Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Wow, those sure are some lovely prizes in the weekend Black Widow event. Everyone will be doing rating limbo trying to avoid getting above 150 for the standard token instead of a Widow Modern cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I was writing off the top 25, ranks 26-75 are Widow Modern. Even if the new Widow does turn out to be good, I doubt I'll see enough covers to get her to a usable level any time soon.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Yeah it's like Magneto Now's ability just a less desirable color. I'd love to get enough covers to run one. At least I can grind out the rating reward ones this weekend and I'm at 1/1/1 from an event last week.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

SynthOrange posted:

We'll get the same reward though. :v: I'm resting up for one last push in the last hour.

Yeah I'm trying to decide whether to keep myself top two in my super weak bracket or drop into top ten for the two Loki covers. Long term Wolverine is cool and all, but it seems like assembling a play set of Lokis is a lot more likely.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

delfin posted:

And here I'm debating if I want to drop DOWN into 26-50 and get the last Daken cover I need.

I mean, yeah, if I had a 5/5 Loki I could find uses for him. A 1/1 not so much.

As for Widow Original, I'm curious if the cover itself has significance -- only Moonstone's cover has anyone on it who's not currently in the game, and that's arguable (that's Normie in the Iron Patriot suit). Original Widow shows Jean Grey and the Scarlet Witch.

My bracket is comically weak. I'd have to drop 900 points to fall out of the top ten.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Honestly I think the PVP would be better if they took retaliations out entirely.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Shwqa posted:

Yeah I thought it was better without the retaliation. That way every fight didn't devolve into a pissing match where you lose points at the worst time.

I rarely get attacked by anyone I'd want to fight back against, maybe one in ten aren't an auto-skip. It's usually people with at least two 100+ characters and a maxed level Classic Storm or Thor.

Edit: Someone made the case for the 4th Green cover earlier in the thread. Personally I'm going 5/5/3 as I feel like real world cases where you get an odd extra point of yellow from a four match, or the five point environmental tile bonus, throw off the numbers enough. Plus I tend to run my Thor with Classic Storm so I rarely use Thor's green ability, if I have the points I'd rather shatter the board and swing the red/yellow combo again.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 16, 2013

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
:sigh: Kind of pissed. Got up to 1185 when I ran out of health packs so I took a break. They turned on counterattacks and now I've lost over 400 points in the last hour. Won about 300 but it's pretty much impossible for me to get that 500 Hero Points reward.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

SynthOrange posted:

Same here. I dont want Xforcerine!

I'm lucky my bracket is so weak, #10 only has 376 points so I'm safe for the Loki reward I want. Taking 30 point hits left and right here.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

seravid posted:

I think the game counts your last match, even if the event finishes while you're in-game. Confirm/deny?

I think so. I believe that's why it takes a few minutes for the rewards to get handed out.

The person who hopped ahead of me into the #1 spot tanked a bunch of points too so I ended up back in first with eight minutes to go. Might end up with X-Force Wolverine instead of Loki after all.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Yeah, rewards just went through, X-Force Wolverine with around 900 points last time I looked. Crazy bracket. Only three people over 900 points with an hour to go in the event.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Interesting. X-Force Wolverine comes at level 30 and his yellow ability creates a five turn countdown tile that heals for 420hp and another 42 for every yellow AP. Could actually be useful to heal guys up on safe PVE missions between PVP battles.

Nice unexpected perk.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Grinding out 3k in the Juggernaut event for that blue Iron Man 40 cover is tedious as hell. Hopefully something around 3k will be enough to keep me in the top 15 and I won't have to grind much past that.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

seravid posted:

3k?! Last time I checked 1k was good enough for a spot in the top 15. How do you even get that many points? Just replay that last mission over and over again?

In my bracket 2633 is enough for 4th place right now with a couple days remaining. Top player is just over 4k, 10th place 2219.

