Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Just going to chime in on the Iron Man thing. Level him up as much as possible, Repulsor Blast is ridiculously good for the AP cost.

Also I lucked out and got Thor and he does 260+ damage for 15 yellows. :swoon: He's kicking rear end in this Avengers event. His other abilities look pretty good, haven't unlocked them yet.

Just remember, if in doubt, level up Iron Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

So the game tracks how many rewards you've got out of a chapter now. For some reason there's one missing from the first. Checked all the missions and they all have the tick, is there some super-secret bonus mission/reward?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Curse my need to get all the prizes from the missions. I spend far too long on repeating them even if the prize is something poo poo like 100 ISO. Or Juggernaut, who is effectively 100 ISO.

Still, Thor is becoming ridiculously strong now and I've maxed out the powers on Iron Man. Five blue, four red, four yellow is what I ended up with. Thor uses all the red and yellow AP anyway. Sometimes I get a lucky break and his red attack will give me yellows in the right places and charge the green attack, so he goes flying round the screen dropping lightning on people and bonking them in the head with Mjolnir.

And I picked up a Spider-Man from somewhere, he usually goes in the third spot if there's no guest, but I'll just stick whoever in there mostly, because it's rare that they'll be stronger than Thor or Iron Man so they won't be attacking much either.

Really enjoying this game now after the updates. Seemed very cash-grabby at first, and while there's still a bit of a pay-to-win feeling with the IAP, it definitely doesn't seem to need it.

Finally, this new Red ISO campaign thing seems to be the Stark Sarcasm Zone so far, and I quite like it.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh gently caress he's bullshit. Managed to just barely beat him last night with a whole bunch of boosts. Yellow/Red power up, everything power up, and anti-Dark Avengers. He still managed to down Thor (at level 50 or so) and almost Iron Man too. Cap would not have been able to finish him off but his Blue stun attack was essential. For keeping him away from reds mainly but also because Iron Man was getting a beating.

Can't imagine getting the 20 Iso off that quest. I'd be spitting feathers.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

So I almost got Devour off in a PvP match yesterday, and it got me thinking that in regular stuff Venom and Spider-Man would go really well together to build up web tiles and then chomp away. Not missing anything there am I? Could be really helpful for that BS Ragnarok mission.

I've got to admit, I really like the story. It's just so terrible that it's endearing. Like one of those ugly dogs you just want to cuddle. That bit where Osborn is introducing the Dark Avengers and he sounds so proud of himself cracks me up. That and all the stupid things the henchmen say.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Urgh, think I've had enough of this Dark Avengers tournament. Battles take loving ages. Came up against a high level Daken. Healed for 40 every turn. 40 was a good hit for my team to make. That one took a while. Also when you start having multiple Dakens and Bullseyes, the passives take ages to finish. Oh well, nothing much I want from the rewards this time, guess I'll just do missions this week.

Wish you could use Bagman with Spiderman. I think those two and Venom would be a good combination. But no. gently caress off, Bagman. You aren't worth a heroic recruit token you dick. I just want a Ragnarok. :negative: Although I don't think you can get Ragnarok through that anyway.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, I thought Model 40 would be a Darkvengers Iron Man. Everyone else gets one.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Fallorn posted:

You are but you don't remember it when it happens to you.

Yeah, once or twice the game has just let me demolish the enemy team without them even getting a turn. And then sometimes it gives me enough Reds to have Thor hit everyone in the head, charge his lightning, and charge his other lightning. Always nice when that happens.

So am I right in thinking I don't want to train Venom's Snare to level 5? Seems it'd be better to just stun one enemy for less AP. One day he'll devour somebody. Almost had a baddy with it yesterday but Venom still doesn't have enough health right now so he got whacked.

Also, managed to get Iron Man to level 50, and found another Red Thor, so he can start levelling up again.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I think I could get to like these Lightning Rounds. It's like the mad scramble at the end of a tournament but without all the preceding bullshit.

Coming top 8 may have helped endear it to me of course. Thor is just unfair with level five red. He needs 6 to activate. So it occurred to me to use the stockpile bonus thing. One match and bam, 750 damage right there. Match a few yellows, pow, another 1500. Then punch Red Hood in the face. Goodness he was just dead weight in this.

Just gotta watch out for Classic Storm and that passive.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ha ha, one of the new special recruit packs has a chance to get Spider-Man. Or Bag Man.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, was lucky enough to pull a Classic Blue Magneto. Being able to place two blue tiles anywhere is pretty great. Looks like he costs a bomb to train though. :gonk:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Added a fake account to the spreadsheet. Hope it worked properly, who can tell with Facebook these days. Will add everyone on there.

edit: or most anyway, computer is being a dick

Also Bullseye has a butt for a chin.

