Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Well hey, at least the Rags nerf made it possible for me to beat the only Prologue PvE event I hadn't finished.

...wait, is there no more PvE content after Dark Avengers, right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

delfin posted:

EDIT: Well, THAT'S a new enemy type, the Empiricist.

"Unstable Blasts: 7 Red AP, The Brotherhood Experiment channels a wild burst of energy, going 210 damage, or 420 if damage if there are more than 5 strike tiles."
I guess that's one approach to dealing with Wolverines everywhere.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Veryslightlymad posted:

I think he problem with buffing all of the "lovely" covers is that it turns a lot of matches into a coinflip. If everyone is capable of sick burst damage with little drawbacks, then it's just a mad dash to gobble up your best color of AP and hope you get it before the computer does.
Yeah? This is a single-player match-3 game (even with the PvP-by-proxy tournaments). This one doesn't have time limits on turns or anything beyond: taking your best turn, using as many skills as you can, and making the best matches you can arrange. The alternative is the interminable loving slog matches are turning into now, where you either need to spend half your gains on boosts (in the PvE events) or just mash skip until you find a team you can beat and that's worth beating (in PvP). The very last bit's same as it ever was if you're a casual player, only now people who didn't get really lucky on covers from tokens are stuck with the C-list you can get through Prologue play.

I guess that's the scummiest thing of this to me: Thor and Wolverine's ubiquity wasn't just that they were mathematically really strong (blah blah cover balance slow jerk blah blah) but that you can actually start building them decently as a new player. And unlike the other characters you can do that for, they had more than 2 skills, neither of which are that good (Juggernaut, Venom), and don't die to a stiff breeze (Hawkeye, Storm, Black Widow). So of course everyone uses them for that, and invests in them, and everyone else uses them because they're also still worth using later. And now they're only worth using because they're the only high-level characters some of us have.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

The rewards for this Wolverine tournament being Thors, that's just them being assholes, isn't it.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I'm going to miss this event, because actually using Daken has been refreshing and fun.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

So, did I miss something or did they lie about the whole "bonus iso-8 decreases for Skips" thing, because I'm seeing a pay-10-iso-per-skip tax straight up in this current tourney.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

chrisf posted:

Last update I saw on that from their forums was that it's not supposed to be active yet (coming in R48?) and if you're seeing that you should put in a support ticket.
It went away after I exited and reentered the game, but it's funny because I thought they'd said that the system they were going to use was the +30/20/10/0/-10 after a win, instead of just slow bleeding forever.

One of those is way more MPQ, though.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Call Me Charlie posted:

It installed an update when I opened Steam and now every boost, except 20% on critical matches, has been "retired". So have fun with that I guess.

What a waste of ISO.
Every time I start to feel like this game might not be run by grubby, scummy assholes they squirt out lovely little surprises like this.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Daken needs to be funbalanced. Almost every team has him and, if you get an unlucky board, he can easily put enough strike tiles on the board to smash your team before you can get anything going.
Well, he's an easy-to-get 2-star who synergizes well with the most commonly-used color (green). There's no way he's not going to get destroyed pretty soon so we can all scramble to find someone else who isn't poo poo.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

SynthOrange posted:

I'm glad they're holding off on funbalancing stuff because everyone hates that poo poo and they never seem to time the announcements very well and it stirs up a ton of bad sentiment. Still it'd be good to know what the hell's going to happen to my Spider-Man.
Well, if they go the Wolverine route they'll funbalance him just in time to add a Black Costume Spider-Man with busted moves that go unpatched for one tournament. Or they could go the Thor route and funbalance him in favor of adding a 4-star Superior Spider-Man with better stats, who you can use to the exclusion of the old version in an event/tournament series.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

death .cab for qt posted:

It's just lovely. They could have boosted heroes instead, or they could have made it so only certain heroes (and their variants) could be used, but the current list is just crappy. It's not even stupid hard missions, it's "you're going to lose because we aren't letting use your good characters, welp cya"

