Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

GTO posted:

I'm not sure it does - this game doesn't feel like 'pay to win', mainly because their pricing model is so ridiculous.

If you could guarantee getting a character for say, $2, and max level them for another $10 then people would be doing it all the time, and to be competitive in events everyone else would have to do the same. But the current prices are literally 20 times higher than that, so no-one really does.

Currently the only thing really worth spending money on is a few bucks here and there for more roster slots, and the mmr system also makes it possible for free players to win.
Every idiot whale who is willing to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars per month on this dumb rear end game will offset a very large number of the "oh I'd spend 2 bux now and then if the prices were good" type of player. Have no misconceptions, the pricing is carefully set to extract the most money from the playerbase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Lofty132 posted:

Yeah I saw a ridiculous Human Torch right off the bat in the new tournament, couldn't believe it.

Was it Battle Angel but spelled with 1337 characters? That's a seeder bot. You can see if they're human or not by trying to check their roster.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I ran into level 90 Torches during the BW tournament already. They're out there.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
I may have gotten down as low as I can in MMR while still using my copy of a character rather than the low level one; apparently someone wasn't able to beat a level 150 spidey that just had level 5 and 8 guys hanging with him.

I wish there was some way to watch the battles your team wins on defense.

BooDaa
Apr 15, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

I ran into level 90 Torches during the BW tournament already. They're out there.

Are we sure those are idiots willing to drop megabucks on an iPhone game and not just cheaters with hacked characters? I know there are programs out there that purport to unlock all the covers and give free HP etc, though I haven't tried them so I don't know if they work or what d3 does to combat them.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nah he was one of those superalliance members, the ones that win the top iso+hp prizes all the time, so he's probably got a ton of hp in the bank for this. vOv

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Had a fun fight in the new Human Torch event, where both my opponent and I had a CStorm. I hit his CStorm hard enough to cause her to retaliate. This did enough damage to my Torch to cause my CStorm to retaliate. This went back and forth a few times until both our Torches were dead, but so was his CStorm. Quick and easy.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Bob Socko posted:

Had a fun fight in the new Human Torch event, where both my opponent and I had a CStorm. I hit his CStorm hard enough to cause her to retaliate. This did enough damage to my Torch to cause my CStorm to retaliate. This went back and forth a few times until both our Torches were dead, but so was his CStorm. Quick and easy.

This kind of thing used to happen all the time before they nerfed CStorm's yellow. Before they nerfed it CStorm's yellow would always hit at full power regardless of the team's health AND it would generate some red AP every time it went off as well.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So everyone's team consisted of Storm, Thor and insert low level punching bag here.

Edit: lol

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 10, 2014

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SynthOrange posted:

So everyone's team consisted of Storm, Thor and insert low level punching bag here.

Edit: lol

Obviously that guy is just very lucky and got all those covers from regular tokens.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

trucutru posted:

Obviously that guy is just very lucky and got all those covers from regular tokens.

I have a hard time seeing why anyone would spend all that money on Torch instead of Patch, so I'm going to assume that's the case.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sefer posted:

I have a hard time seeing why anyone would spend all that money on Torch instead of Patch, so I'm going to assume that's the case.

He is missing the red patch cover so probably he doesn't want to gamble on packs in order to get it. Much better to spend that $$$ on the latest novelty. Got 172,000 ISO laying around? Max that torch.

And that Spidey is not maxed which is also surprising (even if he doesn't really need the levels).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You dont particularly need a high level on Spidey. He doesnt do much damage on his own anyway, and level 100ish is still a lot for healing already. At higher levels he gets out in front more often, and the last thing you want is a dead spidey.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
The one team with a super Torch that I fought was still beatable because his powers suck.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
His Red is pretty sweet when maxed according to his stats posted in the forums. Over 2k for 8 AP and you get 2 AP back.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
This might have been discussed already but when you use a token does the following 'card' image clue you in to what bracket of hero cover you are getting? Or am I hallucinating?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yes.

Boring blue is 1 star.
Detailed blue is 2 star.
Gold is 3 star. Probably 4 star too, since I vaguely remember getting my IW from one.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Yes.

Boring blue is 1 star.
Detailed blue is 2 star.
Gold is 3 star. Probably 4 star too, since I vaguely remember getting my IW from one.

Yup, that's how it works for 4stars. Got disappointed to get an XForce instead of an actually viable 3Star once.

Lofty132 posted:

This might have been discussed already but when you use a token does the following 'card' image clue you in to what bracket of hero cover you are getting? Or am I hallucinating?

It's a really nice way to get surprised with Recruit Tokens. I like to close my eyes and then be immediately disappointed every time I use one, because when it actually pays off it's pretty rewarding.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Indeed, I was pretty happy when I cashed in my Flame Token and saw gold.

