Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I'm still showing Pyro/Spy/Pyro.

This means that I will (a) not leave this screen for a while longer and (b) pretend I didn't read that.

EDIT: I went back to the title screen, came back to the Unstable ISO-8 screen and it's still showing Pyro/Spy/Pyro. Could be I'd need to quit the app and restart it and, frankly, if they want me to fight Ms. Marvel that badly they can push an update or something. I'm at 600 points and that's enough for now.

delfin fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I WARNED YOU BRO. I WARNED YOU ABOUT SNARES about fifteen posts up.

I'm in an odd spot now in that I have a Captain America Blue that I may as well sell because I have mine maxed.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Felt a little bad about hitting the top 10 in Unstable ISO at 720-ish points thanks to today's mission. Then I saw the leader had 2400.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Well, look at it this way: Outside of this tournament, which of the Dark Avengers are worth leveling?

Venom, yes. Ragnarok, if you're lucky enough to get one, yes. Daken and Bullseye aren't terrible but require some luck with Recruit tokens to level up at all. Base level Moonstone (which is what anyone who didn't finish Top 10 in the Arena has) is pretty bad. Yelena, outside of the tournament buffing, bites.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Hawkeye Classic and Juggernaut are almost always dumpworthy. Outside of the current event and whatever other Dark Avengers events come down the road, Yelena Belova is also dumpworthy.

Bag-Man is intended as a joke, and plays like one for the most part. About his only niche use is as a role player against minions -- level 4 Switcheroo can defuse Countdown tiles and other special tiles, Web-Slinger can freeze them and Snarky Remark can delay them. Switcheroo also generates Web tiles for Venom to use for Devour, but if you have Venom you have a cheaper source of Web tiles already in Symbiote Snare. (The one advantage of Switcheroo is that it lets you put Web tiles in out-of-the-way places so you won't match them accidentally.)

Other characters that aren't very good:

* The Hood is pretty meh. His Twin Pistols skill ends your turn unless you've leveled it up to 5 (good luck with that), his passive rocks if you've leveled it up (again, good luck with that), and it's rare that you'd have multiple Countdown tiles for Intimidation to use.

* Moonstone is questionable. Gravity Warp is very random and may not help you at all, Photon Blast has possibilities but needs leveling up, and Control Shift is a nifty idea but 17 Black is a hefty cost.

* Many of the other rarities are in a similar boat -- some useful powers, but when are you going to get a handful of Magnetos or Wolverine X-Forces or Lokis or such unless you're a Saudi prince?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Plinked my way up to 425 for Moonstone Red and now I don't give a poo poo. It may be a weak zap but at least it's a zap on my Dark Avengers team that isn't purple or black.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I am done with the Prologue: got all four rewards from Ragnarok. Cap, Thor, Storm Classic, even beat him without dying or boosts a couple of times.

This frees me up to be a complete and utter douche in the Dark Avengers event. Got a Level 1 Venom and Level 1 Yelena and 5 points? ATTTTTTAAAAAAAACK FOR THE PRECIOUS ISO-8

(I look at it this way, I am doing nothing now but making myself a juicy target for retaliation.)

A couple of new missions popped up in Unstable ISO today. I hope that keeps going, I need about 30 more points for Cap Red (my next to last before maxing him out) and while I know that that sweet Spider-Man Blue is out of reach, the Hero Points reward should be reasonably easy.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
It won't end up going there, but I would like the mission text to explore something like:

<Iron Man> Wow, that Ragnarok was a tough fight.
<Thor> Tony Stark... exactly _why_ did you build a replica of my mighty Mjolnir?
<Iron Man> Um...

Because THAT leads to Ragnarok having been created not by Osborn, but by Stark, Reed Richards and Hank Pym. And THAT leads to a magnificent loving beatdown.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Deep Winter posted:

How often should I be spending 500 iso8 on the lottery cover?

Less often once you have some decent guys on your team. A good rule of thumb is that you'll be getting Standard Tokens from quest rewards and from Facebook buddies; those are effectively the same as the 500 ISO draws. I'd say about 75% 1* guys from that.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
If you beat the living hell out of the pre-patch game, there was a loophole where you could level all three powers to L16+, which post-patch rounded up to 5/5/5. Honestly, that doesn't make a stunning difference for any chars you would've had at that point -- Iron Man 35, perhaps, not having to decide between lesser stun on Freon or fewer Protect tiles.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

MeramJert posted:

What's up with these guys in the unstable iso-8 event with 2500 points? Even if you're cheating so each battle only takes 10 seconds, you'd still have to sit there pressing buttons for hours.