McDragon fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 2, 2013

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ah poo poo. I just got tricked big-time. What a loving clever move. I'm more impressed than mad. Classic Storm, Bullseye, Bag Man, Storm levelled up, the others not. Can you guess what happened next?

Spoilered if you wanna guess. Murdered by Raging Tempest. The others had such poo poo health I couldn't help but trigger it.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, looked like I was going to be in the top 25 for that Lightning Round, but I guess I got tipped out at the last few minutes. Oh well, got two Heroic tokens instead, both Marvel Now Magneto, which I guess is actually better? Although they were both red which seems to be his worst skill so maybe not. Ah well, doesn't matter anyway until I start training up a main third, and Thor still has a few levels to go first.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yesterday's Lightning Round went a bit silly at the end. I beat some guy, he retaliated, I retaliated back, and so on until I was finished for the night. From what I can tell, my team is generally really good when I can control it and drop a load of thunderbolts. When it's AI, I guess it blows all the yellows on bloody Iron Man and his rubbish one. It's only one more match.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

So how do boosts work when someone fits into more than one category? I guess Storm is a mutant and one of the X-Men? Would they stack? And for X-Men, is it just people in the series, or do they have to be part of the group? Like Magneto and Juggernaut and that. Also, the Dark Avengers should really fit into Hammer too, but I bet they don't.

Should be a thing on the stats screen I think, which categories characters fit into. Might give the devs a buzz.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, that is the worst. I think it needs a separate counter for the get certain amount prizes. Like there's one for rank that other people can gently caress up, but not the one for those because it's seriously annoying when you get enough points but lose them before you get the prize and have to get more. Guess that means all you'd need was persistence to get whatever, but that would be fine by me.

Still, managed to get 500 and Iron Man 40 from this one, got a head start while everyone else was still on the other tournament, don't think I'd have managed it otherwise. Don't care if he's bad or that I can't use my other Iron Man at the same time. Just wanted him because I like Iron Man.

Now to just hit people for Iso if I can be bothered. My bracket is mean. Fuckin' Classic Storm.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

There didn't seem to be any middle ground with Ragnarok. Either I managed to pull out a bunch of powers and took him apart, or he'd pull out a bunch of powers and take me apart. Glad I got all his presents because I don't want to fight him again. He's a dick.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Now that the Juggernaut tourney's over, spare a thought for those poor bastards with useless overlevelled Juggernauts.

I laugh at them before beating them up. Thank you, Free For All Tournament. Now we just need one that buffs Bag Man.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Buffed Thor is amazing. Just had a battle I started with the all AP Stockpile and the Red/Yellow one. One-shotted Classic Storm with Mjolnir's Might, that charged Thunder Strike, and then I one-shotted Thor with that, and the fallout from that one-shotted Iron Man. :getin:

edit: and I just realised that this is possible to have every single battle. Even with the worst prizes, three battles gives you 210 Iso. It costs 300 to buy both boosts, and you get three a pop, enough for three battles. As long as you keep a little bit of Iso in reserve, it's basically free!

McDragon fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 11, 2013

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, got the 900 Prize and I don't think I'll try for the 1000. Way too frustrating. It's a very fighty bracket and if you beat somebody, they will fight you back. Even if they are poo poo and it takes them three goes to do it. All I had in the end was retaliatory slap fights because everything else was a 1/2/low amount of points.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

You fight everyone in game, but your score is only compared against other people in your bracket.

Oh, that makes more sense then. Haven't checked how much of a beating I got since the 900 prize yet. Guessing it was quite a lot. :v:

triplexpac posted:

Since I just started this game, should I ignore the Thor PVP event and go through the story missions?

It might be worth beating at least one person if you can, so you can place in the tournament. Usually there's at least a consolation prize even if you come last. At least it seems to if it's a smaller bracket.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Isn't there some thing about having crabs in a bucket, and if any of the crabs start climbing out the other crabs drag them back in? That's what the tournaments always make me think of.

fake edit: found it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_mentality

actual edit: are there any crab superheroes in Marvel? Let's have one of those next. :v:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Guess my Loki has both powers now. To be honest, I think the 250 Iso was probably more helpful. Nearly got to the 500 point prize, think I'll just stick to going for the 250 from now on though. Nastiest shock of the torunament, leapt into a battle because the non-Lokis on the team were rubbish. The Loki was not. I thought he was the free one until I noticed his health and he started blasting mine away.

