Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Man, the slacker bracket trick worked absolute wonders with the reinforcements tourney, hit #49 in 20 minutes.

Anyone else find it slightly frustrating that the "2nd tier" tournament rewards are typically kind of pants? Take the red iso, for example - ok, Invisible Woman's skills don't look all that interesting, but hey its only the 2nd 4-star in the entire game so people will go for it. But then for the other 900 odd people, it's.....Hawkeye???

I'm sure it's just symptomatic of the likely reality that the top tier players are primarily whales / dolphins, and then basically the next 800 or so people probably either spend once or nothing at all, but man, some decent covers would be nice for those that can't play down to the wire (tourney's finish at 4am my time).

Then again, I'm pretty sure their DAU is on the up, so perhaps they give no fucks about giving out good covers. Standard covers are a pretty good reflection of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Yeah, their pricing scheme in the store is completely out of sync with the current economy, particularly for anyone that's been playing for more than a week or so. Even when they have occasional deals on, it still seems to represent awful value. The crazy thing is that this is actually one of the few F2P ios games I would actually like to spend cash on, because I've gotten a shitload of fun out of it.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Can anyone remember the timing on the resets for the Red ISO event? Was it new missions every day or couple of days?

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

SchwarzKreuz posted:

What types of team comps are people using for the reinforcement tournament? I'm thinking of trying IM40, Widow (Classic) and Storm Classic when I start it tomorrow.

First choice is Wolverine 65, IM40 62 and Cap 50. Switch in Thor 85 and Cstorm 85 for the last two when they need to heal up.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Since the end time is EU friendly, going to experiment with leaving it till the last minute to join the Two Shot event, see what sort of slacker bracket I can find with 1-2hrs left.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Hahaha that spider man buff is hilarious.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Man, talk about two dramatically opposite experiences. Got top 2 in Double Shot thanks to a decent slacker bracket and presumably a Euro-favoured finishing time.

Then in the Hood lightning round managed to scramble up to #41 for my very first diabolical and within 10 seconds dropped 96 points down to #182.

I think I'm pretty much done with LR's after getting the standard token (and screw all of you who get anything that's not storm, widow or bullseye from standards), because the insane crabbing shitpile in the top 50 is totally defeating unless you're rocking some demonic pairing with your villain.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

intangible posted:

How long do you guys wait to join the tournaments to get into a slacker bracket? There is currently about 9 hours left on Double Shot part deux. Should I give it a little bit more time, or do you think joining now will get me into a one?

Basically, wait as long as you can but give yourself enough time to actually put in a good innings, otherwise you won't have enough time to get enough points and defend against inevitable scrambling near the end. Even then though, you can sometimes end up landing as the 995th person in a bracket, which can suck but it's still generally always better than joining a tournament at the start and landing with all the whales.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Eddain posted:

I've been joining tournaments during the last 2-3 hours. I've placed in the top 3 for the past few. Staying at #1 isn't hard, but aiming for the #2/#3 prize is kinda tricky.

Eddain - I was hiding right behind you in that Thornament slacker bracket, went to bed at #3 and came back to a stack of Moonstone covers :suicide:

(although bizarrely, those covers might actually be handy in the DA tourney)

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

retro sexual posted:

2* Wolverine. I'm at 5 green covers and 3 each of green/red and just got a red.

Obviously 5x green is a given to get it to just 3x green per use, but what about the other two? I can max out yellow for healing no matter what, or max out red for -2 red ap to trigger. I'm thinking of going for 5 yellow. Anyone disagree?

Yellow all the way. Red can be nice in a pinch, but you'll almost always have a better Red option on your team anyway via Thor or Hawkeye. Can't go wrong with healing.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Scrap hawkeye classic, always.

Focus on grinding all the PvE chapters with Iron Man, Black Widow and Classic/Modern Storm and search for any quests that give you Thor/Storm covers and go after those. Get Thor as soon as you can, he will make life a *lot* easier. Whenever lightning rounds pop up, make sure to always enter them at the very least to get 50 points and a standard cover since they have a chance (albeit very slim) of giving you 2-stars and above.

Spend all your hero points on cover slots, you want at 20 or more to be comfortable, especially with how many new heroes they're adding.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Fritzler posted:

I kept getting upset because I was only getting Thors or Hawkeyes from my Hunt Heroic tokens, both of whom I maxed out a long time ago. Got 8000 overall points, and I got a blue Spidey, putting me at 4 blue. Now I only have to win one blue spidey from these two upcoming tournaments. gently caress yeah.

This, but without the Spidey cover. gently caress Thor covers, seriously.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

The funny thing is, every time I reach the point of unequivocally believing that my standard cover pulls are broken and will never get anything over a 1-star, I come here and read about some fucker getting multiple Rag covers.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Welp, time to dangle a Moonstone/Black Widow combo with Magneto for the night and see if my LR matchmaking eases up a bit tomorrow.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

I wouldn't hold your breath. I ended up with 18 standard covers from the last couple hunts and every single one of them was a 1-star.