Sitting there pressing buttons for hours? That's what they do. That's ALL they do.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

New Leaf posted:

Unless there's some way to rotate the map that I haven't discovered, none of mine are repeatable. I have 2 "impossible" ones with level 70 Maggia dudes but nothing like what you're describing.

The repeatable ones are the "impossible" ones. Right now, though this may change at noon EST if they're feeling frisky, there are:

* Stolen Goods (blue ring): L40 Yelena, two L85 Muscle, 2 ISO points
* Battle in Brazil (green ring): L73 Moonstone, L90 Soldier, L90 Pyro, 6 ISO points

My team for both is Captain America w/L5 Peacemaker, Thor, Storm Modern. If you beat the supervillain down quickly, you can go the rest of the way with no damage if you manage Countdown tiles well. Cap kills Countdowns dead with a maxed Peacemaker, Storm can shuffle the board and generate APs with Mistress of the Elements/Lightning Strike, and Thor just smashes. (Though Thunder Strike generating green tiles does help both clear green Countdowns and feed Lightning Strike.)

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Well, I look at it this way -- grinding tough guys is about to get me a Spider-Man Classic Blue in the next couple of days. (1229/1500 with 4d 12h to go.)

Today's repeatable is a bit more daunting, however: Daken 69, Bullseye 69, Muscle 150 for 7 Red. (With Spider-Man Classic FORCED. That's a new wrinkle.)

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
The only team I'm clearing today's repeatable with (no boosts) is Captain America w/L5 Peacemaker and Storm Classic with Spidey, cherry-picking levels carefully to make sure that I can use Spidey like a hat on a stick. Poke him out there by matching purple first, he gets blasted, Storm responds with Raging Tempest, repeat. If you run out of purples early, retreat. If he dies too soon, retreat. If the Muscle's first Tommy Gun pops up somewhere you can't get at, retreat. The idea is to avoid any damage to Storm or your heavy hitter (I prefer Cap for his Countdown tile neutralization but a Thor is fun too) until you're sure you can get it down to just the Muscle. Once it's one-on-one he's just a big hunka hit points.

This works, maybe, one out of 15 times with my guys but that's still 7 points at a time. I want my goddamn Spider-Man Blue cover. :colbert:

Also, the repeatable has gotten harder but today was very generous with red points in the normal missions -- 30 apiece, wasn't it?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
If it'll make you feel any better, I'm not in this for the placement rewards (the Iron Man 40 is, well, puzzling in its design). The progression rewards for this one, on the other hand, are pretty good.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Here's what all the fuss is about:

Iron Man (Model 40)
3 Star Rarity (Rare)

Unibeam - Red 13 AP
Tony Stark diverts all power to a focused energy beam fired from Model 40's chest. Deals 473 damage and costs 4 of the team's AP in every other color.
Level Upgrades
* Level 2: 10% damage
* Level 3: Drains 3 AP from other colors.
* Level 4: 10% damage
* Level 5: Drains 2 AP from other colors.

Ballistic Salvo - Blue 20 AP
Fires charged homing missiles. They do 355 damage to each enemy and crater the battlefield, destroying 3 basic tiles. Uses reserve power, sapping 3 AP from other AP colors.
Level Upgrades
* Level 2: 10% damage
* Level 3: Reduces non-Blue AP drain to 2.
* Level 4: 10% damage
* Level 5: Stuns current target for 2 turns.

Recharge - Yellow 6 AP
Recharges weapon systems. Creates 3 Countdown tiles that activate after 2 turns, restoring 3 Red AP each. Iron Man is then stunned for 2 turns as systems reinitialize.
Level Upgrades
* Level 2: Each Countdown tile also restores 3 Blue AP. Costs 8 AP.
* Level 3: Each Countdown tile also restores 2 Green AP. Costs 10 AP.
* Level 4: Each Countdown tile also restores 2 Purple AP. Costs 12 AP.
* Level 5: Each Countdown tile also restores 2 Black AP. Costs 14 AP.

So... two attacks with fuckoff base damage but huge costs and multi-color drains, and Countdown tiles that you'd better hope don't get matched.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
You will win two Venoms, one black and one purple, not one with both equipped.

To train a cover with a mixed-power cover, you'll have to build the latter yourself. Doing so is left as an exercise for the reader with too many Hawkeye Classics in the cache.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Just had another realization as to how Captain America is sneaky-powerful. His damage numbers aren't spectacular when not event-buffed, but his utility...