Guarantee that heroic mode venom is going to be just as bad, probably locking you down to Gray Black Widow, Spider-Man (the only good cover), and four covers that are either complete trash or were just introduced (so good luck having them maxed)
Yeah, the fact that you can't even use funb-Thor, unboosted, is a huge flashing "pay us" sign. Like with the Magneto events it made sense because it was the hero cover vs the villain-lightning-rounds one, but this is just: get the better version or don't bother. And the Mags event at least boosted other people.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Arschlochkind posted:

With less than a minute to go showing in the Juggs event I was at #9, but I just got Top 20 prizes. gently caress. :ssj:

edit: Everybody in the top 15 had over 25k points. My special token was a loving modern Hawkeye. rear end.
I got a Now! Thor. The game laughs.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

And an old-Thor cover I already had maxed out of the gimme Super Soldier token in the new event. Off to a rollicking start.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Are these Heroic-only Boosts new, too?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Gallow posted:

I can't even get through easy missions without everyone dying in this Heroic Mode. This has to be the worst-planned event since the Thor tournament that was immediately after the funbalancing.
Well, if it makes you feel any better look at the lopsided progression rewards and know that it wouldn't be worth it to try anyway.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

So the first round, I got a Falcon cover from the first Highly Trained token...and now the second round's super-extra-best-buddy for all the bonus events is Loki, who I actually have? I think I like this event.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

SynthOrange posted:

I dont know if you need to nerf MStorm. She goes down in a single hit from a 3* ability. :v: (yes thats how I've been wrecked on a few of my Doom matches, not counting the enemy buildup and POW, Hulk punches her lights out)
She's useful and easy to acquire, by the law of funbalance that means she's easily going to be the next Thor/Wolv (probably by limiting the number of Enviro tiles she can pop or drastically raising the AP cost). And then as soon as there's a good Marvel Now! cover to use she'll get a Lazy iteration.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

God forbid it doesn't take you the first day or two of an event and/or owning the mission-mandatory characters to reach the first token break-point.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

gromdul posted:

What are the rewards for the IM40 tournament?
Ragnarok and Moonstone. Try to contain your excitement over these phenomenal opportunities.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

McDragon posted:

Ha, he looks like a bad Superman knock-off. The power of one million exploding suns is a bit poo poo apparently, judging by his abilities.
Sentry's a bold new design innovation: a lazy version of a character that didn't even have an original.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

So what event is the current Classic Storm going to be used for? They've been throwing covers for her at us like crazy for the last two or three events. Not that I'm complaining, I got her up to 5/2/5 from the last few rounds of covers.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

What happened? I usually don't play when I don't have this thread around to remind me the game exists.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Nothing can stop this game from killing our desire to play it

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

LazySpidey and LazyOBW will inevitably provide true heals, of course.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

A funny-stupid-obvious thing I hadn't even considered until playing a few games yesterday is that the burst of health change ONLY punishes active players---in PVP, the defender having burst-of-health instead of true-healing doesn't matter because your guys start with max HP on defense anyway. Same for PVE, bursts just increase the time you're in a fight against someone but don't actually help you meaningfully most of the time.

It's genius in how terrible it is, really. It makes both PVE and PVP sloggier and more painful to chain on offense while not changing the underlying mechanics of defense. You just straight up are playing a different game on O vs D.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

It's so stupid that it's funny in light of the fact that 2 of the limited roster you can use for this Heroic event are: OBW, and MStorm.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

From enough points to get 2 DP covers before the "crash" or whatever, to getting a Wolverine cover after things settle down.