Dr. Platypus posted:

Woo, got Classic Magneto from my Lightning Round token. Now to never use him because he only has one level in one ability.

Is it the Blue one? Mine's only got level one in that and it loving rules. You can set up so many extra turn matches with that, and doing that also charges the power again.

delfin posted:

* 11 spins on the Heroic machine, a lot of which I probably will have no use for

Whatever you do, don't do this. Unless you want a fully skilled Bag Man. drat you, Bag Man.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

And the first token for Heroic mode? Hawkeye Classic. :negative:

Anyway, saw Thor 2 today. The thought crossed my mind that he needed more Red AP a couple of times. :v:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, that update is looking pretty great.

Also my Thornament bracket was nice and dozy this afternoon, managed to claw my way up to the 1200 point mark for the coins. Guessing I'm going to get punched all the way back down tonight though. Still, it's nice to be number one for a while.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Poulpe posted:

I'm doing a fight in the Thor versus arena and just had a Modern Black Widow use an ability on me that she... doesn't have.
It was a black skill, Latvian backup or something? It created four villain strike tiles on the board. Weird.

You sure that's not the Environmental skill? There's definitely one that does that.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, after managing the 1500 earlier I decided to say gently caress it and go for broke. I either came first or second. Me Thor good. :woop: Definitely wanted to "win" one of the big tournaments at least once, may as well do it with Thor, who owns.

And right at the end of the tournament some person I got pissed off by earlier popped up as a target so I gave them a smackdown with a minute to go. Got a wonderful malicious glee out of that. Can't even remember what they did now. Something like hitting me for 30 points when I'd only get five for beating them or something. Really petty basically.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I like that the comic his cover is from is called Sex and Violence. That made me laugh.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

This Widow Tournament is getting pretty great. Heroic Token, loving X Force Wolvie.

And the battles have turned into Whack-a-Widow, where you don't want to whack the Widow. Because if you do, Storm explodes your face and the faces of all your friends. The AI just can't do poo poo about it.

Purple matches have ended up the strongest pretty much. That's new. And Environmental ones too.

McDragon fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 17, 2013

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

AzraelNewtype posted:

Just be careful with this. If you're facing a strong enough Cstorm, if you let your Widow get popped early enough that your Cstorm explodes but can't kill the AI's, you eat two back and probably wipe right there. Cstorm giveth and Cstorm taketh away.

It's a hilarious way to lose at least.

Oh yes, I know this only too well. Usually a Mjolnir's Might is enough to knock her health down enough. Usually.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, Classic Storm is crazy-overpowered. Gonna keep using her until the inevitable nerf though. It's really fun as well as ridiculously strong.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Heh, Heroic Mode keeps giving me Modern Black Widows while I try to get all the prizes and I'm waiting to sell them because they're pretty useful as batteries for Storm.

Also I got sick of smashing my head against the wall that is the Widow Tournament and decided to forget going after the 500 coins. And you know what? Pissing around in Heroic Mode got me about that many anyway.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The actual mission prizes are mainly Hawkeyes and Widows though.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, I said I'd had enough of the Widow Tournament and that I was done. Turns out that was a lie. Got up to 1000 anyway just now.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

No Thors or Classic Storms? Goodness, how novel.

Luckily I've ended up with quite a few 3 Stars. None of them are levelled much though, better rectify that I guess.

IM40 definitely, dunno who else. Magneto and Grey Widow I'm leaning towards, mainly because they've got the most skills so have the most room for levels.

Rewards came through. Top 25. New Widow seems kind of mediocre, but hey, another new cover for the collection. Think I might just start keeping at least one of everything now I've got more room.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The only problem I'm having is knowing when skills are ready. Wish you could still have the gems flashing when stuff was ready as well.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I'm just going to let the Heroic Mode finish up now without stressing about placement. Got up to 3000 for the prizes, anyone who wants to get more than that can go ahead. It's nice that they can go and grind themselves silly without having to stomp on my head to do it.

3 Star I'm pretty much going to have to ignore. Can't beat anyone really. Might have to have a break from the game this week unless they spring another event on us.

Getting more used to the new UI now. It's pretty nice. Just have to remember to look at the doodads on the top of he screen every so often.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Top 30, not so bad. Couple of Widows, bit of Iso, 500 coins. Wish it would tell you where you placed more precisely though. Anyway, there's another couple of roster slots unlocked. They cost 400 now, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I don't know who on here has the Facebook account called Jugg Ernaut, but it gives me a chuckle every time I see it. So thanks for that.