Red and Blue are both directly placeable, cancel out any other tile at Level 5, and return most of their AP three turns later, making them ideal tools for lockdown + damage/stun. Or you can drop them in a gap in a line / L / T, get the damage/stun and an instant critical.

Yellow? Three protect tiles for 19 AP doesn't seem that great. Until the little light goes on -- three _directly placeable_ yellow protect tiles. Which means just about anywhere that there are two yellows close to each other, wham! instant Critical and board churn.

:patriot:

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Oh hey! New feature, Lightning Rounds.

These are 90 - 120 minute PvP tournaments where players have a specific villain shoved onto their teams (first time around, The Hood) and that villain gets pushed hard in the Recruit bin for the duration.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Whalley posted:

Grey Magneto, at level 3 in his purple skill, only takes ten purple to be able to directly place four blue squares. Which is enough to set up any move you want, really, and when I get him to level 5, it'll only take 9 purple to place 5 tiles. He also has a blue ability that, at level 1, costs 6 and makes a one turn countdown on a random blue that destroys the surrounding nine squares, and his red currently for me at level 2, costs 9 to create a 2 turn countdown timer that deals 495 to a target. He fucks with boards like nobody's business.

True enough. I'd dearly love a Grey Magneto but have but one blue cover and no ready way of getting any more. Cap I got and leveled pretty much for free.

EDIT: Aw YES. Speaking of "pretty much for free":

delfin fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 31, 2013

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
That's pretty much all I want from lightning. Despite Unstable ISO grind heroics I'm not a big player, so I want ISO, Token, ISO, Token, lots of ISO from fighting small fries, ISO at the end and I'm a happy guy.

Though if they do a Magneto lightning round it WILL be tempting to take a crack at the machine to try to skill mine up.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
The trick is to massage it just right so that I land where I want to -- in the 26 - 50 range for the two Heroic tokens.

Those got me a Bag-Man Switcheroo (whoopee) and a Magneto Now! Purple, so yay!

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
My Wolverine Astonishing is currently 5 Feral/3 Slash/2 Healing. Should he end up 5/5/3 or 5/3/5? Leaning towards the latter.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Hawkeye Classic and Juggernaut are always safe sells. Most of the others are worth at least exploring. You'll get tons of covers for the 1* chars (Storm Modern, Widow Modern, Iron Man) and they'll be good role players for you over time; hope for Storm Classic and Thor covers to round them out and level them.

SynthOrange posted:

Eat it Maggia. :getin: Their yellow countdowns arent a worry at all. All they do is spawn strike tiles. You dont want them getting a blue countdown off though. That's where Storm can blast at random with green, or Magneto can try wreck it with blue or match up with purple power, or Black Widow can directly shoot it out.

They never had a chance.

Hah, I was staring at that wondering "How'd he not have to use Spider-Man?" and then realized that's not the LVL 150 Maggia level.

About an hour left on that particular spiked treadmill and then new Unstable missions should be up.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
And they're up. Again, very generous with the points; it should let many of us reach progression rewards we didn't think we'd get. (Just got the 2K Spidey Yellow).

The repeatable? Ragnarok 97, Moonstone 85, Commander 120 for 8 Red ISOs.

:stare:

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Just got top 50 in another lightning round and collected two Heroic tokens.

Bag-Man Purple and Bag-Man Yellow.

My purple is already maxed. :allears:

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Mostly Thor and Storm Classic. It's not so much about having the perfect team as it is going hard, fast and for the right targets (picking out patsies at first and then mid-range guys near the end who are worth more points). Though having Doom get hit and Storm blast the other team doesn't hurt...

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
That's almost precisely the team I'm using (my Storm is mid 40s and Thor around 55 or so). Skipping and picking your battles is, of course, completely necessary early and often.

Remember, you don't have to BEAT the L90 guys to move ahead of them on the scoreboard. You just have to beat more of the ones you can handle.

Also, hey! New weekend tournament, this one with Venom required.

EDIT: Cap and Black Widow are buffed, so be ready for Alice in Bullshitland where Widow's criticals are concerned.

delfin fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 1, 2013

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
The other wrinkle with attack order is that if you match environment tiles first, whoever was in front stays in front.

I used this heavily in the Bullseye/Daken/L150 Maggia Muscle mission yesterday. Spider-Man's only attack color was purple, so I spent the first few turns matching nothing but purple or environment so that Spider-Man would get shoved out in the open like a hat-on-a-stick. "Nice to have you in town, Spidey" *THWAM* followed by a Storm Tempest.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

SynthOrange posted:

Huh, I thought environment tiles shove the team leader out in front. I should check that out.