Well, gently caress this game's stupid loot treadmill for awhile I guess.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Wet Biscuit McGlee posted:

Yep, they're protesting a game by spending money on it.
Hey, when all you have is a hammer.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Well, today's Deadpool event is a thousand times harder than it needs to be, because the Wave 2 Captain Marvel in the unlocked event has a bugged Energy Absorption (it's triggering on every instance of damage, regardless of how much) so she caps out at 30 red AP in no time. And then the Cap in Wave 4 just spams 2k damage shield strikes as a result.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

AnonSpore posted:

Mooks feeding boosted heroes AP are literally Hitler.
OBW+Cap+Daken will take forever to kill stuff (until like half the board is strike tiles and you're rotating through a full pool of reds for shield tosses), but have gotten me through every Deadpool wave event since the dailies started, while also guaranteeing the hero waves start without any AP and that the last of 4 on the special-difficulty (guaranteed hero cover) waves will start with 2 folks stunlocked from shields and the third hungry for anything to do.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Getting into an empty bracket is amazing, I just got top 5 in the Fist Pump tournament without having a single Iron Fist cover. And now my Luke is 4/1/3. Hell yeah.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

AnonSpore posted:

Yeah but you also have the chance of getting into the very end of an already stacked bracket, and that means you won't be able to build up points for the 10 pack and all the other assorted goodies. I guess you'd have to strike it lucky like two or three times throughout the season to make it worth it.
It's probably the most PvP I've done in this game in like 6 months or so, I'm just glad I got it on one of my favorite characters.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

StumblyWumbly posted:

What time do you join to try for the very end? Like 5 minutes before ending or an hour?

If there are any other tricks like this, let me know. I just join events and grind poo poo out, and I don't think I've gotten top 100 in PvP yet, but I should get top 50 in the simulator, depending on the next round of essentials
I just joined an 8 am bracket at like 4 pm the day before it ended. In general I feel like going for the 1/4/8 am brackets for events in general has been a lot kinder to me, because the people that REALLY grind it out will slack off overnights. Like I went to bed 2nd in Fist Pump and woke up 5th.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

It's so weird, but between the Deadpool Dailies and the Team-Up change, this game is actually...fun? Now?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

They announced big nerfs to MnMags, Mystique, Thora and added a new skill to Ragnarok and made his green worse. What a day for MPQ
That's an impressively bad set of changes to Ragnarok, who was already terrible, wow.

Like yes, I remember the days when he had a power that cost 2 AP, but still. They just really don't know what they want to do with him, and that blue is trash (and then made his red bad, because it now feeds into his lovely new power).

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Can't wait for 4-star Magneto with the functionality of old 2-star back in place.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Scyantific posted:

So aside from the obvious "OBW's Blue heals the damage from Ares' Sunder," what's special about the OBW/Ares combo? Is it just because they cover all the colors with lots of damage? I've had some real good runs with Thor/Wolvie/OBW because once you cover the board in strike tiles OBW just obliterates everything when it comes to Blue/Black/Purple matches.
In addition to the color coverage and blue working well for mitigating Sunder, her purple steal means that, for the dailies anyway, you can usually do a nice Onslaught - Recon/Recon - Onslaught on the last wave of things.

Personally, I've been super lucky with Luke covers so I've been running Cap/OBW/Luke for the 2or3-star (guaranteed-cover) daily chunk. It's missing green, which is a little annoying, but on the other hand you can just hilariously truck the last two waves by getting a good black AP buffer going and then spamming his Jabs and using Recon to pull more black (which the computer almost always has a ton set aside from mook waves with doombots or maggia dons in them). Plus his yellow is an easy 3-4k damage that you can do twice in a full yellow set (3 times if you were lucky enough to get 30 purple for 3 Recons). Not that anything lives long enough for it to matter by that point. And then your reds and blues are going to shield throws for getting rid of lovely countdown tiles in between.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Applied to join Metal Bawkses as PuppyBowl, so maybe I can take advantage of all these stupid 3 star guys I've been rolling in since the DP Dailies started

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Punisher is pretty ok for the big bot too, since his red is basically a 4k nuke when used late. Too bad his green is a 50 50 for clearing bombs or getting you cascaded on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Awesome, I killed a stunned Teitasu in today's DP Daily and it bugged out and spammed Turn to Smoke until the board was full.