Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

I've only seen Thor and Ragnarok so far, and I can't imagine they'd give out the latter.

Just battling through the oscorp chapter, and I have to say Classic Storm is definitely my most useful character, even though iron man tends to do the heavy lifting. Her blue stun once levelled up is absurdly good since the ~300 dmg hits all enemies along with the 2 turn stun, and the green lightning bolt has a nice tendency to smash enemy tiles. Any time I have to face pyros without her it gets messy...

Also for those of you who rolled 4-star wolverine early on, he's a massive help through early stages due to high green/red/yellow attacks and his hp is nice for tanking, but once iron man hits his 20s you will probably bench wolverine entirely for better utility characters like storm or black widow.

Also always sell Hawkeye.

Anyone played with any Black chars other than Venom btw? Seems to be by far the least common power colour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Emron posted:

It looks from the event rewards page like not everyone is going to get Thor at the end of the Avengers event--what you get is going to depend on your rank. I'm 2000-something, so I'll probably end up with the awesome reward of 100 Iso-8 or something.

My recollection was that the Thor reward announcement was entirely separate from the Avengers event, but that may have just been me.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Ok so gently caress Yelena. gently caress her so hard.

Going back to grind the venom chapter, because that first Yelena mission with two spies in Oscorp is a total brick wall, and that's with a 26 Iron Man and 11 Storm Classic.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

bubbapook posted:

Ok so gently caress Yelena. gently caress her so hard.

Going back to grind the venom chapter, because that first Yelena mission with two spies in Oscorp is a total brick wall, and that's with a 26 Iron Man and 11 Storm Classic.

Just further to this - if you do get stuck on Oscorp, it's worth going back to the first couple of chapters and grinding out the covers. I had a whole load of iron man covers that were still unclaimed in there (along with a bunch of handy iso) which is super useful, and the battles literally take 30 seconds to clear. Now I'm totally starved of ISO unfortunately, but at least that's grindable.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

delfin posted:

Nice. I really want a green Thor to round mine out but getting to 500 points may be daunting. I zoomed up to 275 in the new event to make my Venom semi-useful, but now it's done giving me any easy fights.

I managed to roll green by luck of the coin draw, it's just a shame that Thor doesn't quite work if you're missing the yellow skill inbetween :(

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Parkingtigers posted:

It might not be the optimal thing, but I'm currently digging Thor, Black Widow, and Storm (modern). Storm pumps out some nice damage over time with black gems, and clears tiles with green (and red if I'm stuffed with environmental tiles). Widow uses purps and blue to stun, and steal gems, and Thor uses red and yellow to murder everything. Well, he will once I get a yellow Thor cover. The freebie Thor in the tournament has that yellow power and it's my go-to "gently caress you and die" power. A thing of sublime beauty.

Grind the Venom level which gives you Classic Storm, she is absolutely beastly. Her, Thor and Black Widow are a vicious combination of AP lockdown, stuns, AOE damage and single target damage.

Grinding the 1000 PVP pts for that Thor yellow cover is going to be a motherfucker, I can tell. Up into the 500s and already getting tacked back every couple of hours.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Kharmakazy posted:

Horrible cheater chiming in. Ragnarok is absolutely bananas if you level him up. At max level, it costs 2 red, creates 5 green tiles, and damages the enemy a good chunk. If you can get 6 red points you can clear the whole map just spamming that ability on turn 3. Pair it with storm and the other guy never gets a turn after like turn 5 or so.

Spiderman's stun also goes down in cost at the end and costs only 2 blue. You can lockdown entire teams quite easily like that.

Mind you, I think that if I leveled these guys up the normal way it would have cost hundreds of dollars each. Possibly into the thousands.

How much iso did you grind to get Ragnarok to max level without spending any cash :stare:

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

The only solution to that is to make your team too scary looking to bother with.

This is an interesting point - I've noticed that whenever I come across a team with say, 4* Wolverine, I just skip it automatically. Yet I have that character myself, and never use him because he's only got one skill which is pretty poo poo compared to say Storm or Thor, even though at level 1 he's got over 1k HP and double digit dmg in three colours.

Do you guys look at the star ratings and just go "gently caress that" or do you look at the skill colours and decide whether to bother?

(obviously if there's a 4* that's actually levelled up, then gently caress that entirely)

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Anyone else actually managed to connect to the store? I've gotten to the point where I actually want to buy some ISO to finally level up my guys and the app just refuses to connect to the store, claiming I'm not connected (even though I'm online and can launch App store fine).