Tested it on an early level. Sent out Magneto Now (front man), Bullseye, Moonstone, matched purple to move Bullseye in front, then matched environment and Bullseye stayed in front.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

EDIT: Okay, now I'm confused. Put Moonstone in front, matched environment and Bullseye went to the front -- but he's not the leader! It's not level, because Spider-Man was L20 against L45 - L55 and remained in front.

delfin fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 2, 2013

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I, on the other hand, got what I wanted (Moonstone at 425 and Hero Points at 600) and am pecking away at remaining in the 51-100 bracket, since that's 50 more Hero Points. One two-point plink and 140/70 ISO at a time.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
My Bag-Man is currently 5/2/3. I'm thinking 5/3/5 is his endgame build.

I have gotten far, far too many Bag-Men.

Other builds in progress are my 4/4/3 Thor, going to 5/5/3 (so that with two AP boosts, I can OPEN with Mjolnir's Might), Wolverine 5/3/2 that I want as 5/3/5 (leveling Adamantium Slash just lowers its cost), Storm Classic 3/3/4 (really not sure what I want to do there) and Cap 3/4/5 (one more Red level for double gently caress yous to Countdown tiles). Also slowly rebuilding a 5/4 Venom to go next to my 5/5 one.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=129

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Helical Nightmares posted:

Character Chat:

My Hawkeye modern is now 4/2/3 and that Avoid ability gives him a great deal more longevity than I had expected. I'm wondering now if I should bump Avoid up to lv 5 (Avoid requires less purple tiles to proc) at the expense of his hit-the-entire-enemy-team Red ability. His blue stun ability is a must for me.

Thoughts?

That's a tough call. Pumping Avoid to L5 will reduce it from six to four purples required, which isn't a huge difference. On the other hand, pumping up Blast Arrow will increase damage by 25% and drop its countdown to 2 turns.

I'm coming around on Wolverine Astonishing, who I disdained for a while but is chewing up the Venom tournament for me. Feral Claws at L5 means every green 3-match is damage plus strike tiles, which can add up quickly and make a cascade of normal matches do nasty damage, plus he's a great partner for healing runs because he can suck up damage while you set up Spider-Man. My main issue now is leveling him enough so that he'll take green over Storm Classic and finding some more Healing Factor covers.

Just fought a nasty combination of a leveled Wolverine and leveled Daken. Green feeds onto itself in nasty ways and it nearly overran me.

Right now I'm sitting _right_ on the edge of the Iron Man 40 Blue block -- been bouncing between 14th and 16th for the last couple of days. I may yet have to try to tackle that ungodly repeatable before things update tomorrow. With the way the repeatables have been going I'm expecting L180 Ragnarok, Green Goblin and Thanos.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Just noticed that I now have a +20% Damage to the Brotherhood powerup. Perhaps that's the new group Osborn spoke of in today's mission, though there really haven't been many classic Brotherhood members introduced so far -- Magneto Classic, very briefly Juggernaut (who was a double agent) and very briefly Daken.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I would like to think that they're not feeling bound by either the movie versions (Last Stand was seven years ago and, well, not very good) or the most recent comic version (the X-Force Brotherhood was a continuity clusterfuck). The smart thing would be to introduce members who've had some kind of movie presence and are notable in the comics (Sabertooth, Mystique, Pyro, Blob, Toad), perhaps Avalanche.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Today's last batch of Unstable ISO missions should be interesting. Someone already got the X-Force Wolverine at 5000 ( :stare: ), and 15th through 17th are within four points of each other for that blue Iron Man 40 cover.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Hmmph. Guess there won't be one last batch of Unstable missions after all.

I can get to the 2500 point reward, I just have to beat the Ragnarok repeatable... um... forty-four more times in eleven hours. Probably better spending my time and effort staying in that 100-500 bracket in Venom.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

New Leaf posted:

I can literally go no further in the red Iso8 event. I'm at 1005 points, #220 in my bracket, and there is a single open mission involving Venom and 2 level 70 Spies that I can't even begin to touch. I have still never seen a repeatable mission in this event unless it just happens to be this one today. All the others are locked with a "Mission completed" thing over them.

The repeatable mission(s) were always the hardest ones in each set, so yes, it's the Venom one. If you beat that, it turns into the repeatable mission, which for the last two days has been HAMMER Commander L120, Ragnarok L97 and Moonstone L85.

For 8 Red ISOs.

Enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
On the plus side, the difference between #1200 and #200 is about two hundred points, and there are LOTS of people bundled around that 550-750 point range, so it's easy to climb back up. Getting in that Bullseye Purple range and staying there will require more persistence than anything else.