Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

delfin posted:

On the contrary, I used the poo poo out of it. Start a fight with a couple of red matches and Rags became a one-man wrecking crew; quite often you could spam Thunderclap to generate 20-30 Green AP, spam Godlike Power and get a red match or two out of the resulting cascade, and repeat until enemies are deaded.

I can see the need for _a_ nerf but I'm not exactly fuckin' dancing over having a 115 Ragnarok now. They will nerf All Tied Up at some point and then I will need to SET poo poo ON FIRE because of how many HPs I've pumped into Spidey and Rags. At least this should improve team diversity -- I'm considering Classic Mags / Spidey / IM40, Hulk / Grey Widow / Spidey, some other concepts at the moment, though Hulk needs more covers.

Most people would've used that green to make more Wolverine strike tiles or for some board resets with Storm. Or for team damage with Grey Widow. I can see the appeal of Godlike Power but the gains vs AP cost just isn't worth it if you have good teammates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

They really should've just changed the ability entirely if they couldn't balance it without making it Mjolnir's. Why do we have four characters who use lightning and yet not a single one breaks tiles in a vertical lightning-bolt shape?

Isn't that Godlike Power?

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Varinn posted:

The fact that you think IAP abilities should be immune to nerfs in a multiplayer game is insane. Ragnarok was absolutely tedious and lovely to play against, and all the people freaking out because they dropped dollars to buff his crazy op abilities should probably think a little harder about their future purchases.

I think everything should be immune to nerfs and everything else should've been buffed to make Thunderclap seem average. :colbert:

That way the value of whatever you bought never directly decreases.

For the people who play the Marvel Avengers Alliance game on Facebook or Playdom it's essentially the same thing. They release something obviously overpowered, on purpose, and then PVP becomes a total clusterfuck if you don't have the item/character. But after the initial month or so passes they nerf it to the ground after most people have spent real money (or the equivalent in-game currency) on those purchases.

Eddain fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jan 10, 2014

Eddain
May 6, 2007
If they nerf Thor/Wolverine/Spiderman/Magneto, how are you realistically supposed to take on these L240 missions? Your regular matches do piddly poo poo for real damage unless you have Wolverine Strike tiles on the board (pray there's no L240 Bullseye), and you're really reliant on instant-burst nukes from Thor/Magneto to take out a healer like Daken. And without a reliable stun from someone like Spiderman (Black Widow dies if anyone even looks at her), Juggernaut/Moonstone/Ares will just one-shot someone in your team.

Oh, I know, pay HP for those special event boosts.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

Speaking of Hulk tank, it really feels like his Anger should be activating more than it does, and it sometimes activates when I wouldn't think it would.

I think the other problem is that when he gets boosted in these events his HP becomes too high for regular matches to trigger Anger. My Hulk has almost 10,000hp with the event buff and so it takes a single 500dmg hit to trigger Anger.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I dislike most skills that place random countdown tiles because it's simply too random. If it requires a specific color tile, that could be the next thing matched (or you lack one on the board and can't even use your skill). If it picks a random tile to change into a colored countdown tile it could place itself between two like colors and clear itself with a match. And if you're facing anyone with board clearing abilities or environmental skills then your ability gets wasted too.

It's like that planned Invisible Woman upgrade with the random yellow invisibility tile. You pay 18 yellow for an ability that could get cleared out immediately next turn if it was placed in a bad spot and the AI guns for it. I'd rather pay a bit more AP for the ability to place it where I want, like Captain America's skills. The enemy will rarely ever get a chance to wipe them out with regular matching if you're smart with their placement.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

MMAgCh posted:

Perhaps I'm just terrible at that sort of game, but when I tried Candy Crush the other day I fairly quickly got to a point where it became blindingly obvious that they expected me to pay for boosters/additional lives so I could keep playing (as apart from sheer dumb luck, there was no way to complete levels otherwise any longer). Not being someone who's into mobile games in general, I actually found that almost offensive and promptly deleted it. :shobon:

Supposedly the game gives you impossible starting boards expecting you to buy/use a booster in order to complete it. After a certain amount of tries and you don't bite on that IAP the starting board miraculously clears itself with a simple move, moving you on the next level where the cycle repeats.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
The prize gap between the lovely Punisher black and Ares triple made me not even bother trying to get a high score. Having to jump 60 ranks just to get two Punisher covers instead of one is not worth it.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
A 240 Juggernaut will ruin you so fast if you lack a reliable way to stun him up. 240 Moonstone is also pretty nuts if she gets her nuke off. Don't even try whittling down a 240 Daken or Bullseye.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Looks like if you're at the very top missions will still give you 1pt minimum. Better than not giving you anything at all but I still don't think I'd bother running a mission hundreds of times to secure my lead, especially when the missions increase in difficulty when you beat them.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Ares is simply not balanced as a L240 enemy. I don't see how anyone could beat those L240 missions without a high-level Spiderman to keep Ares from one-shotting people on your team.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I can't even place high in the PVE event 'cause I only have a green cover Patch and I'm forced to take him into L200+ missions. The mini-events should reset and not maintain the difficulty from the previous mini-event.

I'm barely squeaking by with copious Spidey stun/heal abuse. None of these missions would be playable without him.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Wow they just made all "standard" builds of Wolverine and Thor useless. They also nerfed Thor's red and yellow damage, and their tile generation too. Thor is like the standard nuking-type character who you use to blast someone down fast. Now he can't even do that since his power move is 14 green now.

With them nerfing Strike tiles and efficient nuking powers, how the hell will you fight high level Daken/Bullseye now? And if I want to rebuild my Wolverine/Thor from scratch I have to spend like 80,000 ISO.

poo poo, if they ruined these characters this much I'm afraid of what they plan to do with Spiderman.

edit: Didn't notice the increased tile generation for Thor yellow. So 12 yellow to create 9 green tiles with some damage. Thor 5/5/3 can still work as long as you just use the yellow to feed Grey Suit's green (much higher damage for only 5 more AP).

Eddain fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 28, 2014

Eddain
May 6, 2007

trucutru posted:

Is there any point in doing these missions the night before or are the points you get in the last hour the only thing that matters? Is the rubberbanding really *that* bad?

I joined the last mini-event with about 40 minutes to spare and got to #9 before the difficulty became too much for my 1-cover Patch. I ended up in the top 25.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Their pricing model is so ridiculous. 100HP for 3AP to all colors in one fight, or 100HP for one spin of the daily heroic token.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
What's with that other Marvel card-game, MARVEL War of Heroes by Mobage?

Eddain
May 6, 2007

trucutru posted:

While you do need some serious puzzling skills to do the special dungeons on their highest difficulty the game usually provides you with an easier option (exception: Zeus, Athena, and a few others) that can usually be done with simple mono-color teams, which are much easier to play.

I use a matchmaking app from time to time when I am farming a dungeon and want to do it as fast as possible, but my skills have improved tremendously since I started playing. The cheating apps are fine to grab rare drops but being good enough to use some of the more demanding monsters is very satisfying.

But yeah, the re-rolling at the start is brutal indeed. I wonder why haven't they added a "skip tutorial" option after all this time.

It gets a lot easier after a few months of playing though. There's this poster in my living room with a bunch of square pictures on it, and whenever I see it my mind automatically starts organizing it PAD-style.

Eddain fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 30, 2014

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Lofty132 posted:

Just started playing this game, got level 12 Iron Man 35, 6 Storm Modern, 6 BW Modern and 6 Bullseye. I seem to be in a position where I am either doing PVP for virtually no reward or the only PVE fights available to me are 'deadly'. Am I doing it wrong or is this par for the course? Considering dropping a little cash on coins to speed things up but not if it doesn't change much.

Don't do it. The game has become pretty harsh for newcomers right now.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I've only gone down two ranks since yesterday. It's basically just the whales playing while everyone else sits it out. It's completely ridiculous how all the fights are with L140+ enemies now and the only powered up hero they give you is loving Daredevil, who barely came out last event.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Bruceski posted:

For the low low price of hundreds of dollars you too can be a whale.

It's like what, $50 to get a 3* star skill from lvl 1 to lvl 5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eddain
May 6, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

Dude, at least with PaD, once you get a god, unless you're gonna be Moby Dick and roll for like 15 more copies of the god to try and skill it up or something, that's it. You're done. Your god is just as good as anyone else's if you just give it the time--the luck portion of getting it is over.

In MPQ's system you have to roll the god a minimum of 2 more times (if you're gonna spend money to skill it up), and a maximum of 12 more times times to maximize its potential, not just in terms of the getting all the skills but in order to be able to feed it exp and level it up at all.

It's actually much more than 12 times since you're also looking for specific color covers. You could get Spiderman 50 times for all you want but if it's 50 Purple he's poo poo useless still.