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Interestingly, I saw this little tidbit on the D3 forums:

quote:

There is a combined limit to how much your Powers can be raised. The levels of all your Powers cannot exceed your character's Potential Max. For example if a character's Potential Max is 50 and he has 3 Powers, he cannot have 3 level 20 powers since 3 x 20 = 60 is greater the Potential Max. He will have to settle for something like 15, 15, and 20. I found out about this the hard way and I wish there was some kind of warning or something.

I had no idea it worked like that, and thankfully haven't gotten a char to that point either, but good to be aware of. Presumably the R40 changes may affect how this works...

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Uhhhhhh....

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

epitasis posted:

I think that might be the rarest card in the game?

It's the only four star I've seen so far. But before the patch it was 250 hero points to level him up. And even then, he's still worse than Thor in pretty much every way.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

The new PVE event is pretty loving awesome. Good to see them making lots of good changes.

Btw: has anyone managed to get the red Thor cover from the last Daken mission in Chapter 2? I swear to god I have run that mission 15 times now and gotten 20 iso every time (the Thor is the only reward left.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

delfin posted:

Logged in this morning and had three tokens waiting: two Standard, one Heroic.

I don't quite get this - did you have a daily reward or something? How did 3 tokens show up?

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Added my facebook profile to the Marvel PQ list, it's nice knowing goons PvP names so I can skip people: https://www.facebook.com/ddurnin

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

So I've got Facebook linked up now, and I haven't seen any of the "claim +3" buttons on any rewards since then. Does it normally appear every single time you get a reward, or just sporadically?

Edit: and then as if on cue, I fire up the game and get a boost that immediately gets shared to three goons :)

bubbapook fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 27, 2013

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

delfin posted:

Yelena, outside of the tournament buffing, bites.

Worth noting, however, that given how insane the buff is, if you come across a Yelena over lvl20 in the tourney, avoid. I paid no attention to her because the guy's Venom and Daken were both starter level, and she absolutely whupped my team silly after I downed her teammates. Got her on the second attempt, thankfully.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

The Dark Avengers tourney has actually provided a funny quandary - since I only want the Venom black cover, (and Bag Man can go suck a dick) I actually need to ensure I stay between Rank 201-350, and not any higher. But there's also a black cover at 275 points, but within my bracket I'm already Rank 172 at 202 points.

Should I go for the 275 and then hope to god I get attacked loads? Maybe the trick is to go for 275, then start a fight with a really poo poo team and leave them there as bait :)

Emsee posted:

So, does the Facebook sharing gifts thing scale based on how many friends you have? I've added myself to the list and added a bunch of people, then I got a reward for myself +25 friends. It was only a hawkeye cover, but still I've only had it show up with +2/3 before.

That's really weird - I've got like 20 people on FB now, but when I get rewards it keeps giving the same three people over and over again. I've sent in a support ticket, but there are people I've gotten gifts from who have never, ever shown up when I claim rewards for allies.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Looks like the most recent update has fixed the facebook friend limitation - I just got rewards from like 18 people :stare:

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Eddain posted:

Are there really that many new goon players every day? I casually check my fake Facebook account once a day or something and I always see 20+ new friend requests.

Yep, I can barely keep up with friend requests, but the mountains of ISO don't hurt :)

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

How have you guys been getting Astonishing Wolvie covers? I've only got mine to like 2/1/1 :(

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

^^ you can get hero points in tons of story missions.

FYI, for those curious I only just discovered that the final Daken mission in the last chapter has 3 Wolverine covers. There I was lamenting his lack of covers and noticed I'd never completed the penultimate mission in that chapter!

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Ah man, #29 at 619 points, my rank keeps shifting as people around me go up and down without me actually getting attacked. Come on Thor cover, don't fail me now :ohdear:

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

So uh, time to start building a backup Thor :dance:

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Glad to know I'm not the only one who was a bit curious about the "do you believe in JESUS?" messages. Blocked the guy.

For those with fake facebook issues, if you do end up having to use your real facebook profile, just put all your MPQ friends in the Restricted list and then you have no issues (assuming they're actual goons and not lunatic jehova's)

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

triplexpac posted:

Thanks! I actually did get to 50 and got that token, maybe I'll attempt the 150 one as well and call it a day.

If there are any other general newbie tips, I'd appreciate them. I read the OP, but it seemed to be more "this is what the game is" and less "this is what you should do when starting out".

Besides level Iron Man, of course. I've been doing that.

Get as many Classic Storm/Thor covers as you can from this tourney, and then grab the rest of her covers from the PvE chapters. Don't spend hero points on anything other than collection slots (spending it on covers is pretty much a complete waste) and for now don't sell any covers unless you absolutely have to because it seems like nearly every dog gets its day with a boost tourney at some point. If you absolutely have to sell covers for ISO, Hawkeye Classic and Juggernaut are pretty surefire sell-bait.

