Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I was at 498 points, so I did a fight worth 14 so I could get my sweet 100 hero coins or whatever. After I finished the fight, it said I had lost 13 points during it, so I'm now sitting at 499 with 3 minutes left and the servers seem down. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mania
Sep 9, 2004
What the heck, they pushed an update minutes before the end of the tournament? And now I can't connect to the server.

e: And now it's back and the event is finished. I was at the bottom of the Top 10 last I checked, hope I didn't get pushed out.

mania fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 21, 2013

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

New Leaf posted:

I was rank 2, then suddenly I'm rank 9, now I've completely lost connection and can't get back in with 5 minutes left. Ugh.

Yeah I was 3 points away from the 500 prize and they ended it 7 minutes early.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Yeah I stopped bothering at rank 1 a few days ago. Logged in with 55 minutes to go at rank 50something, clawed my way back to 35 before I started getting the "you have no internet!" message. Could have easily added another 200+ points to my score with enough time, the battles weren't particularly challenging and giving 35+ points each.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

MeramJert posted:

I was at 498 points, so I did a fight worth 14 so I could get my sweet 100 hero coins or whatever. After I finished the fight, it said I had lost 13 points during it, so I'm now sitting at 499 with 3 minutes left and the servers seem down. :gonk:

Glad I'm not the only one. Wonder if someone is sabotaging everything just to win.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

And it's over. I ended with 499 points :smithicide:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

poo poo, I was gonna log in the last 5 minutes to make sure I stayed in my prize bracket. No loving idea where I am now - I can only hope my competition made the same mistake.

Terrible for those of you who couldn't get to 500 :(

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
My Comm Link got disrupted again. I just want my silly Captain America

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Leaderboard/Versus server appears to be down for... something.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
New update got pushed completing the tourney. That was pretty uncool and I hope it was ddos that they can fix next time rather than just dickish updating early. Thankfully i stayed in top 10 with 700 something...my bracket seemed to be more chill than my wife's which prolly ended over 1k if the rate kept up.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Ugh, I got in for a second, the "Claim your prize" screen came up, with my "top 10" Captain America and I crashed again. I have to go to bed, but I better have a goddamn Captain America tomorrow morning.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Aw man, someone pushed me out of the top 50, so I ended up with a Freon Beam Iron Man.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

New Leaf posted:

I was rank 2, then suddenly I'm rank 9, now I've completely lost connection and can't get back in with 5 minutes left. Ugh.

Same thing happened to me and now I see other people have captain america in the new tournament. Hrmph

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I barely missed top 50. So bummed. :smith:

e: Still can't connect

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 21, 2013

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

New Leaf posted:

Ugh, I got in for a second, the "Claim your prize" screen came up, with my "top 10" Captain America and I crashed again. I have to go to bed, but I better have a goddamn Captain America tomorrow morning.

Yeah same thing just happened to me. Was just about to tap the claim button when I got a "Comm Link Disrupted" message. This game is a loving mess.

Cowboybot
Sep 27, 2007
On a steel horse I ride
Finally got in, it said I finished in the top 50 and got the Red Cpt. America cover. I was in the top 20 when it poo poo out though...

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I got my Captain, with the red power only since I couldn't make it past #15. He seems pretty cool, but at level 1 his usefulness in the tournament is debatable (even with the 150% buff).

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Will when I was finally able to log in I didn't have my prize cover. Also the new tourney looks like a complete waste of time.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cap's powers. :stare:

Red costs 11 ap, does damage, returns 8 ap in 3 turn timer.
Blue costs 11 ap, stuns, returns 8 ap in 3 turn timer.
Yellow is 19 ap, super beefed up Armored Assault. Creates 3 protect tiles at 19 strength each.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Does his red ability do a good amount of damage?

Oh also I had a good ending. After the servers came back up it decided I reached 500 points and top 50 anyway :unsmith:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It does 40 damage at level 1, so it looks more like Mjolnir's Might-level damage rather than Repulsor Blast.

His base Yellow protect tiles say they are only 5 strength though.

Holy poo poo, his Red/Blue abilities let you select which tile becomes the countdown :stare:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Are there any 4 star heroes other than the X-Force Wolverine?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

MeramJert posted:

Are there any 4 star heroes other than the X-Force Wolverine?

None that I have seen.

Any idea whan is the patch scheduled for?. I've got lvl 1 2 star heroes and haven't seen any changes to the skills, so I guess it isn't here yet.

The way I understand it (at 6AM, so I may be wrong) a cover will upgrade the corresponding skill to the nearest multiple of five. So the best course of action right now would be to keep your covers and bump every skill you can to levels 2, 6, 11 or 16, right?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

That's the way I understand it, too. Also, there seems to be 1 shot to get grandfathered overpowered characters. They're changing it so each ability has 5 levels, but you can only ever get 13 upgrade points. But right now you can upgrade 3 different abilities to level 16 each, which will get bumped up to level 5 once the patch hits.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
It's generous with the IAP rewards this game, I'll give it that. 2 days ago I logged on and got almost 500 ISO and 100 gold. Today I logged on and got 500 from a SHIELD bonus and 250 from the tourney. Had a 1,000 ISO on hand so decided to take a punt on a 500 ISO cover to try my luck, and got a blue Iron Man. :getin:

Bloody fun little time waster this. Sad I was too busy to get a Cap cover, but I'm trucking along nicely. Freeze ray bitches.

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
The 1* tourney was good. Having you in mini-tournaments of 200 players works well. I was able to get 400 points to get a blue iron man ability I didn't have, plus make top 50 just about to get a captain america cover.