On the flipside, in the latest hunt every one-time mission I've done has given me 500 iso. So it's swings and roundabouts.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Eurgh, if this Doom tourney teaches you anything it's that no matter what your team looks like now, if you've got a 1-cover villain, you are getting attacked a lot

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

I dont get their daily deal pricing.

1 Heroic for 100
or
10 Heroic for 2700, or 270 a card.

I mean sure if you're impatient lets have all those Bag-Men or you could have 1 Bag-Man a day for the whole week and a bit for nearly a third of the price.

Isn't that 100 Heroic just the daily deal? After the first one the price jumps up to 300.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Wow.....my last fight in that Magneto LR turned into the longest fight I've ever played, sorry goons.

All was going well until my Thor suddenly got splattered when I ran out of stuns from Spidey and their Thor landed all three powers at the same time on him. Fine, so I have Magneto and Spidey left, I can take out his Thor and Magneto. Until Thor manages to again splatter Magneto when I literally am one turn away from stunlocking him again.

So now it's Spidey alone vs Thor and Magneto. I swear to god, it took loving days but I killed them both. Long Live Spidey.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

I really cant be bothered with LRs anymore. Too much effort and scuffling.

I feel the same way, and it's a shame that they serve pretty much exclusively to strengthen the players who already have powerful villains by rewarding them with more powerful villains. Obviously that's a smart approach from a business standpoint, since it's content that focuses on your whales and hardcore players.

But it really wouldn't be all that difficult to establish at the very least a desirable "2nd tier" where you don't need to have a Rag / Doom / Mag levelled up to make even a little bit of progress. Frankly, if they loosened the Heroic Token bracket even slightly, that would probably improve things given the sheer volume of players in competition.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Gallow posted:

It's probably because I'm going with the Spidey/Wolverine/Doom team. I usually come out of each match all healed up, but that takes extra time.

Interestingly, do you find Spidey/Wolverine a better pairing with a villain than Spidey/Thor? I've been flip flopping and kind of ended up on Thor for the quick smashes, but I find I do miss those sweet, sweet strike tiles.

edit: seriously, screw D3 for leaving Bag Man as a 2-star, and not changing him at all after changing so many other characters. It's like he's in the Heroic deck as a nice little gently caress you to every player, every single time.

bubbapook fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 19, 2013

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

New Leaf posted:

So help me out here.. Let's say I play a Lightning Round for a bit before bed, then put the game down. When I come back, I'm down 35 points on the No Holds Barred tournament overnight because I still have my level 15 Doom leading my group! What do I need to do at the end of the night to ensure I don't have a poo poo party protecting my precious points?

Are you sure that's the case? I'm pretty sure your last played team in that tournament defends you, otherwise you could be defending in a LR without a villain?

Sometimes even with your A-team defending you'll get whomped all the same. Way it goes.

Murgos posted:

Does anyone know how the bracket generation works?

I did my first NHB fight this morning with 1 d 13 hours left in the event. I killed one team got 30 points and ended up in 1st place. The event had been going on for 11 hours at this point...

Did I just randomly end up in a brand new bracket?

Yup. Each tourney (except for LR's) has brackets between 200-1000 players, and you just land in whichever one has space when you complete your first fight. The slacker bracket approach is waiting right until the last second to try and land in a bracket with people who aren't really playing, but as that becomes more prevalent actually you end up with a bracket full of people sprinting for the finish. Seems like generally now it's just down to luck whether you get a slacker bracket or not.

bubbapook fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 19, 2013

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Oh my god....I just realised how much of a boost Spidey's pink gets when there's webs in play. Having three protect tiles at 129 apiece makes battles kind of hilarious (and that's just at level 3!)

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Wolverine is indeed amazing. At least until you have him maxed and then both HC's you get are Wolverine's :negative:

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Lightning Rounds finally, finally have a purpose

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

So how did people find the three star tournament? It just made me realise how much I depend on Thor and Wolverine to quickly smash down opponents before they can do any damage. Thankfully with Spidey levelled up a fair bit now, I can afford slightly slower matches while healing up damage. Grey Widow and Dr Doom turned out to be my most reliable hitters, though it does leave the team a bit on the fragile side.

Pretty similar experience to yours - I was running 81 IM40, 81 Spidey and 56 Grey Widow and while I never really had any problems with any of the fights, they just took forever. With boosts though you basically get Iron Man's recharge going early, at which point you can then pretty much stunlock the other team into oblivion, and any shots they do get off get soaked up by three protect tiles at 180 apiece. In one game it got so silly I even used missile barrage while watching stun timers.

That said, as delfin mentioned, literally every second I went over 400, I got plinked for 35 points almost immediately. My slacker matchmaking held up in the NHB tourney, but it was definitely apparent in the 3-Star that I was back in the "everyone gets murdered" bracket.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

WetSpink posted:

Holiday sale on ISO is better than it has been, almost tempted to do the $65 (NZD, probably $50 US) for 50,111 ISO but I kinda wish it was hero coins.

