you. I like the stun, but I swear blue seems to be the least common color to me.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Managed to get Black Widow (Grey Suit) when I dropped a dollar on this. At level four she does 11 damage per blue, 12 damage per purple and 10 damage per black tile which is a great complement to Iron Man (yellow, red and blue tiles).

Her level 4 green ability does 405 damage for 15 green tiles and at level five this increases to +25% base damage. Granted upgrading her abilities cost hero gold.

Then I dropped $5 for more hero cash, in hopes of getting a Thor green or yellow.

What happened after one Thor pull and two gold packs?

2 Thor Red and 1 Bagman Purple.

:negative:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You can get missions that drop Thor green and yellows in the Oscorp mission line 'Impostors Assemble'. I know the rating says Impossible, but you get levelled Wolverines and Black Widows in those, so just throw in your strongest character as a third and you'll be good.

You do need to unlock it first though. Good luck!

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Looking at what you get back for selling a character, it looks like it just multiplies the current level times 100 ISO on 1 star characters. and 125 per level for 2 star. It doesn't matter what the heck you trained them with so if you use a cover to increase the skills you don't get anything back if you see it unless you level up (and of course leveling up costs more than what you would get back anyway).

I just feel silly having 2 different storms I have both leveled up. I would have kept selling off all those modern covers if I knew.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Kharmakazy posted:

The counterattack is really only useful when the other guy is better than you. I like the stun, but I swear blue seems to be the least common color to me.

Um no.... Pyros and grenaders deal massive damage. Iron man and Thor will also set off the counter attack unless your fighting a newbie team.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I think the point is to kill those guys before their timers go off...

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

SynthOrange posted:

What's not to like about Classic Storm? She's got an amazing stun that hits everyone on the enemy team for damage, an auto counterattack that hits everyone on the enemy team and the same tile shattering attack that regular storm has, except it can also scale up with the number of ap you have.

Pyros, grenadiers and spies used to wreck my day but with Storm classic, Thor and Magneto they're just destroyed.
I like the cheaper shatter because it's generally something I use to get in some free matches rather than something I sit on and stockpile AP for in order clear special tiles because it's random and the only person who really shits up the board with special tiles is Modern Storm. Classic is also G/B/Y which are extremely easy colours to find on a team, on the occasions I've used her the reflect very rarely triggered because I tend to match to prevent nukes and focus fire the nuke character (Iron Man). Modern is weaker in basically every regard, but she has a strong Black stat, shoots out a tonne of Attack tiles, and has a Red ability that doesn't deal as much damage as Repulsor Blast but is cheap and really good at clearing the board of environmental tiles that are generally really low priority to intentionally match but often have a nice bonus activation ability.

I don't not like her because she's not a good character, she just doesn't fit my playstyle or the within the team of characters I prefer. I don't sell her off because she's not Hawkeye bad, I was just idly thinking it'd be pretty cool to trade the covers to someone like yourself who likes and uses her for a character I like and use.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Poor Hawkeye classic. Modern Hawkeye would be neat if his attacks didnt have a 4 round timer. I COULD BE DEAD BY THEN.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

He'd certainly be a lot more improved if his Stun Arrow dealt damage and placed a 4-round stun tile, or stunned and placed a 4-round damage tile, or if his purple also reduced some of the damage dealt to him before passing it on to the rest of your team.

Hawkeye Classic is almost beyond saving as he's not even worth taking the minute you get four characters, let alone once you have two star characters.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Haha yeah Hawkeye is just god awful.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I'm curious what team of mine it keeps sending to fights, because someone beat met that I fought back against who had the lvl 2 Thor, lvl 8 Black Widow, and a level 12 Modern Storm. My go-to Thor team is a 30's Iron Man, 6 Thor, 10 Classic Storm.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I woke up and got pummeled by 5 people while I was sleeping.

Yesterday I started doing all the fights that I was underpowered for. Use one storm and my own lvl 3 Thor and then kill off all but their overpowered ironman. Then use the Thor they provide, the other storm and whoever else to beat the ironman. The "beat within 3" doesn't reset their health, it just gives you whatever was left after the first try.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Keep in mind that they're not fighting you, they're fighting the default AI that happens to be using one of your teams. It makes a big difference when your team doesn't understand L-shapes and prioritizes off-color 4-matches over colors your big skills need.

Also I am so glad I won't be fighting Daken again for a while because jesus is he annoying with skill pop-ups every turn.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

JHVH-1 posted:

I woke up and got pummeled by 5 people while I was sleeping.

Same here. I keep moving around level 600, that Green Thor looks so, so, very far away.

At what point in the storyline does he become available?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Classic storm is great for defending yourself overnight or whatever. People nuke you and take hundreds of damage to each character. Seems like most opponents haven't figured out focus firing her down.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Yeah I'm getting sick of my team being pummeled while I'm at work. They need to curb that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The only solution to that is to make your team too scary looking to bother with.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

This is true - I automatically skip anything with three 1k+ hp people just because it takes ages to maybe scrape out a win, compared to just fighting teams worth single digits who are weak enough to fight multiples of without healing.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

The only solution to that is to make your team too scary looking to bother with.