The changes look positive (should be possible / useful to level up ** characters)

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Interestingly, I saw this little tidbit on the D3 forums:

quote:

There is a combined limit to how much your Powers can be raised. The levels of all your Powers cannot exceed your character's Potential Max. For example if a character's Potential Max is 50 and he has 3 Powers, he cannot have 3 level 20 powers since 3 x 20 = 60 is greater the Potential Max. He will have to settle for something like 15, 15, and 20. I found out about this the hard way and I wish there was some kind of warning or something.

I had no idea it worked like that, and thankfully haven't gotten a char to that point either, but good to be aware of. Presumably the R40 changes may affect how this works...

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

BGrifter posted:

Yeah same thing just happened to me. Was just about to tap the claim button when I got a "Comm Link Disrupted" message. This game is a loving mess.

Did you actually get the cover? Because I sure as hell didn't. Sent them a bug report. Ugh.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

New Leaf posted:

Did you actually get the cover? Because I sure as hell didn't. Sent them a bug report. Ugh.

Yeah I ended up getting mine after a while. Now I just need another 35-40 or so more.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Well, that was a hot mess last night. I got up to #2 in my bracket late last night, and had the frustration of seeing "You won on your first attempt! +20, 701 points" only to see "You were attacked!" on the very next screen. No Wolverine for me.

That also knocked me down to #3. So I leveled up Iron Man as a ghetto heal because I was out of charges, started one last fight that'd put me one point ahead of the #2 guy, finished it at around 11:54, only to see Comm Link Disrupted! and the update push. I was laughing my rear end off at how loudly people would be screaming over this.

On the plus side, evidently that last fight did go through.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:stare: holy poo poo.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

bubbapook posted:

I had no idea it worked like that, and thankfully haven't gotten a char to that point either, but good to be aware of. Presumably the R40 changes may affect how this works...
There is a warning somewhere, I think in the screen after you retreat from a battle.

Which, by the way, you can do even in the middle of the enemy turn. It would have saved me some headaches during the tournament if I had pulled out as soon as Storm got a cascade out of her green power. Instead, I stupidly waited for Black Widow to steal my gems and Iron Man to shoot me repeatedly in the face.

^^^^^^
EDIT: Tell me you have a Spidey to go with that monstrosity.

EDIT EDIT: I've just been hit by a 500+ attack by a lvl 21 Hawkeye (1-star) with 2 purples+crit. It's twice what I get with a level 50 Iron Man on 2 red tiles plus critical. Taking another look at his stats, he has pretty good damage per tile, but also a x6.8 critical damage, and I assume it grows higher. He may be even useful on some maps.

Usefulness of the gimmick aside, I like the thought that's gone into the heroes design. +Crit is very appropriate Hawkeye, and I hope we end up with a number of different viable teams.

Liking the game so far.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 21, 2013

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I really wish I could pay 20 bucks and play the (really fun) base game without all the annoying timers-and-limited-inventory IAP bullshit.

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
You can for $3.99:
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/puzzle-quest-2/id398687544?mt=8

Black Bo[X]
Feb 18, 2001

Fat Samurai posted:

EDIT EDIT: I've just been hit by a 500+ attack by a lvl 21 Hawkeye (1-star) with 2 purples+crit. It's twice what I get with a level 50 Iron Man on 2 red tiles plus critical. Taking another look at his stats, he has pretty good damage per tile, but also a x6.8 critical damage, and I assume it grows higher. He may be even useful on some maps.

Usefulness of the gimmick aside, I like the thought that's gone into the heroes design. +Crit is very appropriate Hawkeye, and I hope we end up with a number of different viable teams.

Liking the game so far.

Hawkeye's stats and crit multiplier get a 1.5x boost this tournament and crit doesn't increase per level unfortunately. That being said, his natural crit (4.5) is the highest of the heroes I've seen.

Black Bo[X] fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 21, 2013

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

That's missing a lot of this iteration's unique features, like targeting team members to remove abilities, altering available abilities and playstyle by team makeup, and the attack/shield/timer tile mechanics. I enjoy this base game way more than I did PQ2. I don't enjoy every game on ios using timers now.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I could use a few more covers to upgrade my dudes, but I assume it's best to hoard gold coins until the update comes along, right?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

"Black Bo[X posted:

" post="420770266"]
Hawkeye's stats and crit multiplier get a 1.5x boost this tournament and crit doesn't increase per level unfortunately. That being said, his natural crit (4.5) is the highest of the heroes I've seen.

Dammit, I though it was a clever feature :(

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Cap is pretty nice (even with just Peacemaker, he's nasty at one-on-one lockdown if you place your tiles right) but he's a double-edged sword in the new tournament. The buff he gets makes even a low-level Cap your front man most of the time (even with an Iron Man 32 and Thor 16, my board is mostly stars), and a low-level Cap is low in HP and, therefore, frequently dead.

The red power is underwhelming because you generally have better uses for red APs (particularly in an Avengers tournament when he's coupled with Iron Man, Thor or both).

Yellow is expensive (nineteen points is two and a half Armored Assaults), and once again, I channel lots of yellow into Thunder Strike to smash guys flat. On the flip side, being able to PLACE your souped-up protect tiles is big because you might actually hang onto them for more than a turn or two. Armored Assault just loves to drop them right where they'll be matched quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I have the same issue with my level 12 or so Thor. Who cares that he has 1300 hp when his non-special attacks are so weak that he's never out front to take a hit?