This. Buying ISO is frankly, absurd. And until they make it actually remotely good value for money, hero coins are a no-go for me.

Then again, perhaps they're keeping those crazy prices because people pay 'em.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Oh boy. A 2000 point mission popped up in greenland for me but its a fixed team of Spidey, Hulk and Punisher.

Spidey's not fixed, but he was my pick and thank gently caress for that because that mission takes forever. If I hadn't had total stunlock thanks to a couple of snow drifts, it would have been utterly impossible with two lvl 15's.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Karnegal posted:

I cannot make that one happen with 4 cost blue spidey. I put in wolverine so I could amp the damage, but rags is such utter bullshit that it will not happen. Seriously, 2 AP attack is retarded.

I was able to reliably get it done with +All / +BP and a 3-stun Spidey, but it took forever. As recommended, switching to a maxed Wolverine turned it into a cakewalk, and even with Rag's bullshit non-stop attacks after a couple of feral claws he shuts up.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Ugh, looks like I'm in a tryhard bracket. I'm at 49000 pts and #1861. Top player is at 50,462 and Search and Destroy III is only worth 100 pts right now. Bleh.

Oh....tried Search and Destroy once, and now it doesn't give me any points. Fantastic.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

49629, and I'm all out of points missions :negative:

Thinking on it more, I kind of like the way this event is handled, if my assumptions about how they changed things are correct. Given the shitstorm after the previous big event shifting leaderboards in the final hour's sprint, this one is clearly a case of having a fixed amount of points available in the last phase so that basically the people who were leading going into that final stretch can feel a bit more confident. Not completely, but a bit.

Now obviously that would have been dramatically better received if they had loving communicated even slightly with their community, or said you know, get to 49500 by the end of the last two Hunt missions if you want that 50K Punisher cover. But even then, when you consider the volume of ISO and covers that has come out of the event, it's hardly like people have been stiffed. Even with virtually every heroic/powered up cover being sell-bait, I still can't say I did badly out of this event.

bubbapook fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 28, 2013

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

The funny thing is, I'm not that bothered about falling a couple hundred points short on the Hulk event, but then I'm crushed by having to sell a Spidey yellow from a standard cover because I'm already at 3 yellows. At least it's 25 more HC towards finally maxing Blue :(

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Thanks to that last drop of HC from the tourney, managed to finally max out Spideys blue. Taking bets on how soon I pull a blue cover now.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

So has anyone figured this particular aspect of the Hulk event out?

In my total Hulk bracket, the leader is at 498pts, 215 points ahead of me. In the two Sighting missions, the top leaders are 19 and 44 points ahead of me, for a total of 63 points. Now I get that the Sighting brackets are separate from the main bracket, but they can't be that off the pace, surely.

How in the hell am I supposed to make up the remaining 152 points? Am I missing something entirely?

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Seems so far like there's no rubberbanding, but I'll have a look tomorow and see whether the points have changed.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Alcohol and IAP should not mix.

On the other hand, All Tied Up is pretty nice now. Shameful!

Awh god, did you pick up the 600 or the 2900?? :stare:

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Retromancer posted:

So is ISO used for anything other than stat leveling now? You used to be able to pump powers with it, but they changed that to HP. You can't even buy cover slots with ISO anymore. It seems kinda useless for the most part.

IIRC, you could also only use ISO to power up levels on the early lower chars. I think from 2 or 3* onwards you could only do it with HC anyway.

Plus making boosts purchasable with ISO is awesome.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Phenotype posted:

I am absolutely loving my 4 blue Spiderman, and I can't imagine how bananas he'll get with yet another AP decrease. Who are some other 3-star characters that complement him?

I was originally running IM40 alongside Spidey and Wolverine, to tank blue/yellow, but ever since I got Spidey up into the 100's that's no longer an option as he's way stronger.

Now I've got Grey Widow instead and it's a pretty brutal trio. Spidey stuns every two blues, which strengthens his pink protect tiles, creating those feeds Widow who then pumps greens everywhere for Wolverine. She also has the strongest black, which helps fill out the attack.

e: Best Spidey is 3/5/5, no doubt.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Shadowstar posted:

One of my housemates is the lead designer on this game. We were just chatting about it for a bit after dinner. If anybody has any big questions or good feedback I'd be willing to pass it along to him.

What the gently caress is up with the points in the Hulk event. Seriously, what the gently caress.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

I do kind of agree with Eddain on this one though - the daily deal is indeed enticing, but I keep getting loving Bag Man covers (why in gods name is he still in the game!?) and poo poo I already have, whereas paying HC to specifically level up a skill of your choice would absolutely get me to spend cash on HC if it was half the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Tibeerius posted:

Well, that strikes me as pretty stupid, but that is definitely the problem I am having. I haven't burned any of my boosts down to zero yet; I've been hanging on to them like Elixirs in a JRPG. Old habits die hard, I guess.

Since you always get 3 of any boost you earn as a reward and they max out at 10, you should always be using any boosts over 7. There's no point letting them go to waste.