This is an interesting point - I've noticed that whenever I come across a team with say, 4* Wolverine, I just skip it automatically. Yet I have that character myself, and never use him because he's only got one skill which is pretty poo poo compared to say Storm or Thor, even though at level 1 he's got over 1k HP and double digit dmg in three colours.

Do you guys look at the star ratings and just go "gently caress that" or do you look at the skill colours and decide whether to bother?

(obviously if there's a 4* that's actually levelled up, then gently caress that entirely)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If they have four digit hit points, have multiple levels and have lots of skills, I'm skipping them for easy pickings.

If its a team with Level 2 Thor, Black Widow, Modern Storm or Hawkeye, it's go time.

The win amount obviously comes into play too. If I'm only getting one shield out of it then gently caress that fight.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

SynthOrange posted:

If they have four digit hit points, have multiple levels and have lots of skills, I'm skipping them for easy pickings.

If its a team with Level 2 Thor, Black Widow, Modern Storm or Hawkeye, it's go time.

The win amount obviously comes into play too. If I'm only getting one shield out of it then gently caress that fight.

I think I just killed you in the tournament using pretty much the same team as you, give or take a few levels. I doubt there's multiple synthorange accounts! You can probably beat me right back, too.

EDIT: My ID is Amorgus, FYI

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Looks like the top few people in the tournament are all filthy cheaters like me. Either that or people are spending engagement ring money leveling up classic storm to 50.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahah, you can cheat and still enter tourneys? Oh well.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Ghostlight posted:

This is true - I automatically skip anything with three 1k+ hp people just because it takes ages to maybe scrape out a win, compared to just fighting teams worth single digits who are weak enough to fight multiples of without healing.

I haven't had too much problem with them lately. One team had a level 28 Iron Man but the other characters were so-so. I squeaked out a win on the first or second try on a few of those.

But now I am working for the next few days and probably won't play a whole lot like I was on my day off. At least I'll get 500 iso or something.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

I've asked before, but how does it determine what team shows up for you?

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Hahah, you can cheat and still enter tourneys? Oh well.

Dude, I have a level 49 red hood, and the card only goes to 40. There are zero safeguards against anything. The only saving grace is that a level 100 storm has the stats of a level 1 storm.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

New Leaf posted:

I've asked before, but how does it determine what team shows up for you?

I'm assuming its the last team you went into a fight with at the time your opponent loads up your profile on the battle screen.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

I'm assuming its the last team you went into a fight with at the time your opponent loads up your profile on the battle screen.

Yikes.. that could be the reason I keep getting trounced. Sometimes if I fail a fight on the last opponent, I just come back with the free Thor they give you, plus like Hawkeye and Black Widow just to polish off the last guy.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm getting sloppy blazing through easy fights. "Haha, a level 4 Storm and level 3 Black Widow, this'll be easyOH GOD THOR HAS 3000 HIT POINTS."

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I just destroyed by a similar team. I wiped the weakies in ten turns, then Thor decides it's COMBO TIME and had all three powers going in a whirlwind of sodomy to wipe my whole team in one turn.

I guess you should always make sure the Thor you take on DOESN'T have all three powers.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

SynthOrange posted:

I'm getting sloppy blazing through easy fights. "Haha, a level 4 Storm and level 3 Black Widow, this'll be easyOH GOD THOR HAS 3000 HIT POINTS."

I had an ugly loss to hilarious ping-ponging Storm passives.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Gallow posted:

I just destroyed by a similar team. I wiped the weakies in ten turns, then Thor decides it's COMBO TIME and had all three powers going in a whirlwind of sodomy to wipe my whole team in one turn.

I guess you should always make sure the Thor you take on DOESN'T have all three powers.

Something like that happened to me. What made it worse was it was my second try, only Thor was left and he already had half his hitpoints gone. AI managed to pull of a ton of combos and then blam! power time, and my entire team was down.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

SynthOrange posted:

Last night I spent 3 hours playing and wasn't attacked once, then put the game down and immediately got curbstomped. Do attacks only happen while you're out of battle? Because that could be helpful if you're trying to cling to a ranking and don't care about the battery of your phone.

Money troubles: Can you still get paired with scrub teams in SHIELD Versus when you're relatively high level?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

They don't - I was really chuffed to finish up a fight and hit 500 for my card earlier in the week and immediately after the ISO reward I got a notice saying I'd been attacked and lost enough points to force me to have another battle to hit 500. Your reward points even seem to suffer from this - one of my matches I started was for 28 points and when I finished it I only got 12, presumably because they'd scraped their way up and stopped playing then gotten dogpiled by people like me seeing a weak team worth decent points.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Kharmakazy posted:

Dude, I have a level 49 red hood, and the card only goes to 40. There are zero safeguards against anything. The only saving grace is that a level 100 storm has the stats of a level 1 storm.

That... that's pathetic. What kind of incompetents are running this thing?

"Hey guys, lets just store everything client side and not sanity check anything uploaded to the servers. It's not like it's 2013 and people learned not to do this 15 years ago!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Focusing on the tournament has helped beef up my team. I broke 500 and got the Thor green I was missing.
It gave me enough covers and iso to level up and go back to doing the normal missions.