Yeah, grinding the last mission for 28 points per is the way. Shwqa is using the same strat I am, shove Hawkeye in front of the bus to trigger Classic Storm, use the red AP generated to fire off hammers and clean up. It's a good quick strategy, but if I get starved for purple/environmental tiles sometimes Storm/Thor get chewed up a bit. Losing two health packs to a string of improbable crit cascades is pretty frustrating.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Might as well ride the Classic Storm train as hard as possible now, seems rather likely either a nerf or a hard counter character has to be in the works. Maybe a character with a passive that absorbs damage from other passives and reflects it all back to the counter, forcing Storm to instantly one shot herself?

Or maybe start making the free dummy characters high enough HP that it becomes hard to trigger. The Loki lightning rounds were the sweet spot for Loki/Thor/CStorm, low HP and high enough purple/black attack that he got priority on those tiles. Ragnarok was the total opposite and made CStorm abuse not worth it beyond the first 500 points for the two tokens.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I'm planning 5/5/3 not because I have any enthusiasm for the level five blue ability, but because ranks four and five of the yellow ability make it actively worse. I'd happily leave it at rank two if I could and still max level. Of course once I hit 3k rating mine will be up to 3/1/3 so that's a lot of red and blue covers for a character that isn't really that good.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
The randomness of Juggernaut point farming is starting to get to me. Most games I shove Hawkeye out front to eat a few hits and mop up with minimal damage taken. Some games the 1-3 matches the computer gets chain a bunch of crits in a row obliterating my whole team in one turn. (83 Thor, 85 Storm so not exactly a small amount of HP)

On the bright side I broke 3k and got my blue Iron Man 40 cover. I think I'll keep going a bit longer to build up a buffer then switch to the Black Widow event.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Welp, looks like that's a wrap for tonight. #3 in the Juggernaut tournament with 3632 points. #1 has 5019, #2 4257 and #4 3110. The number #10 person in my bracket has 2501 so I feel good about my chances of maintaining top 15 for the three Grey Widow covers.

Hopefully when I wake up the leaderboard won't have changed much so I can get started on the Widow tournament.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Heh, what a loving joke. -102 points in about 30 seconds.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Don't bother grinding the Widow event for at least 4-5 more hours. All my opponents are worth 1-4 points each and I just lost over a hundred points in 30 seconds. It's pretty much pointless to grind until the last hour of the event.

Edit: From around 940 points to 701 now. Wow.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 17, 2013

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

SynthOrange posted:

edit oh god this Thor just did two cascading critical 5-matches. My Thor's nearly dead.:negative:

I had a match this morning vs a level 100+ Ragnarok where the UI did it's first turn match and cascaded into six straight five match criticals. I was not amused.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Marvel Puzzle Quest.jpg

Then I had a fight where turn one the enemy cascaded into a five match that made their Storm crit my Thor for over 3k triggering a Storm passive battle. :sigh:

Edit: Oh and for the record that took place over a 3 minute break I took.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Yeah that's pretty much a gimme for everyone with exploited or huge spending 100+ Ragnaroks.

Doubt I'll be able to make much of a dent with unlevelled 3/1/3 Iron Man 40, 1/0/1 Magneto Classic and hopefully tomorrow 2/2/3 Black Widow Grey. I guess I could try 1/1 Ragnarok instead.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
:sigh: Had a roughly 40 point lead in first place when the event ended.

Top 10 finish. :suicide:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
What sort of defensive setups were you guys with 800+ points running? Any time I got even close to 800 points I'd take a beatdown like above where I'd lose 100-150 points. I probably lost somewhere in the neighborhood of 700-800 points in the last day alone.

My team was the pretty standard 85 Thor/85 Classic Storm/Suicide Widow.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Stickman posted:

As a counter-point, I deliberately attacked ever leveled widow team I came across, since every widow match against my dummy widow was guaranteed to set off storm. Leveled widow teams were probably the shortest matches! The only teams I had trouble against were spideynoks, because gently caress that noise and anyone who lucked/cheated/bought there way into one!

I actually didn't find the Spidey/Ragnarok teams a problem. Focus the Spidey and deny blue/red matches for a pretty easy win. If they score a Blue match Widow did an excellent job of eating the one stun they'd get off, often triggering Storm's passive right after. Usually the teams with both I encountered only had Spidey to around 70-80 and Rag around 100. If I was up to 10 of them I'd burn a +3 Blue/Purple boost to start the match and usually by the time I whittled Spidey down with Storm passives and straight matches I could use Storm's blue ability to lock down the sole remaining Rag.