OldNorthBridge
Jul 23, 2003

Take your medicine!

I just purchased an 8th spot for bad alliance and someone named nabbiinitalias has applied. Is that one of you goons?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Aside from the obvious benefit of powering up and crushing the AI representatives of your foes, I don't get the point of paying to play this game. You're essentially buying away the reason to play by making future progress negligible since you already have everything.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Aside from the obvious benefit of powering up and crushing the AI representatives of your foes, I don't get the point of paying to play this game. You're essentially buying away the reason to play by making future progress negligible since you already have everything.

I tend to want to collect everything, but they generally release new characters faster than I max out old ones. All but one of my two star characters are maxed out (cover-wise, not level-wise), but I doubt I'll ever reach that with three star characters.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Human Torch's red power can also take out strike tiles. Not too shabby. It does less damage than my Thor's, but the added utility is nice.

networkwolf
Mar 14, 2012
Sooooo for the next Heroic mission, they are:

a) smoothing out scaling to be more gradual - I assume this means they will put in more "re-evaluate" points in the event?
b) raising max enemy level to 400

I will reserve judgement until it comes out, provided that the change really doesn't just make "everything harder" but instead gives the really high level dudes a ceiling to hit and only affects them.

:suicide:

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Roster for Venom Heroic

Torch
Psylocke
Black Panther
Bagman
Hawkeye Modern
2* Wolverine
Storm Modern
IM35

Torch is the only powered up hero.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Largepotato posted:

Roster for Venom Heroic

Torch
Psylocke
Black Panther
Bagman
Hawkeye Modern
2* Wolverine
Storm Modern
IM35

Oh, let's fight Venom, but not let you use the Spider-man you'd actually level up! What a great idea!

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Sefer posted:

Oh, let's fight Venom, but not let you use the Spider-man you'd actually level up! What a great idea!

At least they don't force Bagman on the opening mission.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Largepotato posted:

Roster for Venom Heroic

Torch
Psylocke
Black Panther
Bagman
Hawkeye Modern
2* Wolverine
Storm Modern
IM35

I swear they're trying to screw over the people who sold off theirs during the post-nerf special.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Wow that is a terrible roster.

I have level 50 Iron Man and Storm, and then my next best after that is level 43 Hawkeye. Sorry, team Metal Bawkses :(

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Are these Heroic-only Boosts new, too?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Shroud posted:

I swear they're trying to screw over the people who sold off theirs during the post-nerf special.

Now you're getting it!

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Melissa Benson should sue for copyright infringement.

waffles beyond waffles fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 10, 2014

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
If Rob Liefeld can't be sued, no way is D3 gonna have problems.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Mons Hubris posted:

Wow that is a terrible roster.

I have level 50 Iron Man and Storm, and then my next best after that is level 43 Hawkeye. Sorry, team Metal Bawkses :(

If you can tank it, go for it. If not, no worries.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
None of these characters go together at all.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I can't even get through easy missions without everyone dying in this Heroic Mode. This has to be the worst-planned event since the Thor tournament that was immediately after the funbalancing.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
I'm pretty much doing one heroic mission and then one or two heal runs at Ragnarok back in the prologue. It sucks.

Just uncovered a mission with a level 69 Daken under hard mode. I do not really want to do that fight with a green-needing team and no stuns. At least Johnny can get rid of his red strike tiles, but I've been relying on strike tiles from my Wolverine, too.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Gallow posted:

I can't even get through easy missions without everyone dying in this Heroic Mode. This has to be the worst-planned event since the Thor tournament that was immediately after the funbalancing.
Well, if it makes you feel any better look at the lopsided progression rewards and know that it wouldn't be worth it to try anyway.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Psylocke, Storm and Black Panther complement each other pretty well. Storm eats environment for board shuffling and feeding Panther's strike tiles, which both Panther and Psylocke's black powers can take advantage of (group or single target, respectively). Panther's blue gives some protection and Psylocke's red gives more damage/strike tiles when it's not being used for environment eating.

The only downsides are that nobody's really tanky or offers healing/stuns, and that Storm's green, while good board clearing in a pinch, will also wipe out all your strike/damage/protect tiles. Also since these maps are all city her environment-eating is *only* good for Panther's yellow.

Also, you know, you need Panther and Psylocke. These small character selections make interesting puzzles if you have the guys offered, but are "you're boned" if you have any gaps. I kinda wish they'd offer level 25 or so loaner heroes for these small stables, but that would go against their "give us money for a pull of the slot machine" philosophy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

With no reliable healers, stunlockers, and AP stealers, this event is for those who like to get spanked hard by the AI. I went up against lv. 141 Rag, Daken, and Bullseye in Deadly. I just can't get enough AP and board control with this limited roster to deal damage and win.