Also get friended up with the goon list in the OP so that you can pick up sweet, sweet ISO rewards from the rest of us playing.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

sheeeeeeit, just managed to sneak into #83 with 1 minute left to go in that LR. Come to mama, black Daken. Getting 300+ gets pretty hairy when attacks are flyng in.

triplexpac posted:

Are health packs common? I find that I do one battle and my key guys are all injured, it's kind of a pain.

Obviously it's a free to play game and timers are going to be all over it, but I'm not sure how to do multiple Lightning Round matches without burning through health packs.

Have you farmed the pve chapters? There are health pack rewards in quite a few missions.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

what in the......dude's gotta be cheating, surely???

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

man this new tournament is a real motherfucker when all you've got is single cover Hood, Doom and Loki :suicide:

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

I just loaded up the app and there was a message about "Power Packs" but I just clicked through it as part of my standard rewards gathering click-frenzy. Anyone know what it was about?

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

What's really, more than anything else, really depressing about the 3-star tourney is that the reward for 90% of the participants is loving Juggie. So basically, the guys with either no 3-stars or total scrubs get the 1-star sellbait.

edit: I take it back. Clawed to 275 for the heroic with scrub single covers, and got Bag Man. Shook it off to climb up to 500 for the second heroic cover. Bag Man again.

bubbapook fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 20, 2013

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

BGrifter posted:

I need to figure out what to sink ISOs into now that I have Classic Storm and Thor maxed. I've got a 5/5 Daken so that's a possibility. All my 3*s are many covers away from the cap, so throwing ISOs at a 3/1/3 Iron Man 40 or 2/2/3 Black Widow Grey seems ill advised till I get more covers. (cap on my current Widow is only 64) Currently up to 18385 ISOs and itching to burn some.

5/5 Daken is a very handy utility option for a third slot behind Thor/CStorm, another good alternative is a 5/4 Venom (5 in Snare isn't the end of the world, but arguably the cheaper single stun is more useful, particularly if you're ever aiming for a team devour)

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

is anyone else noticing the AI getting some absolutely insane cascades/crit usage since the last update? It's not a case of selective memory, because I get occasional ones as well, but in the last couple of rounds I've had multiple occurrences of the AI literally whipping me stupid with enviro crits cascading into more enviro crits into board collapses and then an endless shitstorm of skills. I had one fight where I watched the AI perform aggressive recon three times in one batch of attacks.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Vord25 posted:

I started noticing this more often now especially with the enviro crits as you said. They would get a cascade then they would match 5 for extra turns during the cascade. Usually leads to their Thor hammering me with both yellow and red skills back to back.They would match more tiles leading to another cascade. This happens to me during the lightning rounds when they get buffed up and always seems to be the Hood for me..

See now, the example I cited was with the Hood as well, in the lab. I have a feeling it was triggered by the enviro crits, because the AI started off an assault with the 'narrow hallway' enviro blast, which then basically turned into a complete landslide that killed all three characters in succession before I could respond.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

I swear to god, the number of loving bullshit cascades in these lightning rounds is definitely pushing me to just throw this game away. Just no point trying to improve your roster when the last six covers I've gotten from LRs were motherfucking hawkeyes.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Question regarding Wolverine: am I right in assuming that 5/3/5 is the optimal setup for him? I ask because I'm currently at 4/3/3, and I just got the red cover from the Venom Heroic. As lovely as his red attack is in the boosted heroic levels, I'm guessing that overall yellow is a better skill to max out? Or is 5/4/4 better so that he's got a decent damage attack?

McDragon posted:

So is everyone else's Back to Basics bracket really not bothered? I can hardly talk because I just finished the first fight now, but the top ranked person has a grand total of 194 points. Second is about 50 points below. My ten points are enough for around rank 115. I don't think anyone is even going to think about getting near those Classic Storms.

I'm seeing the same thing in my bracket but I'm pretty sure it's down to the fact that the rewards are poo poo and the fights are a total loving slog.

bubbapook fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 24, 2013

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Man, the gift changes have pretty much obliterated my daily ISO intake :(

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Deep Winter posted:

Anyone still have getting that bug where facebook friend reward drops only let you do it to three people? Only happens with the 70 iso-reward.

That's not a bug is it? There's a +3 Allies reward and a +10 Allies reward (used to be 25)

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

I'm awaiting the day where they turn Bag Man and Yelena into the two most powerful chars in the game, and the world burns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

vibratingsheep posted:

Most people figure that 5 blue is the best not because it's good, but because they don't need Recharge to get more expensive and you gotta level him to max somehow.

I think you're referring to IM40 and he was asking about IM35?