Winning matches was never really a problem though. I had little trouble chaining wins to get up to 1k on my first batch of health packs. It was losing 100+ points to losses often during the duration of a single match that took less than a minute and earned me 15-25 points if I was lucky.

I guess the other way of looking at it is that I barely slipped into third place after the event was finished. A ten point swing the other direction would have probably kept me in top two.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Holy poo poo, I hadn't looked at the prize structure till just now but whomever said "rich getting richer" earlier was dead on. Spider-Man covers galore for the top 25 (all likely running Spiderman/Ragnarok), while the scrubs get Juggernaut covers and Dakens. If you're really lucky you can grind your way up to a Red Captain America cover you'll never use.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Wow. Top two in my Juggernaut bracket are over 10k. My 5412 is good enough for 4th place with a bunch of people catching up. Dropped to 8th overnight.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

delfin posted:

It's fun to be in the Overachievers' Bracket.

I'd kill to be in a bracket that slack. Top two in my current bracket are 12101 and 11082 points. I fell to 10th place at 5538 right now. Going to have to grind hard to stay top 15 tonight.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
So jealous. 5706 got me upto #8. Grinding away for 6k before I take a dinner break.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Our third person just broke into the 10k range. Gurggled still sits at the top of the list at 12605. So much mindless grinding.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

SynthOrange posted:

Phew. A bit of churn going on at the top of my bracket. I hope I stick in the top 15.

I'm down to #7 at 5874 points but I have most of my health packs back and Thor/Storm almost ready to go. Should be able to put together a decent push in the last hour and get up to 6500ish at least.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

SynthOrange posted:

Settled in at #10. Lots of activity going on above me, but the next 4 people down have a range of 200 points to get up to me. Hope that's enough.

edit: UH OH MOVEMENT, MOVEMENT DETECTED!

Yeah I'm sitting comfortably at #10 with 6003 points. #14 has 5663 so I'm pretty much set.

Edit: Top two are at 14195 and 14102 points each.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Someday the Bag-God will crush you all. You will tremble before his ridiculous might in the Bag-Man/Hawkeye/Yelena Belova only tournament.

I need to figure out what to sink ISOs into now that I have Classic Storm and Thor maxed. I've got a 5/5 Daken so that's a possibility. All my 3*s are many covers away from the cap, so throwing ISOs at a 3/1/3 Iron Man 40 or 2/2/3 Black Widow Grey seems ill advised till I get more covers. (cap on my current Widow is only 64) Currently up to 18385 ISOs and itching to burn some.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Yeah I have both Daken and Venom in the high 20s, may finish off Daken for now and stockpile ISOs hoping to get a few more 3* covers down the road. I've just been a little reluctant to invest in Daken considering how I jump on any Daken/Wolverine teams I see as they tend to be easy pickings for Thor/CStorm.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Dravs posted:

Yes but he would also lose that. As long as you could starve the board of yellows he should go down pretty quick.

That's what Thor is for, spam that hammer!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Yeah I stopped doing any of the other stages after the last batch of lightning rounds. Not only do boosted environmental tiles crank out absurd amounts of free AP, they shove your cannon fodder villain out front to eat hits/possibly trigger CStorm. So ridiculously good.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

delfin posted:

Snuck into the top 100 in the Loki Lightning Round and got a Heroic Token, which got me... Magneto Now! Blue.

My Magneto Now! Blue is 5/1/1 already. :allears:

I want a 5/5/3 Magneto Now! so drat bad.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Whomever decided giving Ragnarok 12k+ HP was a good idea needs to find a new job. My skip button is getting one hell of a workout today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Deathwing posted:

Anyone else not received their prize yet from the Loki round that ended 20 minutes ago? Force-quit and restarted the app a half-dozen times, but nothing yet.

I'm guessing someone is sitting there with the app open to an unfinished battle so the tournament can't end.